Awoo.

Should Sonic's next game include more playable characters?

Debug Ring

seeing as though sonic team and sega have made a more up to date shadow with the boost

maybe the could add a game to the series with sonic, shadow, FAST silver, knuckles, tails and more

so i know the last main stream game with multiple characters was awful (sonic 06) but that was due to bad gameplay, bugs, and level design but now they could have playable characters with the feel of sonic colours and generations modern

what do you think?

Shitty friends will be there anyway so I say SEGA.... Go all out. You should just say GTFO to all these reviewers and seriously? You shouldnt care about our opinion either. We are broken fanbase and pleasing everyone is impossible. If ST thinks next game should have more playables thab do so, if not then not. They are Developers.

As for me? Yes I would like next Sonic game to feature more playables. No more than 6 tho (others can be unlockable for multiplayer) My list would be:

-Sonic

-Tails

-Knuckles

-Shadow

-Silver

-Blaze

But thats just me. As I said before some people would like to see Amy and others playable and trust me I would love too but then people will say that there are too much "shitty friends" so I made the list consisting of 6 characters with loads of unused potential (yes even Shadow).

Shitty friends will be there anyway so I say SEGA.... Go all out. You should just say GTFO to all these reviewers and seriously? You shouldnt care about our opinion either. We are broken fanbase and pleasing everyone is impossible. If ST thinks next game should have more playables thab do so, if not then not. They are Developers.

As for me? Yes I would like next Sonic game to feature more playables. No more than 6 tho (others can be unlockable for multiplayer) My list would be:

-Sonic

-Tails

-Knuckles

-Shadow

-Silver

-Blaze

But thats just me. As I said before some people would like to see Amy and others playable and trust me I would love too but then people will say that there are too much "shitty friends" so I made the list consisting of 6 characters with loads of unused potential (yes even Shadow).

I like your list of characters. All are fairly fast so the next game would be a fast sonic game no matter what.

I would like to play as other characters again or have the characters do more in the games besides being background characters but knowing that Sega is listening to the Sonic-only or 'shitty friends' crowd that probably won't happen for a long time.

It really depends on what they do with them. If they're just going be completely different characters with crappy mechanics that add nothing to the current gameplay, then hell no, I'd rather have Sonic only than have unnecessary crap in my Sonic games. Plus there's also the amount of playable characters they can have in one game, and then some, really the maximum they can probably get away with is 5 or 6 anything beyond that would really seem unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 2

Should Sonic's next game include more playable characters?

Yes.

Well, that's this topic over.

I can't imagine anyone being opposed to the idea nowadays. Not after everyone in the fanbase has been crying for more characters since Unleashed and SatSR set the new Sonic-only standard. Now the real question is who. We can't have too many, because it becomes impractical, over saturated and it's still the Sonic series. Three or four sounds about right for a main 3D game, maybe more for 2D ones.

The other thing that really bothers me about the whole Sonic-only crap is how Knuckles has become a formerly-main character, no longer with any more importance to the series than Charmy or Omega. He and Tails practically HAVE to in the next game to feature more playable characters. They're the two that started it all and the ones so many fans are missing. Knuckles cause of his recent absence and lack of relevance, Tails because he's a boring sidekick these days who seems incapable of doing anything that doesn't involve electronics.

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 2

The other thing that really bothers me about the whole Sonic-only crap is how Knuckles has become a formerly-main character, no longer with any more importance to the series than Charmy or Omega. He and Tails practically HAVE to in the next game to feature more playable characters. They're the two that started it all and the ones so many fans are missing. Knuckles cause of his recent absence and lack of relevance, Tails because he's a boring sidekick these days who seems incapable of doing anything that doesn't involve electronics.

