Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

What i personally want to see as a throwback level, is a new level that's a throwback, like imagine if the Death Egg, instead of crashing into Angel Island again, crashes into Scrap Brain Zone from Sonic 1, thus having a level that could effectively represent all 3 games of the trilogy.

Though if its a direct remake, I'd personally want to see Lava Reef/Hidden Palace Zone, with a possible Knuckles appearance/boss

What i personally want to see as a throwback level, is a new level that's a throwback, like imagine if the Death Egg, instead of crashing into Angel Island again, crashes into Scrap Brain Zone from Sonic 1, thus having a level that could effectively represent all 3 games of the trilogy.

Though if its a direct remake, I'd personally want to see Lava Reef/Hidden Palace Zone, with a possible Knuckles appearance/boss

The throwback level is already confirmed from the achievements. Putting it in Spoilers just in case:

Sky Fortress

Also i marked May 16th :D What a present for my name-celebration 5 days later!

Maybe this Sky Fortress crashes (Or just lands) on Stardust Speedway (Little Planet) and you get one last encounter with Metal Sonic there

• Thumbs Up 2

Full White Park Act 1 Gameplay:

*video*

Nice to see the level in full. The snow-digging gimmick is definitely an interesting and quite good one. The level design sucks though. Down a hill > off a ramp into the air > BUBBLES/Springs/Boosters > Down a hill > off a ramp into the air > BUBBLES/Springs/Boosters > Down a hill > Digging > Down a hill > off a ramp into the air > BUBBLES/Springs/Boosters > END.

It also confirms what I was saying before. The way that springs and boosters work as scripted events royally sucks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nice to see the level in full. The snow-digging gimmick is definitely an interesting and quite good one. The level design sucks though. Down a hill > off a ramp into the air > BUBBLES/Springs/Boosters > Down a hill > off a ramp into the air > BUBBLES/Springs/Boosters > Down a hill > Digging > Down a hill > off a ramp into the air > BUBBLES/Springs/Boosters > END.

It also confirms what I was saying before. The way that springs and boosters work as scripted events royally sucks.

I don't really get why Dimps lacks the ability to make expansive level design. Generations 3DS is a great example of this as all 3 classic levels seemed to be more fleshed out than the later levels somewhat.

At this point I don't understand why SEGA allows Dimps too stick around...got to wonder if they are just cheap for then to enlist.

Game looks fun though...from a Sonic Advance 2 standpoint. Critics are going to eat this up though, that's for sure.

Edited by Voyant

The snow-digging gimmick is definitely an interesting and quite good one.
Really? 'cause it seems to me that it's just to force a team move, and then it's just a matter of jumping gaps as you're forced forward. It's like a far crappier version of the Drill from Colors.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't see this as a very engaging game. Sure might suck an hour or two out of your life but nothing that anyone will care about in 10 years.

Generations 3DS is a great example of this as all 3 classic levels seemed to be more fleshed out than the later levels somewhat.
Edited by Madame Amano

Really? 'cause it seems to me that it's just to force a team move, and then it's just a matter of jumping gaps as you're forced forward. It's like a far crappier version of the Drill from Colors.

Edited by HYDROCITEE

To save time, they simply copypasted the original level designs from the original levels (namely Act 1 from each zone).

Edited by Marcellove

They're mimicking his jumping animation from the Classic games. It looks somewhat odd to some, because in the classics Tails was just a ball when jumping (he didn't switch between perfect ball and simply curled up frames like Sonic and Knuckles), but this time it's the complete opposite, so his tails become disjointed from his backside.

I always thought that his tails were disjointed anyway, or else he'll have the most severe case of twisted/knotted tails ever. Ouch!

• Thumbs Up 2

Uh... no? They're mimicking his jumping animation from the Classic games. It looks somewhat odd to some, because in the classics Tails was just a ball when jumping (he didn't switch between perfect ball and simply curled up frames like Sonic and Knuckles), but this time it's the complete opposite, so his tails become disjointed from his backside.

Um, I think he means that his tails don't trail behind him correctly. They are supposed to follow the ark of his jump.

• Thumbs Up 1

EDIT: Nevermind lol.

What I think he means is that it looks like Tails' tails stay perfectly horizontal during the jump at all times, which isn't how it worked in the classics. They trailed behind the direction of the jump (down during the rise and up during the fall) kinda like how a Badminton shuttlecock performs during it's arc. It looks much more natural.

For some reason I couldn't recall seeing the tails follow behind as such until seeing the first video you posted. XP As you say though, they appear to do the same in Episode 2 anyway.

Edited by Lungo

Just noticed Tails's tails don't follow his jump directionally. I'm assuming this is because it's not a finished build...

Uh... no? They're mimicking his jumping animation from the Classic games. It looks somewhat odd to some, because in the classics Tails was just a ball when jumping (he didn't switch between perfect ball and simply curled up frames like Sonic and Knuckles), but this time it's the complete opposite, so his tails become disjointed from his backside.

HYDROCITEE's saying that the reason for them not following the arc of the jump is for the sake of referencing how Tails' jump appeared in the classics, rather than for it being so because it's an unfinished build.

What I think he means is that it looks like Tails' tails stay perfectly horizontal during the jump at all times, which isn't how it worked in the classics. They trailed behind the direction of the jump (down during the rise and up during the fall) kinda like how a Badminton shuttlecock performs during it's arc. It looks much more natural.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV0ZyUVW6v0&feature=player_embedded

I think you guys thought Wooly was just pointing out the fact that they stick out of the jump?

EDIT: Actually I'm not sure....I keep watching the 4 video and some of his jumps it looks like the tails stay horizontal, whereas others I'm not sure...

EDIT 2: Nope, pretty sure they do follow the jump upon further inspection.

Edited by ENVY

I really don't like the act segregation they've got going on here. I mean there's a big ass awesome amusement park in the background, and they're saving it all for Act 2? Why not mix it up more? I mean I don't think it looks abysmal or terrible, but it's just another typical ice level. I mean Ice Paradise in Advance 2 had a city in the background, and that was a typical ice level as well. This stuff really annoys me because the potential is there that they're not utilising and mixing properly.

I don't think this is going to be awful to play (I do like the snow burrowing) but it's really bland, and that's my issue with it. The avalanches and snowboarding would be more interesting if they hadn't done it a million times before (seriously, why do we never go skiing? Why is it always snowboarding?) and a lot of it is just caverns anyway, which could have been saved for Act 3 if it's going to be more like a water level anyway :x

It's like if Crisis City in Generations had two acts, one of which was purely city stuff with a fire aesthetic, and the other was all fire level type stuff with a city aesthetic. The fact they were both kind of mixed in together is what made it, to me, effective, and it's what makes many of the good levels in Sonic games, both old and new, so effective. The Hailfire Peaks trope, as it were, where they're combined seamlessly or at least not segregated by act. I think it's just underutilising the potential uniqueness of White Park by doing that, and that's the part that saddens me, much more than bubbles chains or overuse of springs.

tl;dr bitching about lack of integration which imo would make White Park more interesting than having typical ice level, then typical theme park level.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Act 1 has carnival looking parts. To me it's more about the level progression, which I like. I'm hoping the desert will start in a normal desert, then go to the oil plant and then a more mountainy area.

Edited by Marcellove

Oh don't get me wrong if there was level progression like that I'd be game, I mean I liked it in Planet Wisp, but here it just feels like they're separating it completely rather than integrating or progressing it at all, as in after Act 1 it's like "suddenly load of carnival shit".

Then again, we haven't seen most of the level, so meh. If it feels like there's a progression in how the acts work in this game, I'd be pretty happy.

Edited by Semi-colon e