Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

Thinking about it: Why didn't they call it "Game Hopping" in Japan? It's fitting and you know immediately what the movie is basically about.

Also, are the movie posters in Japan different? I would get really confused if I saw all those game characters on a poster and the headline would be "Sugar Rush". Actually, in that kind of context, it sounds like a drug movie. xD

Once again, just because it doesn't make sense for western audiences, it doesn't mean it doesn't make sense for Japanese audiences. In Japanese movie culture, it's common to call a movie based on the main setting rather than the main character. And according to articles, Sugar Rush is going to pretty much be the the biggest setting of the movie. Sugar Rush is even more important than the whole concept of Game Jumping in the story, believe it or not (Besides, Ralph only Game Jumps like, three or four times, right?). Calling it Sugar Rush just makes it a lot more attractive to them, you just got to trust me on this. Disney of Japan had to dub and rename the original, so it's obvious that Japan didn't like the original title, and there's nothing wrong with that. America does it all the time with Studio Ghibli films for example.

So yeah, sorry if you don't like it. But you never know that once you watch the whole movie, the name "Sugar Rush" might make just a little more sense.

There's no poster at the moment, but I'd imagine the poster might look something like this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51q19brFsrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In my opinion, the cuteness of Sugar Rush might be more of a selling point than the Game Cameos. But I'm sure Disney of Japan will acknowledge that there are Cameos, only this time they won't treat it like a main selling point like the two recent US posters showed.

Something new I think...

"The games companies were very specific - there's a scene in which Bowser drinks a cup of coffee, and they were very specific about how Bowser would drink coffee", Spencer says. He later adds "We had a scene where we wanted the rings to come out of Sonic, and SEGA said the only way that happens is if he falls over, and we didn't have him fall over in the scene, so we actually went back and re-animated it."

http://kotaku.com/59...-but-mario-isnt

It's great to see that SEGA is collaborating with Disney. Supposedly, there's a rumor from SEGA that Sonic "just might speak to Ralph during the film's climax." He's already introduced a major plot point in the trailer, and it looks like with the poster and everything, he might have quite a large role in this movie. Also, I am supremely happy about the poster, especially because Disney likes to market their movies to a ridiculous extent, meaning that it shouldn't be too difficult to find.

And now for some semi-random Sonic trivia! Wreck-it-Ralph is by far Sonic's biggest movie gig, but it turns out he's had a film career for quite some time.

The 1992 movie "Wayne's World" showed some proto footage of Sonic 1 on an in-film television.

WaynesWorldSonicTime.jpg

Sonic's next movie was the 1996 Christmas comedy "Jingle All The Way", where he appears as a mascot suit in the parade at the end of the film.

• Jingle-all-the-way.png

2008's Drillbit Taylor features Knuckles in action-figure form.

KnucklesDrillbitT.jpg

• Thumbs Up 9

Sonic's next movie was the 1996 Christmas comedy "Jingle All The Way", where he appears as a mascot suit in the parade at the end of the film.

comedy

You've clearly never seen that movie.

Don't forget Disney's Hocus Pocus:

tumblr_m1mekrB3ZV1qfe02f.png

Jesus Christ!! That's Slender Sonic! I ALWAYS KNEW HE EXIST!! I mean look at his face.. or maybe LACK OF IT! ... creepy.

Edited by Lamor

Don't forget Disney's Hocus Pocus:

tumblr_m1mekrB3ZV1qfe02f.png

That guy would win 1st place in SoS's cosplay contest. Well, unless TheChickenLobster shows up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wanna know something sad and ironic, The eventual video game for this movie is gonna suck.

Edited by Ragna the Bloodedge
  • Thumbs Up 3

Have we actually seen any gameplay of said game?

No, but if the track record for video games based on movies is anything to go by, it's probably not going to be anything special.

• Thumbs Up 1

Doubt we'll be seeing figures of Sonic or Eggman since they already have their own toys made by Jawzares (I think that's how you spell it).

No, but if the track record for video games based on movies is anything to go by, it's probably not going to be anything special.

There have been good movie games before, they don't happen much, but that doesn't mean it will automatically be a bad game because it's based off a movie.

• Thumbs Up 5

41f0exir6%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Who knows, it could be a good game. If they did make one, I wonder if it would be a bunch of different genres combined, like platforming, racing, and shooting.

• Thumbs Up 6

I dunno about movie based games instantly being bad. You had the King Kong video game which was pretty cool, Goldeneye, which pretty much revolutionized the FPS genre, and I thought the Kung Fu Panda game was a pretty decent play... In fact I hear the same developers for the latter are involved with the Wreck It Ralph game, so who knows? Could be probably be good. And I've been hearing rumors that the game will serve as a sequel of sorts, so I'm curious as to what it'll be like.

But if it's bad, at least we still got that addicting Fix-it Felix Jr. game... I could see it being an actual arcade game from the 80s.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

There are a few good movie games out there. Toy Story 3 and The Amazing Spiderman being perfect examples (especially the latter). I'm actually hoping it will serve as a sequel of some sorts to the film, but I think we can pretty much forget about licensed characters like Sonic and Bowser being in the game adaptation. Same rule applies if Wreck It Ralph becomes a world in a future kingdom hearts game.

Speaking of Kingdom Hearts, I wonder if Sora is gonna make a cameo in the movie. The series is owned by Disney after all so it would make perfect since for Sora, Mickey, Donald or Goofy to show up.