Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

I didn't care for the skits either way, but I assume that Doug is on friendly terms with the Demo Reel actors and honestly this might be the best way to put them to use after that show's failure (I haven't seen it myself, mind). Otherwise they would have been out of a "job" due to the collapse of a show that everyone, especially Doug himself, involved put their faith into. Channel Awesome is a close-knit "family" and you get a sense that everyone looks out for each other, so I entirely expected them to show up in NC proper.

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, if nothing else, at least he didn't get Sad Panda to do the theme tune.

*shudder*

My pleasure. Maybe next time when your not desperate to make an unfunny joke you'll realise it was my initial impressions of the show

You've got me there. Five minutes is pretty darn "initial".

Anyway, here's my impressions after watching the whole thing.

1) I truly overwhelmingly loathe Blip.tv.

2) I don't like the intro at all. The pacing of the clips is all over the place, the theme doesn't really fit the show, and I don't like the logo at all.

3) The review itself was pretty good. Definitely a solid Nostlagia Critic episode. Some of the jokes were weak, some of the jokes were great. Some of the skits were "meh", some of the skits were hilarious. I burst out laughing more than once, so that's a pass. I wouldn't call it an awesome comeback, but I would call it a return to form.

4) I've never actually seen Demo Reel. I didn't really care for the concept, so I passed it up. Having said that, I find the Demo Reel cast entirely inoffensive, and got a laugh out of the skits.

5) DVD ad. Eh, fair enough. Still better than Blip.tv's ads. HAAAAATE!

Bottom line: I was entertained, and look forward to the next episode. Hopefully it'll be a movie I've actually heard of this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Problem with NC DVDs is that since he can't actually release his episodes due to copyright issues, he can only release the low-tier stuff like public domain movie reviews, makings-ofs, non-review specials and reviews of his own work (which is a bit much, in my opinion).

The Reloaded DVD doesn't look all that appealing, nor do the TGWTG vols 1-3. Never been a big fan of his That Guy or Chester character. Also, since Doug pretty much does a single camera web-cam-esque setup, his stuff isn't all that dynamic or DVD worthy. At least AVGN releases all of his episodes, and gives different camera angles and focuses on lighting and quality effects. AVGN also adds a bit of cinematic flair with little stories and fights, not to mention video game footage is just a very natural thing to watch on the TV.

Still, nice that Doug releases what he can, it's just a shame that the best of NC will never be released on DVD.

Well, if nothing else, at least he didn't get Sad Panda to do the theme tune.

It's basically just a reworking of the chorus of 'The Show Must Go on'.
They did it for the 'Moulin Rouge!' review and then it got made even
more generic by Sad Panda

Shows how much people pay attention to my posts. *shrug*

As for the episode, it was likeable enough. I've never been a big fan of the critic, but I do watch every episode when it comes out and it's certainly not bad. I even like the random skits with the two Demo Reel actors, though I think they need some more time to get used to the format. Going from playing a particular character to having to play multiple one-scene-only characters takes getting used to.

Shows how much people pay attention to my posts. *shrug*

Wait...WAS this made by Sad Panda? I didn't see him listed anywhere in the credits. If so, that certainly would explain the blandness.

Actually, I was incorrect. It wasn't Sad Panda, it was another of their musical people, 'Skitch'. It's still pretty bland though.

Here's the song from the Moulin Rouge! review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTZiRVAg7E

As you can see, it's modeled after the version of The Show Must Go on from that film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ADh8Fs3YdU(You'll have to click the link, it seems you can only embed 2 videos a post)

And here's a screencap of the credits from the video called 'The Review Must Go On'.

trmgo.png

So yeah, a boring metal version of a parody of a re-envisioning of a Queen song. Edited by Gerk Marenghis Darkplace

• 2 weeks later...

The critic does something a little different and observes why Twilight is so hated by many.

Pretty interesting, and it's a more serious one. Though I can't help but wonder why Doug chose to do this as the Nostalgia Critic, rather than himself.

Because perhaps he can't be as harsh when he is himself. When I see Doug in a video as himself he is much more relaxed and less cynical. The Nostalgia Critic gives Doug the ability to do that. smile.png

You know, it bugs me that so many people treat TGWTG reviews as the be all and end all of reviews, when in fact many of them (Linkara and Doug mostly) don't actually know what they're talking about.

