Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Okay I used to really enjoy this site but halfway through last year I stopped viewing it. I don't know I just didn't like its quanity over quality direction its been taking recently.

I mainly watched for the Nostalgia Critic but ever since that Let's Play and few medicore reviews I got bored of him. Seriously if he keeps doing a weekly reviews I personally think he will run out of material, I bet some of the stuff he reviews now he hasn't seen before and can't really be classed nostalgic (well there was Pokemon that one of his early ones)

Don't care for the Nostalgia Chick her skits are unfunny relies on Nella too much, extremely analytical to point of being tedious (seriously watch her Dune reviews). Marzgurl is a bit better.

Rap Critic is extremely unfunny, unoriginal, he focuses too much on the lyrics than the music, he nitpicks (mainly on lyrics). I personally find him unfunny and not even informative so how the hell he was picked to be on sit is beyond anothet they lack music reviews.

Todd In The Shadows this guy is okay he focus on the music as well as the lyrics he'll never run out of the material as long pop music stays being shitty though I find ironic that he has very pop taste in music but he does have a good knowledge. Probably one of the better reviewers on the site IMO.

Spoony: No just no. I had this hate can't take polite constructive criticism without throwing a huge rant, leeches other reviews with unfunny skits and cameos. Did I mention he's a dick? Seirously I would watch Irate Gamer than Sponny.

The Cinema Snob I actually like his reviews he's funny, witty and how the hell he obtains his "material" is beyond me though I tried watch one of in depth reviews and I fell asleep too analytical/College for me. But I found him okay.

CR, he's okay but I don't know he's nothing to shout about good or bad. His Deviantart acount is interresting.

Film Brain (Aka that smug British guy) Another reviewer I have no appeal in, he reviews crappy B-Movies that we all know are mostlly shit. I personally don't see the appeal he reviews shit that anyone could say was crap add some popular cultures references some memes hey presto your a reviewer must be his accent (which is a shit accent).

PushingUpRoses Apparently she got on because of her ex Paw. All she mostly does Let's Plays which anyone with an game emulator and some screencasting software go do so I don't find why she was needed?

AngryJoe: God this guy sucks he rivals Irate Gamer in unorginiality don't know who is better or worse.

There are tons of other reviewers some I never watched and probably won't because I don't have time.

I used to browse the forums and comment but I got sick of how sycophantic people our on there. Loads of NC wannabe reviewer suckups who their five minutes of fame. That sit has more groupies than a Van Helen tour bus. Also if criticize a critic even constructively chances a butthurt fanboy or suck up will flame you lending to you either be banned or likely the topic closely (if its Spoony then most likely it will be both).

IMO TGWTG is definely became bloated and uninterresting. I guess the whole internet reviewer is becoming stale because anybody can do it, however I think few can do it good and if then they eventually lose their edge.

So does feel the same, different or even knows what I am typing about?happy.png

Edited by BW199148

I go there only for the Nostalgia Critic... I don't care for the other guys. I don't find them really funny.

I haven't watch a NC review for a long time. I think I'm slowly starting to lose interest in him like the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Edited by sonfan1984

I only ever watch Nostalgia Critic and Spoony's Final Fantasy-related stuff personally. And I like to give these things a couple months to build-up, that way if I'm ever bored on a weekend I have something to do lined up.

I'll admit I don't laugh nearly as hard as I used to, but hey. I'm still entertained by it.

I do watch some of the reviews on the website.

I still find the Nostalgia Critic pretty funny and I tune in every week. However, I tend to not like his negative reviews on movies from my childhood. I didn't like his Pokemon: The First Movie review since he admitted never had much exposure to the series, and in this review, it shows. A Troll in Central park is an exception though.

Nostalgia Chick I watch sometimes, but her smug attitude tends to rub me the wrong way at times.

Linkara Is the second most watched reviewer on the website. Pretty much all I can say, I don't mind his story lines he puts in some of his reviews that everyone seems to hate.

Spoony is alright, but sometimes it's hard to tell if he's joking or if he's sincere with his anger. For example his insulting of the fans of Final Fantasy VIII, Nintendo and Deadliest Warrior sounded like he was saying that out of spite rather than joking. At least he says he's joking... It's not unusual for people to make up excuses just to save face.

Those are pretty much the ones I watch the most on that website. I'll watch other reviewers if they're looking at something interesting or something I remember.

Edited by the ORIGINAL recolor
  • Thumbs Up 1

On almost everything I let some time pass so I can watch several episodes at once.

