Awoo.

That Guy With The Glasses.Com

Stacy

Did anyone see the Nostalgia Critic's top 11 best simpsons episodes?

IMO, these were some pretty good episodes he picked out, especially number 1, "Bart gets an F." I could really relate to Bart in that episode, as I too had problems with concentrating in school and often suffered from it as a result.

But seriously, is anyone sick of the Nostalgia Critic frequently joking about how bad the Let's Play was recently? We get it, it was bad, you're sorry, stop constantly apologizing for it! dry.png

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nostalgia Critic is one of my all time favorite reviewers

I liked his AoSTH review especially that one made me smile

I just wish he'd stop yelling randomly all the time, guess that's just him though

I personally prefer Doug when he is doing top 10/11 list, old commericals, stuff that he finds genuinely Nostalgic positive or negative, he is called the Nostalgia Critic after all.

His humour is very hit and miss, that whole "Will Boomer live?"gag I personally thought was shit and unfunny the first time. So why did he do about 4 times!? dry.png

I find the Nerd, Todd, Cinema Snobs humour a lot less forced than Doug is most of the time.

His Drug PSA video has to be one of the funniest reviews he has ever done in my opinion.

Also Doug yes you suck at Let's Playing and video game reviewing get over it. Jesus, talk about Unwarranted Self Importance.sleep.png

It seems that every time Doug does something that angers or disappoints his fans, he never seems to let himself live it down. I personally would joke about it at least once and then move on, but whenever this happens to Doug, he feels that he needs to remind everyone how terrible he is at whatever he did.

And after a while it gets old. It's nice that he acknowledges that he's not perfect, but does he really have to shove it down our throat? I love ya Doug, but I get so tired of those jokes. dry.png

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a running gag; I'm pretty sure he's over it, but it makes sense to reference one of your biggest flubs in a humorous manner if you happen to set off the community for anything else afterwards, kind of like the Mako thing awhile back. I don't see the joke as a big deal.

Just watched his top 11 Simpsons episodes list. I felt that every single one of those episodes were deserving of their spot.

His number 1 choice, Bart get's and F, was always by far my favorite episode as a kid. Just like Mr Critic himself and so many other people, i could relate to it so very very strongly... I still tear up a little every time i see that scene.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a running gag; I'm pretty sure he's over it, but it makes sense to reference one of your biggest flubs in a humorous manner if you happen to set off the community for anything else afterwards, kind of like the Mako thing awhile back. I don't see the joke as a big deal.

Edited by Wayward Vagabond
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just watched his top 11 Simpsons episodes list. I felt that every single one of those episodes were deserving of their spot.

His number 1 choice, Bart get's and F, was always by far my favorite episode as a kid. Just like Mr Critic himself and so many other people, i could relate to it so very very strongly... I still tear up a little every time i see that scene.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy shit guys. Holy fucking shit. This news is technically a week old but it hasn't been discussed here and I *just* found out:

Spoony has left Channel Awesome.

I knew he had been suspended due to a couple of really obscene Twitter posts, but this news hits me an entirely different way. Love him or hate him, that guy has always been one of the definitive members of the TGWTG crew for me. I used to label him, Doug, and Linkara as "the big three" that were the biggest reasons to visit the site. His Dr. Insano character has become one of the biggest running jokes in the site's history, appearing in countless cameos and crossovers. Seeing him leave the site is, to me, like seeing the lead guitarist for your favorite band leave after years of great music.

And I have to say...I'm really not digging the site as much recently. I'll always love NC and Linkara (Even if the latter isn't someone I can watch for hours on end) and there are a good handful of other reviewers I enjoy. But I remember when Channel Awesome had more of a "quality over quantity" business model. You may have only gotten three new videos a day, but you knew they were going to be awesome. Sure there'd be the occasional reviewer I didn't care for, but it was usually due to a lack of interest in the subject rather than the quality of the video being bad. Now there's a few dozen reviewers who feel more or less the same and are completely outshone by some of the more experienced contributors.

Edited by Speederino
  • Thumbs Up 3

Holy shit guys. Holy fucking shit. This news is technically a week old but it hasn't been discussed here and I *just* found out:

Spoony has left Channel Awesome.

Oh wow... I really was not expecting that. I, like many others, saw him as one of the bigger critics on TGWTG. I know a lot of people didn't like him on this board, but I personally enjoyed his works. It's gonna be really odd to see him absent once the 5th anniversery special comes around.

