Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

So yeah, after seeing it a second time, I'm sticking with my opinion that Wreck-It Ralph was good but not great. It kind of baffles me that people think that Walt Disney Animation outdid Pixar this year. Brave was definitely an overall better movie, in my opinion. I really don't understand why everyone was so critical of that while Wreck-It Ralph seems to be getting far more praise.
I don't know. I may not have seen Ralph yet, but I think Brave is a very bad movie.

If it wasn't for the stunning animation and one specific riverside scene where they almost capture authentic emotion, you'd be hard-pressed to convince me Brave actually was a Pixar film. There is no life; no heart to it. The story is an afterthought and, to be quite honest, I'm surprised it was ever green lit.

Considering everything I've seen about it, I highly doubt Wreck-It Ralph can be any worse.

Edited by Homem
  • Thumbs Up 5

While I do agree that Pixar has done far better, Brave was still good, or at the very least, far from terrible. The focus was on the relationship between Merida and her mother, and I feel like like it was presented and developed well enough to keep me interested in the story progression.

That's just my view, though. Perhaps I was expecting "THE WORST PICKSAR MOVIE EVERRR!!!1" like people were claiming and that skewed my opinion a bit, aha.

• Thumbs Up 1

I definitely wasn't a fan of all the potty humor.

The movie has like what? A total of 30 seconds of potty humor throughout? Not to mention the potty humor was a part of their relationship. Not everyone jokes around using clever jokes, specially seven year olds. Them using potty humor for a reason was refreshing, not to mention the double meaning of the "the stinkiest brain ever" line was a very clever use of potty humor for character dynamic. Also, of course she was annoying, she's seven! I love Brave and even i will say it's nowhere near close to Wreck-It-Ralph. Brave was a formulaic Disney princess movie that had way more untapped potential. Very well executed,yes, but still formulaic.

If they did more game jumping and stuff it would get in the way of the story, the movie worked because it kept the focus on what mattered.Not to mention all the subtle metaphors spread througout the movie.

I'm gonna be that guy: You just didn't get it.

Edited by Pound-It Pedro
  • Thumbs Up 7

I fully understand that she was intended to be annoying, it was just a bit too much and a bit too distracting for my tastes. They were going for a "annoying little sister with a heart of gold" type of dynamic, but I feel like they executed the "annoying" bit a little too much. I already said that it's probably a 'your mileage may vary' kind of dealio, since I've heard numerous views on this one character.

Again, I didn't hate the movie, and I wholeheartedly welcome a sequel because I just love how creative its universe is. The world it was set in was so interesting and visually appearing that I feel like it's a bit of a shame that only 3 worlds were made relevant to the story.

The movie overall worked, and I certainly don't regret seeing it twice. I personally was just a bit underwhelmed.

The movie has like what? A total of 30 seconds of potty humor throughout? Not to mention the potty humor was a part of their relationship. Not everyone jokes around using clever jokes, specially seven year olds. Them using potty humor for a reason was refreshing, not to mention the double meaning of the "the stinkiest brain ever" line was a very clever use of potty humor for character dynamic.

I have to agree with this. I dunno about other people, but me and my sisters often joke around immaturely, most often having to do with poop jokes. Anyone else who hated the potty humor in this movie hung around with us, would probably wanna kill us if they heard any of our jokes. So the silly name calling and potty jokes with Ralph and Vanellope were rather charming for me.

Besides, I think there were more food puns than potty humor throughout the movie... not that I thought they it wasn't funny. I lol'd at the Wizard of Oz reference.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings
  • Thumbs Up 3

The movie overall worked, and I certainly don't regret seeing it twice. I personally was just a bit underwhelmed.

Out of curiosity: What did you think of Cars 2 and Winnie the Pooh from last year? Which was best?

Edited by Pound-It Pedro

So I saw this a few days ago, and I loved it. I seriously can not gush about this movie enough! Even without all the little game references and cameos, this would still be a great movie, but having them included just puts it over the top. I think this is quite possibly my favorite Disney movie ever, right next to the Toy Story trilogy. Personally, it brought out a lot of Toy Story 3 type emotions, which almost made me cry at points, so for this movie to do something like that and make me care so much for the characters in such a short amount of time, is an amazing feat. Especially...

when Ralph was falling and going to erupt the cola volcano, and started to recite the bad guy anthem

...my feels, how do I hold all of them?

