Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Most people have said what I was going to... but I will add one more point.

Theres a local theatre in my town which was amazingly popular, would often sell out shows and it was famous around the world... then they moved into a larger venue. After a huge pomp and circumstance they re-opened, and instead of putting on a popular play that they knew would sell... They instead comissioned a new play that had a huge cast and even included someone who appeared on the old BBC show Fame Academy. (she wasn't a good actress).

Anyway. Most nights were a sellout, the press attended, the critics attended, the local population attended, everyone was really excited, Even I went to one nights show...

The play... was one of the worst I had ever seen, it had a terrible story, terrible acting, terrible dance numbers and their big star... was terrible... it was a really bad play.

Since then, the theatre has been in trouble. They've had to change contracts with tons of their directors/writers/actors. Their finances are in ruins and theatre numbers are down... The play, had killed them, people associated it with the theatre and because of this, even I always have second thoughts about going to it because of how bad it was. Despite the fact I've seen two plays since then I really enjoyed and even saw Russell Howard perform there and loved it.

How does this relate to the Nostalgia Critic?

His big come back is Timothy Green... anyone ever heard of this movie? Anyone really expecting much from this?

Thats the problem. If say he was doing a much more well know movie that was bad, even though it would be a safe choice, he would get laughs and people would be more willing to come back.

So yeah. If he can make this comeback show really really funny, then it'll be great for his numbers... but if it ended up on even the same scale as one of his 'average' videos, he will lose audience numbers.

There's a local theatre in my town which was amazingly popular, would often sell out shows and it was famous around the world... then they moved into a larger venue. After a huge pomp and circumstance they re-opened, and instead of putting on a popular play that they knew would sell... They instead comissioned a new play that had a huge cast and even included someone who appeared on the old BBC show Fame Academy

You could argue that, without going into whether or not Demo Reel was any good, this bit is similar to what's already happened. Doug had wanted this to become the next big thing after purchasing that space that they were converting to a studio, and that the gamble didn't pay off. And I'd argue that that's not the worst mistake you could make. I hope that when he looks back at this time he'll be pleased that he at least gave it a go instead of going for the safe option, and it arguably gave him experiences that he could use to make his work better. A bit like what Picard learnt from the episode Tapestry on Star Trek TNG, that his experiences made him what he was.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 5 min in...

It's quite bad. It just feels like 'new nostalgia critic' we've had two random cameos/characters already who previously Doug would have played.

Also... it's so white. It just doesn't feel like nostalgia critic at all, and the cat joke at the beginning was a bit... what?

Edit: At the halfway point.

Yeah this is pretty bad, it's pretty much 'Demo Rheel Presents the Nostalgia Critic' he now even has an intro an advert closing theme. It's bad.

I'm 8 min in and so far:

- Love that the series has opening titles, about time.

- I noticed the whiteness too, my guess is that Doug no longer films in that little corner in his home and now films in the studio

- Demo Reel actors are the weakest elements, its almost like Doug still owed them and he had to shoehorn them in. I prefer Doug playing all the characters

- Review itself is typical NC, which to me is all I really wanted. 

- So far, not the best NC episode, but far from the worst. 

Fun fact: the grandpa in the movie, played by David Morse, is my neighbor.

David_Morse.jpg

My other famous neighbor is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU, lol

• Thumbs Up 5

I dunno, I'm finding the review a typical NC review. Nothing outstanding, but nothing really bad.

• Thumbs Up 5

Finished it. 

Not bad, not great. I don't think "this isn't NC!" but I do recognize the changes. Lose the Demo Reel actors, yellow the wall, and I'm content.

So I saw it, and...

Finished it. 

Not bad, not great. I don't think "this isn't NC!" but I do recognize the changes. Lose the Demo Reel actors, yellow the wall, and I'm content.

Pretty much this. A few of the gags with the Demo Reel actors were actually kinda funny, but I think they could had been done better and almost all of them overstayed their welcome. Otherwise I thought the review was a nice return to form (I'd say it's probably somewhere when the first signs of the quality of his reviews began to wane). Hopefully he can only go up from here.

I actually enjoyed the fuck out of it. The jokes were fresh and funny, there were some clever little skits, and I think using the Demo Reel actors is a good idea. Because, guys...I don't think they're just cameos. Seeing as how they were frequently used all throughout it, I'm willing to bet they're here to stay.

And that's good.

