Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

They do, it's called Sprockets of Combat.

Will it be based in the future with this man leading the army?

Spacely.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Well done Microsoft, well done! Before I make plans on buying a PS4 though, I'll wait and see what they have to say...hope you have a DAMN GOOD explanation Microsoft.

Edited by KrazyBean
  • Thumbs Up 2

Full (end user) announce. Microsoft will fully reveal details about the next Xbox, including the launch lineup of games, on the eve of the E3 tradeshow in early June 2013.

woah woah woah!

This thing plays video games!?

Holy shit, I've been under the impression that this was just a Pizza Ordering Entertainment System

Well this changes everything

not really...

• Thumbs Up 3

I cannot WAIT to see the crowd and hear their reactions to this. And the microsoft rep that has to give that fake grin and announcement and try wowing everyone....that poor soul.(unless it's like the CEO or something. then I have no sympathy.)

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

I'm thinking more that this will be slipped in with little fanfare. Like just a little "Xbox Durango 720 III requires internet connection to use!" on the back of the box.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

I cannot WAIT to see the crowd and hear their reactions to this. And the microsoft rep that has to give that fake grin and announcement and try wowing everyone....that poor soul.(unless it's like the CEO or something. then I have no sympathy.)

Now I definitely have to watch their presentation at E3 this year. This is gonna be a fucking laugh fest.

Microsoft won't be able to hide it at this point, no matter how much they want to underplay it. Sony tried to do that in 2006 with the PS3's cost, and everyone knows how well that went over.

Sony tried to do that in 2006 with the PS3's cost, and everyone knows how well that went over.

Microsoft is already crazy enough to make an always-online console. The floodgates of insanity are open at this point.

But if they meet it head on there's a fairly decent chance that they could at least attempt to justify it. What they absolutely should not do if it turns out to be the case is try to bury the news as if it isn't a big deal, because they won't win that battle.

Surely Microsoft know how bad the reception is? Even if it is real, I doubt it'll be announced at the event itself, maybe quietly in a Q&A afterwards so it gets less press. But hmm, it's still such a strange move to make, surely they know how unpopular this is?

EDIT: Tornado beat me

Edited by SuperLink

Surely Microsoft know how bad the reception is?

They fired Adam Orth over it, so frankly I'll be surprised if they don't know how much they've already pissed people off. What really puzzles me is why they'd go for it regardless of the opposition they've received from the public long before they've even officially announced the fucking thing.

Maybe they think they can still make their money's worth off the truly oblivious and the most dire fanboys out there? =\

• Thumbs Up 1

Always Online means... when Microsoft decide to end support for that Xbox... your machines and all your games are useless... and won't that make you happy?

I'm sure by the time the console stops getting support (geeze, this talking a long time from now huh.png), I'm sure someone would have found a mod/hack to get around this by then. Like some sort of homebrew channel or something similar.

They fired Adam Orth over it, so frankly I'll be surprised if they don't know how much they've already pissed people off. What really puzzles me is why they'd go for it regardless of the opposition they've received from the public long before they've even officially announced the fucking thing.

Maybe they think they can still make their money's worth off the truly oblivious and the most dire fanboys out there? =\

Exactly my thinking x-x how can they still think it's a good idea? How haven't they changed their minds about it?

They can't really. It's not that simple. It's kinda too late. Microsoft developed this Xbox for years, it is set for release this year, developers are in the middle of creating new online games for the console and not only those, but they also created partnerships under always-online (EA and such). They can't simply change the online infrastructure for the new Xbox with a click of a button.

Expected, that always is the typical release month of consoles.

Windows 8 Core. The next Xbox is based on the "Core" (base) version of Windows 8. This suggests a common apps platform or at least one that is similar to that used by Windows 8, and further than Microsoft could open up this platform to enthusiast developers. (That last bit is supposition on my part.)

Well, we have been using bits and parts of win8 in the Xbox OS and windows phones, so were pretty accustom to it. I'm sure we are going to start with the current dashboard and evolve from there.

Price. Microsoft will initially offer two pricing models for the console, offering a standalone version for $499 and then a $299 version that requires a two-year Xbox LIVE Gold commitment at an expected price of $10 per month.

Again, expected. and the subscription model isn't new either considering AT&T has been toting that around for months now.

