Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

Honestly I prefer Xbox Live to to Nintendo's or PSN; Frankly, as far as the actual service goes (without the fees), it has the most features. I always loved having an online chat room with my friends while I was playing single player games, or those "secret" team meetings in Gears of War. Microsoft may be screwing the proverbial pooch by introducing "always-online" features but as it is right now, the Xbox and its network isn't bad. Yes you have to pay for the majority of the features, but I don't mind that when the experience is so damn pleasant.

The other thing to keep in mind is that despite the horrible idea of "always-online" features, people will still buy it. A lot of people are rather  ignorant in what hoops they have to jump through (this would be especially true if Microsoft didn't talk about the DRM part much at all between now and release). As long as they get things like timed exclusivity for things like Call of Duty map packs, there will be a percentage of people that buy the console (I know something as simple as map packs shouldn't be a selling point, but you don't know how much some people I know love Call of Duty).

If there is a sequel to Alan Wake I will buy the next Xbox.

• Thumbs Up 3

As for the whole Arcade thing. Xbox Live Arcade has quickly become the worst of the 3 in terms of dev support. Nintendo especially has completely redone their digital program with the introduction of the Wii U, and allows devs the freedom they don't have with Live. Sony too. For one, they both actually allow them to patch their games without paying 40,000 dollars.

• Thumbs Up 6

Or something... I'm not paid to come up with slogans!

Play 4 Yourself?

Play 4 Ever?

Wii Give, U Play?

Wii Won't Force U Online?
Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 3

Dont forget this one hogfather:
Wii let u play local

despite the capabilityies of both systems to do it playstation, and xbox especialy have gotten really weak on local multiplayer, whereas nintendo continues to thrive on it, even with the addition of online play

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo has good local play, but it also had absolute shit online services until very recently, so I think it's even.

It all started on gaming forums, then it moved onto general gaming websites, after which point it spread all over the internet, and now it's the top freaking story on Yahoo, the 4th biggest website in the world:

C95732R.png

The guy who started this all must have had an interesting day at work, to say the least.

This shit blew the fuck up like nothing I've ever seen before, in terms of videogame scandals and blow-ups. It's just incredible.

Hopefully it ends up getting him fired...he was such a jackass.

It all started on gaming forums, then it moved onto general gaming websites, after which point it spread all over the internet, and now it's the top freaking story on Yahoo, the 4th biggest website in the world:

C95732R.png

The guy who started this all must have had an interesting day at work, to say the least.

This shit blew the fuck up like nothing I've ever seen before, in terms of videogame scandals and blow-ups. It's just incredible.

Wow, what a role model. Totally the best way to advertise your system lol he lied.

I don't believe the next Xbox will be always-online. America is Microsoft's main audience, and its internet infrastructure is not good enough for everyone to use the console (nor is it for their other markets). It would never work, and there's a lot of experienced businessmen up there who understand this, and you do need ubiquity for a console to be successful.

Adam Orth is notoriously sarcastic, and this just seems like an ill-advised attempt at media management. Manveer Heir latter tweeted clarifying it was just a joke and Orth was playing with him. Of course, Adam still acted like an ignorant douchebag: being in a high position and making jokes about "always online devices" in that agressive tone is unacceptable for someone representing a company. Spitting on potential customers is likely to get you a nasty response, no matter which industry you work in.

People are assuming this is definite proof that the platform will require a constant connection, but we can't take any conclusions yet.

Edited by Dr. Homem
  • Thumbs Up 4

So we've got Ubisoft delaying the much-anticipated Rayman Legends for over half a year just so it can be released as a multiplatform title, Aliens turning out to be feces pressed on a disc thanks to Gearbox not doing their job, SimCity turning out to be one of EA's biggest fuck-ups thanks to it's always-online DRM, and now the writing more or less on the wall that Microsoft's next Xbox will need a mandatory online connection thanks to their bumbling creative director's tweets of blatant ignorance.

Something tells me that some gaming heads in the West did not carry their brains with them into the new year. :V

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 6

The Western industry is facing more problems than they thought they would but that's not all, Square Enix apparently thought the hugely well-selling Tomb Raider was a "failure"

2012's apocalypse was indeed the beginning of the end, but only for the games industry.

