Awoo.

Dragon Ball Evolution

The Blue Dude

It's made half it's money back, in very little time, in Asia alone. I mean, come on. It can't be terrible then. I mean, I'd go and see a movie like this. At worst it could be 'So Bad it's Good', at best harmless, time-wasting fun. It's good enough for me.

Probably 99% of the people who watched it was just curious to see if it was really bad.

Or they went to the lolz.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

• TheGerkuman

• Hawkz

• Johnny Sasaki

Dragonball Evolution looks so bad I'll watch it to laugh.

I saw the commercial on Nick @ Nite. Is it me, or did they actually get that old man from karate kid to play a part?

No offense, didn't he pass away?

He passed away indeed and his name was Pat Morita.

Bulma doesn't even LOOK like Bulma. Master Roshi doesn't even LOOK like Master Roshi.

I swear if they make one about BBZ, Future-Trunks better be equally awesome as he was in the anime.

EDIT: BBZ, *LOLs*

Well when it comes to DB it's hard to make the actors look exactly like the anime version.

Really I prefer Bulma the way she looks now in the movie than a girl with a weird looking blue wig.

Just like they did with Halle Berry in the movie X-Men.

And hopefully there won't be a DBZ. A male actor in the role of Trunks with purple hair, wig or dyed hair, just sickens me.

Today's the day. The movie is now out. I'm off in about an hour to go see it. I'll update this post when I get back and tell you guys if it's really worth going to see it.

Has anyone seen it yet though?

Just like they did with Halle Berry in the movie X-Men.

And damn did she look good in all 3 movies! *I'd sooo hit that* Uhhh you didnt read that. Anyways, yeah getting anyone to get goku's hair is like almost impossible. Have you actuallyy payed any attention to the anime? Its like longer than most girls hair. What makes me wonder is how (if it makes it that far) will Hollywood do goku or vegeta going super saiyan? :blink:

Two reviews in on rotten tomatoes, it's a 50/50 split. Variety gives it a moderately favourable review, Screen Daily, a moderately unfavourable one.

I never trust critics, 99% of the time I never agree with their opinions.

What makes me wonder is how (if it makes it that far) will Hollywood do goku or vegeta going super saiyan?

Most likely use special effects. I've seen some fan versions done on youtube and they don't look too bad so with a larger budget who knows how the professionals would handle it?

This movie personally offends me.

Went to the cinema today and loads of kids were going to see it and all i could think was "that movie is going to ruin Dragonball for them"

from what i've seen, it looks like a very bad Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode!

I died a little inside when i saw this online. It could have been so much better.

Just come back from seeing it, not a lot people in the cinema which is a given as sadly only mostly 14+ year olds would probably know what Dragonball is over here. (I believe DBZ hasn't aired for a few years in the UK and only has exposure through video games nowadays)

Anyway, it does have its faults but I don't think it deserves the rep it gets. It's not going to cause Dragonball to be RUINED FOREVER, it's simply a loose adaption and I think we've all seen far worse adaptions (Catwoman says meow). Hell, my friend liked it and he's a bigger DBZ fan than me.

I wish Piccolo had more to do and I liked the little touches such as Goku's appetite in one scene and little hints of Roshi's pervertedness. Sadly, Piccolo lacks any real motivation beyond destroying the world (

) and it's NEVER explained how he got free from that seal.

It's a good time waster and a somewhat decent movie in its own right. Then again, I did enjoy Dead Or Alive...

I saw it today also. I quite liked it. As a film on its own merit, it was rather enjoyable and it was an entertaining hour or so. Based on the Anime though, obviously it is not going to be 100% the same. It was a nice adaptation with references here and there, but really, if you go in expecting more than that, then yes, you will be disappointed.

I went in expecting it to be terrible and was pleasantly surprised!

I died inside. I've just got back and, oh so much is wrong. As the film goes, it's quite good and nicely choriographed. However, if you try and place it into Dragonball, it makes no sence. It just doesn't work at all.

P.S. There was: Me, My Bro, My Mum, 3 kids and another Bloke in there. A whole room preaty much empty.

Just got back from my PACKED DragonBall session over here in Aus.

Cinema was sold out. Quite a suprise really.

Anyways,

The movie itself was better than I expected. That's not to say it was GOOD, but I wouldn't label it a bad movie either.

Purists, fangirls/boys and Otaku will hate it. Anyone who is simply interested in seeing a different vision of the dragonball universe will be slightly amused and entertained.

The acting, while corny and camp, know's it's trying to emulate a comic for young boys, and not a melodrama about space aliens coming and fucking shit up. The story itself takes large liberties with the original manga story, but the dreaded and much loathed High School portion of the movie is up before the quarter is up, Chatwin is actually likable as Goku and the whole cast has obvious fun playing the characters they play.

My main complaint would be the lack of picollo back story (How'd that bitch escape to begin with?!), but apart from that, man, I don't see why people are getting so butt hurt, I'm a fan of Dragonball and all anime; but the sheer anger and rage spewing forth is quite unwarranted when the movie made no real attempts to even resemble the original plot. It took the characters and gave them a new universe to play in.

