Awoo.

Dragon Ball Evolution

The Blue Dude

Why the hell should 3 star be considered a BAD movie? You have a weird rating system there.

What is it's 3 stars out of 10? Then you can consider that as a bad movie. =o

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

• TheGerkuman

• Hawkz

• Johnny Sasaki

Something tells me this film will have a sequel whether it's a hit or not. Just look at The Pink Panther remakes.

Something tells me this film will have a sequel whether it's a hit or not. Just look at The Pink Panther remakes.

Oi. I liked the first Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin and Beyonce. That one was decent. D=

But the sequel = crap. Don't recommend it to anybody.

True... But they made it more like a alternate storyline more then following the basic story that was already in place and did a very bad job rewriting it from what information we have on the movie. Along with a few of the major characters missing it could cause problems if they ever do do a second movie which will most likely happen cause everyone will see it just to say that they saw it. Hater or not.

Oi. I liked the first Pink Panther movie with Steve Martin and Beyonce. That one was decent. D=

I never said it wasn't decent, but the reception wasn't very positive that's what I meant ^_^ It seems even badly received films, even if some people do like them, get sequels made.

As for James Marsters beng Piccolo, I'm distracted by his pretty blue eyes <3

Piccolo isn't meant to be cute looking! XD

Btw, the film will be released in Japan and Hong Kong in 2 days. US and UK have to wait 'til April.

*Ahem

DB Sequel Already in the Works

Dragonball: Evolution actor Justin Chatwin(aka: Goku)has publicly stated that he already has a script for a second live-action Dragonball film written. Chatwin added that if the sequel is green-lit, "The second one goes more into the whole legacy and the genealogy of Dragonball. It goes more in-depth into a real Dragonball series, the kind of intergalactic world of Dragonball.” This follows actress Jamie Chung's(aka: Chi Chi)recent statement saying, "We're signed on for two more,” in regards to sequels of the film. There are actors who have signed on to take roles in sequels according to Chung. She hopes this film project will go far as she concludes "Hopefully, I hope the movie does well. There's lots of places that Fox wants to go with this."

Thanks for telling us this! I'm sooo gonna tell my mates tomorrow! XD

This movie.....might make alot of money...but that dosen't mean it has to be good.

Anime and Live action dosen't mix correctly IMO.

...and you know what's funny? Sequels in movies usually suck worse than the first. XD

Despite the horrific case of Adaption Decay, it'll probably be better than, say, Twilight. Still be shit, though.

Fuck

What's up with Hollywood and shitty movies?!

1e1881e45da087ab86bb2b7f071b690a.jpg

"I KNOW! Also, what's up with these internet people judging a 1 hour 30 minute movie on a 2 minute trailer?! I mean... What's That About?!"

Remz: Thank Dick someone in this thread has a brain.I would also like to know the impressions.

It's pretty farking obvious it is not going to be Lost in Translation or The Godfather. Sitting around and bouncing on the spot repeating the same gibberish about the movie being bad makes you all seem like retarded gummi bears on Nutmeg; it's depressing lol XD

EDIT: Sorry, had to address this shitmanry:

Urrr yes. James Wong (The Director) wanted this movie to become a masterpiece. He had high expectations. So did 20th Century Fox. If they knew it's fail, they wouldn't had started directing this movie in the first place. ^.^

But yeah, 20th Century Fox and the others are running out of ideas so they are bringing adaptions of anime and video games in to live-action...

I lol'd

They didn't expect it to be a masterpiece. They hired the guy who made Final Destination 3.... Whoa shit, that's some high calibre dramatic mastery of film right there! I can imagine it now:

"Mr Wong, we just got a call from your daughter...."

"Please, go away... I'm creating!... GOKU, Those are not kamahamaha's! THESE are Kamahamaha's!"

They didn't direct it to make a masterpiece, they made it to get on the cash cow (as you pointed out, anime and video games). If you believe they made this movie to appease fans, you are laughably mistaken. This is nothing more than a quick buck, and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves lol. Expecting or demand a masterpiece?

LOL

Edited by Hawkz

Warning: The below link is LADEN with spoiler notes, but worthy of a read if you don't really care (like me lol). The review was written by what is claimed to be a self proclaimed DB/DBZ fan, so I believe it to be somewhat balanced.

AICN Correspondant reviews DB:E

Double post is worthy. An AICN correspondent has seen the new Dragonball Movie, and as expected, the movie did not leave any real positive lasting impressions.

However, as the review states, this does not make the film bad at all. In fact, the review states the film is around the mediocre area. It wasn't completely bad, and it wasn't completely good. Some things to note from this review are:

* Picollo is green THROUGHOUT the entire film in the scenes he appears in (phew), Masters is great in character and he has very little screen time.

* Chatwin did a surprisingly decent job of Goku (most parts he nails, some parts seem wooden due to the script, according to review)

* Rossum was a disappointment as Bulma.

* Chow Yun Fat is same old pervert Roshi.

* Joon Park sounds almost the same as the Yumcha Funi Dub VA.

All in all, it;s about what I expected. It isn't a faithful (or good) adaptation of the source material, but it is fun and worthy of a viewing if you are a fan of the source material.