I don't really see it as an apocalypse so much as a welcome purge of publishers that are completely fucking retarded, because honestly I don't think this will affect others that actually understand their market and their own manpower well. Even if not, at the very least we can hope it kills the worst players before the industry itself, lest EA somehow manages to survive a second industry crash.

EDIT: Or am I thinking Activision? You know what, fuck you, it makes little difference in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by The Cheese
  • Thumbs Up 3

Survival of the fittest as it were. Companies with stupidly large overheads and sales numbers that can't match will either be forced to change or collapse. Thankfully the more intelligent developers, first party developers and the indie developers will keep the industry alive for the most part while the purging of idiocy takes place.

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I just say how much I love a lot of indie games lately.

Just yesterday I was thinking "wow I'm really looking forward to Shovel Knight" and then I thought I'm buying way too many indie games.

But wow thinking about it that's ok because you can buy 3-4 indie games for the price of 1 AAA game and the best indie games are so fun and have so many great ideas I love that there's this boom of them. Damn. All the indies except Phil Fish are cool.

Can I just say how much I love a lot of indie games lately.

Just yesterday I was thinking "wow I'm really looking forward to Shovel Knight" and then I thought I'm buying way too many indie games.

But wow thinking about it that's ok because you can buy 3-4 indie games for the price of 1 AAA game and the best indie games are so fun and have so many great ideas I love that there's this boom of them. Damn. All the indies except Phil Fish are cool.

If you're not happy about too many Indie games, remember that Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft (if they don't have always online bullshit) will do everything they can to make sure their first parties aren't the ones to bite the dust.

I'm definitely happy about indie games, I thought my post was pretty implicative of that :?

And Nintendo have been supporting them a lot lately, releasing trailers for them and advertising them on big eShop banners etc.

(i mean obviously not all indie games are good, but luckily only the good ones really get much notice so they're easy to find)

I'm definitely happy about indie games, I thought my post was pretty implicative of that :?

And Nintendo have been supporting them a lot lately, releasing trailers for them and advertising them on big eShop banners etc.

(i mean obviously not all indie games are good, but luckily only the good ones really get much notice so they're easy to find)

I misread your post.

Still, the point stands, not everyone is appreciative of indie games. 

Manveer Heir latter tweeted clarifying it was just a joke and Orth was playing with him. Of course, Adam still acted like an ignorant douchebag: being in a high position and making jokes about "always online devices" in that agressive tone is unacceptable for someone representing a company. Spitting on potential customers is likely to get you a nasty response, no matter which industry you work in.

There is a thing in Twitter called "Direct Messages" which are equivalent to "Messages" in Facebook and "Private Messages" in SSMB. If he wants to play a joke on Heir, he should have used that feature. Or elsewhere where we can't see his jokes. He can't be THAT dumb to use public tweets, when everyone can see them and could, take them "out of context".

• Thumbs Up 1

There is a thing in Twitter called "Direct Messages" which are equivalent to "Messages" in Facebook and "Private Messages" in SSMB. If he wants to play a joke on Heir, he should have used that feature. Or elsewhere where we can't see his jokes. He can't be THAT dumb to use public tweets, when everyone can see them and could, take them "out of context".

That's precisely why he's such an idiot. His point was obviously to make a joke to everyone, while being directed at Heir. The man doesn't know shit about PR and Microsoft should seriously consider firing him.

Microsoft's gotten themselves into some deep shit huh. So, you guys think this is gonna hurt the hype for Microsoft's next console, if it hasn't already.

There's a strong rumor going around that Mr. Adam Orth is no longer employed by Microsoft. He is an ex-creative director. His slip has been pinked. He is without a job, sans career. Where once there was work, there is now none. His services are no longer required. He's been shit-canned, sent packing, terminated, let go.

Thank christ, that asshole can't do any more damage now. 

I've seen enough political scandals involving Twitter to say that yes; someone can be dumb enough to say really fucking stupid shit that they wanted to be private over the public space.