Awoo.

Sonic 4: Episode 2 Screens & Media Topic

Agent York

Better than episode one....maybe. Better than Chronicles, for sure, but it's still pretty terrible.

• Thumbs Up 1

Considering the upgrade we've had for Episode 2, I was expecting something more from the music, but judging from that sample it's rather 'meh' and Episode 1ey.

Sounds no different than ep.1 quality music to me.

Thanks for the find, Woun. That music sounds terrible and left me with a headache, and seeing the gameplay again with unnecessary boosters just made me sad :(

• Thumbs Up 6

The music was so bland! Even the composition didn't excite me at all :/

Also it's now that I notice that Sonic's movement still looks really stiff like Episode 1, actually.

Can we just get this game over and done with now? I don't particularly care about this game and I'm more interested in seeing what new stuff they come out with.

Edited by Semi-colon e
  • Thumbs Up 2

Better use of instruments, but it doesn't really sound retro, not at all memorable, is a HUGE downgrade from Generations's music, and it just overall fits all definitions of the word "mediocre" to a T. Then again, the entire game is shaping up as this. Not to mention level design littered with springs and speed boosters in some areas.

There's also another video with some new footage/gameplay/whatever:

God damn it, this is a Sonic game. Music should be one of the last damn things I need to worry about.

This.

Sylvania Castle act 1 looks to be a pretty good first act. It does look a little too blocky for my tastes, but it's not that big a deal for me.

White Park looks fun.

It's more Mad Gear than dying cats. This is a good thing.

And if you don't like the music, why not play Kingdom Valley's over it? 8V

I think the music sounds great. Really nice tune. It could use a bit better instrumentation, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Dying cats? The 16bit equivalent!

Oh come on, the synths still sound quite better then Ep 1. Still medicore, but I would not go so far to still call them Dying Cats.

As for the music itself, they seemed to get it in reverse. Sonic 4 had bad synth but catchy tunes. This seems the other way 'round.

• Thumbs Up 8

Oh come on, the synths still sound quite better then Ep 1. Still medicore, but I would not go so far to still call them Dying Cats.

They're not dying cats, just the most similar thing available. Especially as the music starts up, you can really hear how alike they are. Further through the song they're used in a far less offensive way, but the majority of the time they sound pretty poor. I'm more that happy to admit that this particular track could be making them sound a whole lot worse though. That just begs the question... why is the track so bad? Felik at Retro summed it up nicely,

I like how the music add absolutely nothing to the zone. When I hear it the FIRST thing that comes to mind is a "splash hill rip-off" and not a "ruin zone"

At least SH act 1 track was catchy as hell. This one is dull as fuck.

Also...

And if you don't like the music, why not play Kingdom Valley's over it? 8V

Are you serious?

Edited by Blue Blood

Are you serious?

Well, if this game supports custom soundtracks, it will fit well enough.......

Well, if this game supports custom soundtracks, it will fit well enough.......

Why should we have to resort to that for something that should've been in the game itself in the first place?

• Thumbs Up 7

Why should we have to resort to that for something that should've been in the game itself in the first place?

Because Jun is still a medicore cat owner.

Oh well, at least he's trying to take better care of his feline brethen.

Pretty much. I expect not to like one or two tracks in any game (and that's all we've heard of E2 so far). Thing is, my expectations aren't exactly high after E1 was such a shining disappointment and this game is the same in everything but visuals.

I don't think it's possible for this game to disappoint me anymore, the one thing I, with a few exceptions, like about all Sonic games has disappointed me.

The music is still terrible.

Edited by Pinkamena
  • Thumbs Up 4

S4:E1 - bad synth; catchy music

S4:E2 - good synth; forgettable music

I honestly prefer the former over the latter, as I can at least hum or

to Episode 1's music without a problem. This is just plain disappointing.

Though, gotta give credit where it's due, the instrumentation is a big improvement, but like I said... I'll take bad synth over forgettable music. I'll have to wait to hear the rest before I make a final judgement, but it ain't looking so hot right now.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 7

You know we only listened to 1 track clearly...that will obviously have a remix per zone.

To call the music terrible right now is a bit early... seriously.

There is indeed no excuse for 30 second loops though...

I think that Jun is burnt out at this point...going for 1 last romp with Generations. they should really just have the Music team of Colors make the music from now on.

Without Cash Cash's horrible vocals.

Edited by Voyant
  • Thumbs Up 4

Though, gotta give credit where it's due, the instrumentation is a big improvement, but like I said... I'll take bad synth over forgettable music. I'll have to wait to hear the rest before I make a final judgement, but it ain't looking so hot right now.

Okay, I'll join in with the positive comments. This music has a baseline. And actual audible baseline. E1 had none of that, so it's a huge improvement right there by default. The instrumentation is better too. At least it's now got some sort of style behind it, even if it's not actually fitting for the game.

Edited by Blue Blood

I think that Jun is burnt out at this point...going for 1 last romp with Generations.

Not really, I just think he focused too much on improving the quality of the synth and forgot about the tune. Old Jun still has plenty of steam left in him IMO.