All in all, great humor (including the potty humor as I felt it fit well with Ralph and Vanellope's dynamic), great characters, great story, etc. Definitely recommended to anyone who still hasn't seen it yet.

• Thumbs Up 8

Wait...my brain just realized that since Vanellope is restored to her position as a princess at the end of the movie...wouldn't that mean she counts as a Disney Princess?

EDIT: Oh yeah, sorry bout that. Spur of the moment.

Edited by Malpercio

The whole concept of Game Central Station reminds me so much of those old Dreamcast ads of the video game characters just hanging out after their games inside the Dreamcast. It took me awhile to even remember those ads but when I saw Wreck it Ralph I knew something seemed familiar a bit.

• Thumbs Up 7

So I got to watch it this weekend finally~

Anyways, it was pretty neat. I really enjoyed this world around video games and stuff, laughed at a few references and the whole she bang, but I feel like the hype cannon was built up a bit much. I mean the movie was great and all, but I just don't think it was as god tier as everyone makes it out to be. I guess (and I've heard this a few times before), I wish the movie wasn't 80% in Sugar Rush. By the time it got to that game, I was really curious about this arcade world and wanted to see it all, but just wound up stuck in Sugar Rush the majority of the movie.

I don't know, maybe just a personal nitch, but that aside, I really enjoyed myself the whole movie. The climax with Ralph there was really amazing.

• Thumbs Up 4

I finally saw the movie Saturday night. I almost didn't make it to watching it then as I was totally exhausted from working an 54-hour work week due to the Thanksgiving holiday. But I had promised 4 kids that I know that I would take them to see Wreck-It-Ralph, and I was determined to keep my promise. So glad that I did.

Anyway, the movie was absolutely wonderful! Absolutely amazing! I laughed so hard during the movie that I shed tears. Time and time again there were parts that absolutely cracked me up! Also shed a tear or two on a certain part that touched me and made me sad. The last movie that had me experience several emotions like that was Toy Story 3. Sans details/spoilers the ending threw me off too on more than one occasion, but in a good way.

The story was excellent on it's own, but all of the cameos sweetened the deal. I was surprised to hear people in the audience cheering when Sonic made his first cameo. Someone even went "OMG! Sonic!" I was very pleased. I personally made it a point not to spoil what Sonic had said so his PSA was new to me and brought a huge smile to my face as did his other cameos.

As for the potty humor, it didn't bother me none, as I found it rather fitting. Enjoyed all the humor actually as I laughed a ton throughout the movie. I thought all the characters were well portrayed, especially Ralph and Vanellope. Speaking of Vanellope, I didn't find her annoying at all. I actually found her to be hilarious and adorable. The movie helped me to like her more than I already did beforehand.

As for a sequel, I wouldn't mind one at all. The potential on expand upon the video game world in a movie is huge. I could see a sequel to this being done, and very well too.

Also as others have mentioned, if you haven't seen this movie already, please go and see it! You won't be disappointed! The plot, the humor, the beautiful and bright colors, the characters, the cameos-everything was well done. I have no complaints about the movie whatsoever. In fact, I am going to see it again in the near future as I promised to take another group of kids to see it. In the end these trips to see Wreck-It-Ralph is going to cost me quite a bit, but I am going to do it with no regrets. I feel that Disney deserves very cent that I shelled out so far and very cent that I will still shell out for it as it is a fantastic movie, one of the best that I've ever seen. I absolutely loved it! smile.png

Oh, and Paperman was outstanding! Simply put, it was short, yet very sweet. I think it has potential to be expanded on as well. Definitely could watch that over and over again!

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm so freaking tired of the "Too much Sugar Rush, go back to game jumping" complaint. So basically you wanted a mindless string of video game references for 90 minutes instead of a real,deep and heartfelt story of 2 outcasts who just wanted some respect and found that respect in each other.

Again: You just didn't get it. Go watch Scott Pilgrim, that movie has no substance whatsoever, it will please you guys.

Part of what makes this movie such a treat is that it doesn't try to rely on video game references and official characters to carry the movie , it has a very solid backbone and overall plot that all the extra gaming stuff just icing on the cake. Don't get me wrong, I squealed like a girl when I saw Sonic give that PSA and when I saw that wall of fame in Tapper's bathroom area, but characters such as Ralph, Felix, and Vanelope are the real reasons you would want to see the move.

