Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

So just saw it and all I will say (since there's already spoilers tongue.png ) is that you guys won't be disappointed with the movie.....and it felt Great seeing Sonic since there was a lot of people that were excited that he appeared biggrin.png

There's something I hate about Wreck-It Ralph that I'm sure there's quite a few people out there who can agree with me, something that is most horrible and completely awful about this film and how soul destroying it is to any gamer out there who has to bare with this problem.

Wreck-It Ralph isn't released in the UK until February.

GOD-....damnit...

• Thumbs Up 5

486265_517962128215173_1767796649_n.jpg

Guess who's seeing the movie on opening night!

Edit: Sorry, not the midnight release. :(

Edited by Autosaver

It often depends on the theater. But even kid's films (which this is NOT) get them.

This is a Disney film, an animated Disney film.

It's a god damn kids film.

Yeah, much appeal as it may have to us schmucks, Disney made this thing primarily for kids. Which isn't a bad thing at all. But let's not kid ourselves about the target demo.

Come on now, you guys know what I meant. Like sonfan1984 said, it's a family movie. No need to start arguing.

On another note, who's theater is giving out goodies at the showings. Here they gave posters before the showing (I still want the Sonic one though).

Yeah, much appeal as it may have to us schmucks, Disney made this thing primarily for kids. Which isn't a bad thing at all. But let's not kid ourselves about the target demo.

It's a family film. It is meant to attract both target audiences. A kid's film is Care Bears, which talks to kids in the most dumbed down manner possible and have little appeal for an adult. Their merchandise may be angled towards kids, but the film itself is angled for all ages.

Edited by VisionaryBlur
  • Thumbs Up 6

Has there ever been a midnight release for a kids movie? huh.png

I believe Toy Story 3 had one and I'm sure a few others did too.

No, it's a family film for both kids and adults can enjoy.

Well said. And I know that this adult right here is going to enjoy it! Even my mother seems excited about the movie. She was super excited when she saw Q*bert in the trailer. tongue.png

I also wonder how many young kids is going to catch most of the videogame references and jokes.

I wondered the same thing as I didn't recognize many of the cameos myself. Pretty much got the jokes that I have heard so far...

My 7 and 6-year old nephews the other day asked me if I was going to take them to see Wreck-It Ralph. I asked them how they knew about the movie and they said they saw the trailers on Xbox live. I asked them if they saw anyone that familar in the trailers. They only mentioned Dr. Eggman and Bowser. Later on they came to me saying that they saw Sonic in another trailer. Talk about being disappointed, as I wanted to surprise them by taking them to the movies to see Wreck-It Ralph and then they would surprised to see Sonic in it. Oh well, I will still take them to see it and I hope they will enjoy it, which I am sure they will. It will be interesting to see if they pick up any of the jokes. smile.png

My favorite movie critic posted his review:

We also have a consensus:

Equally entertaining for both kids and parents old enough to catch the references, Wreck-It Ralph is a clever, colorful adventure built on familiar themes and joyful nostalgia.

Edited by pppp

I don't normally post in movie-related topics because I feel like if I post in one I need to post in all of them (I hate OCD so goddamn much). Anyways, on a whim I decided to check out the midnight showing, hoping to snag a poster of some kind before the show (haha, not a chance). I'll try to keep as many things as possible in spoiler-tags.

The movie starts out strong by pulling the audience into the world of the characters, establishing a link between the "outside world" and the "game world" in a similar way that Toy Story does with Woody and the gang. If you we're like me after seeing Toy Story (and I guess WIR now as we'll) you'll be taking long looks at inanimate objects long past the point of being comfortable with your sanity, just to make sure they aren't real. That's what is interesting about the arcade setting, even the characters outside of the games have a personality expressive enough to make you feel as if they're in their own world just like Ralph is in his. The story shifts outside of the confined worlds of the consoles to the point that you get a feeling of how small and precious the game worlds are ( and that is important to the story, trust me).

Ralph is a buffoon to the same extent Miss Sweetz is a brat, but they're both so adorable in their roles that any character flaws they may have are overlooked (for the most part). At some points I was wondering "Why didn't he/she just do this instead?", but those thoughts vanished once I witnessed how lively each of the game worlds were. Some characters are assholes, some characters are cold, some characters are goofy, but each is likable in his and her own way. Even when Vanillape makes some rather lame and childish jokes (most of which are in the trailers) you'll laugh simply because she sells each of them. Sarah Silverman is probably the best "bratty child" I've ever seen. I won't spoil the plot, but it takes a couple turns that are quite interesting.

Concerning the video game references, I'm undoubtedly sure some people are concerned with them being placed in such excess throughout the film that it subtracts from the overall plot progression. Well I'm here to tell you that it doesn't! The film has a certain way about it where it sprinkles references only to the extent that it doesn't distract from Ralph's self-reflective journey as a whole. There are very few references inserted simply for the sake of appealing to "the video game crowd" that you could enjoy this movie on its on merits, without ever having touch a game console (it wouldn't be your favorite Disney movie by any means, but you'd most likely enjoy the character interactions and how the plot plays out). Most references you'll get, some you won't. I know that there were a couple fighting-game references that I didn't quite catch fully because of my aversion to that particular genre. Either way you'll find something you enjoy out of this film, and the friend you dragged along that has no interest in video games will just have to enjoy the few "Nestlé" references sprinkled in (for whatever reason).

I know that some people had concerns about the soundtrack having the likes of "Skrillex" or "Owl City" involved. Just to let all of you know, it is all handled rather tastefully. In fact I noticed more of the game-themed music rather than anything else. Besides, the majority of the songs by artists like "Owl City" are in the credits (was that a spoiler anyone really cared about?).

As far as Sonic the Hedgehog references go, there were a few. He has a speaking line, some other smaller appearances, and a beautiful part of the credit sequence with Ralph (seriously that is the one I loved the most). Eggman doesn't say a word throughout the film, and I don't think he is even mentioned by name when he does appear.

The only flaws in the movie (that I noticed) were having to do with some of the choices characters made throughout the film. As I've mentioned above, it is a minor flaw which is completely ignored once you're swept up by everything else this film has to offer. I don't really want to say anymore on this because I feel it'll spoil some of the plot.

In conclusion, see this film. It is one of my favorites this year, and I'm already convinced I'll be buying the DVD.

P.S. the short before the film, "Paper Man", is phenomenal. It is charming and funny, and in addition the animation is stunning. The only reason I'm mentioning it even is because it really stood out to me as one of Disney's best pre-show shorts. Get there on-time and see it you dawdlers!

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, even Roger Ebert likes this movie. I was pretty sure he'd hate it after his (in)famous comment about videogames a couple of years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, even Roger Ebert likes this movie. I was pretty sure he'd hate it after his (in)famous comment about videogames a couple of years ago.

This isn't a game, so it's not like the same rules apply.

I saw the midnight showing as well.

It was honestly pretty disappointing.

Almost the entire film takes place in a place made out of sweets.

I found the little girl to mostly be annoying as well (didnt know she was going to be a main character) and some of the humor was pretty dry...

On the other hand the movie still has allot of good in it, and some clever humor.

It just gets lost in the middle in my opinion.

6/10

Edited by TheDanimator