Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Yay!?mellow.png

I guess. To be honest I don't know what to think about this. His other shows must of really tanked for him to make a comeback so soon. Kinda sad really, Demo Reel sucked but I really like the idea of a Siskiel & Ebert style show he and his brother where going to do.smile.png

Even so will be as good as was in his prime or will be last few reviews were he seem so uninspired?

Well, I'm mostly "meh" about this, but leaning toward the positive side because it seems like a lot of people enjoyed his videos. My only encounter with his videos was his AoStH review, but I didn't like that too much and I never really thought about him since. I didn't even recognize him (or any of the other cameos) in the Sonic Fan Film. I hope his health problems have cleared up though.

But yeah, good news I guess :)

Without having seen the latest video, I can only imagine the show's return being bittersweet for him. On one hand maybe people didn't like his other show(s) as much, but it was clear from his latest reviews that the NC was kind of running out of steam and Doug himself seemed to agree with that. I can only imagine that he'd get tired of sticking with just the one thing he's most famous for. But if he's fine with it and viewers enjoy his output, I don't see much of a problem. But I wouldn't be surprised if he considers retirement again sometime in the future.

This was too short of a break for the news to have optimal impact, especially in light of his own admittance that the character had run his course. I'm pleasantly surprised on a nostalgic basis alone, but I hope he can really bring his A-game again.

Truthfully, im kind of saddened he didn't try to push his "Demo Reel" show and stick to his guns about leaving the NC.

• Thumbs Up 2

That video was pretty funny but also very insightful. It's kinda true what he said. He can still do other things while also working on NC vids on the side; it's not like he has to dedicate his entire life to the series. I became a big fan of his NC videos, as well as the Confessions. Before his leave, I think his ideas did become kind of stale and somewhat forced in their jokes and overall presentation which was disappointing. Hopefully this return is really his own choice and not one decided by money or whatever.

His new ground rules appear to be...

1. One NC every 2 weeks.

2. There will be no more cutoff periods. Everything is fair game to review unless it is a super recent release.

3. Timothy Green will be the first review to welcome him back from hiatus.

Lookin' forward to what becomes of this!

Also is it just me or does that Timothy Green movie kind of sound like a similar premise to Grimm's Juniper Tree tale? At least the way he described it at the beginning. *shiver*

• Thumbs Up 2

A show every two weeks is a good move (something he should of done ages go). It depends how recent the film it is if it is older than 10 years fine at a least 5 years old but anything younger than that then isn't Nostalgic and I hope he doesn't gets lazy and just looks up whatever gets a shit score on Rotten Tomatoes like some people on TGWTG do.

Although I am sure Blip TV will whine at him for doing only two weeks. Then again they are getting their bread winner back maybe signing that contract with them wasn't such a good idea.

Anyway I will try and reverse criticism until the new show.

If it sucks then I will be all over him like this guy tasting a bad soup:

anton_ego_1.jpg

(short rant NOT directed at anyone in this thread. It's specifically directed at the commenters on TGWTG's own comment section)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Worst-case scenario I'll find myself watching something only moderately entertaining...for thirty minutes once every two weeks...for free on the internet. See, free entertainment that you're watching of your own free will is one of those things that complaining about only demonstrates how poorly you use your own free time. Unless it's actually offensive or deliberately misleading, what've you got to be upset about?

That you feel the jokes could have been better, or that certain opportunities were missed; by all means say so. That's good critcisim. By chimming in solely to complain, that just raises the question of why not just watch something else?

(short rant NOT directed at anyone in this thread. It's specifically directed at the commenters on TGWTG's own comment section)

I'm cautiously optimistic. Worst-case scenario I'll find myself watching something only moderately entertaining...for thirty minutes once every two weeks...for free on the internet. See, free entertainment that you're watching of your own free will is one of those things that complaining about only demonstrates how poorly you use your own free time. Unless it's actually offensive or deliberately misleading, what've you got to be upset about?

That you feel the jokes could have been better, or that certain opportunities were missed; by all means say so. That's good critcisim. By chimming in solely to complain, that just raises the question of why not just watch something else?

