Awoo.

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward - Sociopathic killer rabbit? Sociopathic killer rabbit.

HunterTSF

Ohai guise! Do you like darkness? Do you like being scared? Do you like sporting wristwatches jam-packed full of neurotoxin? Do you have a fondness for rabbits? Well then my boy, this is the game for you!

KyokugenDasshutsuAdvZenninShibDesu.png

Kyokugen Dasshutsu ADV: Zennin Shibō Desu (or Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward) is an upcoming puzzle game developed by Chunsoft, the same guys behind 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. Basically, you are one of nine prisoners stuck in some crazy torture chamber prison thingy being puppetmastered by some insane killer rabbit thing by the name of Zero 3. And he wants to play some games with you.*

*Disclaimer: Games may not fall under your definition of fun.

Game looks insane, in a good way. I haven't played Chunsoft's previous critically acclaimed title, but this looks fully awesome in its own right. The cast looks colourful and diverse (and how! Some cyborg guy? A magician? Some Cleopatra-looking girl?), the story looks intriguing, and the puzzles look interesting. Hopefully this baby gets localized!

HAVE A NICE TRICK.

EDIT: Replaced the trailer with something that actually made sense.

Edited by HunterTSF

I read the title and was like "What did I just read O_o?"

Then I watched the video and was like "The hell did I just watch?!"

...I'm afraid to play it and say "WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST PLAY"

---

But yeah, this looks pretty crazy. Can't say that I'll prolly keep up with it, but it looks interesting nonetheless. Sociopathic animals? Where have I been?!

The whole idea of the watches and numbered doors is eerily similar to 999's premise, and the music definitely sounds like something straight out of 999.

THIS IS NOT A BAD THING; I LOVED 999 TOO MUCH FOR WORDS. NOW I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME TOO.

Edited by ovarloard

I read the title and was like "What did I just read O_o?"

Then I watched the video and was like "The hell did I just watch?!"

...I'm afraid to play it and say "WHAT THE FUCK DID I JUST PLAY"

Can I quote this because the feeling is mutual. I don't know what I just read, watch or anything. I just got mind fucked.

The whole idea of the watches and numbered doors is eerily similar to 999's premise, and the music definitely sounds like something straight out of 999.

THIS IS NOT A BAD THING; I LOVED 999 TOO MUCH FOR WORDS. NOW I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME TOO.

It makes sense that it's eerily similar to 999 since it's by the same team. In fact, it's in the same universe.

On that note, everyone here who hasn't played 999, PLAY 999. Trust me, it's much better than Herman Cain made it out to be.

EDIT: Also, sociopathic killer rabbits aren't a new thing.

sam-and-max-abe-lincoln-must-die-30.jpg

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 3

Oh man, Good People Die.

I had my eye on this game for a while. I loved 999. Absolutely loved it! For those that didn't know, 999 was a visual novel game - of the likes of Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. But it's on the lines of Saw in terms of ideals. You have 9 characters who are trapped on a ship by a enigmatic mad man named Zero. He wants you all to play something called the Nonary Game.

This game is about you trying to escape through a series of tasks and puzzles. along the way, you have to choose who to trust and who to betray in the story. Be careful, because these choices can either save you or kill someone. And when people die in 999, they are dead, period. Even the main character - Junpei - can die, so no one is safe. So I hope you work good under pressure, because this game will give you it! 8I

This game has multiple endings, so it's meant to be played until you can find the ending that saves everyone or if you're willing to find them all. And these deaths EARN the M for mature rating. Also all of the character are interesting in their own special way, whether likeable or reasonably hated.

Yes... I great title. But discussing the predecessor is not why I'm here. I'm here because of this!

Good People Die is coming to North America!

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=172340

HNI_0026_MPO.JPG

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh man, Good People Die.

I had my eye on this game for a while. I loved 999. Absolutely loved it! For those that didn't know, 999 was a visual novel game - of the likes of Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton. But it's on the lines of Saw in terms of ideals. You have 9 characters who are trapped on a ship by a enigmatic mad man named Zero. He wants you all to play something called the Nonary Game.