Freaking thank you!

Edited by Pound-It Pedro
  • Thumbs Up 2

I also saw the movie and I loved it from start to finish.

#Praises the movie#

Bottom Line: See this move goddamit.

I would if I could, goddamit.

I'm so freaking tired of the "Too much Sugar Rush, go back to game jumping" complaint. So basically you wanted a mindless string of video game references for 90 minutes instead of a real,deep and heartfelt story of 2 outcasts who just wanted some respect and found that respect in each other.

Again: You just didn't get it. Go watch Scott Pilgrim, that movie has no substance whatsoever, it will please you guys.

That looks like quite a straw man there.

• Thumbs Up 5

The concept was cool and it gets points just for that, but I feel like there was a lot of untapped potential that would have helped it go from decent to awesome (i.e.: more game jumping, massive plot points coming out of nowhere with no foreshadowing, etc.). This is an instance where I wouldn't mind a sequel, because this universe deserves be expanded upon a bit.

There wasn't any foreshadowing? But there was! For example,

Throughout the film characters used the term "going Turbo" which foreshadowed King Candy's identity and what happened to Sugar Rush.

Other game jumping would have been cool, yeah, but I think if more games were visited it would be a bit unnecessary. Ralph was in his game, then intended to go to one other game to get what he wanted only to end up in another game by accident. Anything more than that might have seemed like more than enough. Other games were represented by having other characters cameo here and there without interfering with the plot.

• Thumbs Up 1

There wasn't any foreshadowing? But there was! For example,

Throughout the film characters used the term "going Turbo" which foreshadowed King Candy's identity and what happened to Sugar Rush.

Plus:

Why are all of the playable characters but King Candy in Sugar Rush all big eyed and kid-like, while Candy is an old man with small eyes? Already he's a bit out of place just from his design.

Also, the whole TurboTime/Roadblasters incident occurred due to Turbo's lust for attention and wanting to be the best racer over everyone else. Not a big coincidence when you think about where most of the movie takes place - a racing title. Also, what better way to satisfy the aforementioned lust by being the centre of attention - i.e. a king?

• Thumbs Up 1

I can understand the criticism of too much time is spent in Sugar Rush, but I don't understand how more game jumping would have fixed that? I mean considering the three primary games are where the four main characters came from, did it really need to go anywhere else?

If anything, the only real complaint I had was how much of the plot was focused on Vanillope; now don't get me wrong, I had no problem with her character, annoying little kid, seen it a million times and at least she has some depth to her character to counteract it, BUT...the movie is called Wreck-it Ralph I didn't go to see Vanillope's story, I wanted to see Ralph's. While Ralph's character arc eventually was resolved, I felt it was pushed aside for Vanillope's story because the entirety of the action in Sugar Rush revolves her being a glitch and wanting to race.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Ragna:

Vanellope's story was an essential part of Ralph's story. It's by helping her and being the only one that likes her for what she is that he becomes "her hero". As the final line says: "Turns out i don't need a medal to tell me i'm a good guy, because if that little kid likes me, how bad can i be?" Ralph finally realises that he doesn't need everybody to tell him he's a hero, Vanellope thinks he is and that's enough for him. It's all part of the grand plan

smile.png

Edited by Pound-It Pedro

I think Sugar Rush's ultimate problem is that the majority of its landscape just isn't all that video-gamey. "Food Land" is not the most recurring of gimmicks in video games in general, especially as the theme for an entire game, nor is a greater attempt made to hit the point home that it is a game when you're away from the track, such as in Fix-It Felix Jr. where the denizens move in such a disjointed 8-bit manner that it gives their world a more blatant visual connection with the digital realm they reside in. But when I think of video games, laughing Laffy Taffy, Nesquik Sand, and gumball jokes and are not what I think of. At all. Fix-It Felix Jr. and Hero's Duty hit the ball out of the park in this regard, and I was a bit disappointed when didn't get more time in the latter, mostly because it took the piss so much with modern shooters that it become funny in its own right.

• Thumbs Up 6

Am I the only one that's a bit surprised that Kingdom Hearts characters didn't make any cameos, considering it is a Disney franchise and all?