Linkara is the first one one I watched and I still do, I do not know much about everything he reviews but he makes it very enjoyable for me. Perhaps my favorite.

I do enjoy some of the Ask that guy episodes, the one with Sage was my favorite. Most are good.

I really liked Spoony's Final Fantasy stuff, his other things too but not as much. Could care less about how he actually acts.

The Cinema Snob another one I could consider my favorite, perhaps it is because of what he reviews.

Phelous is another favorite just his style and the fact that I have actually watched most of the things he has reviewed unlike with the other people.

Lupa I started watching recently and I have enjoyed it a bit so far.

Oh and the Nostalgia Critic, I still watch him, still enjoy it a bit and still gives me some laughs.

I pretty much follow a lot of reviewers on this site since they do make some good videos that can generate a hanful of laughs from time to time and are really informative on the stuff that they review. I follow NC, Linkara, Lupa, Phelous, Snob, Oan Citizen, JesuOtaku, and sometimes Spoony. I do like NChick, but she seems a bit too analytical and doesn't make much jokes in the process of reviewing. I think it is good site for reviews, and better than sites like the Escapist which I only watch for Yahtzee and Unskippable.

I still very much enjoy quite a few reviewers on the site. I regularly keep up with NC/Bum Reviews/Ask That Guy (Doug always entertains me. The only video of his that I haven't enjoyed to some extent was his Let's Play, and even he admits that that was an idea that came too little too late.), Spoony (Though, I much prefer his riffs to his reviews. Phantasmagoria and Ripper made me laugh my head off. Though, his look at the Ultima games and Final Fantasy X-2 review were pretty enjoyable, too.), Linkara (I especially love his History of Power Rangers series.), Brad Jones (I love this guy. He has an epic voice and his material never ceases to amaze me. Also, his Midnight Showing videos with his friend Jake always keep me entertained.), Nostalgia Chick (Her recent videos always give a very interesting look at certain films or other media.), CR! (Love Familiar Faces and Cheap Damage is always a great way to pass some time.), Obscurus Lupa (I enjoy her energy and love of horror films/series'.), and Todd in the Shadows (His analysis of weird song lyrics never fails to make me laugh.) I also occasionally watch Phelous, Film Brain, and JesuOtaku. (JesuOtaku's Digimon retrospective and anime reviews are informative, fair, and enjoyable, Film Brain is pretty entertaining and I enjoy Phelous' meta humor.) So, yeah, I'm kind of a frequent browser. smile.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Basically, every day of my life follows the pattern of checking webcomics for updates, checking youtube subscriptions for new videos, and then checking what thatguywiththeglasses has to offer.

I love most of the shows on that site. My personal favorites are Todd in the Shadows, The Cinema Snob, and JesuOtaku's Digimon Retrospectives. Nostalgia Critic is still good, but new episodes are rather hit-or-miss these days. Spoony is in a league of his own though, and dwarfs most thatguywiththeglasses contributors in terms of talent and humor.

I only really watch Doug Walker's stuff. Guy's hilarious.

^ This. Nostalgia Critic, Bum Reviews, the anniversary specials, and sometimes Ask That Guy. Other than that, I don't watch anything else on the site.

I only ever watched Nostalgia Critic, but not anymore since he started using yelling/screeching as humor too much. I haven't really looked into many of the others, but they don't seem too good from what I've seen. I watched a few Linkara videos that were fairly entertaining, but he was too gimmicky (your reviews don't need a stupid storyline) and whiny ("I know some of you have been patient, but listen to me whine for 5 minutes about all the emails I got from impatient people") at times.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, Brad is probably the best guy on there. Phelous is funny too but, sometimes he pops out lazy videos. Doug still has his moments too. I still think the Nerd over at Cinemassacre is the best of these internet critic dudes, it's too bad he doesn't have much time for videos.

As for Spoony, he's funny but, he is most certainly a douchebag with an inflated ego. Just don't bother engaging with him and laugh at his hilarious Final Fantasy reviews.

Edited by Crow T. Robot
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Nostalgia Critic is really hit or miss for me lately, but then again I haven't watched his stuff in a while. His jokes are usually a lot better when he doesn't cling on to them. He either makes really great videos or painful ones.

Linkara's pretty great too, and I really love his narration. I think one of his problems is that there's not always a lot to work with with his source material, and his little "skits" can get slightly painful, but he's a really funny and talented guy.

