Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

I think Sugar Rush's ultimate problem is that the majority of its landscape just isn't all that video-gamey. "Food Land" is not the most recurring of gimmicks in video games in general, especially as the theme for an entire game, nor is a greater attempt made to hit the point home that it is a game when you're away from the track, such as in Fix-It Felix Jr. where the denizens move in such a disjointed 8-bit manner that it gives their world a more blatant visual connection with the digital realm they reside in. But when I think of video games, laughing Laffy Taffy, Nesquik Sand, and gumball jokes and are not what I think of. At all. Fix-It Felix Jr. and Hero's Duty hit the ball out of the park in this regard, and I was a bit disappointed when didn't get more time in the latter, mostly because it took the piss so much with modern shooters that it become funny in its own right.

Thank you for wording what I wanted to say perfectly. It's not necessarily that the movie needed more game jumping, per se, it just spent such a large amount of its time not feeling like a video game universe that it felt like it needed something more.

The other game worlds the story showed felt so stylistically video game-y that they overshadowed Sugar Rush's whole Candyland with a cart race motif it had going on.

Am I the only one that's a bit surprised that Kingdom Hearts characters didn't make any cameos, considering it is a Disney franchise and all?

Isn't it owned by both Square Enix and Disney? Did any SE characters even show up in the movie?

Am I the only one that's a bit surprised that Kingdom Hearts characters didn't make any cameos, considering it is a Disney franchise and all?

Not really. I feel that they wanted to capture the essence of video games; not necessarily individual games. Bison, Pacman ghosts or Robotnik represent gaming, as a whole, better than Kingdom Hearts. Remember, this is not a movie about Disney.

Seeing how this movie is mostly about retro and arcade gaming and videogame characters then no, I'm not suprised at all.

sonfan's explanation of the use of arcade characters work best. But in terms of only using characters that represent the overall concept of gaming best, I don't think Tapper beats out Sora in the general collective memory in this era; in fact, I feel he's such a low-down reference that I'm the only one in my full theater who laughed when his game started, yet he got an extended cameo anyway. A background model or picture in the terminal would've been fine, but at the same time, it's not missed.

@Ragna:

Vanellope's story was an essential part of Ralph's story. It's by helping her and being the only one that likes her for what she is that he becomes "her hero". As the final line says: "Turns out i don't need a medal to tell me i'm a good guy, because if that little kid likes me, how bad can i be?" Ralph finally realises that he doesn't need everybody to tell him he's a hero, Vanellope thinks he is and that's enough for him. It's all part of the grand plan

smile.png

Vanillope's story being essential to Ralph's doesn't change the fact that it's Vanillope's story the movie mostly focuses around, which is the main part of my argument.

And in addition to what Nepenthe said, Sugar Rush just didn't feel like a video game world, in fact if it wasn't for the fact that it was confirmed as a game, you'd have a hard time knows Sugar Rush was one.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

And in addition to what Nepenthe said, Sugar Rush just didn't feel like a video game world, in fact if it wasn't for the fact that it was confirmed as a game, you'd have a hard time knows Sugar Rush was one.

I am lost; how does Sugar Rush not feel like a game world exactly?

It's mostly because "Food Land" is not one of the most used tropes to base an entire video game around, and there's an overabundance of food-related comedy on top of it which clashes with what people commonly think of when they see video games. I think it would've better served the themes of the film to have multiple locations during the final track as one would find in a kart game, and perhaps the central area be some kind of generic Mario Kart-inspired race track, instead of this entire world made of nothing but food.

• Thumbs Up 2

A Little Update on a possible Wreck It Ralph Sequel.

And it appears Rich Moore is expressing interest in giving Mario a big role (I'm expecting something similar to Toy Story 2 where Barbie had quite a few scenes)

Hey, I'm all for it.

I'd lol of Mario called Felix a handsome fellow. (I apologize for my brief use of Internet lingo)

Heeeey! I put together that little image, sega-portal.de just cited us and used the same image. http://segabits.com/blog/2012/12/06/sonic-eggman-and-neff-make-the-blu-ray-cover-art-for-wreck-it-ralph/

But glad they cited us! Can't decide on which version to get... I'll never be into 3D bluray but then again I do like the gold cover more...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the movie came out in Italy and I LOVE IT. I'm going to be honest with you: at first I was afraid that the movie wouldn't live up to my expectations. I mean, I was SO hyped that I thought that I was going to be disappointed, one way or another. But this movie was amazing, fantastic and, dare I say, adorable. I can't wait for this to came out on DVD.

Screw it, I'm going back to the cinema and re-watch it again. It was one dinamite movie.

Talking about Sonic though...His voice actor in Sonic X was used...but he voices King Candy instead. Sonic's voice in this movie was the voice actor of Inuyasha, Dawson Leery and Prince Naveen from "The Princess and the Frog". Kinda weird, but fitting the character nevertheless.

Edited by Nail-it Nald

It's still not out in the UK and won't be for another...2 months :/

What the hell, Disney?? Why do the UK and poor Japan have to wait 2-3 months more?? Ugh.

What the hell, Disney?? Why do the UK and poor Japan have to wait 2-3 months more?? Ugh.

I don't get it either. They don't even have to dub it, right?

I don't get it either. They don't even have to dub it, right?

No, not at all. The only thing with the Japanese one is sure, they do dub them, but...UK? Why are we getting held back? Why were we also held back with Brave for months when it's based in feckin' Scotland?

Feckin' Disney.

Talking about Sonic though...His voice actor in Sonic X was used...but he voices King Candy. Sonic's voice in this movie was the voice actor of Inuyasha, Dawson Leery and Prince Naveen from "The Princess and the Frog". Kinda weird, but fitting the character nevertheless.

Yeah my country also used our Sonic X voice actor who sucks maybe even more then Griffith(Hard to believe i know). Fortunately the rest of the cast was excellent as is usual with our Disney dubs. One thing i love is that we used a 10 year old girl to play Vanellope, which made her even more adorable to me. I always wonder why doesn't Disney usually get children to play child characters.. They did it with Bonnie in Toy Story 3.

Edited by pppp
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah my country also used our Sonic X voice actor who sucks maybe even more then Griffith(Hard to believe i know). Fortunately the rest of the cast was excellent as is usual with our Disney dubs. One thing i love is that we used a 10 year old girl to play Vanellope, which made her even more adorable to me. I always wonder why doesn't Disney usually get children to play child characters.. They did it with Bonnie in Toy Story 3.

Yeah I was afraid to see the movie dubbed but the voices were really good. Except Sonic, cringe worthy.dry.png  

Because it's Pixar that uses child voice actors in that fashion, not Disney. Disney like to get big stars and what not to do their films.

Speaking of Japan, when it comes to Disney Movies they usually show them in English with Japanese subtitles too. Something about the Japanese wanting to hear the celebrity voice talent.

If I were to venture a guess, Europe and Japan are on the same DVD region so I imagine Disney arbitrarily ties their dates together so the DVD can come out simultaneously.