No more so than any other fan of the stuff they review, at any rate.

Oh hell yes. I saw this movie last year in school, and I outright asked my classmates if this film was about Pearl Harbor. Only 1/9th of the entire film actually focused on the battle, and 1/6th focused on actual history pertaining to the event. The rest of the movie was about some love triangle between two friends and a girl that should had at best rendered down to a subplot but instead swallowed the movie whole. :/

Can't wait to see this review.

I just watched the Review of Pearl Harbor. I've never seen Pearl Harbor, but I've heard pretty much everyone hated that movie. I personally think It's always fun to watch a reviewer take apart a bad movie that I've never seen before, so I enjoyed this one.

However, I thought the sketches, while giving me a good chuckle, went on for a little too long, so some may not like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

However, I thought the sketches, while giving me a good chuckle, went on for a little too long, so some may not like that.

Agreed. This one felt like it was half review, half sketch. And the sketch was kind of a one trick horse.

I agree. Doug shouldn't use too many sketches, nor make them too long. Otherwise they're not funny anymore. They don't even make me LOL, just chuckle. =[

But besides that it was a very good review. I'm so happy to see somebody like NC rage about it, because Pearl Harbour is one of the worst war movies (if you can even call it that) I've ever seen. Cliche, inaccurate, cheesy...ugh.

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the sketches dragged on, and while I did chuckle here and there, I couldn't help but think to myself "When is the review going to start again?"

But overall, it was good review. I've heard really bad things about Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor from a ton of people, from critics, to Movie goers, to my history teachers, to even Matt Stone and Trey Parker, who wrote an entire song about how much the film sucked... And I loved it.

I just had to listen to it when I was finished with the review. XD

Anyways, I've only heard nothing but bad stuff about it, so the I thought the Critic's rant in the middle of the review was pretty insightful as to why this movie is so horrible, and I gotta say, I agree with everything he said in that rant. What a load of trash this movie is.

I just watched the Review of Pearl Harbor. I've never seen Pearl Harbor, but I've heard pretty much everyone hated that movie. I personally think It's always fun to watch a reviewer take apart a bad movie that I've never seen before, so I enjoyed this one.

I have to agree, the sketches did drag on and should have been shorter.

Regarding Pearl Harbor, yes, it's a really bad movie.It was deserved to be torn apart in the review.

Anyway, new video from the Nostalgia Critic featuring his take on Romeo and Juliet similar to how did the Twilight one. At first I thought he was going to tear apart the modern one with Leonardo DiCaprio which was really bad.

Edited by Kevin

While I admit I am into some of Bay's work more than others. Pearl Habour is probably his weakest film for me. I saw it as a kid and while I enjoy the scale and special effects of the film. The Love Triangle drags the movie down as it progresses and for me that is what spoils this movie as well as its length. 

The Love Triangle is possible it did and does happen when soldiers go M.I.A. and their lover confides in someone else and start a relationship only for their lover to come back alive and well. But like I said as the film goes it just get annoying and gets in the way of everything else.  

If you want a good Film based on the attack on the Pearl Habour I seriously recommend Tora! Tora! Tora! A lot more historically accurate (though there a few inaccuracies) and portrays both sides of the attack.

If want to watch a "good" (this is totally subjective by the way) Michael Bay film then I recommend you watch Bad Boys, Armageddon or Tranformers and give this one a miss unless its on TV and there absolutely nothing else worth watching apart from this.

Sorry for being a bit off topic but that's just my two cents.smile.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

The Critic takes on Son of the Mask

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38483-nostalgia-critic-son-of-the-mask

I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. At this point I can say that i'm pretty cool with the new format of the show. Easily my favorite 2013 episode.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

The Critic takes on Son of the Mask

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/38483-nostalgia-critic-son-of-the-mask

I have to say that I really enjoyed this one. At this point I can say that i'm pretty cool with the new format of the show. Easily my favorite 2013 episode.

Sonovagun, I was just wondering if the Nostalgia Critic would review this movie just a few minutes ago.