No entertainment box. Microsoft originally planned to offer both a “full” version of the next Xbox (with video game playing capabilities) and a lower-end entertainment-oriented version, codenamed “Yuma,” that did not provide video gaming capabilities. But plans for Yuma are on hold and no pure entertainment version of the next Xbox will appear in 2013 (or possibly ever).

Good, no need for that yet. maybe in another year or so we can have teh causalz console for those non-gaming kinect wielding peasants. gaming master race ftw!

Blu-ray. The next Xbox will include a Blu-ray optical drive.

Finally! thats been 1 of the 360's weaknesses since launch, they tried the whole HD-DVD thing to remedy it but look how that caught on. just hope this means games don't get a un-needed boost in prices for it.

Internet-connected. The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use. This is source of the “always on”/“always online” rumors and isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe.

Annnnnnnnnnd heres the quote of the day. its vague to be honest he says "to use" doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be on to play games, we could be looking at something like Steam here and with the rumors of Halo coming to Steam getting more concrete we could be having a Steam-Xbox Live partnership coming.

Also he says "isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe", we have been reminded constantly of what the worst case scenario is thanks to various sources, having him say this brings alittle more ease to the situation.

But still, whiteboysdemandanexplationtothisbullshit.jpg

Another Xbox 360. Microsoft will also deliver a third generation Xbox 360 console this year that will be significantly less expensive than the current models. The new 360 is codenamed “Stingray,” but it’s not clear if this device is required because the next Xbox isn’t backwards compatible, or because Microsoft simply wants a low-cost entertainment box alternative. (A third possibility, and to be clear these possible reasons are all speculative: The 360simply has life left in it and with dwindling component prices in the 8 years since the original launch, the firm can still make money selling such a device.)

Good idea. wish they did this for the original Xbox back then and not have dropped it like a lead weight, and they have the gall to celebrate it on its reveal website knowing they dropped it quick and only provided shoddy emulation at best. just hope were not looking at an Wii Mini variant of the 360.

Edited by goku262002
Enough of the slagging off on other members for expressing a popular opinion.

I still don't get why XBOX Live is still a thing. 2013 and you still have to pay to use most of the internet options like PLAYING ONLINE GAMES!

• Thumbs Up 5

Finally! thats been 1 of the 360's weaknesses since launch, they tried the whole HD-DVD thing to remedy it but look how that caught on. just hope this means games don't get a un-needed boost in prices for it.

This doesn't mean the Xbox can play Blurays though. It could mean just Bluray optical disks.

Annnnnnnnnnd heres the quote of the day. its vague to be honest he says "to use" doesn't necessarily mean that it needs to be on to play games, we could be looking at something like Steam here and with the rumors of Halo coming to Steam getting more concrete we could be having a Steam-Xbox Live partnership coming.

What? Rumors of Halo coming on Steam? This is not Microsoft at all. They wouldn't do that. If they are going to put Halo 3 on PC, it will be under Games for Windows Live or something similar that they control.

And you know I am tired of people using Steam as an example. Steam isn't "always online". Steam isn't advertized as "always online". Steam acts like the XBOX Live/PSN today on PS3/360.

Also he says "isn’t as Draconian as many seem to believe",  we have been reminded constantly of what the worst case scenario is, having him say this brings alittle more ease to the situation.

But still, whiteboysdemandanexplationtothisbullshit.jpg

What is Paul suppose to say? "The always online is bad as people thought it will be?" All he can do is stay positive. He's a trusted MS insider after all. You'll be fired if you go against Microsoft.

And that last part could be very well his opinion on the situation.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

This doesn't mean the Xbox can play Blurays though. It could mean just Bluray optical disks.

Its common sense really, why implement Bluray if they don't intend to use it for their disc base on the next gen system? 

What? Rumors of Halo coming on Steam? This is not Microsoft at all. They wouldn't do that. If they are going to put Halo 3 on PC, it will be under Games for Windows Live or something similar that they control.

Yeah, 1, 2, and 3 have been spotted on and off the Steam Database. Plus, Halo 3 has been namedropped in beta PC AMD drivers' code. not only that, but Halo 2 PC's shutdown date was extended to June to "investigate further support options", and 343i was pretty adamant in shutting it down before warning all of us ahead of time. theres something up...

Games for Windows LIVE has been losing allot of steam (lol) over the years due to it competing with Steam. its not a great service and I think MS is starting to see that.

