Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

The game just keeps looking more and more like a quality (modern) Sonic game. At the same time it looks even less like a classic game than Episode I.

SEGA would've probably gotten away with that and make more fans happy instead of pissed, but hey, they just HAD to call this series Sonic 4 (and make it the sequel to S3&K no less) and claim that it'll return Sonic to his classic roots...whilst it hasn't. I would be lying if I said that the Classics didn't have it's fair share of automation, but it's just ridiculous in this game, the game REALLY doesn't need that many springs and boosters it currently has.

I definitely agree that this is looking more like a good 2D Modern Sonic game than a 2D Classic Sonic game SEGA is claiming that it would be. I'm not saying that the Modern games are bad but they do have a lot more automation and speed in them...and bottomless pits.

The lesson here. "Never promise what you can't deliver". I'll keep my final judgement until I try the game out myself, but now, my impressions are just dead neutral to be honest (i.e. I'm on the 'MEH' state).

I'm still pissed off that SEGA said that they can't do the physics 1:1 because the game would 'BREAK'...that's why you sort out the physics first BEFORE YOU DO THE LEVEL DESIGN!! Ugh...

Edited by KrazyBean14
  • Thumbs Up 2

Woun, were you able to find the Badnik images on the .swf file? I had a look but couldn't see them.

I'm still waiting on a high res version of the Sonic and Tails standing in front of the "II" columns. I want to start on my Genesis box design for episode 2!

Woun, were you able to find the Badnik images on the .swf file? I had a look but couldn't see them.

Edited by goku262002

Collection of videos so far:

@ 2:52 ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74aFPfycqmY @ 1:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKYW_q0Jw8
(NSFW according to the URL )

Stupid forums want to automatically make any Youtube link an embed. Stuck them in a code box cause I cba to get youtu.be links tongue.png

Edited by HYDROCITEE
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you Blue Blood.

NSFW btw? how odd since its just a youtube link. Your anti-virus or something being alittle too panicky?

Thank you Blue Blood.

NSFW btw? how odd since its just a youtube link. Your anti-virus or something being alittle too panicky?

No, just look a the last four letters of the URL.

Looking at the video, physics look about the same as Episode 1, regardless how the graphics changed...

Not quite sure where to post this...

Sonic 4: Episode 2 has just appeared on Steam Registry:

SKJjX.png

Looks like the release is getting closer.

Edited by Nik1895

..or the demo.

Unless SEGA decides to do differently for Steam, this game won't have a demo before release. There'll be a trial out on release day at the same time as the full version.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Always figured this was the main Sonic 4 topic, till I acutally went to the sub-forum xD.Wrong Topic, So I'll just take from Zinos's quote and leave my original question here.

Does anybody know what the blue and yellow bar near the lives counter is in this pic?

9ib4fn.pngCan't be the

EDIT 2: Nevermind it's just the Gamertags. Thanks Zinos.

Edited by Nintendoga

It's clear to me that the physics have indeed improved. As I've said many times already, that really shouldn't be our concern here.

The level design looks exactly the same as Episode 1, rendering any changes in physics completely useless. There's no point in good physics if you can't use them.

Case in point? Generations 3DS.

Let's play a game-how many unnecessary dash panels can you find in this video?

And at this point, I can agree that they did improve the physics somewhat in terms of momentum.

Surprised nobodies talked about this yet but this game's taking two big elements that I used to love in Sonic 3&K, one way or another.

By this I mean Metal Sonic.

Since he's in shown in Act 2 of White Park in a cutscene flying on the Tails Rocket, yet in the gameplay trailer, he's shown flying backwards about to fight Sonic and Tails as they go into the Rolling Combo.

Plus, the achievements say that you will defeat him in Act 2 of presumably the final or pre-final zone Sky Fortress Zone

This means that he is a mini-boss in two of the zones, and since this game has 4 zones, maybe it's safe to say he will be a mini-boss in all of them? So this game has mini-bosses!(Or a mini-boss I guess, it would be cool if two other Robotic mini-bosses would fill the other two zones, but I'm glad with Metal Sonic being more then a "plot device").

Speakin of plots, that specific pic of M.S. on the tails rocket, must mean that there will be a cutscene of Sonic and Tails having to take out the rocket, for some reason, not using the Tornado (Unless maybe it gets destroyed in Sylvania Castle Zone) Metal taking it from them, and riding on it before or after fighting them for some reason. Needless to say I'm glad to see boss cutscenes or zone transitional cutscenes that sound like they will be more then 10 seconds like in Ep.1, but I hope they don't drag on for too long. Probably not if you have to see them every time you want to play the game.

