Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

So is it bad that I currently have much more faith and excitement in Disney's new animation projects than Pixar now?

Nothing stays on top forever (I'm looking at you, Justin Bieber!).

Just got back from seeing it tonight. I fucking cried at points. Cried. Fogged up my 3D specks and all.

If I actually go and see this again (which I might), I think I might cry more.

I also got so giddy whenever they had a Sonic cameo, and I don't care. Sonic giving a PSA about dying for realz outside your own game was epic. But I also really enjoyed that he was a guest at that posh 30th anniversary party that the Nicelanders were throwing.

I also jumped up and screamed during the Sonic themed segment during the credit roll.

Konami Code. Jenkins. Aerith was here/lives. Too many things to count, but it works. I can tell they put a lot of love into this, and it just...works.

This was a movie about a game, for gamers, made by gamers. I don't think I've related this well to a movie in such a long while.

• Thumbs Up 4

I would absolutely love a sequel, and that's not something I say often. There's just so much room for creativity thanks to the premise of the movie, and that idea posted above about online and console gaming sounds fantastic.

While I always criticize film companies (ESPECIALLY Disney) for making sequels, I would actually really like to see a sequel. But only if it was done right.

Disney released a fake Sugar Rush commercial, and they claim the game is from '97. Problem is, the graphics are way too good for a 1997 game. The cabinet itself looked like a 2003/2004 arcade racer. Not a 1997 game.

Edit: I get that the "graphics" in this commercial are actually movie clips, but in the movie itself the video game footage still looked pretty good. Not blocky like a game from 1997 would appear as.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 2

I saw it on release day and I thought it was fantastic! All those video game cameos made me smile, and both the story and characters were very well done.

The Candy King being Turbo was something I did not expect and the transformation scene was pretty disturbing.

Edited by Kevin
FTFY

I'll be honest, before the film even ended I thought "yeah, there's some real sequel potential in this." Don't get me wrong, the movie was fantastic and good enough to stand on its own with or without a successor. But there's a whole universe of untapped potential here, and I'd hate for the imagination that went into this set and character design to end with just three game settings.

My local Odeon cinema has put some window stickers up for it recently. Might ask them if I can have the one with Eggman on when they're done with it :P

e13h2s.jpg

9ir0a1.jpg

I recognized the arcade owner in the movie, based on Walter Day, the founder of Twin Galaxies and competititve gaming!

• Thumbs Up 2

I caved and saw this - and I kinda liked it, but it was nothing special. Just another Disney film, really.

However I was sad enough to try and spot all of Sonic's cameos beyond his public service announcement scene - I think I saw him four times, and squeed at every single one like a child.

Oh geez.

Anyways, I felt

the twist was kinda... scary... for a kids film. Yeesh.

A fun film all the same. I liked Ralph, Venellope wasn't as annoying as I thought she might have been from the trailers, and it wasn't too much of a marketing whorehouse for various gaming franchises. The film concentrated on the fictitious characters and kept the established ones as cameos, which for me was just fine. :)

I recognized the arcade owner in the movie, based on Walter Day, the founder of Twin Galaxies and competititve gaming!

I figured they looked pretty similar but if it is an intentional reference that makes it even better.

So yeah, after seeing it a second time, I'm sticking with my opinion that Wreck-It Ralph was good but not great. It kind of baffles me that people think that Walt Disney Animation outdid Pixar this year. Brave was definitely an overall better movie, in my opinion. I really don't understand why everyone was so critical of that while Wreck-It Ralph seems to be getting far more praise.

The concept was cool and it gets points just for that, but I feel like there was a lot of untapped potential that would have helped it go from decent to awesome (i.e.: more game jumping, massive plot points coming out of nowhere with no foreshadowing, etc.). This is an instance where I wouldn't mind a sequel, because this universe deserves be expanded upon a bit.

Also, this obviously won't apply to everyone, but I still think that Vanellope was irritating. I think a lot of that just has to do with me disliking Sara Silverman's voice in general, and I definitely wasn't a fan of all the potty humor. Every other performance in the movie was great (Jane Lynch stole the show, for me), but just this one character ate at me. Different strokes for different blokes, I guess.

To its credit, I'm thankful that none of the real video game references got in the way of the plot. Thank goodness that there wasn't even one "The cake is a lie" reference even though they were in a sweets video game for 90% of the film.

Overall, it's worth seeing, but I can't help but feel slightly disappointed.

Oh, and Paperman is perfect and worth the ticket price by itself. Seriously, what a beautiful and cute short. I can't gush enough.

Edited by gunthetra
  • Thumbs Up 3