And this is where chaos ensues, after....an interesting experience on the Sega Forums, I've noticed people really don't care for Tails or Knuckles, or at least would prefer more characters than just them and Sonic alone as they feel it reeks of "playing it safe by catering to the classic purists" granted this is only a minority of fairly large fanbase, but its pretty obvious people want to play as more than just the classic trio. The kicker? There are so many additional characters that its fucking ridiculous to think each and every one of them should have a major role and be playable in a new game. One game has Tails & Knuckles but then people want Shadow & Amy, but then people want The Chaotix, so then the Chaotix are thrown in and so on and so on and frankly at some point, its gets ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it'd be a good idea for them to dive straight back into having 4 or 5 playable characters. They need to re-introduce them slowly and carefully. A. Because it'll throw a whole load of people off straight away e.g. SHITTY FRIENDZ and B. because they need to get the gameplay right for each one of them or we'll end up with another 06. They've taken the time to get Sonic's gameplay how they want it, they need to do the same with the others.

Tails is the obvious first choice, followed closely by Knuckles and I guess then Shadow or Amy and from there doesn't really matter. Assuming Tails is playable in Episode 2, then this would be the first step in re-introducing playable characters.

I don't think it'd be a good idea for them to dive straight back into having 4 or 5 playable characters. They need to re-introduce them slowly and carefully. A. Because it'll throw a whole load of people off straight away e.g. SHITTY FRIENDZ and B. because they need to get the gameplay right for each one of them or we'll end up with another 06. They've taken the time to get Sonic's gameplay how they want it, they need to do the same with the others.

Tails is the obvious first choice, followed closely by Knuckles and I guess then Shadow or Amy and from there doesn't really matter. Assuming Tails is playable in Episode 2, then this would be the first step in re-introducing playable characters.

Technically Tails is already playable in the updated CD port.

seeing as though sonic team and sega have made a more up to date shadow with the boost

maybe the could add a game to the series with sonic, shadow, FAST silver, knuckles, tails and more

so i know the last main stream game with multiple characters was awful (sonic 06) but that was due to bad gameplay, bugs, and level design but now they could have playable characters with the feel of sonic colours and generations modern

what do you think?

I think that would be a good idea. Including a playable character other than Sonic would surely appeal to each character's fan, which did that well in Sonic Adventure.

If they can do it in a way that isn't terrible and stupid (like in most of the 3D games with multiple characters), sure. I still don't understand why they had the idea to go FISHING SLOW DOWN SHOOTING HOT AND COLD in the first place instead of "like Sonic, but with different advantages and disadvantages" like in 3&K and the Advance games.

Edited by Ekaje

Only Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails should be the MAIN characters and all should have fast, varied gameplay that are similar (spin dash, super forms,) and different (their signature moves). They also should be the only ones that are needed to get all the necessary secrets in the game.

Bonus unlockable characters (Shadow, Espio, Rouge, Amy, etc.) can be in it as unlockables, they they shouldn't be required outside of "for fun" sakes. They could also have their own moves, but again, they should be DLC. Nothing more.

Only Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails should be the MAIN characters and all should have fast, varied gameplay that are similar (spin dash, super forms,) and different (their signature moves). They also should be the only ones that are needed to get all the necessary secrets in the game.

Bonus unlockable characters (Shadow, Espio, Rouge, Amy, etc.) can be in it as unlockables, they they shouldn't be required outside of "for fun" sakes. They could also have their own moves, but again, they should be DLC. Nothing more.

How about "no"?

Let's make Sonic the only central character, and everyone else are the unlockable bonuses? No one other than Sonic is required outside of "for fun" sakes, but if they happen to find a way to use them for more, then go right on ahead and do it. And the unlockable AREN'T limited to just being DLC; give them an active share if possible.

These characters all have fans who want them to play an active role in the games, so let's not be selfish by leaving them with less than they would bargain for, shall we?

Yes, however I would prefer Sonic Team reintroduces them slowly, the next game should only feature one or two additional characters, games after that can add more.

Yes, definitely. I'm so sick of "Sonic only" shit! I'd love to be able to play as Shadow again, or Silver, or Blaze.

Tails or/and Knuckles would be OK too, just don't forget other characters, especially Shadow since he's no less important than the classic trio and loved by many too. Jet could be used in a main game also.