That's funny because I find TGWTG's full of Sycophants were Saint Walker and Team TGWTG can do no wrong and anyone that has legitimate criticism is shouted off the site by rabid fans.

One of main reasons I dislike TGWTG website is its fanbase.

As people have made clear with the Sonic Fan Film which was free to watch. Just because something is free doesn't mean it is immune from criticism though you are right in a way your get what you pay which is nothing but I still think people have the right to criticize their work which is free to watch but they do get paid for their work.

I love most of Doug's peformances as the Nostalgia Critic but the last few years have been patchy at best the ones I found really good were the Nostalgic Commercials or Top Tens. Most of the movies he reviewed were average films that aren't great but aren't Laugh Out Loud awful. I also felt the jokes were becoming really thin or overused. Hopefully his new work will have quality over quantity.

I seldom go on TGWTG these days. I still occasionally watch Todd In The Shadows. If Doug does the next few Nostalgic Critic episodes and I find them well done and I find them amusing then I will return more often. I will just try and avoid the comment section which actually a lot harder to do than it sounds.dry.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good move, even if it makes him look weak. Demo Reel was awful, and once NC ended I only visited the site for Todd in the Shadows which I always enjoy, and Film Brain which I occasionally enjoy (his delivery and voice can get a little grating).

Bi-weekly NC with no cut-off date is what he should have done all along. Spend the off weeks on other projects. Hey, it worked for Angry Video Game Nerd! We get less Nerd reviews now, but we still get them, and James has more time for films and other projects. 

---

The next thing Doug needs to do: REDESIGN THE WEBSITE!

It is so badly laid out, and it is very difficult to search through archives. The colors and styles are just odd. Tan and blood red, looks very template-ish. I say in his off weeks, he works on a TGWTG 2.0

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly feel bad for him. I haven't watched Demo Reel, and it was apparently pretty shit, but he mentioned he had it in mind for a long time. It was clearly special to him and he wanted people to like it. But it turned out to be a flop, and he resumed playing a character he wanted to retire, all because it was popular. 

I wish him the best, I guess, but I think this is all around a really unfortunate situation. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Haven't watched the video yet, but nonetheless I am rather excited Doug is bringing NC is back (even his more "meh" reviews still had me chuckling every now and then), and I do approve of him making it on a bi-weekly basis this time around, which will hopefully give him more time to write fresher material (which I personally thought he originally should had done instead of quitting the show outright; like how the Nerd has a review every one-two months and the rest of his time he works on other projects). Also rather glad to hear that that it was Doug's personal decision to return to the character, rather than doing it for the fans or for (lost) viewership (again, or so he says...).

Still rather sad to hear Demo Reel didn't turn out well, though; from what I'm hearing it's a project Doug really wanted to do but unfortunately wasn't the great follow-up to the NC he (let alone his fans) were hoping for.

Hoping that the NC revival turns out be a excellent return to form, the (former) finale Scooby-Doo was rather good IMO.

EDIT: I also approve of the ban on cut-off dates, so that the Nostalgia Critic can review anything he likes. You can only go so far with a limitcap on certain things. Can't wait to see Doug tear today's Z-movies apart like a dog with a hot T-bone steak.

Edited by Hatsune Miku

That's funny because I find TGWTG's full of Sycophants were Saint Walker and Team TGWTG can do no wrong and anyone that has legitimate criticism is shouted off the site by rabid fans.

One of main reasons I dislike TGWTG website is its fanbase.

As people have made clear with the Sonic Fan Film which was free to watch. Just because something is free doesn't mean it is immune from criticism though you are right in a way your get what you pay which is nothing but I still think people have the right to criticize their work which is free to watch but they do get paid for their work.

I love most of Doug's peformances as the Nostalgia Critic but the last years have been patchy at best the ones I found really good were the Nostalgic Commercials or Top Tens. Most of the movies he reviewed were average films that aren't great but aren't Laugh Out Loud awful. I also felt the jokes were becoming really thin or overused. Hopefully his new work will have quality over quantity.