Weren't you guys at all tired of seeing Doug play every single character and have to carry almost every single joke entirely on his own? Nostalgia Critic didn't get temporarily cancelled because he started doing too many cameos, he was out of ideas and thought the show had run its course. Nothing was fresh about it anymore, and what do you expect when just about everything is done by one man? Well, this is a damn good solution to that. More actors means more variety, which is what Nostalgia Critic really needed just a few months ago.

The only thing I didn't like- and I mean the only thing- is that he's started using a theme intro. Maybe I'm a minority, but I really wish internet reviewers would stop using them. But I won't complain too much, it's short and easy to skip over...unlike certain other reviewers (*coughLinkaracough*).

• Thumbs Up 5

"These first five minutes fail to meet my expectations. I MUST WARN THE PEOPLE!!"

Thanks, Hogfather.

My pleasure. Maybe next time when your not desperate to make an unfunny joke you'll realise it was my initial impressions of the show

Now that it's over, I still stand by what I said, it's pretty bad.

It feels like Demo Rheel presents the new Nostalgia critic. The bright studio doesn't really fit who he was, I liked the fact that he was broadcasting from a not very well lit area, it actually made him feel like he was nostalgic.

The Demo Rheel actors continue to do nothing other than show how bad they are. Had this been an older episode, Doug would have played all those parts and he would have been far better at it. The Demo Rheel actors all perform as if they're literally reading from the script. They don't have any character and just literally feel like bodies to pad out the scripted sections. Doug feels more improvised and natural.

The intro, it's dark, it's moody, it's serious... since when was NC ever like that? He was always a bit of a goof even by Dougs own admission.

But also, and this goes back to what I said a while ago, this was the first review from his break and such a fuss and build up was made about it. The outcome? It wasn't that good at all, why the Demo Rheel actors are in this is beyond me, are they contracted to appear in X number of shows or something?

I noticed all those complaints were about the bit cameos the Demo Reel Actors got (really I just found them innoffensive), the apparently unsuitable lighting (such a minor nitpick that I don't even consider it an issue), the intro (meh), and not like.....the actual review of the movie.

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 6

I just finished it. I gotta say it's not that bad, it's certainly better than when he was starting to go downhill. I remember seeing trailers for Timothy Green a year or two back, and I thought while it didn't look like a great movie, it looked harmless enough... So it was interesting to see why it failed and why it was so bad.

Also, I really don't see the hostility towards the folks from Demo Reel. While I thought the fake commercial kinda dragged on, I really didn't find anything wrong with them. In fact, some of the sketches in this review gave me a good laugh. Also,  I've come to accept that most the reviewers and those who work with them are probably not going to be the best of actors. It really doesn't bother me that much and I don't know why it bothers so many other people.

Yeah, it's not the best Nostalgia Critic ever made, but for a returning video, it's not bad. I actually really look forward to what's coming next, which is something I'd never thought I'd say again after the Critic's dark age. At least he wasn't trying too hard to create a new meme this time around.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac
  • Thumbs Up 2

So here are my thoughts:

Drop or Change the Intro, the music doesn't fit at all. Seriously a generic Hair Metal Instrumental? Irate Gamer has a better intro and that is what it reminds me of but worse.

The Demo Reels Skits are hit and miss. I am sorry but they can't act worth of shit reminds of Nostalgia Chicks skits which I wish it didn't.

The Movie in the review. Seriously he chose this for his comeback? While it isn't a good movie its hardly so bad that it is memorable and worth telling other people about how bad it is.

Doug was okay. I found him to be better than the last reviews he did as the NC but its still far from being on top form at least he didn't force all jokes into memes like he did just before he quit. Some jokes made me chuckle the only one made me laugh out loud was the Cowbell Lowrider joke that one worked for me because the scene is awkward and it makes more awkward by criticizing their shit parenting.

In short: Could of been better and I think he should of picked a shittier movie.

Glad I didn't post on TGWTG the sycophants would probably grab their torches and pitchforks and hunt me down.sleep.png  

Edited by BW199148

So here are my thoughts:

Drop or Change the Intro, the music doesn't fit at all. Seriously a generic Hair Metal Instrumental? Irate Gamer has a better intro and that is what it reminds me of but worse.

The Demo Reels Skits are hit and miss. I am sorry but they can't act worth of shit reminds of Nostalgia Chicks skits which I wish it didn't.

The Movie in the review. Seriously he chose this for his comeback? While it isn't a good movie its hardly so bad that it is memorable and worth telling other people about how bad it is.

