Awoo.

Sonic games that deserve ports or HD remakes

Debug Ring

As for my actual thoughts, I really don't want any.

Most of the older games are still near at hand, between collections, downloadables, and backwards compatibility. About the only one that's worth doing is SA2, since it's only readily available to Gamecube/Wii owners, but since I am one and have had SA2B almost since it was released I personally couldn't care less. As for remakes, the ones worth playing hold up well enough and I have no interest in spending money for a questionable HDification of them.

If they were ever to do a full from-scratch remake I'd vote for SA, but it would take some major restructuring (fishing? Really? Well over a decade later and that is still the most baffling thing) and refining of the gameplay, and even then I'm not sure it'd be worth it. Plus if they did it now they'd probably turn it into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JUM2vqQkw.

I don't feel like pulling out a Wii or GameCube to play Sonic Adventure 2 these days. Especially since I don't like or use those consoles much at all.

Port it to PS3 and 360.

Edited by Chooch

> taking the joke seriously

I honestly didn't know if Nintendo had any sort of policy on this because I couldn't think of any games that were Wii exclusives that then went multi-platform.

It's not out of the question considering Microsoft's childish WE WANT IT FIRST XBLA policy.

Plus if they did it now they'd probably turn it into http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-JUM2vqQkw.

Yaaaaaay. 8D

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 6

If anything, an HD remake of the original trilogy with updated graphics (perhaps in the style of Sonic 4 (ep. 2 obviously))

With expanded features such as improved physics for Sonic 1 to be more inline with the other two, being able to fly as Tails in Sonic 2, etc. either new cinematics for story related events or cinematic remakes of cutscenes from the originals (i.e endings, Sonic 3 intro, etc) expanded online features including online multiplayer for all games, leaderboards etc.

Edited by Black Spy

I honestly didn't know if Nintendo had any sort of policy on this because I couldn't think of any games that were Wii exclusives that then went multi-platform.

I was making fun of the Wii fans who were demanding the game remained exclusive. Because.

I was making fun of the Wii fans who were demanding the game remained exclusive. Because.

Yeah, lol, I know what you mean. Just wasn't sure.

As much as I love the classics and nods to previous adventures and stuff, I REALLY don't want anything like a remake, especially not now that the last couple of games have all been about being based around games from the past.

I would really like it if SEGA would move forward already and work on something newer now instead of just trying to focus on what used to be.

I wasn't very happy when Sonic Free Riders was released as an exclusive for the 360, so now that Sony has the PlayStation Move, I would really like to see it ported to the PS3.

Fuck it actually I think the MS/GG Sonic titles should be remade and rereleased using Taxman's Engine (in 32-bit thank you). Those games are frankly uplayable in some ports I have access to (fucking Mega Collection Plus cheap-ass emulation) and they could do with proper physics and a little improved level design, and most importantly; COLLISION DETECTION.

• Thumbs Up 1

Taxman ports of the Classic Quartet would be dandy, but now isn't the time to really focus on them, I don't think. An HD port of Adventure 2 and Heroes couldn't go wrong, either.

Edited by Indigo Rush

SegaSonic Arcade NEEDS a rerelease. With touchscreens being so prolific, there's no excuse not to. I'd also love to see the other obscure Japanese arcade games, like Cosmo Fighter and Patrol Car. And an HD Sonic Adventure would be lovely, although I'm not sure why Sega would waste time reskinning a game that's already perfectly good.

-Comes in expecting to see Sonic Colors port everywhere. Sees people don't care about remakes at all and just want new content-

I love you all

• Thumbs Up 1

If SA and SA2 are to be re-released, they'd have to be nothing short of totally remade. AT LEAST to the quality of Generations, if not better. Plus the script re-written and re-recorded (with the current 2010 ~ present cast mind you) and all the plot holes and inconsistancies removed. All of the bullshit gameplay (hunting and mechs and fishing and so on) removed and replaced with something more akin to a Sonic-y platformer, not multiple different games smushed into one. Most importantly, other characters should be OPTIONAL to play, for SA2 the main story should be completeable (from either hero or villain perspective) just by playing as Sonic/Shadow. For SA1, the same applies except each characters individual stories should be optional and you should be able to access Perfect Chaos just by playing as Sonic.

Of course to go to such an extent, you may as well just make a brand new game.

