Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

Really? I get about 5 million ads every single time I turn it on. They practically bury the game tab in ads.

Yeah I mean, there are ads but they are the ads of the games, or music in the music section, and not from other stuff. If you are talking of those then yeah we have them here, but not much else. I only remember seeing only one ad that wasn't music or game related and it was an Nike ad. 

When the competitors still did it for free? (citation needed)

They did, but they weren't as well developed compared to what Xbox offered. From what I remember of the PS2's online capabilities, there was no singular online infrastructure like there is now with PSN. Publishers had to use their own servers and had to handle the online functionalities of their games all by themselves. And the Gamecube? Many people forget that it did technically have it, but for some reason only a couple games supported it and the feature obviously died out really early on (I would *love* to know the full story behind what happened there if anyone knows it).

The original Xbox put the online service behind a subscription fee, sure, but unlike with the PS2 and Gamecube it actually knew what the hell it was doing. It had a singular, universal service for publishers to use and also had a pretty good social aspect for the time. The subscription fees were still probably unnecessary, but Microsoft at least had something worth paying for in comparison.

But now? The competitors have more or less caught up and are doing it for free. It's the same sort of thing that happened with Blockbuster. Once upon a time they could get away with late fees because they were the big dogs, but once services like Netflix became available-even before the days of internet streaming-customers suddenly flocked to the cheaper alternative that didn't slap unnecessary fees on everything. But at least Blockbuster TRIED to change its ways towards the end, to get rid of late fees (or claim they did while really just re-packaging them under a new name) and offer their own DVD-mail service. If anything, it sounds like Microsoft is trying to push things even further than they were before.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 1

> Always online

> $500

> Subscription model

> Xbox Live probably still sitting behind a paywall.

> Mandatory Kinect

> Heavily rumored that focus is shifting away from games

*image*

You've become just as arrogant as Sony was, Microsoft. Good job. Now go sit in the corner and think about why nobody wants your stupid console.

You forgot that it will also block secondhand games, which accompanied some of the "always-online" rumors that are more-or-less confirmed at this point.

Edited by Gabe

You forgot that it will also block secondhand games, which accompanied some of the "always-online" rumors that are more-or-less confirmed at this point.

You also forgot no BC, which is a big deal for some. XP

At this point, that would qualify as another nail in the coffin considering it doesn't seem to have any redeeming qualities at this point.

If any person decides to get that subscription model, they'll have to pay $458 in total within 2 years. A nice, well thought tactic by Microsoft to fleece customers.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

If any person decides to get that subscription model, they'll have to pay $458 in total within 2 years. A nice, well thought tactic by Microsoft to fleece customers.

As was expected.

A $99 Xbox is too good to be true.

Edited by Cola

http://blogs.technet.com/b/microsoft_blog/archive/2013/04/08/mediaroom-and-our-tv-journey.aspx

The following is a post from Yusuf Mehdi, Corporate Vice President of Marketing, Strategy and Business for the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft.

Today, Microsoft and Ericsson announced a definitive agreement for Ericsson to acquire Mediaroom, the number one IPTV platform deployed by TV operators around the world. This acquisition is mutually beneficial and strategically aligned for both parties. Ericsson will continue to invest in the growth and success of Mediaroom to the benefit of customers, employees, and the industry. It allows Microsoft to commit 100 percent of its focus on consumer TV strategy with Xbox.

We are proud of the world-class engineering and business achievements within Mediaroom. They have a rich history of driving innovation in IPTV. As early pioneers, they built the infrastructure to stream video on limited bandwidth, and today they enable multiscreen entertainment experiences for pay TV subscribers. Mediaroom has contributed to the evolution of TV and powers 22 million set-top boxes today in 11 million subscriber households.

With the sale of Mediaroom, Microsoft is dedicating all TV resources to Xbox in a continued mission to make it the premium entertainment service that delivers all the games and entertainment consumers want – whether on a console, phone, PC or tablet. And with 76 million Xbox 360 consoles around the world with 46 million Xbox LIVE members, it is a mission that gets us out of bed in the morning.

