Awoo.

Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

jennytablina

If I were to venture a guess, Europe and Japan are on the same DVD region so I imagine Disney arbitrarily ties their dates together so the DVD can come out simultaneously.  

Remember when movies started being released in theaters worldwide simultaneously to combat the problem of illegal digital distribution?

They should really keep doing that. As a consumer, I hate being punished for not pirating.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I were to venture a guess, Europe and Japan are on the same DVD region so I imagine Disney arbitrarily ties their dates together so the DVD can come out simultaneously.  

But I'm European and the movie just came out. Dubbed in Italian.

Yeah, in fact here's the release dates for the rest of the countries that don't quite have the film:

Argentina - 3 January 2013
Brazil - 4 January 2013
Paraguay - 4 January 2013
Lithuania - 11 January 2013
Poland - 18 January 2013
Estonia - 25 January 2013
Denmark - 7 February 2013
Ireland - 8 February 2013
Norway - 8 February 2013
Sweden - 8 February 2013
UK - 8 February 2013
Finland - 15 February 2013
Turkey-  15 February 2013
Japan - 23 March 2013

A fair portion Europe has the film by now.

Yeah, in fact here's the release dates for the rest of the countries that don't quite have the film:

Argentina - 3 January 2013
Brazil - 4 January 2013
Paraguay - 4 January 2013
Lithuania - 11 January 2013
Poland - 18 January 2013
Estonia - 25 January 2013
Denmark - 7 February 2013
Ireland - 8 February 2013
Norway - 8 February 2013
Sweden - 8 February 2013
UK - 8 February 2013
Finland - 15 February 2013
Turkey-  15 February 2013
Japan - 23 March 2013

A fair portion Europe has the film by now.

You guys had to wait until up to March to see the film? WTF? Why does it take so long for it to be released over there?

No idea, all I know is now that the DVD and Blu-ray announcements have been made, it'll be on the internet in HD by the time it gets to the cinema here.

HD Digital and HD Digital 3D versions on February 12, followed by the Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray and DVD release on March 5. Seriously, Disney, if you don't want to encourage pirating, WHY do you space out your release dates stupidly?

• 4 weeks later...

Totally understand your criticism's Hogfather but I agree, those aside it was a great film. Can't wait to get it on blu-ray and flick through it frame by frame during the game central station scenes to try and spot background cameos.

Went to see it yesterday and the cinema was nearly empty, seems like a really weird time to release it if I'm honest, is february known for massive cinema attendance?

But yeah, I loved it, also paperman was a genuinely beautiful short film.

I posted a review of it on my blog so I'll just link to that rather than make a massive post http://talesfromideath.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/wreck-it-ralph.html

There was probably barely anyone seeing it because it's one of those films that everybody and their grandmother has already illegally downloaded the film now that there's a DVD screening copy out on the net.

It's quite sad, really. Disney always do this crap when it comes to regions, as if disregarding the others exist for a month or so.

Oh well, the film is good and all, but I do see what ign meant when they reviewed the film as well as a negative.

It was released in the Czech Republic in November. It is kinda mean that the UK had to wait until today to see it...

Anyways I partially agree with Hogfather there;

I did suddenly remember during the Sugar Rush bit "oh yeah this is a game world!" because I feel they went a little heavy with the sweet-world theme. There should have been more of the Sugar Rush game. The time between it's established Venellope will race to the point where she is going to just seems too long, for my liking. Also, more Heroes Duty!!

:D

I noticed that the Oddworld Facebook page has been making noises about getting Abe into a potential Wreck-It Ralph 2. Not sure how I feel about that. I mean, I love the Oddworld games, its another of my favourite franchises but for me Abe doesn't really sit in the same category of classic video game characters as say Sonic and Mario do. I get the impression Oddworld is much more niched in its fandom than the powerhouses of Sega and Nintendo of the '90s.

Not gonna lie, I was pretty disappointed, to say the least.

I had not looked at any spoilers or anything, but had heard Sonic was to be included, along with Eggman. And was like Ooh, this is gonna be good! and of course, all the advertisements had Sonic included. If you ask me, it's completely misleading. I went in expecting to see video game characters I recognised, albeit even though I knew they weren't going to be the main focus, and, I was most disappointed.

Sonic was only shown for like what, 10 seconds at the beginning and a couple of seconds later on. That's it. So why include him in every advertisement around? It's a con to make people go see it.

