Awoo.

Xbox 720 / NeXtBox / Durango / Infinity

Red Cap

With their competition keeping the status quo, it would take nothing short of the highest point of arrogance to block used games. They would get killed.

Indeed, however they could do much to lessen the damage if they made all downloadable versions of retail games comparable in price to, say, XBLA title. Not that they'll be doing that any time soon...

My 360 collected a good bit of dust during its lifetime.  As long as there are good games being made, I don't care what platform I buy them on.  Just bring on the content.

The CVG article has been updated.

[uPDATE: Microsoft partner Ustechs, which has worked with the platform holder on previous media briefings such as the E3 2012 press conference, has registered the domain XboxEvent.com (as explained on NeoGAF)]

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/392950/industry-expects-microsofts-response-to-ps4-in-april/

Whatever Microsoft does...they better get rid of those damn Microsoft Points.

Why? I like them since I'm not allowed to use my parent's credit card info online. 

Why? I like them since I'm not allowed to use my parent's credit card info online. 

Sony and Nintendo use real amounts and you still don't have to use a credit or debit card. You can buy cards with the money on with cash at a store.

Nobody's advocating that they get rid of gift cards. It's the whole system of using points instead of actual currency. Like, say I want to buy a game for 800pts. I've got to buy a 1200pts card or something, which is like way more than I wanted to spend. So then those leftover points are just sat there in my account doing nothing. It's a waste, and really not at all helpful when you want to keep track of what you're spending.

Sony have always used real money, and Nintendo made the switch to real money with the Wii U. You can either pay by credit/debit card, gift cards you credit to your account or a mixture of the two.

• Thumbs Up 8

Nobody's advocating that they get rid of gift cards. It's the whole system of using points instead of actual currency. Like, say I want to buy a game for 800pts. I've got to buy a 1200pts card or something, which is like way more than I wanted to spend. So then those leftover points are just sat there in my account doing nothing. It's a waste, and really not at all helpful when you want to keep track of what you're spending.

Sony have always used real money, and Nintendo made the switch to real money with the Wii U. You can either pay by credit/debit card, gift cards you credit to your account or a mixture of the two.

Fair enough. I didn't know what those consoles use as I own neither of them.

Nobody's advocating that they get rid of gift cards. It's the whole system of using points instead of actual currency. Like, say I want to buy a game for 800pts. I've got to buy a 1200pts card or something, which is like way more than I wanted to spend. So then those leftover points are just sat there in my account doing nothing. It's a waste, and really not at all helpful when you want to keep track of what you're spending.Sony have always used real money, and Nintendo made the switch to real money with the Wii U. You can either pay by credit/debit card, gift cards you credit to your account or a mixture of the two.
On top of that, Nintendo's points system was always easy to understand. 2000 points? Oh, just move the decimal over two places and it's $20.00 Microsoft Points have always had this dumb exchange rate and confusing amounts. 1600 points = $20. It makes more work for the consumer and isn't as simple. I pray they get rid of MS points.
  • Thumbs Up 4

If I'm perfectly honest, all the games Sony showed didn't really impress me...with the exception of Watch_Dogs, which is going to be a multi-platform game anyway.

As for the social stuff...I really don't care. I really like the idea of livestreaming though and watching your friends play in real-time without being there (like OnLive, remember that? rolleyes.gif), but I HARDLY use social networking sites anyway.

What games are Microsoft going to show anyway? Halo 4 just came out so no Halo 5, Forza Horizon came out recently but they'll most probably show Forza 5 and GoW: Judgement is not even out yet. Why can't you get some new IPs Microsoft?! I have a feeling that they will show a lot of arcade game though, hopefully some Twisted Pixel ones (I LOVE their games). The 360 always focused a lot more on arcade games than the PS3.

They'll shove the Kinect down our throats though, I promise you that.

Edited by KrazyBean

Didn't Nintendo ditch the points system on the Wii U, or did I just dream that?

Yeah. 3DS and Wii U use real money. It just makes things so, so, so much easier. I don't expect MS to change the system though. Nintendo are making marked efforts to improve their online, MS doesn't really need to change.

By the way, have you guys checked out the Occulus Rift? Apparently Microsoft will make something along the lines of that or partner with Occulus to bring VR gaming to the NextBox...although it is just a rumor.

Yeah. 3DS and Wii U use real money. It just makes things so, so, so much easier. I don't expect MS to change the system though. Nintendo are making marked efforts to improve their online, MS doesn't really need to change.

Sad thing is I can almost read MS points and see the $ equivalent. They've trained me so well that when I see 800 MSP, my brain sees $10. :P

But yeah, seeing the $ amount is the best.  

• Thumbs Up 2

We now have a second source claiming that the new Xbox is an 'always on' machine and will block used games.

Ian Livingstone, the Eidos president has been talking about the next xbox and said something that has a few alarm bells ringing.

With the next Xbox, you supposedly have to have an internet connection, and the discs are watermarked, whereby once played on one console it won’t play on another. So I think the generation after that will be digital-only.”

Now is he responding to the rumors a few weeks ago that it would be an always on system which had a blocked used game feature? Or is this a big hint at what he actually knows?

Source

• Thumbs Up 1

Microsoft is going to be pretty silly now that Sony has made it clear that the most they will do is let publishers decide.

Yeah, potential disastrous move on Microsoft's part. Especially if this goes public in a big way. I'm sure even casuals would be pretty pissed if they can't buy used games. I'm a fan of competition, but surely Microsoft isn't stupid enough to include a feature that will likely negatively impact the viability of their next console.

• Thumbs Up 2

Microsoft renews Project Gotham Racing trademark ahead of rumoured next Xbox reveal
Competitors, please start your hype engines
http://www.oxm.co.uk/50554/microsoft-renews-project-gotham-racing-trademark-ahead-of-rumoured-next-xbox-reveal/

FlatOut dev unveils "definitive demolition derby racer" for unannounced platforms - first in-game video
"We're calling it just our next car game for now."
http://www.oxm.co.uk/50564/flatout-dev-unveils-definitive-demolition-derby-racer-for-unannounced-platforms-first-in-game-video/

Microsoft is going to be pretty silly now that Sony has made it clear that the most they will do is let publishers decide.

What if publishers side with Microsoft? Seems perfect for them to get that $$$.

EA and Microsoft sign next gen exclusivity deal, may involve Battlefield 4 and Respawn's new IP - sources
Microsoft to unveil "key" EA partnership at next gen Xbox conference
http://www.oxm.co.uk/50617/ea-and-microsoft-sign-next-gen-exclusivity-deal-may-involve-battlefield-4-and-respawns-new-ip-sources/

Maybe this is why EA weren't at Sony's conference.

EA and Microsoft sign next gen exclusivity deal, may involve Battlefield 4 and Respawn's new IP - sources

Microsoft to unveil "key" EA partnership at next gen Xbox conference

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50617/ea-and-microsoft-sign-next-gen-exclusivity-deal-may-involve-battlefield-4-and-respawns-new-ip-sources/

Maybe this is why EA weren't at Sony's conference.

Now I'm afraid....With EA involved I can see all that anti pre-owned and online key crap being true.

I hope not .sad.png