Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

Someone in the comments pointed out that Kinect isn't on the tree :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Neither are any other peripheral devices. Not sure why it would be there at all, really.

I hope someone turns the power off at the reveal event........or the internet......that alone would make the livestream worth watching!

Edited by Wil348

I'm sure we'll see more blunders besides crappy weather and the tent blowing over (if it does happen) since Microsoft has been consistently known for those since 2010.

A whole new generation of memes is about to be born, not just on Tuesday, but over the coming month.

yi5SriC.gif

EiMa9Uk.gif

kermit-crazy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

.... .... I so want to exploit this image...

Do it after the conference. Then you can make a joke about what the question mark is supposed to be!

I was thinking more having lines going back up the tree to illustrate when you console RROD's and you have to send it in for a refurb.

I was thinking more having lines going back up the tree to illustrate when you console RROD's and you have to send it in for a refurb.

I had to do that last year with my Xbox 360 Elite and pay for it, since it was out of the 3 year warranty. It had lasted a good 4 years (iirc) before that, though. They were pretty quick with the repair, too. I hope they have a better launch this time and there are no technical problems like that. 

Wow, it's really been eight years. Good thing I can keep XBox games released in the last eight years and continue playing them on the next generation console. Oh, at least the PS4 will have downloadable titles, just like the PS3 which had an online library consisting of approximately zero of the PS2 games I wanted to continue playing. Disgaea? No. Shadow Hearts? Nope. Kingdom Hearts? Hah, no!

In the interest of fairly divided cheap shots, I'm now interested to see what kind of brand new unspecified hardware fault the new XBox will have. I hope the error lights form a Pac-Man face this time.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about 8th Gen is the demand for it (or lack thereof).

I mean wow, it's been a long time since the 360 and PS3 came out, 7-8 years, that's very long for a console gen. I don't remember many console gens in history lasting that long until their successor. SNES, PS1 and PS2 lasted about 6 years, N64, XBOX and GC only lasted about 4 years each too.

And yet with the ends of their respective gens, their userbases were begging for new systems. Now.. as much as I welcome the PS4, I don't see the demand for it like I did for new consoles back then. People are under the impression that the PS3 still has so much untapped potential (which I agree with) and its game releases aren't slowing at all, in fact, they're probably peaking.

Methinks 8th gen systems are going to last a very long time, take a long time to become successful, but be successful for a long time when that happens and when they become affordable.

Edited by SuperLink

There's also the fact that, hardware-wise, there's really not much to differentiate the next-gen systems from this one. I mean, in previous gens, there was a massive obvious visual boost compared to the gen before it (except when the Wii completely threw everything for a loop by not doing that). The Wii U followed in its predecessor's footsteps instead of catching up, and the PS4, well, is so far only a incremental upgrade. On the hardware horsepower side of things, there isn't anything remotely groundbreaking with the next generation thus far, and probably won't be for a long, long time, if ever.

Edited by Shirou Emiya
  • Thumbs Up 3

The man is like Microsoft's unofficial mouthpiece, he knows his shit and I wouldn't doubt what he says. Also posted it in the reveal event topic, as I felt it had relevance there too.

I thought this was that topic, hence why I posted it =p

Wait, what does that even mean?

It means the subscription model he spoke about previously has been scrapped.

My theory is that someone at Microsoft convinced the guy in charge that it's customers could do basic mathematics and discovered that nobody would buy the subscription model as it was more expensive.

There's also the fact that, hardware-wise, there's really not much to differentiate the next-gen systems from this one. I mean, in previous gens, there was a massive obvious visual boost compared to the gen before it (except when the Wii completely threw everything for a loop by not doing that). The Wii U followed in its predecessor's footsteps instead of catching up, and the PS4, well, is so far only a incremental upgrade. On the hardware horsepower side of things, there isn't anything remotely groundbreaking with the next generation thus far, and probably won't be for a long, long time, if ever.

More or less, yes. The video game industry has pretty much reached a peak in graphics capability... have you seen the graphics in the newer Call of Duty games? They look like live action movies in places.

I think the newer generation consoles aren't really going to be increasing the capabilities, so much as making them much more affordable. Processing power doubles approximately every 18 months... hence why we've been able to keep shrinking the size of the consoles without harming quality. This generation's likely to see a much more sluggish advancement, which means the older technology will become cheaper and more widespread.

Which is good, because I think gaming's kind of hit a roof in recent years. I remember originally you could buy all the consoles for 600... now you're lucky if that will buy you one. I think gaming's growing much, much faster than its market can keep up. This explains why indie games have gained so much steam, really.

Hopefully as time goes on we'll see an evolution akin to computers with graphics and storage capabilities and the like: they become more compact and cheaper, allowing smaller companies to get in on that pie. As it stands the amount of money going into development for a lot of titles is just absurd, and has great risk of squeezing many of the smaller dev teams.

Given that the console has now been revealed, and it has its own thread, I have elected to close this topic down, as it no longer has a purpose.

Have fun in the new thread, and play nice!