Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

I know that, but the fact that he always only brings this up when speaking about physics is worrisome, strengthened by Spooky's post:

This is fucking joke. What the hell.

That really should have been the first thing they fixed. I never cared that much about uncurling. This is something I care about

• Thumbs Up 5

Yes, worries. For one, how will the game break? They had enough time to build the game around the correct physics, so he shouldn't give us that shit. Secondly, every time someone brings up physics, he mentions how they fixed uncurling, which just makes me more worried.

I don't really think Ken knows enough. He's just repeating what he does. Meh, but anyway, as long as the game is functional I'm OK. E1 was a total mess and barely functional at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

I know that, but the fact that he always only brings this up when speaking about physics is worrisome, strengthened by Spooky's post:

This is fucking joke. What the hell.

What you want to do now is complain. At the SEGA Blogs or forums, it doesn't really matter. Then, boycott.

I just asked Ken about Sonic dropping like a rock if you release the d-pad. Here's his reply:

Oh boy, now I'm worried. I sure hope Episode 2 don't wind up being a polished turd...

I just asked Ken about Sonic dropping like a rock if you release the d-pad. Here's his reply:

*quote of great disappointment*

So much for it having an "all new" physics engine then... it basically sounds like they're just tweaking the existing one rather than, y'know, actually overhauling it like they advertised they would be.

I'm not a Sonic 4 hater, but this certainly has me worried wacko.png

Now that I think about it, Sonic 4 should have used a similar graphics engine like S3&K with the same physics and all. Using the modern look trying to make a twist with the 2D engine is too much work and makes too many fans pissed.

Am I the only one that HATES the modern 2D games that have the boss as a seperate stage? I loved when the boss was the end of act 2 or 3 back in the day when you can turn Super Sonic and go crazy.

Red Rings? In Sonic 4? I love replayability, but Red Rings should be only for the 3D games.

Red Rings? In Sonic 4? I love replayability, but Red Rings should be only for the 3D games.

Why? They worked fine in Classic Generations levels.

• Thumbs Up 7

Why? They worked fine in Classic Generations levels.

I love the Classic Sonic in Generations with the secrets n all. But Sonic 4 is supposed to be the direct sequel of S3&K.

I love the Classic Sonic in Generations with the secrets n all. But Sonic 4 is supposed to be the direct sequel of S3&K.

And what does that have to do with Red Rings?

It's because they weren't in S3&K?

Edited by Tmsp

And what does that have to do with Red Rings?

It's because they weren't in S3&K?

No, its because it was taken right from Sonic Colors onwards. Like people here complain about the homing attack in E1.

There's nothing wrong with adding things. People take this whole "direct sequel to S3&K" thing like it means S4 should be nothing more than an expansion pack for S3&K.

Let's say they had released Sonic the Hedgehog 4 in 1995. Who's to say that SEGA wouldn't have redesigned Sonic anyway or added new concepts like Red Rings?

• Thumbs Up 4

No, its because it was taken right from Sonic Colors onwards. Like people here complain about the homing attack in E1.

Red Rings are totally different than the HA.

That doesn't make any sense. At all.

I must admit, I too think the Red Rings look a little out of place in this game... but that's purely because they weren't in Episode 1, so introducing them now seems like an odd decision. Had they been there from the start and established as one of the new additions to Sonic 4 as a whole, they'd have been fine.

But at the end of the day, I have no real problem with them. Their presence generally means hidden goodies, which can only be a plus.

• Thumbs Up 4

"We're doomed! DOOMED! Doomed I tells ya! DOOMED for those keeping score at home! DOOOOOOMED!" (like a million points if you spot the reference)

Meanwhile, having established the presence of red rings, what do you guys think they'll unlock? Can't be Super Sonic, because we already have special stages established, and I'm sure they wouldn't use them like the special rings in Sonic Advance 2...I hope. In Generations, the red rings unlocked art and music, which was cool, but I can't imagine there's that much of a development treasure trove for Sonic 4. So I'm genuinely curious what the red rings will do.

You know what, to be honest Ep 2 won't be terrible. I think we're inflating stuff here. Ep 1 was by no stretch of the imagination a total abomination. I wouldn't even come close to ranking it with the likes of 06 and the like. Yes it did a lot wrong, but I personally was still able to get a fair bit of fun out of the game.

