Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Adblock plus.

Keep in mind that (for me at least) only the firefox version adblock plus blocks flv adds. I have no qualms doing it when he keeps using the most annoying video host ever conceived of.

I only watch the content from Doug Walker on the site (Nostalgia Critic, Bum Reviews, Ask That Guy, Video Game Confessions), and I still think Doug provides great content. With the Nostalgia Critic; I do think some can be hit or miss at points, one huge miss was the Let's Play video. Also, this is just my personal opinion, I felt the Star Trek Month reviews were a little flat, aside from a few good jokes here and there. But I think he's come back since with the Patch Adams and Ponyo reviews. So yes, the content can fluctuate a bit in terms of quality, but I always find entertainment in them. Bum Reviews I think are still great as ever, and it's a nice touch that Doug also provides an honest review of the film as just himself.

Ask That Guy still has that bit of shock humor, but I do feel most of them fall flat at times. I think it may be time to change up the format a bit, it's showing its age. Video Game Confessions are OK, but new ones don't come out very often, so I can't give a true opinion. One more thing, Doug's "Disneycember" reviews were great, it was cool seeing him review most of Walt Disney Animation Studios' main canon of films (I say that as a big Disney fan). So, in any case, I'm still a regular viewer of Doug's work, and most I still find hilarious.

Edited by Spyne

Man! Why didn't I see this topic sooner?

My opinions:

Nostalgia Critic - Main reason I visit the site. I'll admit, he hasn't been as good as when he started. My main problems with his newest stuff: too many crossovers and too many gimmick shows (old vs. new, musicals, "live" shows). A part of this I blame on him having a lack of material. After 200 episodes it's obvious that he has covered a majority of the nostalgic stuff.

Having said all that, I still enjoy his show. It's clear he puts a LOT of effort in each week and he has had more hits than misses over the past year. I appreciate that his show is weekly, so if one week is not so good, there's always the next week. Patch Adams was the best episode I've seen of his in a while. I think if Doug sticks to bad 80's/90's movies he's at his best.

All of Doug's other characters (That Guy, Bum) - Either too bland or too crazy. I could never get into them. They're a bit too one note. However, when Doug is himself he's great. Disneycember was a lot of fun.

Linkara - Good, but in small doses. He's a smart guy, and has a lot of great stuff to say, but his voice is rather annoying. Also, as others have mentioned, his skits are pretty awful. Thankfully, he usually tacks the skits onto the beginning and ends of the reviews, so you can easily skip them. Just look for the opening titles and the review almost always follows.

Also, I know another member here touched on it and I don't want to be an asshole either, but Iron Liz... I cannot watch her. Early on, I was just confused as to what her whole deal was. Was she a friend who Linkara was doing a favor for by letting her review? Was she his girlfriend? The androgynous stuff didn't really come into play with me, it was mostly her poor screen presence. She just isn't good at doing what Linkara does, which in turn isn't as good as what Doug does. I guess that's one of the perks of dating a guy with an internet review show.

Angry Joe, Spoony - I can't stand either one. Their "I'M ANGRY" shtick is tired and I just can't get into their videos. At least with AVGN you KNOW it's a wacky over the top character, but with Joe and Spoony I actually buy that they are angry assholes and it does not entertain me. Joe, specifically, lost me with his Sonic Free Riders review. I found the game to be fun, and even more importantly: it worked. I have no clue how he had his Kinect set up, or how he played it, but he was doing it wrong.

Todd in the Shadows - Next to Doug, my favorite guy on the site. Unlike 99% of the other reviewers, Todd has a unique setup that doesn't scream "I'm copying what Doug does". His videos are often short and to the point, he has valid criticisms and there is the right mix of character and real emotion. I like his stuff and hope he continues to rip shitty pop songs a new one. Just cut back on the skits and crossovers. They aren't needed.

Film Brain - The love him or hate him reviewer. I'll admit... I like Bad Movie Beat Down a LOT. I get that it is unnecessary to review a bad movie, as it has already been deemed "bad" so why continue to critique it. But I like how he picks apart a bad movie and shows WHY it's bad. The forced memes are lame, but at least he rarely (if ever) does skits and his crossovers are kept to a minimum. His accent can get annoying if you watch a few videos in a row, but at once a week I'm cool with it.

