Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Well, the two Sonic conventions aren't until summer and I heard they had to cancel the annual momentum physics convention due to mass lack of velocity in ticket sales.

Edited by Agent York

I saw Sonic accelerate downhill while rolling. Even if only slightly and for a brief moment, but I saw it.

At least there is some progress.

Level design looks a little better. I didn't see a speed booster in White Park (doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but I didn't see, or at least notice one) so I guess that's good.

Music is a bit weird. I don't think its using the dying cat synth, but some other kind of synth. But it was still pretty difficult to tell given that it kind of phased in and out randomly.

Edited by Scar
  • Thumbs Up 1

Music is a bit weird. I don't think its using the dying cat synth, but some other kind of synth. But it was still pretty difficult to tell given that it kind of phased in and out randomly.

The music sounds overly cheery, and I was dissapointed that Snowy didn't growl. Oh well.

Edited by Marcellove
  • Thumbs Up 1

That.. actually looked really great. The combo moves look really useful, and it's nice to see that aspects of the level are designed cleverly around using particular moves (the combo spindash through the snow in particular reminded me of Sonic Colors tongue.png). Using the snowy boulders to progress through the level is also pretty cool, and it could be interesting to see if their rolling physics could be used against you, though I do find it kinda hilarious how the inanimate boulders have better functioning physics compared to Sonic. The stage, in motion, looks excellent graphically and the music sounded pretty upbeat and retro-inspired. Not too shabby, Dimps, not too shabby. If the level design for all the levels is this consistently good, then I can forgive a few sprinkled sections of automation.

Edited by EXshad

I'm hoping for some fantastically cheery music to contrast what will hopefully be an optmistic but calm Sylvania Castle and a hopefully dark and brooding <Industrial Desert> Zone.

That video(s) of White Park Zone looked stunning, it really did. I hope the music for the game is as cool as the Sonic CD Japanese soundtrack.

That's new music. It's different to the map theme from E1. Much better instruments.

...holy shit, GUYS. GUYS. LOOK THROUGH THE CLOUDS.

AT THE FREAKING LEFT. LOOK THROUGH THE CLOUDS.

I SEE LAVA.

I SEE FREAKING LAVA.

• Thumbs Up 1

Compared to the one here. E2 still uses the S2 snare and horrible dying cat as a lead synth, but there's more percussion in there in and a far more audible baseline. Sound better. I just really wish the didn't try to make it sound retro. Especially when the game is retro in no other way.

...holy shit, GUYS. GUYS. LOOK THROUGH THE CLOUDS.

AT THE FREAKING LEFT. LOOK THROUGH THE CLOUDS.

I SEE LAVA.

I SEE FREAKING LAVA.

I like the part when the player curls into a ball at the top of a loop and doesn't slow down like molassas, and instead gains a little speed.

Granted. the player doesn't gain that much speed, but this is a VERY nice change.

Indigo likey.

Also, I'm so glad that they're showing me that they're playing with a controller. I might have mistaken them for controlling the game with their mind or something.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

The story section including Lost Labyrinth and Mad Gear just screams "retroactive storytelling."

But hey, maybe some assets from Lost Labyrinth and Mad Gear will appear in new ways in Episode 2 or 3 to justify it.

Edited by Professor Westwood V

Their fan marketing thus far has been pretty weak, and all of their game reveals or gameplay demos thus far have been at tech events. This feels more like they're making a downloadable/mobile Sonic game than it is that they're making any sort of attempt at a game for retro fans. In that sense I am sure I'll enjoy it as a downloadable Sonic game, but I'm starting to grow disappointed at the title and what this project, Sonic 4, was supposed to be and who it was supposed to be for.

So, how long do we give until someone tears this site a new one and show us their spoils?

Edited by DerpDerpJeffhog

Actually, scratch that: looking at that video again, Sonic DOES pick some some good speed.

Okay, Indigo REALLY likey!

• Thumbs Up 5

One thing I'm really starting to hate from what I've seen are those annoying Red signs that warn of a bottomless pit. They were tolerable in Generations because of their smaller size, but they're MASSIVE in this game. I really hope there is an option to turn them off!

• Thumbs Up 1