Edited by Scar

Sonic Adventure 2 deserves a port...it would be gorgeous in HD widescreen...they did it wrong with SADX, it looks ugly without widescreen support, and if you have the Dreamcast collection disc, the loading is just as bad or worse than 06.

I'm all for replacing the hunting and shooting and fishing with something more Sonic-y as long as the previous Knuckles/Tails/Rouge stages remain completely optional to play , but if the story could be completed with Sonic and Shadow only? The game could be finished too quickly. If they can remake the Knuckles, Tails, and Rouge stages into something more Sonic-y and good, they shouldn't be optional, they should be used to make the game longer...but not like the bad filler SA1/2 made it, but good filler that's more fun. If they can't remake the Knux, Tails, and Rouge stages into something good and more Sonic-y, then yeah...the only good choice there would be to make the Knux, Tails, and Rouge stages optional.

EDIT: Disregard this, changed view after reading Dio's post.

Edited by BlueChaos

I honestly don't want a remake at this point (want original content), but if I had to choose, I'd go with SA1, with Generations models, Hedgehog-engine-updated visuals, re-animated cut scenes, and the alternate playstyles re-formed into get-to-the-goal levels.

If they can't remake the Knux, Tails, and Rouge stages into something good and more Sonic-y, then yeah...the only good choice there would be to make the Knux, Tails, and Rouge stages optional.
The way I see it, you can't do these things halfway. Either you do everything you can to preserve the original's spirit and concepts, with changes being in the vein of updated visuals, bug fixes, and bonus stuff, or you go full-on fix mode and rebuild it from the ground up. Just making parts of the game optional because they kind of suck is...eugh.

e:

All of the bullshit gameplay (hunting and mechs and fishing and so on) removed and replaced with something more akin to a Sonic-y platformer, not multiple different games smushed into one. Most importantly, other characters should be OPTIONAL to play, for SA2 the main story should be completeable (from either hero or villain perspective) just by playing as Sonic/Shadow.
But if you make everyone's gameplay Sonicy there's really no reason to make everyone else optional. Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 4

The way I see it, you can't do these things halfway. Either you do everything you can to preserve the original's spirit and concepts, with changes being in the vein of updated visuals, bug fixes, and bonus stuff, or you go full-on fix mode and rebuild it from the ground up. Just making parts of the game optional because they kind of suck is...eugh.

I kind of get it, but I'm curious, why can't it be done halfway?

It feels...lazy and dishonest, I guess. Either you commit to replicating the original vision or you commit to fixing the game with your own; you don't just fix a little bit and leave the rest.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of Hd remakes.. I think I'd love to see remakes of Sonic adventure, Sonic adventure 2, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the hedgehog - all made using the Hedgehog engine. I would require to adjust the physics and controls though.

And I'd like to see pretty much almost every level from every game [except the gamegear ones] in Generations style xD.

But yeah, I don't think I'd like if they made that NOW. maybe in 3-4 years. Too many rehashes, remakes and stuff like that recently.

I think Heroes deserves an updated port more than games like Colours or Adventure. For a port, I'd say either Knuckles Chaotix or the Advance games.

So many people tired of remakes when we haven't actually had any remakes apart from the two Adventure series games. Everything else has just been ports. I frankly don't see the problem with keeping the games available to people who have lost their old copies or their systems to play them on, or have just never played the games. I can imagine people without internet access at home missing out on all the downloadable rereleases of classic games after all.

Personally I don't want any remakes unless it significantly enhances the graphics, and adds a few new features.

The best remake of all time, despite it's terrible control pad input, is Super Mario 64 DS in my opinion. 3 new playable characters, several new missions, levels, and bosses, a plethora of minigames, updated graphics and abilities...I was so dissapointed that Ocarina of Time 3D was nowhere near this level. If a Sonic game could add that much content into it, I'd be in love.

If Sega wanted to do the improvements that needed to be made, i'd pick Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. They could reduce loading times, make the amigo characters actually playable, and destroy the glitches and make all the NPCs cartoony, and retitle it Sonic Adventure 3 then I'd be one happy customer.

But that's just me wanting a game remade for the sake of improving it.

Were I to remake a game for the sake of making an already awesome game better? ...I dunno. Sonic Advance? It's pretty much the True Sonic 4, with perfect physics replica, continued tradition of a new playable character ( being totally optional ) no gimmicks, and all that good stuff.