This game is about you trying to escape through a series of tasks and puzzles. along the way, you have to choose who to trust and who to betray in the story. Be careful, because these choices can either save you or kill someone. And when people die in 999, they are dead, period. Even the main character - Junpei - can die, so no one is safe. So I hope you work good under pressure, because this game will give you it! 8I

This game has multiple endings, so it's meant to be played until you can find the ending that saves everyone or if you're willing to find them all. And these deaths EARN the M for mature rating. Also all of the character are interesting in their own special way, whether likeable or reasonably hated.

Yes... I great title. But discussing the predecessor is not why I'm here. I'm here because of this!

Good People Die is coming to North America!

http://www.gonintend...story&id=172340

Yeah, I got my NP issue today and I noticed Gonintendo never reported it, so I was the first to bring in the news :D

• Thumbs Up 2

NP276_Zennin.jpg

Here's a clean copy of the article for anyone curious of what the article states. :)

http://www.destructo...ll-222908.phtml

Vita North American release confirmed and of course the name change of the game as well. It will be known over seas as : "Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward"

http://www.aksysgame...d-announcement/

EPIDEMIC ALERT: Japanese Adventure Game Strain Identified in North America

Thousands expected to succumb by year's end

Regional Office of the International Disease Organization, Washington D.C. – February 28, 2012 – IDO agents working in California report that preliminary findings indicate the exceedingly dangerous Japanese adventure game known as "Zennin Shiboudesu" has somehow crossed the Pacific. Attempts were made to contain it, but some carriers seem to have escaped the quarantine and are now at large.

This game is extremely virulent and can be transmitted through physical contact (via the dual "Nintendo 3DS™" and "PlayStation®Vita" retail vectors) as well as through the air (via the "PSN" vector), which has prompted the IDO to declare this a level 6 pandemic. All uninfected persons are advised to remain indoors and avoid contact with others. If you suspect you have been infected, or suspect a friend or family member of being infected, report, or have them report, to the nearest IDO quarantine facility.

Similarity to an earlier strain known as "Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors" has lead to a reclassification: Both strains will now be considered members of the "Zero Escape" game series.Exposure to North America also seems to have caused Zennin Shiboudesu to mutate, and after much deliberation it has been determined that it will be referred to in all future literature as "Virtue's Last Reward" (see forthcoming department memo re: choice of strain name).

Virtue's Last Reward—or, alternatively, "VLR"—has been known to exhibit the following symptoms. If you begin to display any of these, distance yourself from friends and loved ones immediately, and proceed at once to the nearest IDO center.

• Dual Language Support – Early cases show that VLR allows communication in both English and Japanese, with dialog playable in both languages. Whether or not this indicates damage to the languages centers of the brain is under investigation.
  • Puzzles and Story – Preliminary investigations show that this game progresses rapidly through a repeating cycle of two distinct stages, which have been termed the "Novel" and "Escape" stages. During the Novel stage, subjects find themselves engaged by a complex and mysterious story. During the Escape stage, subjects have been observed solving numerous puzzles.
  • Fully-Voiced Novel Sections – One of the indicators of the Novel stage is reportedly fully-voiced dialog: All characters except for the protagonist can be heard speaking during this stage.
  • Numerous Endings – VLR has been shown to exhibit numerous paths of infection, most of which are lethal. At press time, 24 different "endings" have been observed, each unique.
  • Immersive Three-Dimensional Environment – Many infected patients have reported a feeling of increased immersion in their surroundings, often manifested in the ability to rotate the camera around a 3D room rendered in-game and select and manipulate objects in three-dimensional space.
  • Introduces New Characters, Brings Back Old Ones – Our files on 999 indicate that a number of the characters featured there appear again in VLR, although in what capacity is still unclear. This strain also introduces several new characters, all of whom merit additional investigation.

