Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

VGLeaks revealed info on Durango's GPU.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=511579

In a couple of words: it's not that great. At least, it's not as good as most people expected it'd be. If the Orbis leaks are of any indication, it's roughly only half of that, and depending on what techies will deconstruct from the Wii U GPU chip and how much customization and legacy features Wii U's GPU is slated to have, it's only a minor jump's improvement over that.

Kind of troublesome because this might prove to be one of the generations with more drastic gaps between consoles, and it could severely end up knee-capping multiplatform ports throughout the board.

>Always needs online connection

>No second-hand gaming

So, Microsoft confirmed for fucking up their next console if it's true.

• Thumbs Up 6

Edge sources: Next-gen Xbox games 'will require online connection'

Microsoft set to block second hand games sales, claims source

Well if thats true, hasta-la-vista Xbox. Both those things will not be popular at all, especially the second hand thing. Though if they actually went through with the online connection thing, what are they going to do? Have a lable on the box saying 'Online connection required for play?' Thinking of the number of people that would buy one and not have a constant online connection is a bit of an uncomfortabe thought.

Though for those who do have a constant connection, what happens if your internet connections cuts off for a moment, is it going to shut down your game?

So, Microsoft confirmed for fucking up their next console if it's true.

I think this video says it best... Microsoft are the aliens... everyone else are gamers.

> Always-online DRM console-wide

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA OH WOW.

If this is true, MS are making the same mistake Ubisoft did with its always-online DRM for some of its PC games. Many gamers will not tolerate that garbage. MS are practically shooting themselves in the gut if it is true.

Yeah, no way in hell am I buying the next XBox if that's true.

Edited by Masaru Daimon

Alright, I don't like Microsoft, like, at all, but something tells me that they're not that fucking stupid.

Not really, there are a lot of hardcore Xbox, Halo and CoD fans. Xbox fans can't live without Halo. So this might take a hit, but if they announce Halo 5 along with the next Xbox, it probably won't matter.

I've felt for a while now that the big games-makers have lost touch with how many people DON'T have good, fast, and/or constant online connections.  Okay, yeah, MS is probably looking at the gamers who currently have 360s and XBox Live, who are most likely to upgrade in the first year or so.  People in my area are not likely to be dashing out to buy a new XBox, so they don't really matter to MS right now.  But after a few years, when new consoles have dropped enough that they can afford to get one for the kids?  They won't be buying XBox (or will be really unhappy when they do) because they won't be able to play without ready internet access, which a lot of people around here don't have.  So as well as alienating current gamers who dislike the idea, MS is shutting themselves away from potential new customers.  I'm relatively unusual in this area, as I do have DSL, and it is not nearly as stable as I'd like, to the point that I'm not sure I could get a game like SimCity (which will neither run nor save unless you are on the internet right then) to run reliably.  But they weren't going to sell me an XBox anyway; I'm not interested in any of the exclusive games and I don't much like MS to start with.

But making it harder to add new customers is really poor business strategy.

If Microsoft execs thought that watering down an iconic GUI that had been around for decades in favor for a tablet/touchscreen-modeled GUI with a steep learning curve for their new iteration of their desktop/laptop-based OS is how to successfully combine business multitasking and productivity of desktops and laptops with casual-friendly usability of tablets together, than I'm pretty sure their heads are far up their asses enough to even consider developing a videogame console that is required to be online 24/7 that also cockblocks any used games whatsoever a good idea.

[/rant]

Edited by Gabe
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well, from a design perspective I can see why they'd like all of their products to have a similar GUI. But, that said, I hate it regardless xD.

Considering the leaked GPU isn't anything spectacular, that throws a wrench in the whole multiplatform thing this generation. I suppose if they focus on just Durango and Wii U it would be ok but, I don't know want to see Orbis left out in the cold.

If Microsoft execs thought that watering down an iconic GUI that had been around for decades in favor for a tablet/touchscreen-modeled GUI with a steep learning curve for their new iteration of their desktop/laptop-based OS is how to successfully combine business multitasking/productivity of desktops/laptops with casual-friendly usability of tablets together, than I'm pretty sure their heads are far up their asses enough to even consider developing a videogame console that is required to be online 24/7 that also cockblocks any used games whatsoever a good idea.

[/rant]

I fully endorse all MetroIU hate. Got a new laptop that came with Win8 installed and after struggling for half an hour with the casualized, obtuse interface just to find the stupid control panel, I downloaded a shell that makes it behave like normal windows (read: useable).

Considering the leaked GPU isn't anything spectacular, that throws a wrench in the whole multiplatform thing this generation. I suppose if they focus on just Durango and Wii U it would be ok but, I don't know want to see Orbis left out in the cold.

lol qué

Going by those leaks, Durango and Orbis will be pretty much equal with regards to multiplats / third party support. Sometimes there will be a couple frames on one or better AA on the others, but negligible differences.

I don't get why you'd put the thing closer to WiiU specs. It's much ahead.

If Microsoft execs thought that watering down an iconic GUI that had been around for decades in favor for a tablet/touchscreen-modeled GUI with a steep learning curve for their new iteration of their desktop/laptop-based OS is how to successfully combine business multitasking/productivity of desktops/laptops with casual-friendly usability of tablets together, than I'm pretty sure their heads are far up their asses enough to even consider developing a videogame console that is required to be online 24/7 that also cockblocks any used games whatsoever a good idea.

[/rant]

Windows 8 isn't that bad. Have you used it?

And besides, desktop mode still exists (in fact its where you launch any software which isn't an "App").

I fully endorse all MetroIU hate. Got a new laptop that came with Win8 installed and after struggling for half an hour with the casualized, obtuse interface just to find the stupid control panel, I downloaded a shell that makes it behave like normal windows (read: useable).

All you had to do was type "Control Panel" and it would appear in search. You don't even have to look for the search bar. Literally just start typing and it will appear.

It ain't that hard. Took me all of 30 seconds to learn how to use it...Jheeze

In any case, this is tangential

Edited by Scar

Okay...I can't resist...

We will boycott this POS console by buying new Xbox 360 consoles instead! That'll learn them!

(Post the reference and get a free like :3)

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile
  • Thumbs Up 2

Windows 8 isn't that bad. Have you used it?

And besides, desktop mode still exists (in fact its where you launch any software which isn't an "App").

1. Opinion.

2. Yes. I did not like it very much.

3. Hence I said a "watered down" version of it.

I'll just stop here before this goes off-topic.

Okay...I can't resist...

We will boycott this POS console by buying new Xbox 360 consoles instead! That'll learn them!

(Post the reference and get a free like :3)

A excellent plan! Just like how successful retro Sonic fans were by boycotting Sega and Sonic 4 by buying copies of the first Sonic ga-hey wait a minute. :U

Edited by Gabe the Grinch
  • Thumbs Up 1

1. Opinion.

2. Yes. I did not like it very much.

3. Hence I said a "watered down" version of it.

I'll just stop here before this goes off-topic.

I did.

Minor Edit in OP, for clarity.

Edited by 743-E.D. Missile