It is not a mission that we can achieve alone. We want to partner with the industry to deliver the next wave of innovation in games and consumer entertainment. We will partner with content creators, studios, labels, networks, content aggregators, operators and distributors to make this happen. We believe the future of home entertainment is one where TV becomes more simple, tailored and intelligent. We believe the best is yet to come for this industry.

Our vision and energy for the future of entertainment is more focused than ever. Stay tuned.

Well, there you have it.

And here I was, hoping that Microsoft would put the focus back on games... but they won't, because money.

They need to do deals for exclusive games, not more damn TV options. 

And here I was, hoping that Microsoft would put the focus back on games... but they won't, because money.

They need to do deals for exclusive games, not more damn TV options. 

Heh. Welp, Microsoft Game Studios is still labeled a game studio for a reason. And yet, that reason is slowly being supplanted by the phrase 'multimedia experience'. On a game console.

This is exactly why I don't like how for some reason they feel the need to make every console into a multimedia device. People start buying them for that purpose only and spending money on the multimedia functions only, and as a result the companies start focusing on the multimedia aspect instead of...you know: Games. Is it even correct to call today's consoles video game systems? They're multimedia devices that's what they are. Does anyone remember when video game consoles were for gamers and gamers only? Those were good timessleep.png

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is exactly why I don't like how for some reason they feel the need to make every console into a multimedia device. People start buying them for that purpose only and spending money on the multimedia functions only, and as a result the companies start focusing on the multimedia aspect instead of...you know: Games. Is it even correct to call today's consoles video game systems? They're multimedia devices that's what they are. Does anyone remember when video game consoles were for gamers and gamers only? Those were good timessleep.png

But I like being able to watch movies and stream films and even watch telly using my console... in fact it's rare I don't use my PS3 to go onto BBC iPlayer in the evening and watch something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sony's been doing it right with the PS3. They've been adding a lot of media extras to the PS3, but it hasn't stopped them dishing out exclusive games, while Microsoft has only been focusing on the media extras and not enough on exclusive games. 

Exactly. Aside from Halo, Tales of Vesperia and maybe Sakaguchi's games, the 360 has no worthwhile exclusives and i think that's what's gonna happen with the 720 or Durango or whatever is it called.

I'd say that Gears of War makes for quite the grand console exclusive series, but hey, what do I know?

Metro 2033 is also a very good exclusive, but it's a slow burning success, rather than the big numbers on day one kind that the others are.

I'd say that Gears of War makes for quite the grand console exclusive series, but hey, what do I know?

Metro 2033 is also a very good exclusive, but it's a slow burning success, rather than the big numbers on day one kind that the others are.

Gears has really run out of steam though if Judgment is anything to go by. Not really looking forward to endless prequels.

" I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? You've seen literally nothing from Microsoft."

*Biggest clap of hands ever

" I've actually heard from, by the way not one or two people, several people who've said, 'based on what I've seen, Sony is going to blow them away.' Based on what you've seen? You've seen nothing. What are you talking about? You've seen literally nothing from Microsoft."

Precisely.

Ok I should elaborate. I've seen literally nothing from Microsoft... except for bad reports from people who most likely are in the know... so explain to me what Microsoft is doing to quell these rumors... the answer is nothing. And if these really were rumors that had no truth to them at all, considering how much Microsoft loves it's public image, they would be out in a second to put a stop to it.

• Thumbs Up 9

Precisely.

Ok I should elaborate. I've seen literally nothing from Microsoft... except for bad reports from people who most likely are in the know... so explain to me what Microsoft is doing to quell these rumors... the answer is nothing. And if these really were rumors that had no truth to them at all, considering how much Microsoft loves it's public image, they would be out in a second to put a stop to it.

Ya know sometimes I think microsoft knows what its doing when it comes to rumors. Who knows maybe they are just giving the impression that they won't support used games just for the sake of dong it. We really don't know. That is why I reserve judgement and don't start saying things like "OMG MICROSOFT WON'T SUPPORT USED GAMES BECAUSE SOME GUY ON THE INTERNET SAID SO GUESS I'LL BUY A PS4".

For Microsoft to say anything on the rumors would undoutedly confirm features for the console. So no way that's going to happen until they actually want to talk about the console. However it is disheartening that there hasn't been any "positive" rumors that have come out yet. Every single one has been a negative point on the system.

• Thumbs Up 1