Agree you, I still don't know why he makes a big deal out of his choice for number one expecting so much flak, I thought it was really good episode probably one of the best they have ever done. I don't know why anyone would argue with him on that one, its was a good pick.smile.png

Probably because people believe that the show didn't really hit its stride until Season 3. I know people already disregard the first season (I personally think it's got some damn good episodes in, as well as some brilliant facial expressions), and they think the second season isn't anything too special, so probably why he felt he'd get grief.

I've not seen the video yet, but will check it out. Basically, if his top 11 keeps to the first eight seasons, I can be pleased with that.

Also, in terms of people on the site? Paw kind of won me over with his King's Quest retrospectives (seeing as that is my all-time favourite series of games), but other than occasionally checking out the Nostalgia Critic, I don't really care for anyone else there.

Edited by Katzii

Even though I didn't watch Spoony, I'll miss Dr. Insano. Spoony also made a hilarious Turl.

Spoony used to be okay in my book, mainly older Spoony.

Spoonybeforeandafter.png

If you read up on him he is a bit of a dick to be honest and I am not surprised that this has happened either.
dry.png

I was a big fan of Spoony, but him getting cut was for the best. The dudes been a massive sarcastic asshole to his (former) associates at TGWTG and to his fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Spoony acted like a complete asshole. No excusing his actions. He made a rape joke, apologized after being pressured, but after being hounded by people over it he went insane and recanted his apology because he thought it wasn't a big deal. He really doesn't have a healthy relationship with his own community. His actions were completely inexcusable.

A couple of days ago he announced he had Bipolar II disorder, which explains a lot. Still doesn't give him the right to act the way he did, but I kinda saw some diagnosis coming. He's incredibly bad at handling conflicts with other people, and has such wild mood swings that I suspected he had SOME kind of personality disorder.

And not to shift blame away from him, but people have been treating him like garbage. Even LordKat said this in one of his streams.

"I hope Noah goes into Miles room, unlocks the gun, puts the barrel in his mouth, pulls the trigger and blows his brains across the fucking wall and the next day the local paper reads 'Failed actor kills himself"

THAT is fucking disgusting. Not is he only teling another human to kill himself, but he's making it increidlby personal, inventing an imaginary scenario that involves his brother.

Both LordKat and Spoony have apologized for their actions. Spoony has basically admitted fault for everything he's done and is interested in making peace. As a fan of both him and some of the people he had a falling-out with, this has been pretty depressing to watch.

Not that bummed about him not being on TGWTG anymore, though. He's got his own site and will continue making videos(albeit, very SLOWLY).

Edited by Solly

Yeah, Spoony acted like a complete asshole. No excusing his actions. He made a rape joke, apologized after being pressured, but after being hounded by people over it he went insane and recanted his apology because he thought it wasn't a big deal. He really doesn't have a healthy relationship with his own community. His actions were completely inexcusable.

A couple of days ago he announced he had Bipolar II disorder, which explains a lot. Still doesn't give him the right to act the way he did, but I kinda saw some diagnosis coming. He's incredibly bad at handling conflicts with other people, and has such wild mood swings that I suspected he had SOME kind of personality disorder.

And not to shift blame away from him, but people have been treating him like garbage. Even LordKat said this in one of his streams.

THAT is fucking disgusting. Not is he only teling another human to kill himself, but he's making it increidlby personal, inventing an imaginary scenario that involves his brother.

Both LordKat and Spoony have apologized for their actions. Spoony has basically admitted fault for everything he's done and is interested in making peace. As a fan of both him and some of the people he had a falling-out with, this has been pretty depressing to watch.

Not that bummed about him not being on TGWTG anymore, though. He's got his own site and will continue making videos(albeit, very SLOWLY).

Yeah LordKat went way too far with that statement. I listened to some of that podcast and while some of things he said summed some things about Spoony pretty well, LordKat was really just stirring shit up with that podcast.

Who knows maybe Spoony being off TGWTG might be a good thing he might post some good content instead of posting tons of boring crap Vlogs and pointless whoring cameos.

I have my doubts though. sleep.png

Spoony used to be okay in my book, mainly older Spoony.

Spoonybeforeandafter.png

If you read up on him he is a bit of a dick to be honest and I am not surprised that this has happened either.
dry.png

Woah, that's a complete 180 from what you said in the OP blink.png

Spoony: No just no. I had this hate can't take polite constructive criticism without throwing a huge rant, leeches other reviews with unfunny skits and cameos. Did I mention he's a dick? Seirously I would watch Irate Gamer than Sponny.