Phelous is actually really funny. I've probably re-watched his reviews more than anyone else. He's just generally really goofy and in it to have fun, and whenever he decides to take a joke and run too far with it like the NC tends to, he makes fun of himself for it.

The Snob is also one of my favorites. I've really got no idea where he finds movies like Bat Pussy, Last Vegas Blood Bath and Ax 'Em, and I always have a hard time believing that what I'm looking at actually exists.

Besides them, I really do like Spoony's videos. Even he knows he can fly off the handle with his criticism, but watching that is part of the fun. He's speaking his mind and doing it for entertainment. And objectively, out of anyone I've listed he's probably the most professional, both in terms of how he conducts the video and the quality of his acting in front of the camera. He's got some really memorable videos and you can tell there's a lot of effort put into them.

Besides that I don't watch anything from TGWTG. In fact, I usually don't even go to that site to watch the videos I do watch. Spoony, the Snob and Phelous all have their own sites, and the videos there are at a larger size than the main TGWTG site.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I agree that the site isn't as good as it once was, it's still one of my favorite websites, and I check it daily. Here's a rundown of who I like the most:

- Doug Walker is awesome, I enjoy most everything he does and none of his characters have yet to grow stale for me. On top of that, his real personality is a breath of fresh air. Most actual critics/reviewers tend to come off as pompous and mean-spirited when discussing things they don't like. But Doug? He lays out his argument for why he likes/dislikes something, and then essentially tells everyone to decide for themselves and says it's fine if you don't agree. Just seeing someone merely open to the possibility of differing opinions is a welcome change from the typical "If you disagree you're a stupid cunt" attitude so many people seem to have.

- Spoony is a very mixed bag for me. Whenever I visit his blog, I get the impression he's a bit of a dick. Scratch that, a major dick. It's one thing to be more cynical than most people, but once you start insulting your audience over disagreements, my respect wanes. However, hearing other TGWTG contributors talk about him, I get the impression he's actually one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and that his extreme cynicism is more of a character trait for his online personality. But if that's the case, he seriously needs to stop. It's never fun to watch a video only to get insulted. Regardless of my issues with the man himself, his comedic videos are freakin' hilarious most of the time. Most of his videos get at least two or three really good laughs out of me. And really, that's all I ask for from a comedian reviewer.

- Linkara is best taken in short bursts. I like his reviews well enough, but they're not the sort of things I always feel like watching on a weekly basis. Part of the problem for me is the asinine and unnecessary storylines he keeps throwing in. It's fun watching him rip apart a bad comic, but I have zero interest in watching him and 30 versions of himself pretend they're on the Starship Enterprise fighting another version of himself wearing a cheap Power Rangers costume. I just don't. By far the worst was the beginning of the Lord Vice storyline where he was replaced by Iron Liz for a few episodes. Now, I don't really have anything against Liz herself, really. But this came out of absolutely nowhere. She was a complete stranger to most of the audience, and she didn't have the same charm as Linkara. Not to mention it was distracting at first because I think most people were still trying to figure her gender back then. I don't mean this as a mean-spirited jab but she is seriously the most genderly-ambiguous person I've ever seen. To summarize, I watch Linkara's reviews but I almost never stay for his storylines.

- I like CR a lot. His videos tend to be more informative than funny, but that suits him just fine. He usually picks some rather...interesting subject matter. (There was a pilot for a Battletoads cartoon? WTF?)

- Angry Joe. You know, I actually didn't like him when he first joined the site. His videos used to feel really unprofessional and obnoxious, like it was just him and a couple of his friends getting drunk and yelling at a camera. But about a year later I gave him another shot, and it turned out he had vastly improved. While I am not the type of gamer to let one critic decide my purchases, Joe tends to make the best arguments for why a game is or is not worth my cash. I can go into one of his videos having never heard of a game, and come out of it with a really great idea of what it's like. It's like having several months-worth of previews presented in a single video, with all of the information well organized and presented.

- JonTron. I almost didn't list him because I keep forgetting he's one of the TGWTG crew. I tend to associate him more with Youtube and Blistered Thumbs. But I have to include him, because he's all kinds of awesome. His videos are just so...random. But the randomness never gets irrelevant to the subject matter. I never know what the hell to expect when watching him, it's impossible for me not to laugh at the absurdity of it.