It depends on what you count on the scale as good really. I mean, I know as a fan of the series I want it to be really good, but on the other hand I know that Mr. Toryama's work isn't exactly shakespeare either.

Still, a mildly enjoyable film seems to be a good place to end up considering the amount of people who think this is going to be terrible.

Although I'm not too sure about this 'Here we go again' style ending. I would've liked some Raditz.

• 3 weeks later...

The Real Budget for the Movie is $45 Mil and 6 MORE MOVIES!?

What the hell?!??

A newspaper in Chile ran an article on Dragonball: Evolution, and in it the budget of the movie was unveiled. According to the paper, the production budget was only 45 million, much less than the previous $100 million estimates. What this means is the film has already made about half its budget back in Asia alone.

So your telling me that the film was $45 million to make?!?! Not $100 million!!?

Now I get! Now I get it! I mean, a $100 million movie will look better then this. Right?!

Danm 20th Fox, you got us there. $100 million...Why didn't I see this coming.

So who put that $100 million budget info?....IMDB? Wiki? I know how much they love to edit things around and mess with ppl.

There’s really no doubt now that the film will be profitable, and so sequels are a definite possibility. IGN spoke with Justin Chatwin (Goku) and James Marsters (Piccolo) who were incredibly enthusiastic about the idea… Marsters even wants 6 more films!

He went on: “All I know is I’ve been signed to three movies, but I would like to make five — seven of them. You could just pretty much paint by numbers using the wealth of source material to easily get the seven films. There’s that much there.”

Meanwhile, Chatwin is also obviously thinking about Dragonball as a series of movies, with the actor seeing Evolution as an introduction piece to the wider universe.

He said: “There’s a whole generation of kids waiting to be introduced to Dragonball, so this first movie is really important for that. I mean the main plot is the battle between Piccolo and Goku, but this first film still serves to introduce the characters and where they’re from and what they’re deals are. And so to cover that ground really takes up most of the first movie.”

He goes on: “I know what they have in store for the second one and it’s really cool! It’s more in the vein of the Dragonball saga… it goes into other places, there’s other characters, other fighters and there’s a lot of action that is just really awesome.

“It actually goes more into Dragon Ball Z land and it’s just really exciting. It goes into the whole legend of Dragonball. I cant really say more than that, but it made me think this is a cool franchise to be a part off because there’s so much we haven’t shown yet.”

Well, I know is this: The next film will be more of the DBZ side then this movie. I just read in the begining of the film, Goku get him self killed. Thats all I know. But 6 movies!?!?!? To much man, to much. 3 is decent number for a movies series but 6!!? James Marster is a good actor and all, but come on man....Really? 6 films? Are we going all the way to the Buu saga? Why can't we stop at the frieza saga....WERE IT WAS ORIGINALLY SUPPOSE TO END IN THE MANGA!!!? You can do it, we don't need to see the Cell & Buu saga.

..... I feel happy and sad at the same time!......

See you all soon! ^_^

So $45mil budget and 6 more movies? Aw, crap <_< .

Personally, I see this as the next Super Mario Bros. movie.

Hopefully, just like SMB, I think this movie is not enough to ruin the whole Dragon Ball legacy.

Hopefully, just like SMB, I think this movie is not enough to ruin the whole Dragon Ball legacy.

I hope so! I mean, 6 more movies? They're nuts! >_<

Dragonball Evolution looks so bad I'll watch it to laugh.

I saw the commercial on Nick @ Nite. Is it me, or did they actually get that old man from karate kid to play a part?

No offense, didn't he pass away?

It's made half it's money back, in very little time, in Asia alone. I mean, come on. It can't be terrible then. I mean, I'd go and see a movie like this. At worst it could be 'So Bad it's Good', at best harmless, time-wasting fun. It's good enough for me. But now for some news:

Anime News Network hated this film, but what do you expect? The clue is in the name. ANIME News Network. I wouldn't trust them to do a film review anymore I'd trust a dentist to check my genitals. :P Now, if guys like Ebert or Roper or those guys from the Daily Telegraph dislike it, then it's fair play. It's shaping up to be better than most people feared, and I'm happy about it. I won't even mind sequels, as long as they're as good or better. (hopefully better.)

Edit: And yes, we do need to see the Buu saga. I like Buu. XD

Edit of Edit: Two reviews in on rotten tomatoes, it's a 50/50 split. Variety gives it a moderately favourable review, Screen Daily, a moderately unfavourable one.

A popular Japanese manga series gets a pleasing if paint-by-numbers live-action makeover in "Dragonball Evolution," which half-heartedly tries to keep the faith for its pubescent male fanbase... The unshaven, Hawaiian-shirt-wearing martial-arts sage with a fetish for bikini magazines depicted here may rankle with many, but Chow has a hammy good time and encourages auds to do the same.

Produced by Hong Kong film-maker Stephen Chow Sing-chi but entirely missing his inventive stamp, the film is essentially a bland Hollywood dumbing-down of the books and animated TV series beloved by Japanese and Asian consumers for the last 20 years...Chatwin has a certain peppy energy, Rossum is cool playing against goody-two-shoes type as Bulma and Chow brings his natural easygoing charisma to the part of Roshi, but they all struggle to transcend the pedestrian material.
Edited by Gerkuman.2