The movie ends in a way that strongly suggests more movies are in the works, and if they are, I would once again be eager to see where they take it.

Once again, this movie was mediocre at best, but, considering what everyone expected, I wouldn't exactly call this movie a failure. It is a dumb, fun, sometimes funny and a visually awesome ride, and if you got 1.5 hours to waste on a rainy weekend day, you could do a lot worse than Dragonball: Evolution.

This movie bombed as expected. Its a shame. Most of the people on yahoo gave it an 'F".

There is more Fs then any other grade there on the review page. It says C+ was the grade average it got from viewers, but it is not. It did much worse.

3.1 rating on IMDB. Speed Racer in comparison has 6.4 rating. O-o

I haven't seen both anime-based movies but..I think I would prefer to see Speed Racer. Even if you say DragonBall Evolution isn't that bad, I'm not gonna see it. Not even out of curiousity! >>;

Oh yus, and Speed Racer is SO COLOURFUL LULZ. I like LSD scenes in movies. =D

Because Yahoo and IMDB are so qualified, right? I mean, the people there must've seen hundreds of movies, done journalism and media at university and gone to Cannes and other film festivals, surely?

Wait they haven't? I'm not suprised.

Seriously though, as I said before, I'm the sort of person who only goes by critics. As is, I've only found 1 review on Metacritic. XD So thefore, how can it be a flop yet? Also, a bomb isn't to do with rankings, it's to do with ticket sales. And this film is making lots of money, so it can't be a bomb.

This movie bombed as expected. Its a shame. Most of the people on yahoo gave it an 'F".

There is more Fs then any other grade there on the review page. It says C+ was the grade average it got from viewers, but it is not. It did much worse.

3.1 rating on IMDB. Speed Racer in comparison has 6.4 rating. O-o

I haven't seen both anime-based movies but..I think I would prefer to see Speed Racer. Even if you say DragonBall Evolution isn't that bad, I'm not gonna see it. Not even out of curiousity! >>;

Oh yus, and Speed Racer is SO COLOURFUL LULZ. I like LSD scenes in movies. =D

Yeah, and the ratings being so low is all thanks to butt-hurt fans like yourself that refuse to give the movie a chance because it fucked with your precious continuity.

It's so goddamn bad that I'm almost guaranteed to laugh my ass off at it. That justifies a rental, I'd say.

I do have to wonder who the hell they're actually marketing this towards, tho'.

I think they're marketing it to ignorant tweenage-teenage boys who believe in cool. They don't even know what the actual franchise is about, and all they'd see is the movie. Meh, I think people could be in this for money.

I personally, have seen some scenes from the Dragon Ball Series, and coming from someone who has an uncle obsessed about it, and read all those 'fricking reviews, I think this is gonna be EPIC FAIL for those who think this is an accurate depiction of DBZ.

Oh, and if ever Toriyama actually WATCHES the movie, I bet he'll get mad. Like the time when Shotaro Ishinomori demanded that Saban halts any more production of Saban's Masked Rider due to Adaptation Decay. :D

Wait, will those 12-year old boys (I must confess am one year older and have a bit of a mature sense of humor, like say, HIMYM) actually like Dragonball: Evolution?

I haven't seen this movie and of couse growing up with DragonBall I wont like it. But from what I have seen it looks okay, probably wont see it though.

Without spoiling the plot, from those who've seen it: Is Hercule/Mr. Satan in the movie at all? If he is, I'm definitely seeing it.

Without spoiling the plot, from those who've seen it: Is Hercule/Mr. Satan in the movie at all? If he is, I'm definitely seeing it.

I don't think he was in Dragonball at all, was he? Just Z and GT. Correct me if I'm wrong though- I never saw all of Dragonball.

My girlfriend went to see this yesterday in Stockholm, and after reading 18 volumes of the manga but not seeing the anime series, she said it was okay. As a movie, it's not so bad, but like most people have said it doesn't fit into Dragonball at all. A lot of stuff is changed or missing, and she thinks some of the acting wasn't particularly great, but it wasn't as bad as people have been making out.

Jonathan Ross reviewed the film on his show 'Film 2009' this week, I don't know if anyone mentioned it before but he wasn't very fond of it. Pretty much said it's aimed at 7 year old boys and they're going to enjoy it, but everyone else will want to avoid.

I don't think he was in Dragonball at all, was he? Just Z and GT. Correct me if I'm wrong though- I never saw all of Dragonball
Yeah, Hercule only showed up after the Gohan goes to High School period. :0 AKA like 2000 episodes of anime after this movie is set.

Good Movie. Its based of the Manga though if you watched the first set of credits(After which shows another scene). Oh, and yes, I do like Dragonball alot.

Edited by PSI Wind FTW!

Also(Excuse Double Post) if fans bitch & moan about Goku's grandpa being called Gohan, Im gonna laugh