Every other reviewer - I can't be bothered to watch EVERY reviewer. There is not enough time in the day. However, I have watched one episode from everybody and my consensus is that there is a LOT of fat that could be trimmed. Too many of the reviewers just copy the more popular reviewers of the site (namely the ones I mentioned above). Video/sound quality is usually awful, jokes are lame, delivery is mediocre and they come off more as NC fans than actual shows in their own right. Also, I find that the shittier the reviewer, the more crossovers they do. Probably to hide the fact that their show is bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

TGWTG is still a pretty good reviewer site. However, the only reviewer I don't watch on there anymore is CR. Seems like all he ever does is doing stuff related to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. And really, it's getting stale fast.

As for others like the Nostalgia Critic, Nostalgia Chick, SpoonyOne, MarzGurl, Phelous, and the Cinema Snob, they're still entertaining. Out of all the reviewers I've mentioned, I like both the Nostalgia Critic and SpoonyOne the best because they always give me a good laugh.

And NC's Ponyo review is probably one of the best reviews he's done. XD

too many crossovers
Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 3

I watched some of NC's Patch Adams review it was meh, the film isn't really Nostalgic yeah its a 90's film but its not something I would call Nostalgic. I find if he reviews a meh film you get a meh review. I do feel he has is running out of material.sleep.png

I agree with Barry the Cross-overs are overdone these days, I used like the odd crossover when they first started doing them, e.g. the Chick and Critic review of Ferngully. I wouldn't mind especially if they were implemented better.

I personally don't get the appeal of Spoony but thats me.

Well, you can't expect the guy to do the same thing every week for four years. It'd get really stale. If anything, I think those so-called "gimmick" shows add some much needed variety

Actually he does do the samething every week thats I think he should cut it back to two a month rather than weekly I prefer quality over quanity instead of trying shitty gimmicks like that God awful Let's Play because he has ran out of stuff to work with.

Edited by BW199148

Old VS New is definitely one of the Critic's best series since he actually reviews the bloody things. While I like a fair bit of the output of TGWTG, their definiton of the word 'review' is more like 'comedic recap'. Hence while I go on the website every couple of days to watch Atop the Fourth Wall, NCritic, NChick and Todd's Pop Reviews, it doesn't engage me like it used to.

The best reviewer on the internet is clearly SFDebris

Old VS New is definitely one of the Critic's best series since he actually reviews the bloody things. While I like a fair bit of the output of TGWTG, their definiton of the word 'review' is more like 'comedic recap'.

Glad somebody touched on this. I really do like TGWTG, even if chaosconrol's breakdown of my post makes it look like I don't. wink.png But I agree that a lot of viewers mistake the site's output for "reviews" which in turn muddies up their concept of what a review is. Some of TGWTG's output are legit reviews, but a lot of it is comedic recap. Nothing wrong with that, but again it's not a review. I never watch any of the videos on the site to decide if I should read Mr. T Comics #1 or if Garbage Pail Kids is worth a rental. More often than not, the video recap replaces actually watching the original thing.

Regarding crossovers, I get WHY Doug does them, but the problem is that not all of the video makers are as skilled at the format. So I'll be watching, say, a Todd in the Shadows and then Rap Critic stumbles in and brings his poor delivery and video quality with him. I think some of the members of the site need to work on their own material before they start interacting with other videos.

Edited by Barry the Nomad
  • Thumbs Up 1

I watched some of NC's Patch Adams review it was meh, the film isn't really Nostalgic yeah its a 90's film but its not something I would call Nostalgic. I find if he reviews a meh film you get a meh review. I do feel he has is running out of material.sleep.png

Aaaaaaaaaaand, this complaint sounds like a bunch of "I do not personally consider this film to be nostalgic, so it's clear that the well is running dry." I'm really not understanding the logic here. There are a LOT of 80's/90's TV shows and films out there, he just hasn't gotten to them yet.

Actually he does do the samething every week thats I think he should cut it back to two a month rather than weekly I prefer quality over quanity instead of trying shitty gimmicks like that God awful Let's Play because he has ran out of stuff to work with.

Last I checked, there was a difference between negative movie reviews, opinionated lists, film comparisons, old commercial riffs, and cartoon episode overviews. If he was "doing the same thing every week," he'd only be doing movie reviews in the same location for eternity with absolutely no variation. It's hardly a gimmick to change things up for variety. (Heck, the Top 11 lists have existed since the guy was on Youtube, and by your logic, it's ALSO a gimmick!) Also, that Let's Play was an idea that Doug's had for a while (Since he started, actually!) that came too little, too late because he wanted a quick video to get out to meet his weekly deadline after quite a busy month. It wasn't because of a lack of material or a need to be "gimmicky."