You can make these characters play similar to Sonic but with their own abilities and paths just like in the classic games.

and I'd love to play as Metal Sonic in a main 3D game too.

I've got to be honest and say that I really don't care. I think I've actually come to love the Sonic only games more than I have the ones where you're able to play as his friend.

*Angry mob forming in background*

But seriously, I've always found myself just enjoying being able to play as Sonic and actually preferring him over someone else. Say, in the Adventure games, Sonic's simple speed type levels of getting from point A to point B was always my favorite kind, as opposed to Tails racing or Knuckles hunting for the shards of the Master Emerald. Those just didn't appeal to me and I didn't have as much fun with them as I did with the Sonic type levels. When it came to games like Sonic Advance, where it's basically all the same gameplay, but with different mechanics and such, I still enjoyed Sonic the most out of all the characters that I might have been able to choose, same with stuff like S3&K. The abilities or gameplay types of other characters is just something I've never really cared for. Not hated or anything, because they were fine, and if other people like it then, I guess they should follow popular demand, but..me, I've never really cared for being able to play as them over Sonic.

Maybe I'm just really close-minded or something like that, I'm not sure since I seem to really be the only person pushing for "Sonic only", but that's all I've come to notice to enjoy the most whenever there's more than one character to play as.

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly prefer the route SEGA/Sonic Team has been taking lately with the games, in which Sonic is the only playable character but is closely supported by NPC friends, (Tails and Amy mainly, would like to see Knuckles included sometime.) I think this gives the satisfaction of the characters being around but still leaves the player controlling the star, Sonic. I think Sonic Team realizes the importance of the supporting characters, but also understand how to keep the pace flowing in a game by not giving them playable roles. That said, it still depends on how the characters are used, as I don't believe there's one answer to this sort of question.

Edited by NeutralChao

Yes though I'd say 6 characters should be a fair amount of characters just reintroduce theme slowly & balance all different types of gameplay while more characters can be part of the story(supporting cast). They can be playable if there's Multi-player options or include them in missions/mini games they could be unlockable then for the next game more characters can be added but not too many of course. Not to rush into things but go slowly as it would be nice for fans to play as their favourite characters so we can also see the relationship they have with Sonic or other characters instead of just waving & appearing behind closed doors.

Edited by C.J

6 is too much. It should be 3-4 MAX per game. Don't need any more than that, just because there is an extended cast doesn't mean we need to have most of them playable.

6 is too much. It should be 3-4 MAX per game. Don't need any more than that, just because there is an extended cast doesn't mean we need to have most of them playable.

Oh, come on. The Sonic Advance series got away with 5, and that's not counting the other characters who could benefit from it (or the various combinations you could make from Sonic Advance 3).

The way I see it, the ideal shouldn't be any more than 5. But if you can managed to do more without hindering anything and balance them, you're more than welcome to do 10. But you have to be pretty good at balancing this stuff to make it work.

Oh, come on. The Sonic Advance series got away with 5, and that's not counting the other characters who could benefit from it (or the various combinations you could make from Sonic Advance 3).

The way I see it, the ideal shouldn't be any more than 5. But if you can managed to do more without hindering anything and balance them, you're more than welcome to do 10. But you have to be pretty good at balancing this stuff to make it work.

I think he's talking more of don't use any more than what's necessary. Just because we can have 5 characters, doesn't mean we should. They should decide who they want to focus on in this game, and who they don't and make a playable cast from there.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as each character has something setting them apart from the rest of the cast, I say the more the merrier, just don't make them required

There is also the issue of properly play-testing 5 different characters. Sure you could have them playing similar to Sonic, but it takes a lot of time and effort to play test and bug test just 1 additional character to ensure that his or her USP doesn't break the design of the stages. Its fine in 2D because you only have 4 directions to cover; up down left and right. In 3D the concept of adding forward and backwards can cause a huge number of problems.

3-4 not only because more than that many characters aren't need for the main story (others can show up in cameos to reinforce the narrative if needed), but because there is an element of difficulty involved in making more than that many characters. And not just making them, but making them well.