Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

What the fuck?! He's not sure if the single worse aspect of the game has been fixed after nearly two years from the first episode. After all the complaints, after all that time, after all the promises. Uncurling doesn't even have anything to do with the physics, it's just a moronic design decision. What the fuck were they doing this whole time? Sure the graphics are better but if this plays pretty much like the first episode fuck it I'm out.

We definetly have listened. Is it going to be exacally as the Genesis physics were? No. And I said before that unfortunatly we can't make them apple-to-apple the same. The game would simply break. However, we can make them closer. For example, the uncurling, which was a HUGE issue the first time has been fixed.

MAYBE if you didn't design the game to hide all the glaring physics problems with speedbooster and spring automation in the freaking first place this wouldn't be a problem. Hell I don't know how the original physics would actually break the game at all. You know design is bad when proper jumping and momentum gaining will break what level design...

But wait what is this?

I'll be upfront - I know we were trying to get that fixed. No promises but I know that was being looked at. Let me double check in the latest builds.

Are you kidding me? Nothing against Ken, it's not his fault, this is going right to Dimps/Sonic Team devs who actually designed the game...

What the fuck are you guys doing over there? I mean, seriously? Did you guys make Sonic Advance or not? All that time making the game look pretty when it was the core that was rotten in the first place.

Edited by Tiller
  • Thumbs Up 6

Ouch, Ken that was a bad thing to say, especially to Sonic fans.

So let's look at the Pros and Cons of Ep.2 as of now.

Pros:

New Graphics

New Physics (Uncurling, Momentum based Inertia,)

Red Rings indicate more exploration within levels, alternate paths, and what not

Btw Red Rings means new collectibles

Tails

Online + Offline Co-op

Game has major originality compared to Ep.1 (Sylvannia Castle Zone and White Park Zone show this.)

Level gimmicks so far (digging through snow, using Tails to guide you through water, having him help you fly) look fun

The Wonder Twin Powers Combo moves look cool and are a welcome addition to the game

Badniks and (from Concept) Bosses look cool

More Plot/Story driven then Ep.1

Cons:

Still unsure about Physics (People say the trailer makes them look bad, others say the trailer makes them look great, have to wait for more gameplay footage to tell)

Level Design looks Dimpish, (Boosters, Springs, Boosters, Springs, noticed alot of Bottomless Pits in White Park Zone.)

Tails is only playable in Co-op, which is SUCKS MAJOR BALLS. (Though interestingly enough, someone pointed out how cool it could be if it worked like Advance 3 where Tails and Sonic could switch to be the leader. Very Unlikely though.)

Pros still outweigh the cons, though the importance of the Cons can make or break the game as well. Should people be saying this game sucks after one trailer? no. Generations gameplay trailer, people said Modern's levels would be linear as Classics's would be horrible, yet they were wrong. Same with Colors. Can't judge a game by one trailer. Though this isn't going to be one of those "Well wait till you play the game, well wait till you beat the game, well wait-" No, we should be able to tell if this game is fun or not by either alot of gameplay footage of someone good playing the game, or a demo (which Ken said would come.)

Ken, btw, that was a horrible and lazy excuse to say. "Well if we made the physics 1:1, then it would break the level design" Does Dimps not understand something? THE ENGINE OF THE GAME IS ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS YOU MAKE IN A GAME, that excuse informs me that not only did Dimps not bother to make them 1:1, but that they could've but didn;t bother. The latter screams laziness and once again makes me wonder, why the fuck isn't Sonic Team (the people who brought us Colors and Gens) not working on the sequel to arguably their best game? Makes me confused and angry at the same time sadly.

People saying "I've lost hope, I've given up on this being good, This is a piece of turd!" Are overeacting to 1 minute of over edited footage. And the others saying "You guys are idiots for saying this will suck, This game doesn't suck, you do!" are just overeacting to the overeactions of the game.

This is not the Sonic 4 discussion as I truly imagined it.

• Thumbs Up 5

What the hell were you guys doing for those two years guys? Sitting in your chairs with stoned faces? You guys had two years. Two! And that seems like enough time to either come up with a new game engine or massively fix the original. You guys were saying and advertising how the game had a new engine with fixed stuff. But what's this? Tweaks? A LITTLE bit of work on the original s4 engine? You decided to spend that time on a graphic's engine over addressing the main problems. Bravo guys! Bravo. That is just what we wanted. none of that gameplay stuff. Better visuals. I'm sorry but I think Sonic team would have been a better choice to fix up S4 and not let dimps do it again. I mean I loved Console generations. It showed that Sonic team really wanted to please their fans by working really hard over those three years. But when you spend two years not really doing anything and decide to at the last few months edit your original engine that really doesn't say "we care".(I know that's probably not what really happened but it feels like that) I'm still hoping it's good and they are able to fix up a little more. But it's kinda showing how much dimps/St seem to care about this project. What were those gameplay developers doing over that long span of time?Really... Rant aside, I still have faith that these guys can pull themselves together.

Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Why didn't they just use the engine used in Generations 3DS? (Supposedly, a really enhanced Rush engine)

• Thumbs Up 2

screenlg8.jpg

Is that planet what I think it is in the background?

Oh my GOD, the DEATH EGG!!

Oh and Metal Sonic's on a rocket, but OMG THE DEATH EGG :D

Oh my GOD, the DEATH EGG!!

Oh and Metal Sonic's on a rocket, but OMG THE DEATH EGG biggrin.png

It's not the Death Egg, it's Little Planet. Though it's under some kind of construction. Looks like Robotnik's up to his CD scheme again of pinning the Little Planet down.

