Awoo.

Super Mario Bros. Z

Kuzu

What's garbage, the fact he discontinued it, or the impatience of the fans that helped lead up to the discontinuation?

It's saddening that he discontinued the series, but since he wasn't being paid or commissioned to do it, nor did he owe anything to anyone involving it, he's at full pleasure to do what he wants to the series, termination included. Sucks, to be sure, but that's the breaks.

Edited by Cryogonal

What's garbage, the fact he discontinued it, or the impatience of the fans that helped lead up to the discontinuation?

It's saddening that he discontinued the series, but since he wasn't being paid or commissioned to do it, nor did he owe anything to anyone involving it, he's at full pleasure to do what he wants to the series, termination included. Sucks, to be sure, but that's the breaks.

I'm not even saddened that much by the cancelation because everyone saw it coming it was just a matter of when. it was the constatnt promises he made that kept the hope alive instead of just stomping it outright when Episode 9 was delayed the 2nd time around. I watched his journal for a long time I read how his life was going into a hetic wirlpool and where this project was heading but he still wanted to keep the spark of hope alive. I guess every creator does but my point is that this journal entry should've been made years ago so didn't have to deal with the constant badgering or annoyance of 12 year old retards who had an attention span of a nat.

Another thing was he never accepted help. this project was a huge thing after episode 2 by episode 4 he was talking about the stress it took to get these episodes out to the plublic in a timely matter but out of all of it he never accepted anyones help. there was allways offers of people helping him take the load off wither was the sprite animation or whatever but he denied it all. With these kind of things your bound to head for failure if you don't eventually accept help from other people, nobody is superman after all.

I'm sad, angry, upset, and disheartened but overall I'm calm about it. its been fun even though its been mostly waiting. now he can finally get some rest and start working on stuff he wants to. Who knows maybe he will pass along this project to someone else or pick it up again but thats just wishful thinking...

Edited by goku262002

Well, my quote was replying to what you had posted prior to the edit, but going off what I edited in, Alvin is not forced to do anything he doesn't want to involving SMBZ. The fans don't dictate what goes on. He does. No doubt the impatience of a small vocal group of people hounding him over and over about the next SMBZ episode would contribute to his growing displeasure in making the series, since if he had catered, then he'd either make lackluster episodes, or be coerced to go on a schedule the fans demanded to make sure it's done "correctly."

It is "garbage" that Alvin ended the show on a cliffhanger in the middle of a plot, but as the author, he's entitled to his decisions. What's even more "garbage" is how the impatience of some fans who have no claim to the construction of the series would lead up to that decision, and that can't be reasoned away.

Edited by Cryogonal

Tragic, but not unexpected. In fact, I almost considered this inevitable. Alvin felt like he was at the height of his prime after Episode 8 and promised he wouldn't be taking so long between episodes, yet every single update he had to offer past that would be more and more depressing.

As popular as he is, it isn't exactly turning in any merits, and way too few lone flash animators take it upon themselves to make more than five episodes in some kind of series because of the relentless effort involved. It's what convinced me to give up on "ambitious animation projects" like these.

Well, my quote was replying to what you had posted prior to the edit, but going off what I edited in, Alvin is not forced to do anything he doesn't want to involving SMBZ. The fans don't dictate what goes on. He does. No doubt the impatience of a small vocal group of people hounding him over and over about the next SMBZ episode would contribute to his growing displeasure in making the series, since if he had catered, then he'd either make lackluster episodes, or be coerced to go on a schedule the fans demanded to make sure it's done "correctly."

It is "garbage" that Alvin ended the show on a cliffhanger in the middle of a plot, but as the author, he's entitled to his decisions. What's even more "garbage" is how the impatience of some fans who have no claim to the construction of the series would lead up to that decision, and that can't be reasoned away.

• Thumbs Up 5

Well, can't say I'm surprised, I kind of saw it coming. But hey, it was a fun ride while it lasted, its a bit disappointing that he left it on such a cliffhanger. But most flash projects usually get canned before they're ever finished so this is nothing new.

....May as well lock this, nothing much to talk about anymore.

Ah, SMBZ...probably the first ever Flash series I enjoyed, actually. Everything was animated to perfection, the writing and story was interesting and it was just badass. I'm quite sad to see that it won't be carried on, but I'm happy that Alvin's made his own mind up about it.

I haven't watched them in years, away I go!

It would be nice if he could release the unfinished episode, or leave another animator finish it and make it the last in the series too. But I guess I'm dreaming.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the fans tried continuing the series on their own.

It's not a big surprise, however I do think it was kind of dickish to announce he was going to start working on the next episode not too long ago.

Wow this is disheartening, but I seen this coming miles away as we all have.