I prefer the name "Good People Die." It's less than subtle, but it's more of a hook, and it's certainly more likely to catch people's attention on the store shelf.

Also, based on that PR, I'd say they're taking the term "viral marketing" a bit too literally.

• 1 month later...

3DS box art

81Z0IDlEmzL__AA1500_.jpg

Vita box art

71w1NMCI0BL._AA1476_.jpg

http://gonintendo.co...story&id=174477

To be fair, I haven't played the first, yet I'm really looking forward to this one. I kind of watched a play through of 999. I feel bad about it, so I'll be sure to just pick this up when it's out.

Also take note of the Volume 2 icon on the top right corner of box pictures.

• 6 months later...

So this game's officially out stateside; thought I'd bump the thread to let you all know. So far, I've played about 15 hours and only have about a third of the endings, so it is something of a time investment. Because of how many more endings there are, the story is shorter, but also wider, than 999 which is kind of a pro and con. On one hand, getting to see more outcomes and split realities adds more depth to the story and really adds a lot thematically, but as a result, there is a lot more backtracking and retreading old ground and you'll reencounter similar scenes quite often. Sure you can skip them, but it kind of breaks the game's flow. That all being said, the plot is no disappointment; it's just as engaging as the strange psychological labyrinth that was its predecessor. This new Nonary game has very captivating lore and theory and the best use of the Prisoner's Dilemma I've ever seen in a story. What's more, it has the best damn localization I've ever seen; nothing lost in translation, natural Western dialogue and astounding voice work. So if you were a fan of 999, then trust me, this is a worthy sequel.

Edited by SuperStingray

Okay, I'm going to give this thread the benefit of the doubt and assume everyone else is too enamoured by this game to talk about it. I just completed the true ending last night and let me tell you, your brain will EXPLODE. Admittedly, there are some minor plot points that fall through the cracks, but the big reveals are so ingenius and well delivered that you'll be thinking about them for days to come. That's all I'm going to say about it, but know that this is truly a story for the ages. If you've completed 999, you owe it to yourself to get this. If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to play through 999 AND THEN VLR.

So I bought it for my Vita thanks to the convenience of PSN (whoo hoo). And I gotta say, MY FUCKING BRAIN HURTS! And surprisingly I spent almost an hour playing it without realizing it. Wonderful, gives me a sense of urgency and despair.

• 4 months later...

Let me take a moment to say that this game is amazing.

Visual novels don't get much more involved and compelling than this.

Ah Zero Escape... May you always amaze me with your deep stories, clever puzzles and compelling narrative.

I've actually beaten the game some months, and may I say that this is without a doubt my favorite visual novel series on the market right now. Oh, Ace Attorney and Professor Layton are still fucking awesome, but Zero Escape just amazes me on a level not even they can reach.

The writing in this game is absolute genius in more ways than one. It's humorous, yet serious. It incorporates a massive amount of plot devices that seem absolutely useless at first glance, but they eventually turn out to be the biggest pieces of the puzzle. Some of which stem from actual real world rumors, theories and practices. Not much of a spoiler, but one of them involves Schrodinger's Cat: the thought experiment created by Erwin Schrodinger in 1935. (One of my personal favorites.) I won't say how they use it, but man it was not only a big part of the plot, but it was also used brilliantly. How that, the character back stories and every eventually coming together was just amazing.

And those characters... My lord, the characters. The writing for them were so well done, it's uncanny. Each one is unique in their own special way. It is impossible to not have a character you either loved or hated with an actual good reason! (Zero III, K and Luna among my favorites.) Believe me, they may be designed in a very anime'd way, but they seem just as down to earth as you or me. And it is THAT which makes the ally/betray portions of the game so taut! You can have a favorite, they can seem like they are your best friend... But that doesn't mean that they won't betray you. It's literally up to you to think on your own two feet and really consider if they are lying to you or not.