And you know I am tired of people using Steam as an example. Steam isn't "always online". Steam isn't advertized as "always online". Steam acts like the XBOX Live/PSN today on PS3/360.

what is Paul suppose to say? "The always online is bad as people thought it will be?" All he can do is stay positive. He's a trusted MS insider after all. You'll be fired if you go against Microsoft.

And that last part could be very well his opinion on the situation.

Right its not, but the internet connection is required for some aspects correct? we could be looking at something similar.

And he could've just side-stepped the whole issue altogether like they have been doing, but instead he brought it up and said "isn't as bad as people think". your right in a sense that he may be trying to just say forcefully positive because he likes having a job, but again why bring it up in the first place if it really isn't soo bad?

Edited by goku262002

Its common sense really, why implement Bluray if they don't intend to use it for their disc base on the next gen system?

Because now developers can store a lot of data on one disc instead of 3 disks. Cheaper for developers, less hassle for us.

Microsoft aren't part of the Blu-ray Disc Association so it's very possible that they won't license the Xbox to play Blurays. Digital is the future.

It's basically like Nintendo and what they did with Wii U. 

Yeah, 1, 2, and 3 have been spotted on and off the Steam development site (can't recall the name atm, but its the same site we found out about the Sonic 4 PC leak). not only that, but Halo 2 PC's shutdown date was extended to June to "pursue other interests" (not exact quote but close, once I find the article I'll edit), and 343i was pretty adamant in shutting it down before warning all of us ahead of time. theres something up...

Games for Windows LIVE has been losing allot of steam (lol) over the years due to it competing with Steam. its not a great service and I think MS is starting to see that.

IGN posted that article, but Microsoft responded that they have no intentions of being the Halo series to Steam. None. If they did, they wouldn't have responded or just say "can't comment on speculation."

Right its not, but the internet connection is required for some aspects correct? we could be looking at something similar.

Okay this is pretty much guaranteed. You need an internet connection for this new Xbox to work. He made that pretty clear. Do you need to be online to play your single player games? We don't know.

And he could've just side-stepped the whole issue altogether like they have been doing, but instead he brought it up and said "isn't as bad as people think". your right in a sense that he may be trying to just say forcefully positive because he likes having a job, but again why bring it up in the first place if it really isn't soo bad?

Well Adam Orth didn't side-step the matter and look where that got him...

Because if he left it at "The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use.", it's going to sound very bad especially after the backlash.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

Because now developers can store a lot of data on one disc instead of 3 disks. Cheaper for developers, less hassle for us.

Microsoft aren't part of the Blu-ray Disc Association so it's very possible that they won't license the Xbox to play Blurays. Digital is the future.

It's basically like Nintendo and what they did with Wii U. Wii U also uses Blu-ray optical disks.

Ok, plausable. I'll give you that, we will see. 

IGN posted that article, but Microsoft responded that they have no intentions of being the Halo series to Steam. None. If they did, they wouldn't have responded or just say "can't comment on speculation."

re-check my posts, found the sources and NeoGAF found similarities in what they said about Halo CE Anniversary as well. it could be true but then again, PR bull exists for a reason. you can't trust what they say 100%.

Okay this is pretty much guaranteed. You need an internet connection for this new Xbox to work. He made that pretty clear. Do you need to be online to play your single player games? We don't know.

True answering that 1 question would relive allot of people.

Well Adam Orth didn't side-step the matter and look where that got him...

Because if he left it at "The next Xbox must be internet-connected to use.", it's going to sound very bad especially after the backlash.

Adam Orth was just being a downright asshole while sidestepping at the same time, you see that he wasn't really concreting anything but just making wiseass remarks and insulting the costumer base.

Wording is everything, wrong words can lead to backlash, right words can lead to praise. I don't think there is no other wording other then "the next xbox will be an offline/online console" that will truly please people, but the way he worded it makes you think that this issue just may have been blown up alittle bit then whats going to be really revealed.

Btw, what IS the first thing that was said about "always online" for the next xbox? like where was it first ever mentioned that got people started on this. I'd like to see that.

re-check my posts, found the sources and NeoGAF found similarities in what they said about Halo CE Anniversary as well. it could be true but then again, PR bull exists for a reason. you can't trust what they say 100%.

Well can you give me a source? Can't find it. But even if you do give me a source, it's just not Microsoft to upload their games to a 3rd party. Microsoft will have to do Steam sales like every other game in Steam.

Adam Orth was just being a downright asshole while sidestepping at the same time, you see that he wasn't really concreting anything but just making wiseass remarks and insulting the costumer base.

