Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

So I'm bumping this topic because of the new Nostalgia Chick, "Top Ten viral videos from before Youtube"

Man, remember when people gave a shit about Foamy the Squirrel and finding an image host that would let you hot link was hard?

Funny thing, Trogdor is still my ringtone, though I would partly blame that on me forgetting how to make ringtones for the iPhone.

Plans for TGWTG's future: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/site-news/general-updates/36672-the-future-of-tgwtg-and-ca

We end the Nostalgia Critic character with To Boldly Flee, which if you follow the site you know has already happened. With the Nostalgia Critic gone Doug now has the time to invest himself in 2 new projects. One is a project he has wanted to do for a long time and the other is a recently developed concept. Doug has already discussed working on Demo Reel, his second show we will announce now.

Show 2 from Doug as of now is an un-named nostalgic based talk show, something we plan to start filming in early November. This show will be something Nostalgia Critic fans will enjoy, and as we get closer to filming we will be announcing, and possibly showing, a bit more.

With Option 2 we also wanted to produce more shows. This will take the burden off of Doug’s shoulders as Channel Awesome’s only direct producer at this point. Everyone not named Doug has their own Blip/Springboard/etc. accounts, accounts that they keep all their earned video advertising money from – Channel Awesome does not take a cent from them. We plan to have 3 additional shows airing weekly by the end of the year. Of the new shows 2 will be game shows, one hosted by Brad Jones and the other hosted by someone we find at the casting call. If everything goes according to plan you will be seeing Demo Reel every two weeks, the talk show every two weeks, both game shows weekly (projected to be twice a week by Q1 of 2013), and the other unannounced show weekly.

A nostalgic based talk show? Who is Doug planning on talking to, I wonder? I'm imagining a bi-weekly version of the Animaniacs special in my head.

While I enjoyed the Nostalgia Critic and I am a little sad that it's ending, I understand their reasoning. It's better to quit while you're ahead instead of dragging yourself into the ground.

Well FINALLY Suede, Linkara and JewWario got around to reviewing Pokemon 2000:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/suede/animenia/36704-animenia-pokemon-the-movie-2000

I gotta say, even though i hate the Pokemon Movies, I was so entertained by their banter, you can tell they have a true love for the Pokemon franchise.

• Thumbs Up 3

Least practical mode of transportation ever. Man these movies were dumb. That bad guy commanded no majesty, he was just a buffoon with more money than sense. Why do the three birds beat eachother up after they're set free? Why do Lugia's wings have hands on the ends?

Man, i love this cross-overs. I hope the next will be done more sooner than this one.

• 2 weeks later...

http://thatguywithth...k/36832-matilda

I don't typically watch Nostalgia Chick, but I *had* to click this one. I actually want to see Mara do more stuff like this, whether they be cameo's or even her own show. She clearly has good boobs brains no wait still boobs brains for the internet reviewer scene.

Edited by Original Character Blonic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like we've got a trailer for Doug's next big series, "Demo Reel"

http://thatguywithth...mo-reel-trailer

Hmmm... Didn't Doug say this was going to be another review show? Because it seems more like sketches making fun of movies rather than a review show. But I digress...

Anyways, not sure what I think of this. There were a few jokes that made me chuckle, but some of them were also kinda overused (For example not understanding Christian Bale's batman... we get it. he's hard to understand.) I'll hold my judgement until I see the first episode.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Lyra of the Undead

Hmmm....

I Don't know to be honest a few things made me chuckle but why do I get the feeling that they are going for a sitcom angle, also I find the acting while not horrible it reminds me of College made movies where the people who just want to film and edit have to act as well and you can really tell its not their area of expertise.sleep.png

So, yeah don't know about this, while I am not going to say TGWTG has sold out, they are definitely aiming for a more commercial angle at least that's what I am seeing.

Edited by BW199148

Hmmm... Didn't Doug say this was going to be another review show? Because it seems more like sketches making fun of movies rather than a review show. But I digress...

No. He said the new show would still have a movie angle but it would not be like the Nostalgia Critic.

Actually I think he also mentioned something of a talk-show as well. I don't think demo reel is his only project.

Edited by Solly

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched the first episode of Demo Reel today.

I have to say, quite disapointing.

Yeah there were a few really funny moments, like I did laugh at the guy who wanted to play two face as the black guy from the original Batman 'I'm a man of few words' and thats all he says. As well as the 'how to do Bane's voice.

But most of it was just... I dunno, it just felt really boring and stretched at times, like the costume trying on scene, yeah ok we get it they're not scary costumes...

Otherwise I just think, whats the point? Movie parodies have been done by comedians for years, French and Saunders are my favourites for them, and they can do them much better and have a huge budget behind the to.

Not to mention... Batman... we've heard most of the jokes before. I'm just watching it thinking 'I wish this was nostalgia critic.'

Maybe it'll be better if they do some older films like jurassic park or something not as recent where jokes are being made all the time about it. But it just felt a bit dull really.

