Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

I thought the next Xbox was codenamed "Durango".

Consoles have numerous codenames throughout their creation and development periods.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumor: New Xbox 720 codename is Kryptos. The "Oban" chip is delaying production because of "painfully low" quality.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/11/xbox-720-ps4-codenames-revealed-microsofts-oban-chip-detailed-rumour/

SemiAccurate reports – via supposedly internal sources – that Microsoft’s next console will run on an AMD chip codenamed ‘Oban’, which was rumoured to go into mass production before the end of 2012. However, the same site also reported onproblems with the chip’s manufacturing with one source calling the component quality ‘painfully low’. The issue is rumoured to have cause production delays.

The site also claims that its inside sources are now referring to Xbox 720 as ‘Kryptos’, rather than the much-touted ‘Durango’ moniker that is apparently used internally at Microsoft.

RROD 2.0?

Also forgot to mention this but Marcan, the hacker who found the Wii U clock speeds, mentioned that apparently the last kit had a 1.6 ghz clock speed. It doesn't mean much but it's some food for thought.

• Thumbs Up 3

Isn't the Wii U clock speed roughly around 1.2 ghz? Or am I wrong? 1.6 certainly doesn't sound like much.

And the components... Geez, who designs MS' console hardware? That's just stupid.

Rumor: New Xbox 720 codename is Kryptos. The "Oban" chip is delaying production because of "painfully low" quality.

http://www.vg247.com...etailed-rumour/

RROD 2.0?

Also forgot to mention this but Marcan, the hacker who found the Wii U clock speeds, mentioned that apparently the last kit had a 1.6 ghz clock speed. It doesn't mean much but it's some food for thought.

Clock-speed of what?

CPU. It's only a couple decimals above the Wii U.

Much like the Wii U or, well, anything, it doesn't really mean much until the way they'd operate are dissected.

.....That's pretty slow.....The PS3 and 360's CPU's were clocked at 3.2GHz.

Then again, I have no idea what the performance per GHz is so....

In this day an age ghz isn't the be all and end of CPU performance. Pentium 4s from years ago hit 3ghz but a modern day i3 clocked way lower would smoke it.

The 1.6 clock does seem kind of slow though, but it'[s impossible to judge until we actually see it in use. hopefully the lower clock speed means it'll run a little cooler than the 360 >.>

I assume the lower clock speeds and different architecture is just a way to avoid the overly loud and hot systems of the past generation.

I assume the lower clock speeds and different architecture is just a way to avoid the overly loud and hot systems of the past generation.

That's not really an issue seeing as the PS3 Slim and Slimmer are both significantly quieter and run cooler than the original Phat (through use of smaller maunfacturing processes, more efficient fans etc), so the clock-speed isn't really that much of an issue in that respect.

I dunno, 1.6GHz just seems awfully low. Even something like 1.9-2.3GHz would seem better (the range of clock speeds Notebook computers typically operate on)

It is low. It's just not low to the extent that it's half of the power of the 360's processor because it's half as fast or anything like that. Think more like the SNES vs. Genesis than Genesis vs. Neo Geo.

It's really just something that developers will have to work around; and we likely won't see many number crunching games on the system (simulators, mostly, but we may see a lack of GTAIV-style games too) as a result.

• 3 weeks later...

Microsoft's 'Major Nelson' counts down to E3 2013
"It's on" on June 11
screenshot_295377.jpg
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384906/microsofts-major-nelson-counts-down-to-e3-2013/

Microsoft 'acquires home automation company for Xbox team'
Tech startup owns patents for controlling living room
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/384912/microsoft-acquires-home-automation-company-for-xbox-team/

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/386816/next-gen-xbox-motion-control-kits-in-circulation/

According to a games developer familiar with the situation, Microsoft has already briefed a number of studios on the next phase in its motion control initiative. Future Xbox plans are so tightly guarded, however, that the source has not seen the development kits in person.

It is not yet clear whether Microsoft will use technologies similar to Kinect for its next-gen motion control plans.

Previously leaked documents drafted in 2010 suggested that Microsoft was planning to double-up on Kinect's capabilities by using 'stereo sensor imaging' - a new technology that uses two separate cameras and microphones to create "full-body hi precision" motion control for multiple players at the same time.

The tag line in the document was "closer, wider, deeper".

The report added that a "dedicated processor", improved microphone, and enhanced RGB cam means that 'Kinect 2' will allow for "four players, sitting or standing" as well as sophisticated technology that can register props such as baseball bats.

Microsoft has sold about 18 million Kinect units, according to the most recent data.

In July last year it began recruiting for work on 'next gen natural user interface'.

In August a Twitter user appeared to have leaked a sample image of Kinect 2 running on a Durango (new Xbox codename) development kit. The image shows two users interacting with Kinect and what appears to be an increased amount of depth and movement data.

The image appeared to suggest that the next Kinect can track individual fingers and the shape of clothes.

In 2011, Sony Worldwide Studios boss, Shuhei Yoshida claimed that existing motion control technologies were "in their own 8-Bit era" - meaning that he felt such devices had significant scope to improve.

Kinect technology is going to be a centerpiece for next Xbox. Shocker.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be utterly hilarious if MS simply called it "Xbox". That being said, I honestly wonder why the hell MS would do that, they'd be effectively walking into the same trap Nintendo did.

Apple have also done that same name thing. GAF has also pointed out that it could easily be a fake, though I don't see why someone would fake a name like that.

tmf_zps9431f25a.png

• Thumbs Up 5

It would be utterly hilarious if MS simply called it "Xbox". That being said, I honestly wonder why the hell MS would do that, they'd be effectively walking into the same trap Nintendo did.

If they called it Xbox 3 it makes it seem weak next to the PS4. They kind of dug themselves into a hole with the 360 naming. 720 seems dumb.

• Thumbs Up 2

Xbox. The all new system from Microsoft, featuring all new games like Tomb Raider, Devil may Cry and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

Xbox. The all new system from Microsoft, featuring all new games like Tomb Raider, Devil may Cry and Need for Speed Most Wanted.

So fresh! So new! Such a vibrant gaming future.

>Nintendo goes back to normal game controller just with a giant touch screen in the middle

>Microsoft focuses on motion control

NINTENDO'S MASTER PLAN IS FINALLY SHOWING ITSELF

• Thumbs Up 6

>Nintendo goes back to normal game controller just with a giant touch screen in the middle

>Microsoft focuses on motion control

NINTENDO'S MASTER PLAN IS FINALLY SHOWING ITSELF

It helps that MS chose the most hilariously impractical kind of motion control as well. There is no way in hell any future iterations of Kinect are gonna be any better.

(Hopefully this is topic worthy)

Source

If this ends up being true E3 sure is going to be awkward for Microsoft. This is just a rumor so don't take it too seriously.

So anyways, thoughts?

If this is true, Nintendo is about to get rich.

It helps that MS chose the most hilariously impractical kind of motion control as well. There is no way in hell any future iterations of Kinect are gonna be any better.

It says something when I've only used my Kinect three times and I've owned it for almost two years.

• Thumbs Up 1