Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Haven't really cared for the critic's recent anyway. He was running out of material. It had to end at some point.

Still, everyone else on the site still puts out good material and I'm glad they aren't overshadowed by the critic anymore.

I'm not as crushed as I thought I would be. Nostalgia Critic has been great, and I'll never forget the constant laughs over the last few years. But it really was starting to get stale. It's probably best to stop now before it gets legitimately bad.

Very curious about Demo Reels. It almost sounds like it could be a sitcom of some kind.

Well If he is giving up his tie, then I got say that I do enjoy some of his work especially his top ten lists, but as for his reviews in my honest opinion I haven't enjoyed a Nostalgia Critic Review in a long time I mean like really laugh out laugh enjoyment. Though if he was going to finish it or put on hiatus I would rather him do now because I think his act has gone rather thin on the jokes.

But that is just me. wink.png

Yeah me too. Haven't really enjoyed his reviews since late 2010/early 2011. Some of his early shit had me crying.

So he's done/on hiatus? Oh well, it was a good run I suppose.

• Thumbs Up 1

Better off ending with dignity than still running stale and lifeless. I watched the Cartoon All-Stars Review for... forgive the pun here... nostalgic purposes.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Critic was running out of steam to me anyway. He'd fallen off my schedule for months now, supplanted by other shows on site and elsewhere, and so it's not entirely surprising this is happening. But I do feel a pang of nostalgic sadness considering he was one of the first Internet reviewers I began watching religiously. I don't feel this was the absolute best note to end on (another review would've been better perhaps, maybe a positive one or something), but it could've been so much worse potentially. I give him my thanks for the entertainment and best wishes to him in the future.

He and Rolfe we're my first consistent reviewers I watched as well before I moved on to others (Jontron). And yeah, I'm glad he ended it because it was getting REALLY stale.

I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors.

Well, that's it for checking the site weekly, I guess. I like JesuOtaku, Cinema Snob, and Linkara, but I never really followed them.

Good night, sweet prince.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've always got the Nostalgia Chick and Todd to fill the role on that specific site. And who knows, maybe Doug's new show will be good. I won't write him off just yet.

Is it wrong that I feel like crying right now? Oh well, these five years have been wonderful critic. So long partner.

Hm, well like others I find it bittersweet. On one hand he was one of the first internet review shows I regularly followed (AVGN was the first) but the past year had really gone down hill. The returning jokes became stale, a lot of the review content was not really "nostalgic" and I didn't enjoy a lot of the crossovers.

Now that I think of it, all the signs that he was ending it were there. He seemed to increase his crossovers, like he tried to do one with every contributor before he ended it.

As of now, I only watch Todd in the Shadows and Bad Movie Beat Down. Probably catch Atop the 4th Wall once every other month, when a comic catches my interest. But Linkara's voice can get annoying.

Anyway, looking forward to his next show. Though I hope it's not in the same vein as That Guy or Bum Reviews. Not a fan of those.

---

As for AVGN (this is a bit off topic) I really love James's stuff. He has a real eye for filmmaking, unlike a lot of Channel Awsome folks, and I'm genuinely interested in every episode. Hell, I even buy his DVDs! Looking forward to the movie. Since I live in the same city as him, I hope to make the premiere. Assuming he holds it in the city.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, there goes any hope that my requests for NC will happen along with all the other threads in the forums despite many repeats for noobs not following the strict rules. I seriously wanted to see a Top 11 Worst Christmas Specials and Worst Song in an Animated Movie along with Twice Upon a Time.

Even though Doug might be done with it, hopefully, someone else will become a successor and fill those nostalgic shoes with a new flare. The only few I could see doing that would be CR!, Phelous, or Snob, well mostly CR since he has been doing a lot of nostalgic stuff as well. Probably Linkara as well if he branches out more from comics to other media, but kinda doubt it. Though anyone new is welcomed.

Still sad to see one of my favorite internet reviewers/personas go and I didn't think most of his new material was that bad either.

Hm, well like others I find it bittersweet. On one hand he was one of the first internet review shows I regularly followed (AVGN was the first) but the past year had really gone down hill. The returning jokes became stale, a lot of the review content was not really "nostalgic" and I didn't enjoy a lot of the crossovers.

Yeah, I agree with the jokes. There were times where it felt like he was trying way too hard to make a new meme, there were old gags that got old fast and whenever he made an episode that fans disliked, he would never let himself live it down... Its fine if you acknowledge your downfalls, but it getting to the point where it's really annoying.

But to be honest, I can't say some of the movies he's reviewed were not nostalgic. Dunno what year you were born, but I'm a Nineties-early 2000s kid, personally so some of the movies he reviewed were kind of nostalgic for me. Unless you mean movies that were so bad and obscure that nobody remembers... Then I could understand why that wouldn't be nostalgic.

Still, like I said, it would have been nice to have had him take more time to plan out his reviews, but oh well. I guess everything's gotta end sometime.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's a shame but to be honest I think Doug has done a mature thing rather continue doing something that he doesn't have the heart in doing no more (At least as a weekly thing) and despite its popularity he chose to end it before it got really bad and jumped the shark or fried the coke (yeah I never found that funny).