Why didn't they just use the engine used in Generations 3DS? (Supposedly, a really enhanced Rush engine)

Well Gen 3ds was a upgraded version of the S4E1 engine. And they said a brand new engine. (Which right now i can't see a difference aside from maybe one or two things. RIGHT NOW. ) Edited by Hedgehogs Boost

Pros still outweigh the cons, though the importance of the Cons can make or break the game as well. Should people be saying this game sucks after one trailer? no. Generations gameplay trailer, people said Modern's levels would be linear as Classics's would be horrible, yet they were wrong. Same with Colors. Can't judge a game by one trailer. Though this isn't going to be one of those "Well wait till you play the game, well wait till you beat the game, well wait-" No, we should be able to tell if this game is fun or not by either alot of gameplay footage of someone good playing the game, or a demo (which Ken said would come.)

People saying "I've lost hope, I've given up on this being good, This is a piece of turd!" Are overeacting to 1 minute of over edited footage. And the others saying "You guys are idiots for saying this will suck, This game doesn't suck, you do!" are just overeacting to the overeactions of the game.

THIS GUY KNOWS WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT!

• Thumbs Up 9

This is not the Sonic 4 discussion as I truly imagined it.

Really? I'd say it's following the pattern perfectly.

Personally, I did die once due to Sonic dropping like a rock if you let go of the D-pad. That was certainly annoying, but once I adjusted I had no trouble controlling Sonic, and enjoyed the game. If that rather silly design hiccup remains in Episode II, then I'Il likely be annoyed, but it won't hinder my enjoyement of the game.

I feel bad for those nice people who'll find the entire game crumble and fall to bits on account of that hangup. It'll be a terrible waste of money for them, because I can't concieve of a scenario where they'll simply refrain from buying the game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Generations gameplay trailer, people said Modern's levels would be linear as Classics's would be horrible, yet they were wrong. Same with Colors. Can't judge a game by one trailer.

Well, you could with Episode 1.

/Cha-Ching!

Im gunna sing The Doom Song now!

Doom doom doom doom doom,

doom doom do DOOM,

DOOOM doom do-doom,

DOOM do-doom doom doooom,

doom doom dooom, do-do-DOOOM!

Doom doom doo doom doom,

DOOMY-DOOMY-DOOM,

doom do do DOOM,

Do do DOOM,

doomy-doomy-doomy,

Doom doom doom THE END (A million more points if you know what this is from.)

Will you. . . PLEAAAAAAAASE stop singing!

*WARNING: FAIL UP AHEAD*

*GASP* That must be Sonic 4!!

Honestly, what have we really "seen" besides a silly highlight reel that shows all the automated parts of the game for the sole purpose of being interesting to look at, and yet people are mistaking this to somehow take up the majority of the game?

I just find it to be incredibly silly because what we 'seen' looks to be in no way representative of the actual game.

Honestly, what have we really "seen" besides a silly highlight reel that shows all the automated parts of the game for the sole purpose of being interesting to look at, and yet people are mistaking this to somehow take up the majority of the game?

I just find it to be incredibly silly because what we 'seen' looks to be in no way representative of the actual game.

So you're basically saying that despite all of the PR work revolving completely around the idea that "IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM EPISODE I BECAUSE WE LISTEN TO COMPLAINTS", they specifically went out of their way to make it look like Episode I?

Sorry, I don't buy it. I was already lied to back in 2010, and I'm not going to fall for it again.

• Thumbs Up 2

So you're basically saying that despite all of the PR work revolving completely around the idea that "IT'S TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM EPISODE I BECAUSE WE LISTEN TO COMPLAINTS", they specifically went out of their way to make it look like Episode I?

Sorry, I don't buy it. I was already lied to back in 2010, and I'm not going to fall for it again.

Not that this is proof of anything either way, but it's probably worth considering that the people who put the trailer together are probably not the same people who have been acting as a voice for the project, such as Ken. Obviously that still means they seriously need to improve their internal communication, but... yeah.

Why should we believe that the game is going to be any different than what SEGA are making it out to look like, especially when the last game in this series shared all of the same problems that the trailer showcases? There's zero reason to believe that the game is going to be different than what it currently looks like, SEGA's terrible PR isn't helping either. If we see footage showing that this game has a solid physics engine and good level design, then there's a reason to be excited. However, until SEGA showthat, I don't see why those skeptical should change their views.

• Thumbs Up 4

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

........Fanbase!

Do you realize how much this spoils and ruins the game? HOW MUCH?

I don't see why those skeptical should change their views.

Because Sega only showed barely a fraction of the game.

You could make a trailer of the first 3 levels of ANY of the classic games showing only a bunch of running and spring-hitting and get the same impression.

Moreso than the physics at this point. It's like its not allowed to be called a good game if unless it polishes their shoes and sings Jump from Van Halen in perfect tone.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 6

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

........Fanbase!

You know, mon, complaining about the complaints isn't really making things much better. Just sayin'...

Anyway, I'm just cautiously optimistic for this game at the moment. From what I've seen so far, it, at the very least, can't be worse than Episode 1.

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

STOP COMPLAINING!

........Fanbase!

Meh. Complaining about complaining isn't much better.

Moreso than the physics at this point. It's like its not allowed to be called a good game if unless it polishes their shoes and sings Jump from Van Halen in perfect tone.

No, it's just not allowed to be called Sonic 4 unless it's Sonic 4. I'm not going to praise regression.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 4

Isn't it ironic that people were complaining about people complaining about Pokemon not being on the 3DS/not gray/sequel yet they're complaining about Sonic?

To be fair... the complaints are in two fields, but still.