I shamefully admit there were some moments I thought were mildly (and i mean mildly) amusing, but overall, this was just an annoying mess of a film, especially compared to the the original movie with Jim Carrey. (which I happen to love very much.) This should be a fun one to watch. 

I'll post my impressions later when I watch this review 

Edited by MAYHEM!

I'm sad to say I used to like that film.

I always thought NC would tackle it, and by God did he.

When I see Doug in a video as himself he is much more relaxed and less cynical.

I really love that about Doug. He's one of the few internet reviewers who doesn't go overboard with his opinions or act all high and mighty about them. He's much more humble and down to earth then a lot of the other people who will screech and yell about the people who disagree (*cough*Spoony*cough*).

I'm sad to say I used to like that film.

I always thought NC would tackle it, and by God did he.

Seriously? I knew it was shit as soon as I saw the trailer in Cinemas. Seriously as I was watching it I thought if Jim Carrey isn't in this I don't care even the animation in teaser trailer proved to me that this film was bad.

I mean the CGI is so bad it makes the little 2D cartoons they show in the film look awesome.blink.png

Anyway the review is quite good best review a in a long time its a shame I really don't like the new format while I like the better recording quality I miss the reviews where it was mainly Doug no crossovers, no friends only the odd solo skit and just Doug.

The film is so bad you don't need skits the Nostalgia Critic's commentary delivers the humour and punches needed. When reviews these types of movies where that  are so bad or so cheesy that he has more than enough material to work off.

Santa Christ cameo was pretty good but I found it went a bit long like they were padding it out. In fact I feel all skits felt like padding they are just there to make sure the episode pads out for thirty minutes.  

But the Demo Reel guys. It is like "Hey guys I am brining the Nostalgia Critic back but you have to suffer with shit leftover from Demo Reel because Blip wants me to follow a more TV based format".dry.png

In short I thought the very was really good, maybe because it was such a bad movie he more to go off. However I am still not liking the new format.

Edited by BW199148

I would have posted sooner, but I really didn't want double post.

I liked it. the Critic really hit the nail on the head as to why this movie was so godawful, I can't even enjoy it in the same way I enjoyed the Super Mario Bros movie.

The first Mask movie was very fun and charming movie to watch, only improved by Jim Carrey's hilarious and over the top performance. This movie even inspired my character that I named my screen name after.

I admit, I was going to give the movie the benefit of the doubt seeing as how the source material based of the movie focused on different people finding the Mask. Boy, was I in for a crappy surprise.

Buuuut, I'm getting off track here. The review's humor was amusing, If a little dragged out. Though It's great to see Santa Christ again, one of my favorites withinin the library of Dougs characters.

I did laugh out loud at CR's cameo, arguing with the devil's daughter over who the cutest pony was Along with him blaming Satan for MLP:FiM's 3rd season (Which, while disappointing, I wouldn't call a "shitty abomination" per se, but that's whole another topic for a whole other time.) But other than that, the the MLP references did get a little old after a while.

But the review itself really was a great one. God, this movie was just creepy and mean spirited, and the Nostalgia Critic pretty much sums up my thoughts on the movie, very much like his Scooby Doo review. I could only imagine his reaction if the scene with the CG mask sperm... Yeah seriously, there is a scene that shows green mask sperm creating the titular "Son of the Mask." For your sanity,  I'm not posting it here, it scarred me for life. >_<

Overall, probably my favorite so far in the new NC series. The sketches are probably going to take some time getting used to though.

Edited by MAYHEM!

This isn't Nostalgia Critic, but it's something that likely plucks a nerve on a lot of people here.

Link because this place apparently doesn't like videos that aren't Youtube.

The Nostalgia Chick crosses over with someone called Rantasmo (he has a series of videos on this) to discuss which Disney characters may or may not be gay and about the portrayal of gay stereotypes in Disney films in general. 

To be honest, I've never seen the sassy, arguably effeminate villains as gay stereotypes myself. I've always recognised it as a staple of theatrics to make a villain that way to get across how much of a ham they are. 

Also I cannot see Timon and Pumbaa as gay either, despite that hula scene.

If anything, they should have brought up Lilo and Stitch...

Edited by VEDJ-F