Those are the guys I tend to watch the most. I enjoy the occassional Phelous (Who I should really watch more often), Cinema Snob, and Bennet the Sage. Once every blue moon I'll click a Nostalgia Chick, Obscurus Lupa, or Film Brain, mainly when they're videos about something I'm highly interested in. MikeJ is a good bit of fun, but it doesn't seem like I watch him very much.

If I don't watch a particular person, then it's mostly due to them specializing in something I don't care about, like anime and music. (I obviously *like* music, but I don't care about it as a subject) The list of people I've watched and genuinely don't like is very small. In fact, Benzaie's videos are the only ones that come to mind. I don't find him funny, I never agree with him, and it doesn't help that even after four years on the site it STILL looks and sounds like he's recording with an old cell phone.

So there we go folks, my essay on TGWTG. Why can't I ever get this invested in my college essays?

Edited by Speederino

I get a kick out of those reviews. Nostalgia Critic, Linkara and Spoony are definitely the pick of the litter. Come to think of it, Spoony is the only reviewer who can get me roaring with laughter on a regular basis. Not just on the site, but anywhere ever. That's worth some points.

I get a little annoyed by how many people can't seem to seperate the actors from the characters they portray (though I'll admit they sometimes overlap), but meh. Their inability to like what I like doesn't detract from my enjoyement one bit.

• Thumbs Up 1

So just me then? I don't hate the site but in my opinion I find its recent lack of quality distrubing. But its probably its fourms and comment sections (mainly the latter) that grind my gears.

Sorry I still think Spoony's a monumental cockblock, his videos still fail to amuse me and he also reminds me of one of those annoying arsehats that tag along with your friends and the only reason you let him is because he has a large PS3 collection or something, you know?

Spoonytidus.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Sorry I still think Spoony's a monumental cockblock, his videos still fail to amuse me and he also reminds me of one of those annoying arsehats that tag along with your friends and the only reason you let him is because he has a large PS3 collection or something, you know?

Actually I don't know. I wouldn't pretend to befriend a person to mooch off of them.

And honestly while I didn't like the skit that picture of Spoony dressed as Tidus is from, it was MEANT to be horrifying and embarassing. I get not liking him but that one picture really doesn't really represent him or even a percent of his videos.

And also Angry Joe is horrible. I can't stand him.

Doug Walker's Nostalgia Critic hasn't been as good as it used to be, but there are still several gems to be found in his later reviews.

Lately though, he's been coupling the Bum Reviews with his own personal review on the movie without any of the Critic or Bum facades. It can be really interesting to see what he has to say from a professional standpoint, and it seems like he genuinely knows his stuff.

His personal review (or rant, rather) about the latest Twilight movie is really well done. It may be the only time we see him legitimately angry about something, rather than him acting like he is.

If you're interested in seeing it, it's in 3 parts. I'll post the first part here, and I assume y'all are intelligent enough to click the video and find the other 2 parts.

If he did a video like this for every movie he did a Nostalgia Critic review on, I think I could be a solid fan.

Edited by Indigo Rush

So just me then? I don't hate the site but in my opinion I find its recent lack of quality distrubing. But its probably its fourms and comment sections (mainly the latter) that grind my gears.

Spoonytidus.jpg

KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Just wait until you see him dressed as YUNA in the final part of his Final Fantasy X-2 review!

- Spoony is a very mixed bag for me. Whenever I visit his blog, I get the impression he's a bit of a dick. Scratch that, a major dick. It's one thing to be more cynical than most people, but once you start insulting your audience over disagreements, my respect wanes. However, hearing other TGWTG contributors talk about him, I get the impression he's actually one of the nicest people you could ever meet, and that his extreme cynicism is more of a character trait for his online personality. But if that's the case, he seriously needs to stop. It's never fun to watch a video only to get insulted. Regardless of my issues with the man himself, his comedic videos are freakin' hilarious most of the time. Most of his videos get at least two or three really good laughs out of me. And really, that's all I ask for from a comedian reviewer.

I've checked out a few of his Vlogs from over the years, and I'm pretty sure it's just kind of his "character" to be a total dick. In his Vlogs he really does seem like a chill guy, in fact he even discussed some health problems he was having around the time of his FF VIII review (such as issues with his heart), apparently all the yelling and stuff was very stressful for him, so I suppose there's a bit of respect to be had that he'd strain himself to make his reviews how he wants them to be made. So long as you watch the guy knowing he isn't really meaning what he's saying when he's insulting the audience, I think he's a pretty entertaining guy.

• Thumbs Up 3