So yeah, Zone Transitional/Boss cutscenes and Mini-bosses return, which I loved from Sonic 3&K and I welcome to return in Episode 2. My hype is steadily rising again from this realization, (though I'm probably late).

P.S. Does anybody know what the blue and yellow bar near the lives counter is in this pic?

9ib4fn.pngCan't be the score meter or Boss Hp.

Those are the PSN/XBLA names/IDs of the people who are playing the online co-op mode.

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Case in point? Generations 3DS.

Let's play a game-how many unnecessary dash panels can you find in this video?

All of them...

They have no reason to be there; the spindash could easily be used.

This still seems to be a problem in Episode II, but not as much.

I counted a total of 15 dash panels placed in weird locations in that video.

Not quite sure where to post this...

Sonic 4: Episode 2 has just appeared on Steam Registry:

SKJjX.png

Looks like the release is getting closer.

Looking at the subscription entry, seeing as the Ep2 entry is 12352 and the most recent entry is 13694, the Episode 2 entry has been in the registry for quite a while, it possibly was first added there months ago, but until now it was listed as Valve Test App.

Something interesting from the registry, while Ep1 was listed with a 479MB size, Ep2 is apparently going to be around 1043MB:

s4ep2.jpg

More footage. couple days old but I haven't seen it posted here.

media tags doing whatever they want I see. We should DO something about that...Fixed.

Sonic stuff start at 6:10 ish.

Edited by Solly

@ 7:47: All my rage

But right after that @ 7:49-7:50 he fell down another slope, and went backwards the way the slope was pointing at high speeds.

The part where he's walking on the hill happened in the Classics too, it's just that Sonic slipped faster.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's clear to me that the physics have indeed improved. As I've said many times already, that really shouldn't be our concern here.

The level design looks exactly the same as Episode 1, rendering any changes in physics completely useless. There's no point in good physics if you can't use them.

I gotta disagree with you here man. Yes, there's still plenty of segments where there's automation, and yes it's a load of horseshit. However, fortunately this gameplay has been tempered with clever and innovative platforming that both takes advantage of the new team-mechanic, as well as harkens back to the Genesis days. Take the ever-mentioned rotating bridge in Sylvania Castle, or all the footage we've seen of White Park.

I really think Dimps tried to find a middle-ground. On one hand, they were like "y'know, we've got to up our game a bit, we want to show that we listened to the fans and can be just as clever as those guys who made Sonic 1, 2, and 3." On the other hand, they were also probably like, "We can't make it TOO good though; we still gotta throw in some really shitty moments just to make sure people know that this shares close continuity with Sonic 4 Episode 1.. so we'll throw in six-second-long segments that play themselves just for good measure."

Yeah, that sounds like good ol' Dimps to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

I gotta disagree with you here man. Yes, there's still plenty of segments where there's automation, and yes it's a load of horseshit. However, fortunately this gameplay has been tempered with clever and innovative platforming that both takes advantage of the new team-mechanic, as well as harkens back to the Genesis days. Take the ever-mentioned rotating bridge in Sylvania Castle, or all the footage we've seen of White Park.

I really think Dimps tried to find a middle-ground. On one hand, they were like "y'know, we've got to up our game a bit, we want to show that we listened to the fans and can be just as clever as those guys who made Sonic 1, 2, and 3." On the other hand, they were also probably like, "We can't make it TOO good though; we still gotta throw in some really shitty moments just to make sure people know that this shares close continuity with Sonic 4 Episode 1.. so we'll throw in six-second-long segments that play themselves just for good measure."

Yeah, that sounds like good ol' Dimps to me.

I can see where you're coming from, but after the pieces of crap that were JENURASHUNS and Episode I, the "middle ground" isn't good enough for me anymore. This is their third attempt, and if it isn't legitimately great, I'm not interested.

"Good enough" just isn't good enough.

Oh, and I disagree that it's a middle ground right now regardless. I don't like how White Park was pretty much just "Run. Super Sex. Run. Super Sex. Run. Super Sex. Platforming. Run. Super Sex. Homing. Run. Super Sex. Homing. Goal Ring."

We need official gameplay footage, not more off-screen footage of people playing incompetently, and not another ADHD trailer either. I swear these people can make even the classics look shitty.

• Thumbs Up 6