Now onto the film itself, it was pretty good... found it rather Childish, but I guess that's to be expected in a Disney movie, but it seems more-so Childish than a lot of them. Vanellope was a decent character and the story pulled at my heartstrings on several occasions. Although is it me, or after Ralph entered Sugar Rush did it feel like I was watching a completely different movie, completely not video game based? It felt like I was watching something along the lines of some girly fairytale story. And, it felt a lot like a wasted opportunity of a gaming related movie.

So yeah all in all it was a good film, definitely not one of Disney's best, very much on the Childish side and if you're expecting a film with loads of recognisable video game characters such as Sonic, you will be disappointed sad.png

Sonic got more cameos than any other video game character that had no plot relevance or interaction with the main cast. I'm surprised some people think he didn't get enough screentime.

This film is basically Roger Rabbit with game characters; it's not entirely a crossover. They're there to sell the movie, but don't expect them to have any real relevance. And when they do, it's an exception to the rule.

• Thumbs Up 9

yeah it was never said that the licensed characters were ever going to be more than cameos, the marketing is kind of deceptive but that's nothing to do with the filmmakers, the marketing of films usually has little to nothing to do with the people who made it, especially in a massive corporation like disney.

I always thought of Sonic as a nice bonus rather than the reason to see this movie.

In fact, I don't care whether you like Roger or not, having him voice Sonic is definitely better than having some in-house Disney VA do it.

P.S.: I like Roger.

• Thumbs Up 1

I went into the movie with the shittiest mood and came out with the biggest smile. I do have a few problems with the movie but it's just so... charming. It's a really good movie and it made me smile. It was heartwarming and even sad at times.

The cast was fantastic and I loved every minute of it. It's turned a shitty week into something really nice, and I'm glad I finally got to see the movie. Hoping it wins The Oscar.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well the artbook shows an unused concept that was supposed to be  the third hame ralph visited. It was a big open city similar to Grand Theft Auto. It was supposed to happen after Ralph leaves Penelope's world towards the end of the movie. The concept art is just gorgeous.

I just found out why Wreck-It Ralph came out so late in the UK.

Nick, a radio DJ in the UK voiced Dr. Brad Scott & Sergeant Calhoun's fiancee in the movie, replacing Tim Mertens, the original voice actor for these characters in America.

So there was a little redubbing.

Edited by Ming Ming Shana

Saw it in the cinema today! Iwas hoping for an empty screen just like Hogfather, or at least one with very few people...over 60 would not constitute as such. 

Loved it so much. Not only were the cameos neat to find (I thought I was the nerd there, but another group of twenty-somethings pointed out that the final Disney ident was a reference to Pac-Man and it's infamous 256th level. Geebus...), but the characters were all around very well characterised and I even felt that the Sugar Rush bit didn't feel out of place considering the way that it still kept up little reminders that it was a video game world. 

Also the foreshadowing in the bit where Vanellope was learning to drive and the shards fell into the lava, thus making small bursts of shiny lava rise up? Very clever. Made the solution to Cybug Turbo feel plenty natural.

I also have two separate notes to say;

1. Sugar Rush and Wreck-It Ralph (the songs)? Catchy as heck.

2. Hate to report this, but when Sonic first appeared on the screen as a cameo? It got no reaction from the audience whatsoever. Maybe ASRT being out for so long beforehand made everyone there aware of his involvement. On the other hand, Bowser's cameo got quite a few excited murmurs from the kids. He was the only one anyone reacted to. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I'll admit to loving the film's main theme, "When Can I See You Again?" though I'm not really into modern pop songs most of the time. "Sugar Rush" is almost growing on me.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've no idea why nick Grimshaw was in it, seemed really pointless, it's not even like he was a big enough name to add any draw to the film.....

Anywhooooooooo

How about the wonderful score by Henry Jackman? It's catchy, it's upbeat and sweet. My pick for best score of 2012:

• Thumbs Up 1

2. Hate to report this, but when Sonic first appeared on the screen as a cameo? It got no reaction from the audience whatsoever. Maybe ASRT being out for so long beforehand made everyone there aware of his involvement. On the other hand, Bowser's cameo got quite a few excited murmurs from the kids. He was the only one anyone reacted to. 

For me it was the opposite - there were a few reactions when Sonic came up in the PSA. But the best was when Tapper appeared and some 7-8 year old kid shouted "Look it's Mario!"

• Thumbs Up 2

wasn't much reactions in the actually theatre for me, the kids were actually really well behaved (thank god) but in the lobby i witnessed three separate instances of kids seeing the poster and going apeshit cause sonic was on it. made me smile every time :)

For those who recently saw the movie

Were you surprised by that King Candy was really Turbo, or did you see it coming?

Edited by Kevin