But it really isn't side-stepping if he mentions anything about always online. Even if he was fooling around. He should have kept quiet.

Wording is everything, wrong words can lead to backlash, right words can lead to praise. I don't think there is no other wording other then "the next xbox will be an offline/online console" that will truly please people, but the way he worded it makes you think that this issue just may have been blown up alittle bit then whats going to be really revealed.

Or, he could have never mentioned anything about internet being required at all. Or better yet, tell us once and for all that you don't need to be online like the 360.

Btw, what IS the first thing that was said about "always online" for the next xbox? like where was it first ever mentioned that got people started on this. I'd like to see that.

I don't know what was the first thing mentioned about it, but the first time I read about this was in VGLeaks, somewhere before the PlayStation meeting.

Edited by Ming Ming Suzy

The Wii U doesn't play Blu Rays because Nintendo is purposely going out of their way to enforce the (quite frankly rather Luddite) concept that game consoles should only be allowed to play games with everything else being a bonus rather than a genuine part of the feature set, even if you have to intentionally disable their built-in ability to do otherwise. It also allows them to get around having to spend money on licencing.

Microsoft on the other hand may likely spend untold billions turning the XBox brand into something to try to corner the goldmine that is the home entertainment market. Not directly comparable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well can you give me a source? Can't find it. But even if you do give me a source, it's just not Microsoft to upload their games to a 3rd party. Microsoft will have to do Steam sales like every other game in Steam.

The NeoGAF links in my previous post are all I can give ya since I found them on HBO to begin with, sources their maybe?

Like I said, Partnership. they don't have to do everything like how Steam does it I'm sure if anything does pan out from this XBL and Steam will still remain their separate services with their own separate deals and whatnot. but they can work cooperatively with one another to build a better PC network and share hit games that were once console only to a PC base thats been wanting more console games come to PC.

But it really isn't side-stepping if he mentions anything about always online. Even if he was fooling around. He should have kept quiet.

Right he should have, thats why he doesn't have a job anymore. remember this is the same dude who bad mouthed Halo before working at Microsoft, I don't think he knows how to shut up. tongue.png

Or, he could have never mentioned anything about internet being required at all. Or better yet, tell us once and for all that you don't need to be online like the 360.

This gets tricky because he could be sworn not to give the concrete answer until the reveal in case MS themselves wants to reveal that. he can give answers like what he did but not a solid yes or no like we want. in that case, maybe it was better he didn't say anything like the rest of the PR team has been doing, its too tricky to really give a not-answered answer to a question everybody wants answered.

God that was redundant.

I don't know what was the first thing mentioned about it, but the first time I read about this was in VGLeaks, somewhere before the PlayStation meeting.

Think I remember now. Carbo brought it up sometime back. I'll go take a look at that again. 

Edited by goku262002

The NeoGAF links in my previous post are all I can give ya since I found them on HBO to begin with, sources their maybe?

Like I said, Partnership. they don't have to do everything like how Steam does it I'm sure if anything does pan out from this XBL and Steam will still remain their separate services with their own separate deals and whatnot. but they can work cooperatively with one another to build a better PC network and share hit games that were once console only to a PC base thats been wanting more console games come to PC.

Oh, didn't see those. DX

I kinda fail how this benefits Xbox though. Microsoft providing their exclusives to Steam, meaning Xbox is no longer needed? And PC will always be better than Xbox?

This gets tricky because he could be sworn not to give the concrete answer until the reveal in case MS themselves wants to reveal that. he can give answers like what he did but not a solid yes or no like we want. in that case, maybe it was better he didn't say anything like the rest of the PR team has been doing, its too tricky to really give a not-answered answer to a question everybody wants answered.

But again, he could have just left that out. He doesn't have to mention anything about the internet connection being required if the new Xbox doesn't need it. And it's safer because he's not confirming or denying that way.

Microsoft on the other hand may likely spend untold billions turning the XBox brand into something to try to corner the goldmine that is the home entertainment market. Not directly comparable.

Yeah, but also Microsoft loves to be independent like Apple. They want to do their own things. This is why they launched Xbox Music and Xbox Video not too long ago. Xbox Video streams and downloads HD content and if they continue to bring out blockbuster films and shows there, what's the point of Blu-ray for them.

Remember this Xbox requires you to be online anyway, so you can't say "for offline use".