To give an example, at the end where they film the final shot. The guy says 'just finish on Alfred, it's a bigger impact if the audience doesn't see what he see's.' I agreed with that and thought 'yeah the film should have ended like that,'

But the joke buildup... it was such a build, you were expecting this big payoff or something thats going to top all the jokes so far, I thought it would be something like Alfred pulling a really stupid face or something that suggested that there was something gross or hilarious going on. But the dialogue was just... ... bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't bothered to watch to be honest even from the trailer it didn't look good, the acting was, well they just not actors and it seems to have a very sitcom vibe to it that just doesn't appeal to me.sleep.png

Who knows maybe the other shows they are working on might be worth watching.

So I watched the first episode of Demo Reel today.

I have to say, quite disapointing.

Yeah there were a few really funny moments, like I did laugh at the guy who wanted to play two face as the black guy from the original Batman 'I'm a man of few words' and thats all he says. As well as the 'how to do Bane's voice.

But most of it was just... I dunno, it just felt really boring and stretched at times, like the costume trying on scene, yeah ok we get it they're not scary costumes...

Otherwise I just think, whats the point? Movie parodies have been done by comedians for years, French and Saunders are my favourites for them, and they can do them much better and have a huge budget behind the to.

Not to mention... Batman... we've heard most of the jokes before. I'm just watching it thinking 'I wish this was nostalgia critic.'

Maybe it'll be better if they do some older films like jurassic park or something not as recent where jokes are being made all the time about it. But it just felt a bit dull really.

To give an example, at the end where they film the final shot. The guy says 'just finish on Alfred, it's a bigger impact if the audience doesn't see what he see's.' I agreed with that and thought 'yeah the film should have ended like that,'

But the joke buildup... it was such a build, you were expecting this big payoff or something thats going to top all the jokes so far, I thought it would be something like Alfred pulling a really stupid face or something that suggested that there was something gross or hilarious going on. But the dialogue was just... ... bad.

Hm, I really wasn't expecting much from it honestly. The "Christian Bale batman voice" Jokes are so overused to the point where I have to go "I get it, we don't understand batman." It's just too easy and kind of old IMO.

Plus most of the jokes in the trailer were pretty eh, and only gave me a smile a few times. I dunno I might watch it if I'm bored, but I'm not so sure about the sitcom route they're going for.

I really did not enjoy Demo Reel.

It was too long. like To Boldly Flee it was far too long. At most, it should have been 15-20 minutes TOPS. As is, it was an HOUR.

The jokes were stale. C'mon, ripping on The Dark Knight? Most people love the movies, and any jokes that were being made about them are so passe now.

The concept was... really stupid. So this dude's goal is to remake movies? But he's not remaking them, he's inserting stupid self referential jokes into them. Doug's character is very weak. It's just him with a slightly bigger ego.

Overall, just very bland, drawn out, boring and a waste of time. Will not be following the series from here on out. Especially if each episode is nearly an hour long.

• 2 weeks later...

I swear people who comment on that site are more or less sycophants most people want him to continue it even though most people outside of the site have voiced their disappointment. I think some people have even E-Mailed the site to say so. To be fair to Doug at least when he knows something isn't working he recognises not to continue as it is to just save face. smile.png

EDIT: Also I wouldn't surprised Bilp.TV has told them to rethink it due to viewings.wink.png

Edited by BW199148

Funny enough, I was expecting that Doug retooled Demo Reel in light of former NC fans being very critical of the first two episodes (the first official episode moreso, I heard the second one ranged from just as bad to much better in terms of quality), instead of the creators themselves not liking the result of the two episodes after watching them (or at least that's what Doug is saying/implying). Here's hoping the retooled version is much better, and I hope that upcoming nostalgia talk show is excellent, I heard that it was made in mind for NC fans. smile.png

Edited by Zinos

Funny enough, I was expecting that Doug retooled Demo Reel in light of former NC fans being very critical of the first two episodes (the first official episode moreso, I heard the second one ranged from just as bad to much better in terms of quality), instead of the creators themselves not liking the result of the two episodes after watching them (or at least that's what Doug is saying/implying). Here's hoping the retooled version is much better, and I hope that upcoming nostalgia talk show is excellent, I heard that it was made in mind for NC fans. smile.png

Yeah the other shows sound more like something I would check out. To be honest apart from Todd In The Shadows I don't really go on TGWTG any more sadly.sleep.png

What? It's not Reefer Madness. >:/

Damn, made a mistake.

And it's not new at all, it's just an upload of a previously DVD-exclusive review to the main site (someone already uploaded this and the Reefer Madness review to YouTube). :<

• 3 weeks later...

New Demo Reel episode: Lost In Translation (Bromance Version)

http://thatguywithth...romance-version

Still waiting for new info on the upcoming nostalgic talk show. Doug said he was going to reveal (more about it) in November, but nothing. Probably because of the Demo Reel re-tooling.

Edited by Gabe McClane

• 1 month later...