Wow; who knew the guy who played Turl would turn out to be such a dick? Mind you I never watched a Spoony review, much less look at that site's comments, so considered me surprised at this revelation.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, I guess I shouldn't be so suprised over Spoony's departure... He did come across as douchy in some of his reviews. I remember him calling Final Fantasy VIII fans idiots for liking the game and in another review, told the fans of the show "Deadliest Warrior" to get a life... Not cool. It was hard to tell if he was just in character or if that were his true thoughts.

Other than that, I did enjoy his reviews, plus I am going to miss Dr. Insano.

Woah, that's a complete 180 from what you said in the OP blink.png

Not really.

My criticism of him still stands (See my post after that) I still think he sucks compared to other reviewers and was largely commenting on his current output.

Seeing some people recommend me to watch some of earlier material saying it was way better than his recent work so I did and it was okay, nothing more.

I still prefer Irate Gamer over Spoony, now that is saying a lot.

So it was more like a 10 degree turn from what I said and after Spoonygate I am temped to take 10 degrees back.dry.png

I still don't know why some people rave about him, he's not that good and like I said, the guy was a dick before this happened.

Doug finally caved in and reviewed the Digimon movie, together with local Digimon fangirl JesuOtaku:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/thatguywiththeglasses/nostalgia-critic/35807-digimon-the-movie-with-jesuotaku

I actually really liked the first Digimon series, but i haven't watched any other movies or series. This movie though looks so terrible... Thoughts?

Man forget him, I fucking loved the movie, not saying he doesn't bring up good points, but I just can't hate it.

Oh, and I really hate JesuOtaku for some reason.

The movie sucks hard. Only made worse by Saban's dub putting 3 movies together making for some awful pacing and cramming in a soundtrack that does not match the feel of whats going on at all. The dialouge is just as bad with all the puns at the wrong moments. I'm not that keen on the animation either. The way everything moves looks good but the character modles looked ugly as hell. Also, why Angela Anaconda?!?! Because that was good right???? Ugh!

The review itself was pretty enjoyable and reminded me why I don't like the movie. It was a teamup i've wanted to see for a while.

The show on the other hand I liked as a kid. Only season 1 however as I didn't care for the series after that. The dialouge made my ears bleed at times but in others it did make me laugh. I've moved on from the series years ago but i'll never forget how Digimon season 1 was an enjoyable show during my kid years.

Edited by BlueTidalGamer

I saw, like, the first three episodes of Digimon. It was an alright show, but my loyalty and interest was still with Pokemon. I still recognized all the human characters though. Anyway, MAN that movie looked awful- not even awful, incoherent. You can't just mesh three plots together and hope something understandable comes out. But I was on the FLOOR after "OMG that is the saddest thing I ever heard- CHEER UP- OKAY!" or however that scene went.

Edited by SuperStingray

I loved the review, although it reminded me why I'm not a fan of the Saban dub. Too many puns and jokes inserted in what would've been otherwise silent moments. Didn't help that they tried to splice Wallace in where he didn't belong, and the random pop music was pretty bizarre in hindsight. As a kid, I watched this move religiously, however, so I can see the nostalgic charm. I just don't care for it these days.

For those who've only seen it dubbed, I highly recommend checking out the original versions of Our War Game and the first movie just for comparison's sake. Hurricane Touchdown (third movie)... you aren't missing much if you skip it. A lot of it amounts to really, really slow moments where the characters are just walking around rather than plot advancement. The first movie is actually really quiet without Hikari's narration over it, and I think it was carried by music more than dialogue.

(I also highly recommend watching Digimon Tamers, buuut... I know some people don't care for it.)

EDIT:

I saw, like, the first three episodes of Digimon. It was an alright show, but my loyalty and interest was still with Pokemon. I still recognized all the human characters though. Anyway, MAN that movie looked awful- not even awful, incoherent. You can't just mesh three plots together and hope something understandable comes out. But I was on the FLOOR after "OMG that is the saddest thing I ever heard- CHEER UP- OKAY!" or however that scene went.

I always found Digimon vs Pokémon comparisons amusing because the two shows are actually really different. One is character and plot driven, the other is more episodic and lighthearted. Heck, Tamers gets downright dark and depressing. Must be the 'mon thing and the similar genres. XD

Edited by Mega