Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

Always-on may not be happening after all?! sweet! knew MS had a brain in their heads not to even touch the issue.

Just took an ego-centric asshat to voluntarily get fired to see how fricking pissed off we were about that rumor.

US internet sucks everywhere except for the coasts, so Nextbox is definitely going to suuuuck if it goes always online. When you think about it, it'd be suicide.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh, so that's why Forza was playing like shit today. Was wondering what was up with that.

Microsoft to paint smaller Xbox 720 controller in zebra stripes

xbox-controller.jpg

Worried Microsoft would change the Xbox controller for the new Xbox console? Relax – developer rumours suggest there’ll be no surprises in that department… apart from zebra stripes.

According to website Kotaku, four developers have admitted the controller remains largely unchanged save for a small drop in overall size, which is bad news if you disliked the current D-pad but good news if you loved its palm-caressing curves and have small hands. Unless, of course, the materials and underlying mechanics have been fettled with to improve functionality.

Said developers also stated a rather curious claim – that the current Xbox and controller are covered in zebra stripes for reasons unknown. Current theories suggest any developer that released an image could be traced using the unique pattern, but there’s also the logic of using stripes to help disguise the looks, a tactic employed by car manufacturers to help hide aesthetic changes and to play havoc with a camera’s auto focus setting.

Whether the Xbox 720 itself will have any big design changes remains to be seen, but it’s mere months until the big reveal at E3 from June 11th. Plenty of time to scribble a pleading note to Santa.

I think the zebra stripes are more likely to be form hiding car came or alternatively leak tracking oriented camo as opposed to anything near final. I'm surprised people don't leak the look of these things tho. 

Don't make it smaller you fools.

They didn't say how much smaller it's gonna be. It could be 3% smaller or 30% smaller than the current 360 controller for all we know.

Edited by KrazyBean

It should be 0% smaller.

Yeah, I agree. I love the 360 controller, but it's too big for some so I can see why they wanna decrease its size...as long as it's not PS2/PS3 controller sized, that controller is too small for me.

Edited by KrazyBean

I honestly believe that, minus the D-Pad (it's a big minus) the 360 controller is completely good and ok as it is. I have more problems with the traditional dualshock than I do with the 360 controller. (but the d-pad still sucks)

If they give the Durango controller a good D-Pad and do nothing else different to it it'll be one of the best controllers ever, probably.

• Thumbs Up 4

I honestly believe that, minus the D-Pad (it's a big minus) the 360 controller is completely good and ok as it is. I have more problems with the traditional dualshock than I do with the 360 controller. (but the d-pad still sucks)

If they give the Durango controller a good D-Pad and do nothing else different to it it'll be one of the best controllers ever, probably.

Agreed, apart from the D-Pad (which is just ass, unless you get the controller with the transformable D-Pad) the 360 controller is the best controller I've ever used. It's especially amazing when playing FPS's, the stick layout is great.

I'll be rather disappointed if the controller is much of a departure from the 360 one. It's just the right shape and size, and all it needs to be absolutely perfect is a better D-pad and to be more durable. It's a seriously good controller.

Durable too...I've dropped mine sooooooooooo many times and it still works, even though the sticks are a bit fiddly but hey, the controller is really old right now.

Edited by KrazyBean

Honestly the transformable D-Pad is pretty bad too, it still doesn't feel like it actually.. presses directions, if that makes sense.

So currently the WiiU Pro Controller wins in that department.

The transformable d-pad just makes it easier to press. It still sits on the same mushy, useless base as the d-pad on the regular controllers.

• Thumbs Up 6

Durable too...I've dropped mine sooooooooooo many times and it still works, even though the sticks are a bit fiddly but hey, the controller is really old right now.

I'm thinking about the battery pack having the most flimsy connector that comes out of place easily, the rubber tearing on the edges the analogue sticks and the LB/RB buttons having quite quite fragile springs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The transformable d-pad just makes it easier to press. It still sits on the same mushy, useless base as the d-pad on the regular controllers.

Huh, well, I've never used one before...I've just seen pics of it. LOL.

Huh, well, I've never used one before...I've just seen pics of it. LOL.

It's unfortunate, I remember seeing pics and feeling all excited hoping it comes to UK

And now my friend has one or two and they're barely different in actual gameplay :c

I'm thinking about the battery pack having the most flimsy connector that comes out of place easily, the rubber tearing on the edges the analogue sticks and the LB/RB buttons having quite quite fragile springs. 

Yeah, the battery pack connection is extremely loose. I had to use Blu Tack to keep it in place! KrazyBean's DIY at work.

I haven't ripped the rubber on my sticks but that will probably change when I carry on playing Budokai 3 HD and spin the sticks like a madman. This game destroyed my PS2 controllers in the past.

Edited by KrazyBean

My brother has a couple of the ones for the Halo 4 (?) 360. They certainy look nifty, and it's somewhat easier to use it to go through menus (whereas the regular one can't even do that without fucking up); but you're not going to be using it to actually do anything like you can on the PS3/Wii U.

My issue is that I noticed the thumb sticks tend to ware out after a few months of use with the current controller. I do hope they change the material the thumb sticks use to something else to prevent this from happening with the new controller.

Edited by Stritix
  • Thumbs Up 6

It's obvious that Microsoft is aiming the system towards little kids with expensive internets. That's where the money is.

Wait, you guys have problems with the new D-pad? Um...I don't know if it's any different but I have the GoW3 special edition controller and that D-pad works WONDERS compared to the old, crappy one. At least I can press in different directions properly!

Another developer says "always on" is included in the new Xbox...

"What do I think? Very brave, so to speak, decision from Microsoft. Still, the question is whether or not somebody had to do it sooner or later. I'm not personally worried about it myself because as a player it's doable at my home. Even looking at countries like Poland ... there are people who do not have internet, but probably most of them know that it wouldn't even make sense in their case to own a current-gen console, because without the internet you have like half of it [the experience].

"I don't expect it to be that big of a deal, personally. Still, I'm not [an] advisor on that - if it was up to me I probably wouldn't do it so early."

I can't talk too much about the next-gen Xbox," he added, "but I don't think a lot of people [are] going to be surprised. I don't think it's going to be huge news what's inside, no - seriously."

He could talk about what 8GB of GDDR5 RAM in PS4 meant for Lords of the Fallen, though. "Way more richer detail on all of the assets," he said. "For example, I couldn't even imagine making a tessellated game on the current generation of consoles. It might even be one of the biggest gaps. And on the next ones [consoles] it's going to be standard, in my opinion. And you just can see more on the screen right now, because it's gonna fit and the memory's gonna be fast.""

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-04-22-lords-of-the-fallen-is-a-challenging-pc-and-next-gen-consoles-action-rpg