Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

And that's the problem with changing tech, it makes backwards compatibility problematic. I'm mainly a PC gamer, these days, which has the added benefit of not needing an entirely different console just to play something old. Occasionally you'll need something like DOSBox for the really old stuff (which comes bundled with games on Steam and GoG that require it, thank goodness), but that's about it.

lol PC gaming master race

Also, adding into the discussion of always-online DRM and stuff like that, these measures put absolutely no thought into the notion that, well, people might actually want to play these games in the future, somewhere along the line. This industry is terrible about preserving bits of its own medium in the long-term, and in many cases, it's causing what could be priceless pieces of gaming culture to just vanish into the ether. When I make my own games in the future, I want to actually be able to preserve them for future generations to come as part of the history of the medium and as part of, well, culture.

Edited by Shirou Emiya

Eh. Don't see a big deal with backward compatibility either. 

And if I remember correctly, the launch PS3 has PS2 compatibility, so I don't understand what you're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think we established several pages ago that this is the only console that isn't going to play games.

• Thumbs Up 5

Eh. Don't see a big deal with backward compatibility either. 

And if I remember correctly, the launch PS3 has PS2 compatibility, so I don't understand what you're talking about.

For future reference, the phrase "I don't see the big deal" doesn't mean "there is no big deal" it means "I have no idea what I'm talking about". It will never win an argument.

Anyway, the backwards-compatible PS3 was never available in my country and got discontinued after a short time. The big deal is that I paid full price for some very good games that I no longer have the means to play. The software is in excellent condition, but the hardware is not sufficiently compatible with my viewing medium and the new hardware is not compatible at all.

Just because you don't experience the problem doesn't mean the problem doesn't exist.

Edited by Emmett L. Brown
  • Thumbs Up 4

*Sean's post*

Oh, hohoho...

Sigh. It just depresses me how I'm just not surprised by this anymore. The next XBox looks more and more craptacular by the moment. I don't want nor need an all-in-one media machine, I have my PC for that, damn it.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 4

I wasn't trying to win an argument though.

No, but you were belittling me. That's not nice.

So......always online equates to the console automatically connecting to the internet when it starts? Unless I misunderstand what I heard, since it's not required for non-online stuff and it won't prevent used games from being used from what I read. 

Because then honestly.....it doesn't sound that bad. I know I'll always have access to decent internet, and it doesn't seem that dickish (in terms of Durango anyway).

So, there will be backwards compatibility for XBLA and 360 games on the NextBox, but in the form of an add-on which hooks up to the NextBox and grants you backwards compatibility...but it wouldn't have a disk drive, so how does that work? It still means that my physical 360 games will be useless and can only play digital 360 games straight from the HDD from the secondary unit!

Edited by KrazyBean

If that rumor is true, Microsoft's "Backwards Compat" = you buy a 360.

BRILLIANT

Yeah, pretty much. If you want to still play with your 360 games, just keep your 360. You're better off doing that rather than buying a "modified 360" with NO disk drive.

Edited by KrazyBean

If that rumor is true, Microsoft's "Backwards Compat" = you buy a 360.

BRILLIANT

So in order to prevent something people hate, like no backwards compatibility, they're introducing something people hate even more, like always online connection for single player games.

The violation of common sense is giving me a migraine.

Honestly, i don't even know what to say anymore. What the hell is going on?

Microsoft is acting stupid and greedy?

That's the only answer I can come up with considering everything I've heard about Durango so far.

This rumor sounds much better than the last few rumors, and I understand that Microsoft's solution to BC may or probably not that efficient, but i think it kind of does the job, I hope they also do a Cloud BC option like Sony.

It basically just sounds like Microsoft is going to try to sacrifice the XBox brand to try to take on Apple TV.

• Thumbs Up 7

It basically just sounds like Microsoft is going to try to sacrifice the XBox brand to try to take on Apple TV.

I thought the Apple TV was a niche?

Why has backwards compatibility all of a sudden become obsolete? What's making companies abandon this sort of concept?

I've noticed that all the rumours for the NextBox so far has been really negative. Then again, a videogame console that doesn't seem to be much about the games but more about films, movie and tv entertainment...it doesn't surprised me at all. I'm awaiting the reveal with bated breath, that's for sure.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

I thought the Apple TV was a niche?

Apple TV isn't the only thing in that segment, but Microsoft has always had a hard on for whatever Apple does.

Why has backwards compatibility all of a sudden become obsolete? What's making companies abandon this sort of concept?

Because it's expensive to implement backwards compatibility unless:

• You built the system off of the hardware of the previous system you're including BC for (See: Sega Genesis -> Master System, GameBoy Advance -> GameBoy and GBC, GameBoy Color -> GameBoy, Wii -> Gamecube, PS2 -> PSX).
  • The hardware you built your system off is reasonably close to the hardware of the previous system you're including BC for (See: 3DS -> DS, PSP -> PSX, Wii U -> Wii)
  • The hardware for the system your including BC for is really simple to emulate in software (See: PSX BC in the PS3/Vita, PSP BC on the Vita)
None of which applies to the PS4 or Nextbox. Or the PS3 and 360 before it, really. That's what happens when you base your system design around purpose built components.

I recall a status some weeks back asking which of the big three they'd rather have go out of business, and the results were overwhelmingly Microsoft. Today, I find that Microsoft has bravely dedicated themselves to the task. Let no one say you didn't go down with excellent customer service, guys. *salute*

• Thumbs Up 3

Because as technology marches on, it becomes harder and more expensive to stuff a console inside another. For some platforms it's easy, for others it's impossible. It's not a question of abandoning a concept, but of using certain hardware and keeping the console at an affordable price point.