Doug was okay. I tfound him to bebetter than the last reviews he did as the NC but its still far from being on top form at least he didn't force all jokes into memes like he did just before he quit. Some jokes made me chuckle the only one made me laugh out loud was the Cowbell Lowrider joke that one worked for me because the scene is awkward and it makes more awkward by criticizing their shit parenting.

In short: Could of been better and I think he should of picked a shittier movie.

Glad I didn't post on TGWTG the sycophants would probably grab their torches and pitchforks and hunt me down.sleep.png  

BAAAWWW YER A DOUCHEY MCNITPICK BAAAAWWWW

Nah, I'm not calling you that though, and I know Doug Walker had no intention of making fun of people who have criticisms for his videos, only the... well, douchey ones, really. It really irks me that Douchey's creation led to fanboys accusing people of being like said character. I've seen it happen in the comments before, and the said "Douchey's" comment was actually well thought out.

But again, why does the bad acting bother everyone so much? I'm not expecting professionals here, after all these are reviews not independent films.

Edited by Emperor Robrainiac

Yeah true I am not expecting Professional acting that would be unrealistic. I am just expecting them to act a little less forced. They might get better. Maybe it is because Doug seems a lot more natural in his performance compared to theirs?

I don't know. All I know is I don't like skits were it looks forced and you can tell at times they are trying too hard and looks like they are over acting.sleep.png  

Edited by BW199148

Seriously a generic Hair Metal Instrumental?

It's a rip-off of Queen, how can it be generic?

It's a rip-off of Queen, how can it be generic?

It sound's more like a 80's Hair Metal Style Track to my ears and a really Generic one at that. Doesn't remind me much of Queen apart from the over use of Tremolo which influenced a lot of 80's Hair Metal Bands. smile.png  

Edited by BW199148

But again, why does the bad acting bother everyone so much? I'm not expecting professionals here, after all these are reviews not independent films.

Because when Doug does his thing and gets really into it, it feels like thats how the NC behaves and acts, his reactions feel right and genuine, even though they're not as real people would react, in the context of the show and the character, it feels right.

The Demo Rheel guys are acting and it's obvious that they are. When I watch them I just see stuff that we got taught not to do at uni and even college. They feel more like human props being used that actual characters within the show. As a result they don't have their own character nor do they feel right whenever they come back into the review.

The theme song is pretty generic.

Film Brain's theme, which he just ripped from the Summerslam theme song, at least has a lot of drive to it and gets viewers pumped. Or Atop the Fourth Wall (which I rarely watch anymore) has a catchy original tune. AVGN's theme (not a TGWTG show, but still comparable) is a classic, very catchy and memorable.

The fact that all these shows have a better theme than NC isn't a good thing. Doug needs something better. The graphics and clips are good, but the music... not so much.

In fact, given his Looney Tunes persona and even the fact that he mimics the Looney Tunes title card in older graphics, I'd think a more catchy cartoony nostalgic theme would work far better than the generic rock theme.

For example: 

A whole bunch of them:

Edited by Barry the Nomad

Doesn't remind me much of Queen

It's basically just a reworking of the chorus of 'The Show Must Go on'. They did it for the 'Moulin Rouge!' review and then it got made even more generic by Sad Panda.

Edit: And the depressing thing is that I'm more frustrated that they're not crediting Queen on the credits than the fact the homage itself is crap.

Edited by Gerk Marenghis Darkplace

The theme song is pretty generic.

Film Brain's theme, which he just ripped from the Summerslam theme song, at least has a lot of drive to it and gets viewers pumped. Or Atop the Fourth Wall (which I rarely watch anymore) has a catchy original tune. AVGN's theme (not a TGWTG show, but still comparable) is a classic, very catchy and memorable.

The fact that all these shows have a better theme than NC isn't a good thing. Doug needs something better. The graphics and clips are good, but the music... not so much.

In fact, given his Looney Tunes persona and even the fact that he mimics the Looney Tunes title card in older graphics, I'd think a more catchy cartoony nostalgic theme would work far better than the generic rock theme.

For example: 

A whole bunch of them:

I agree. You would think he would think outside the box. Todd In The Shadows is good example of a unique intro. Instead they give us that really bland one.dry.png

He didn't have before? Why now?

To me his intro was always "Hello I am The Nostalgia Critic and I remember so you don't have to". That is it. That is his intro.

• Thumbs Up 1