If he does do an annual NC special then I am down with that because he will have more time work on it, personally I think he should gone down to once a month or twice a week, rather than have kept on doing it weekly.

"Boomer will live" was probably one of his weakest jokes and weakest reviews as well.

I would like him to still do top tens if not as the Nostalgia Critic then at least as himself, I don't always agree with his choices but I like how down to earth he is no ego or persona, just himself. I always prefer his more positive reviews or ones like his Drug PSA's. His best negative reviews were always films that generally were bad like Double Dragon, Titanic The Animated Musical (best review in my opinion) and the Garbage Pail Kids, you know shit that genuinely shouldn't of seen the light of day.

So yeah the Nostalgia Critic he remembered it so you didn't have to.smile.png

Edited by BW199148

Yeah, I agree with the jokes. There were times where it felt like he was trying way too hard to make a new meme, there were old gags that got old fast and whenever he made an episode that fans disliked, he would never let himself live it down... Its fine if you acknowledge your downfalls, but it getting to the point where it's really annoying.

But to be honest, I can't say some of the movies he's reviewed were not nostalgic. Dunno what year you were born, but I'm a Nineties-early 2000s kid, personally so some of the movies he reviewed were kind of nostalgic for me. Unless you mean movies that were so bad and obscure that nobody remembers... Then I could understand why that wouldn't be nostalgic.

Still, like I said, it would have been nice to have had him take more time to plan out his reviews, but oh well. I guess everything's gotta end sometime.

Oh I totally know that stuff from the early 2000's is nostalgic for people. I meant that Doug himself probably doesn't look at material from that era as nostalgic (he is in his early 30's now, so at that time he was in his early 20's), so there is this disconnect where Doug probably wasn't really feeling the nostalgia whereas the viewers were. His shows weren't usually as strong if he didn't feel that nostalgia. Didn't he have a rule of "no material from before 19XX or 20XX" or something? He must have broken that rule in later shows.

But yeah, his weekly shows will be missed, but I'm glad he's still doing the occasional show. Like, if another movie like Scooby Doo releases, I could see him reviewing it since he'd have that nostalgic connection of the old cartoon to play off of. That's why the Scooby Doo review worked so well. It wasn't a nostalgic film (2002) but the material was very nostalgic and close to Doug's heart.

I can see fans now watching like hawks for anything that would call for a special episode of NC.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm very happy to see Nostalgia Critic coming to an end. The movie was a great sendoff to the character, and now Douge and co. will be able to move onto newer and (hopefully) better things.

As for the timing of this decision, I can't think of any better. The original Nostalgia Critic concept was getting stale. For the past year, even moreso than any year previous, the main draw of an NC episode was seeing how he interacted with other members/characters on the TGWTG site. The actual movie reviews, what people originally came for, got less interesting and less coverage as the various ways of saying "this movie sucks" were used up.

I don't think that NC ever started to go downhill, but it was clear that it couldn't go on for too much longer without approaching that dip. So they decided to end on a high note. And I could not be more pleased. :)

I can't help but think how unnatural all of this feels. Despite never being a massive fan and losing interest in him over the later years, the Critic is pretty much an icon and one that a big majority of modern web reviewers and entertainers owe a lot of their success to.

It's pretty much the end of an era. It's great to see that he ended it all on a high note with his Scooby-Doo review which was one of his much better reviews in recent history (Total Recall was neat too) and his numerous "good byes", but at the same time I just feel that it's just not going to be the same without him around.

I look forward to his newer projects, hopefully this will freshen up his spirits and there'll be new stuff from him to enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's sad to see the NC come to an end but It'll be nice to see what Doug will be doing next. He seems excited about it.

Edited by StarlightStorm

I found this on my Facebook Feed today, so I thought I'd share. tongue.png

I have to admit I didn't know the reaction to retiring the Nostalgia Critic would be quite THIS strong. I thank you guys so much for all your support and dedication. Some good videos are coming your way though and we're gonna try hard to keep the laughs going for ya. Stay Tuned.

Source: https://www.facebook...127127037353766

Well, at least Linkara is still around biggrin.png

And Phelous and Cinema Snob and Obscura Lupa and NChick and ToddintheShadows and Film Brain...

Hey, I think these guys are good too in their own way...

• Thumbs Up 2

Despite being a shame that there will be no more new episodes, the Nostalgia Critic had a good run. I can understand Doug's reasons for not making anymore episodes though since it's better to quit when you feel it's time to move on rather than just making something for the sake of doing so. I'm looking forward to seeing what new material he'll will be working on.

Edited by Kevin

I imagine I'm not the only one who liked JO imitating Ed, I don't think they really nailed the character either in the scrip or in the acting. She went from absent minded hacker to jovial plot device extruder. By the way, the Judge Dredd scene killed the whole thing for me, I didn't bother watching past it and all the effect shots were terrible.