Glad somebody touched on this. I really do like TGWTG, even if chaosconrol's breakdown of my post makes it look like I don't. wink.png

Sorry, bro. I was getting a bit Douchey McNitpickish. tongue.png

Edited by chaoscontrol14

Aaaaaaaaaaand, this complaint sounds like a bunch of "I do not personally consider this film to be nostalgic, so it's clear that the well is running dry." I'm really not understanding the logic here. There are a LOT of 80's/90's TV shows and films out there, he just hasn't gotten to them yet.

Last I checked, there was a difference between negative movie reviews, opinionated lists, film comparisons, old commercial riffs, and cartoon episode overviews. If he was "doing the same thing every week," he'd only be doing movie reviews in the same location for eternity with absolutely no variation. It's hardly a gimmick to change things up for variety. (Heck, the Top 11 lists have existed since the guy was on Youtube, and by your logic, it's ALSO a gimmick!) Also, that Let's Play was an idea that Doug's had for a while (Since he started, actually!) that came too little, too late because he wanted a quick video to get out to meet his weekly deadline after quite a busy month. It wasn't because of a lack of material or a need to be "gimmicky."

Edited by BW199148

Oh, I don't. Sorry if I came off that way. I just don't quite understand the whole "running out of material" and "gimmick" thing, but whatever. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

To change the subject to something a bit more positive, are there any NC reviews that any of you would like to see this year? Personally, I'm itching for more Commercial Specials. (I can't get enough of those. There are just SO many juicy ones to choose from! happy.png)

Edited by chaoscontrol14
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I don't. Sorry if I came off that way. I just don't quite understand the whole "running out of material" and "gimmick" thing, but whatever. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

To change the subject to something a bit more positive, are there any NC reviews that any of you would like to see this year? Personally, I'm itching for more Commercial Specials. (I can't get enough of those. There are just SO many juicy ones to choose from! happy.png)

• Thumbs Up 1

The latest Linkara episode has a sub-plot about Andrew Dickman taking over all of the title card duties on TGWTG.com and how he must be stopped.

Fuck that shit, his latest deviation had Vector and Espio looking cute and awesome, I for one welcome our new Dickman of an overlord.

• Thumbs Up 1

The latest Linkara episode has a sub-plot about Andrew Dickman taking over all of the title card duties on TGWTG.com and how he must be stopped.

Fuck that shit, his latest deviation had Vector and Espio looking cute and awesome, I for one welcome our new Dickman of an overlord.

Yeah, that's Linkara's Previously On running gag. Its content is entirely non sequitor that will never be referenced again, which I approve of.

Still, his previous Previously On previously on his show previousl were funnier, I admit. Still, not bad.

Come on, how is Patch Adams Nostalgic?

Anything that came out over a decade ago is nostalgic for someone. I haven't even seen over half the movies he's reviewed, but I don't doubt for a second they don't a special place in at least one person's memories.

Edited by SuperStingray

Saw the newest Nostalgia Critic.

Eh... could have been better. It mostly consisted of the Critic complaining and pointing out how unfunny the movie was, which got really old after a while. It did give me a few good chuckles here and there.

The Dunston Checks In review was also really short compared to his previous episodes, in addition to not having much jokes. Personally I think the reason for this was that the movie was so bland, unfunny, and forgettable (the film's also quite short, only has a running time of 88 minutes) that Doug didn't get much comedic material to work with or stretch the review's running time without it feeling forced/overanalyzed. But that's probably just me.

My favorite part was the "Dawn of Time" scene with the monkeys debating over what jokes should they use in the film. XD

Edited by Zinos
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for the double post.

There's more Disneycember goodness that's been uploaded today! I know it's more like Disneymarch, but hey, if you want to see what he thinks of Dinosaur, A Goofy Movie and Who Framed Roger Rabbit...well, it's there.

http://thatguywithth...-magic-railroad

NC reviews Thomas and the Magic Railroad Movie.

(Twilight) SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE!!!!

Fuck YEAH SPARKLE SPARKLE SPARKLE!

I don't understand why this review has a lower rating then most of his others. I was consistently laughing throughout.