But yeah, the game has multiple endings, most of which will leave an impression on you in some way. Again, I won't spoil anything, but there was a particular ending that almost made me cry. Mostly because of what a certain character's secret was, how their personality was compared to the others and what eventually happens in the end. (Those of you who beat the game already know what I mean.) But yeah, the endings are deep and the best part is that they all connect in some way! And when they do... Mother of god...

On hard, it's a much more challenging game than 999. But of course, you can changed to easy if baby needs their bottle XP if the puzzles prove to be a bit much. Personally, I didn't care how tough they were, I soldiered though. If anything, the tougher difficulty made the visual novel sections much more worth it. I will say that the game doesn't have as much of a horror vibe as the first, and I was a little bit down about that. (And by "little", I mean miniscule. Minute. Microscopic. Because the the story was still very damn good.) The music still provided some very catchy tunes, some you are bound to like more than others, but they all do their job ultimately.

If you have a 3DS or a Vita system, then buy this game! If you have a 3DS or DS then get 999 and experience the story before this. It's a little more straight forward in how the mechanics work, but it's still a wonderful title as well. If you're a visual novel fan -- and I know a lot of you are -- these titles should at least be on your list in some way!

*Sigh...* In fact, you know what? Just buy this game and 999! They're wonderful! You have the systems for it, awesome! You don't? Then buy them and just stare at them! Marvel at their greatness, dammit! Then whenever you can, get the system to play them on. You'll be in for on hell of a ride when you do!

The game is a masterpiece. It's engaging and well-made with an amazing story and writing to match. If you can see these plot twist coming, you better tell me what the next lottery numbers will be!

Edited by YoshiUnity Never Dies!

• 10 months later...

It's not looking good for Zero Escape 3:

First, I appreciate from the bottom of my heart to the users who played 999 or VLR. Thank you very much! I have received the messages of encouragement or cheer from many users so far. I am really glad and happy. I offer my deepest thanks!

Well... I guess you have been curious about ZE3.

In conclusion, unfortunately, I have to say that it is difficult to realize it "at this stage" yet, although we have done all we can. If possible, I'd not like to inform you of the news like this. But I decided to reveal it honestly. A lot of budget is needed to make ZE series. We have to persuade the managers in order to obtain it. The managers know that ZE series is especially valued by many users outside Japan. Some of them think that they want to make a sequel just as we wish. But, "in Japan", 999 and VLR are in the red. They are not selling more than people think.

I'm so sad, but all the companies exist for profit-making purposes. If the profits can't be expected, naturally, the project isn't approved. We were not able to present a convincing reasonable basis to the managers. Of course, I can declare with confidence, "The next title will certainly get into the black!" However, it's not considered that the word have credibility. It does not become the cause of green light.

I am very sorry to all the users who are expecting ZE3. I feel ashamed of my own inadequacies. BUT! please remember. I wrote "at this stage". If the situation changes, ZE3 might be capable of being realized! I still haven't given up. For example, if the title which I make next bring about a good result, the wind might shift to another direction. Or, if someone with executive ability (financer, producer, publisher or millionaire!) propose the investment, everything could go well. If there is an great investor who thinks "Virtue is its own reward", I wish him/her to send me a message. If you know such a wonderful person, please induce him/her to cooperate. By using Facebook, you can send a direct message to me (Although we also examined crowd-funding like Kick Starter, we figured the idea is not quite persuasive enough...) I believe there is still hope. ZE3 will definitely be released somehow, someday! I will continue to seek a way out in cooperation with Allies. So, I would appreciate it if you could wait until then. Thank you!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768470

https://twitter.com/Uchikoshi_Eng

:( I really loved the first two and I thought the game was in the middle of development and would get revealed soon. I hope it's released sooner rather than later.

I'm definitely disappointed to hear that it's not in development.  I really do hope it gets made, but I don't know what we'd have to do to ensure that; if they put it on Kickstarter I'd back in a heartbeat.  It's especially sad given that Dangan Ronpa is raking it in... maybe they should make a crossover to raise funds.