I seldom go on TGWTG these days. I still occasionally watch Todd In The Shadows. If Doug does the next few Nostalgic Critic episodes and I find them well done and I find them amusing then I will return more often. I will just try and avoid the comment section which actually a lot harder to do than it sounds.dry.png

Strange how two people can look at the same screen of text boxes and see two different things.

Anyway, I think I made it clear that I'm all in favour of criticism; I just think chiming in solely to complain is a pointless waste of time.

Reading through this thread I'm picking up on what seems to be a misconception.  While I by no means claim to know what was going on behind the scenes, the video makes one thing absolutely clear:

Doug genuinely WANTS to bring back the Nostalgia Critic. If there's any truth in this video at all, then he has been coming up with new ideas for the character ever since he stopped, and now he's thinking he might have quit too soon. This is not him just giving into fan demands or doing it because Demo Reel isn't doing so hot, there's a genuine passion for this idea.

I'm completely for this. I didn't think Demo Reel was bad, but if there was one major criticism I had it's that you pretty much had to have seen the movie they were parodying in order to get any of the jokes. It wasn't as accessible for a wide audience. If Doug can truly think of new material for NC, then by all means he should keep going. With a new bi-weekly schedule (which is something he should have started doing a long time ago) and a wider library of movies to choose from, it definitely has a chance to stay fresh.

• Thumbs Up 4

I found the first episode of Demo Reel to be pretty funny, but never saw any others (due to the second one spoofing Wreck-it Ralph, and me not wanting anything to get spoiled). Are they really bad? I mean, Tv Tropes said Cerebus Syndrome hit it, so that can't be good...

Oh well, I'm happy the Critic's back.

I found the first episode of Demo Reel to be pretty funny, but never saw any others (due to the second one spoofing Wreck-it Ralph, and me not wanting anything to get spoiled). Are they really bad?

The Wreck-it Ralph/Angry Birds one was really funny to me, but so was the first episode, so my meter of judgment may be different.

Also, i liked the side characters of Demo Reel, especially the nazi-sailor played by Rob. According to Twitter's posts, all of them will still be used in other TGWTG projecs (and i hope some cameos in NC reviews).

The only thing that disturbed me about that video was the psycho performance of Lewis; of course i know he was faking out, but still.

especially the nazi-sailor played by Rob

Stasi, not Nazi. He's east german and a former member of the soviet secret police. Like the Gestapo but competent.

Edited by Gerku(Snow)man

I watched and really enjoyed the "Review Must Go On." Now, at first I was a little concerned, because the Nostalgia Critic was getting really stale near the end, with the jokes either being drawn out, a current meme, an attempt to make a meme, or just another jab at himself. The very latter can be admirable, but the more he did it, the more it felt more like self-beating rather than self-depreciative humor.

However, after watching the video, it looks like Doug Walker is aware of the flaws that the later episodes had, and with having more time to plan out his reviews (Which was actually what I was hoping he'd do, long ago) this gives me hope that the new reviews will be as good as when I first started watching the Nostalgia Critic.

Heck, I ain't even mad that he's going to review more recent movies. After all, nostalgia is different for everyone, isn't it? As long as they're good, I'm fine with it.

Yeah, I'm very optimistic with the revival, and here's to hoping it meets some, if not most of my expectations.

• Thumbs Up 1

If he's really reviewing recent films, I want to see him tear Norbit and The Last Airbender a new one.

• Thumbs Up 1

If he's really reviewing recent films, I want to see him tear Norbit and The Last Airbender a new one.

How about anything Eddie Murphy has been in that isn't Shrek for the past 10 years?wink.png  

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd argue that Meet Dave meets the criteria more than Norbit does, since it's not only older but also is aimed at a family audience while Norbit clearly wasn't.

How about anything Eddie Murphy has been in that isn't Shrek for the past 10 years?wink.png  

Like that stinking Pluto Nash?

To me, i rise again my hopes for Osmosis Jones.

I thought Osmosis Jones was pretty good. But then again, doesn't mean it has to be bad. It just has to have a lot of material for Doug to work with and that movie definitely does.