I loved almost everything about this series. I remember me and my friends talking to eachother about it, keeping up with the series updates, and re watching episodes from time to time. I love the writing, although it could be a hit or miss at times, he still manages to pull it off nicely at the end of an episode, always leaving me wanting more. I loved how luigi was always doing something stupid and hurting himself because of it, or how he always ended up getting lost. Some of the scenes legitimently had me laughing for a good minute. The sprite animation is superb, and flow of action, although DBZ-ish, has its own unique flavor. Sad to see it go, this series will truly be missed.

It's disappointing, but at least he came out and said it, unlike many people who get into projects that take a lot of effort they can't work into their lives, but keep saying they'll do it someday, but never do, or those that just disappear.

Aw man. Well I can understand where he's coming from. Animation of any kind is really a chore and the fact that some of his fans were very impatient really didn't help.

But I was kind of expecting this since it's been a couple of years since the last episode, but even then I'm still bummed to see this series go. All I can say is that it was a very cool series that had a good run, and I'm at least happy that Alvin is free to move on to bigger and better things.

I guess we all saw this coming, with the last installment being years ago and all..

I never really followed the series as closely as others until a few years back, but from a "lone animator's" standpoint, even though not with flash, I can kinda see things from Alvin's POV; the stress involved, RL/Internet balancing act, impatient people, ect. Though, in my case, what keeps me going through my projects is the satsfaction afterwards, the unexplainable "epic" feel I get from staying up late at night going wild with my art supplies, the fact that the praise from those who appreciate my work usually outnumbers the folks who would jump on me asking when I'd be done, and the fact that I'm doing what I do to ultimately hone my skills for something greater later in life. I guess Alvin's goals and how he saw his projects were just vastly different to how I see mine. Maybe this really was just a simple hobby to him, a hobby that ultimately grew too big for him to handle. And when something you do for fun starts to feel like a chore, you quit doing it. Makes sense I guess.

Whatever he pursues next, I wish him all the best. Though I really hope he continues to dabble in animated works. He's made a name for himself and I'd hate to see him kinda just fade away and be forgotten, unless if that's what he wants for the time being.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, this guy pissed me off, and I don't usually get pissed off.

His comment:

*Dumbass comment*

My reply:

*Smart comment*

I've been meaning to reply to you just needed to find the right words. I can see it from the other guys perceptive, Him being 23 and me being 24 so I'm guessing we started watching around the same time. All that waiting and empty promises were enough to tick anyone off and I was hurt just like he was when the cancellation was finally announced the only difference between me and him was that I took it a bit more maturely while he just raged all over his keyboard and making a total fool of himself.

Guess my point being is that he should've learned a long time ago that he shouldn't unleash all of his feelings on the internet and have alittle more self control. He will regret it in a few days when his maturity kicks back in, if it does.

Whatever he pursues next, I wish him all the best. Though I really hope he continues to dabble in animated works. He's made a name for himself and I'd hate to see him kinda just fade away and be forgotten, unless if that's what he wants for the time being.

Hes telling people to go to his other account so I guess...just furry art? I guess its what makes him happy but it seems like a waste of his animation talent to focus on only drawing. hope he reconsiders animation again sometime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, at least we solved THAT cliffhanger. Figured that was going to happen, but on the other hand, damn now I want to see the Shadow Vs Mecha Sonic fight! Oh well, rest in peace SMBZ.............

Edited by Chaos Warp

It's a real shame it had come to this. 3 years ago I got myself in to the series.

Can't believe after 2 years though, that's all he did for Episode 9. He must have really got bored of SMBZ.

It's a real shame it had come to this. 3 years ago I got myself in to the series.

Can't believe after 2 years though, that's all he did for Episode 9. He must have really got bored of SMBZ.

That (it's more of a motivation loss), plus he has a shitload of IRL problems.

Edited by Chaos Warp

That (it's more of a motivation loss), plus he has a shitload of IRL problems.

Yet he still has time to do furry art....ahh well.

Don't hate it when things that are actually good never last. At the very least he cleared up the cliffhanger.

Edited by Shadic Claus

Luigi using Tanooki Suit powers to reverse the stone curse.

How arbitrary and... really really friggn' cool.

SMBZ, you will be missed.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just recently watched it and i gotta say this is such a awesome series. Wish Sega and Nintendo made this into a actual game. Some on no more Olympics! Lets have a SMBZ game!

At least some answers got solved, but it just opens up more. god I miss this series already...

Wait a god damned second, why does a "?" appear after The End? That makes me suspisious...

Edited by goku262002
  • Thumbs Up 4

Anyone else finds it a little suspicious that he did this a week from April 1st?

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyone else finds it a little suspicious that he did this a week from April 1st?

Edited by Madame Amano
  • Thumbs Up 1