Now think about it this way. Ep 2 will undeniably be better than Ep 1. There is physically no chance in hell that it will be worse, even if the engine just ends up being a modified version of Ep 1's engine since it fixes a number of Ep 1's flaws not just from a gameplay perspective but from an overall design and originality standpoint. Ep 2 undeniably has more fresh ideas and presents itself in a much better way than Ep 1 did and as a result it's actually building itself its own proper identity. So imo, if it's possible to have fun with Ep 1, it's possible to have fun with Ep 2 even if it still has a lot of problems. Feel free to disagree, but that's just how I feel.

"We're do0m3d! DO0M3D! Do0m3d I tells ya! DO0M3D for those keeping score at home! DO0O0O0M3D!" (like a million points if you spot the reference)

Edited by SiLeNtDo0m
  • Thumbs Up 2

"We're doomed! DOOMED! Doomed I tells ya! DOOMED for those keeping score at home! DOOOOOOMED!" (like a million points if you spot the reference)

Edited by Winston

What if Episode II has unlockable multiplayer stages via the red rings? Sonic Colors DS did that.

(yeah i'm expecting too much)

You know what, to be honest Ep 2 won't be terrible. I think we're inflating stuff here. Ep 1 was by no stretch of the imagination a total abomination. I wouldn't even come close to ranking it with the likes of 06 and the like. Yes it did a lot wrong, but I personally was still able to get a fair bit of fun out of the game.

Now think about it this way. Ep 2 will undeniably be better than Ep 1. There is physically no chance in hell that it will be worse, even if the engine just ends up being a modified version of Ep 1's engine since it fixes a number of Ep 1's flaws not just from a gameplay perspective but from an overall design and originality standpoint. Ep 2 undeniably has more fresh ideas and presents itself in a much better way than Ep 1 did and as a result it's actually building itself its own proper identity. So imo, if it's possible to have fun with Ep 1, it's possible to have fun with Ep 2 even if it still has a lot of problems. Feel free to disagree, but that's just how I feel.

Not to be a downer, but being better than shit doesn't exactly make something worthy of being praised. SEGA were hyping this to have fixed physics and Tails' big return, and it seems like neither of those are being legitimately addressed here. That's why people are upset. There's no doubt in my mind that this will be better than Episode I, but if better means that Sonic doesn't uncurl and the graphics are better, then what's the point?

Edited by Solid SOAP

Meanwhile, having established the presence of red rings, what do you guys think they'll unlock? Can't be Super Sonic, because we already have special stages established, and I'm sure they wouldn't use them like the special rings in Sonic Advance 2...I hope. In Generations, the red rings unlocked art and music, which was cool, but I can't imagine there's that much of a development treasure trove for Sonic 4. So I'm genuinely curious what the red rings will do.

I want to hope it'll unlock single player Tails (on the basis that having him would make Red Ring collection too easy? I dunno). But... that'd be pretty shit considering he should have been there from the start.

Not to be a downer, but being better than shit doesn't exactly make something worthy of being praised. SEGA were hyping this to have fixed physics and Tails' big return, and it seems like neither of those are being legitimately addressed here.

I'll have to interject here. I really don't see how Tails' return isn't being legitimately addressed simply because of the fact that he isn't playable on his own. A feature that is basically worthless anyway because all Tails did was made the game easier. Who honestly spent most of their time playing as Tails alone in Sonic 2 and Sonic 3? For the former, most go for Sonic alone or the pair. For the latter, most go for Sonic alone, the pair or Knuckles (for increased difficulty).

And upon removing that completely redundant feature, they've added more to Tails' overall arsenal and given a greater emphasis on the co-op aspects with those new team mechanics. If anything, Tails is back and better than ever.

Then again, I'm probably biased in the fact that the only time I properly enjoyed playing as Tails was in the Advance titles.

I really would have preferred it if they straight-up said...

"Alright, we fixed the graphics, but gameplay-wise we're seeing what we are willing to do. The gameplay engine itself is the same, but we're looking to fix up a few oddities."

...as opposed to this BRAND NEW GAMEPLAY ENGINE spiel.