Awoo.

So. Abuse of Status Updates?

Tornado

k well I'm glad we're still coming to a consensus on a decision that's already been made (:

• Thumbs Up 4

The status updates tab was cool when it was added, but people quickly ruined it

I can easily name 6 members who do nothing up exploit the crap out of it with youtube & picture links that lead you to things with zero relevance to anything and nonsensical gibberish which is guaranteed to receive a "what?" from someone

Thank god we can close the tab :D

I guess that's what happens when no chat room is available *shrugs*

youtube & picture links that lead you to things with zero relevance to anything and nonsensical gibberish

• Thumbs Up 5

uhhhhhhhhhh but what exactly is wrong with that? Don't click them or like, let people post whatever they feel like sharing. Can't see how that makes status updates "ruined"

They can post whatever they want, I just wish they'd tone it down and not post something new every 4 minutes. . how is a Youtube link a status update anyway?

A Skype chat room? Good idea, why aren't they using it?

how is a Youtube link a status update anyway?

Because they can post whatever they want, and the Status updates don't need to be used like they were Twitter or whatever?

• Thumbs Up 6

That's fine, like I said, I'm really thankful we can close it.

For future consideration, maybe the term "status updates" can be retired in favor of "what's on your mind" or "here's something useless"

Also if you really don't like the status update system at all you can hide them from the front page by clicking the x in the top right corner

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

Considering the Status Updates tend to work as a rallying cry for people to flood threads that are obviously going to be locked whenever they pop up, I'd say it is appropriate.

• Thumbs Up 3

The part of this that annoys me most is that people somehow feel the need to go into these topics and mini-mod, post things that amount to "inb4 lock" and otherwise just feed the trolls. And heck, even if they aren't trolls and simply don't understand how things work, people just need to shut up. It accomplishes nothing. But no matter what, you can always guarantee that some people (it's always the same bunch) go ahead with it. Is it really hard not to be an idiot?

• Thumbs Up 6

I think part of the issue is the behavior issue alluded to above that was originally mentioned by Nepenthe, but I think it is also that people on this board seem to fancy themselves moderators (and it's not only long-term members, but it does seem to skew that way). People report a thread (or, let's be honest, they probably just complain about it in the Status Updates. Even I don't report around here nearly as much as I do on my other forum); and they either decide that that's enough of a reason that they can go in and show the teach the member a "lesson" about what is and isn't allowed here, or they get tired of waiting for the mods to clean it up and they act themselves. Which, because they announced it in the status, a bunch more people decide to be similarly "helpful."

Now, don't get me wrong. When someone makes a dozen spam threads about some stupid shit with their newly-created spam account or decides to rage quit in a spectacular flameout, I personally don't see the issue with joking about that in the status updates (though others may disagree). But I didn't see any malice intended in the original thread today; and Carbo has already taken the member to task about it the first time so it was obvious that the response thread was going to be deleted. Even if it didn't take more effort to clean out such a thread if you piled on it, why waste your time posting in a thread like that?

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 6

It wasn't so much today's thread alone so much as it's something I'm seeing increasing amounts of. It was mostly mild today, don't get me wrong, but sometimes the sarcasm just becomes unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, it's almost baffling how dickish some of us get with our status updates sometimes...

People say "INB4 LOCK!!11" on this forum?

Lmao, I thought people only did that on other forums that shall not be named.

People say "INB4 LOCK!!11" on this forum?

Not the particular phrase, but usually something akin to it in spirit. It's rather annoying...

Members are supposed to stay on-topic and contribute no matter how bad a topic might be. If this is an impossible task, we recommend not posting at all. A topic which otherwise would obviously be locked due to poor quality can sometimes be saved if members spend effort and treat the subject with care and respect. I keep having the feeling that even decent topics have to be locked down due to spamfests appearing out of nowhere and members not giving the topic a chance from the very start. If you do not care for a topic, do not post.

If you feel a topic should be locked, you may report the content by using the Report button below said post (first/opening post to report the topic as a whole). Too often recently I have seen spammed up topics. Seeing things like "inb4 lock" can be very rude and disrespectful toward other members, if not toward the SSMB as a whole. Such replies multiply like rabbits and easily spam up a few pages, forcing moderators to review much more than should have been the case. It adds unneeded frustration among both members and moderators. I should also remind you that although not much has been done about it up to this point, it does count as spam and it may get you punished, especially when situations escalate and when it is even more obvious that members should know better. We are supposed to be a fun and warm community, but I have noticed that these kind of things give off the complete opposite impression quite easily.

Go ahead and post, be respectful and awesome, and most of all, have fun! Unless it means breaking the forum rules, like pulling "inb4 lock". Judging things like that is sort of a moderator's job, so quit it and stay on-topic.

• Thumbs Up 9

I think a lot of people think they can still get away with this because we haven't yet actually taken action against the majority of people who post in such threads.

It's very hard to keep track of repeated offenders, but I think from now on if I see posts that get really bad, I'm going to personally send individual PMs to any who contributed to the topic with condescending replies. You know, since public verbal warnings don't seem to work despite the amount of times we've told you guys not to do this.

• Thumbs Up 8

I think one of the things that may contribute to this is because of how close we've become as long term members.

Think back to that forum raid I accidentally started a long while back that led to this topic, and you can put something together in terms of how we are towards each other. We may pride ourselves as being grey enough to not be so petty over what we like or dislike, but over time that's ended up having many of us get sick of seeing rather poor quality topics in content. Some of it is due to new members not completely understanding how we work, others are definitely new members being rude and assholish in their responses. I've had enough of the latter directed at me to know the feeling, and it becomes somewhat hard to not want to put them in their place.

And so we report, but then I think it's the impatience of not seeing a mod take action coupled with a degree of anger that causes some to go in and backseat mod. But still, I've learned to be patient and let the mods do their work, and admittedly they won't always be able to get to the response immediately.

But I definitely have to say this: it's the high amount of logic we like to use on these boards that make us act an asshole in response. No it isn't done because the veteran members think they're better than the new ones, but there is a degree of logic that hurts the mind so much it makes one flip their shit online and start verbally tearing others a new one. I've seen it happen to others, and it's happened to me once in the past.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Yeah I like to bring up a issue that I've been witnessing here as of late with the statuses.

Ever since this RP stuff started up here (especially that Omniverse one) theres been an increase of back-and-forths of statuses discussing what there going to do in the RP thread, what they have done in the RP thread, or are currently doing said thing in the RP thread. and each one of these said actions would be their own different status!

Saturday (9/8/12) in paticular is when it really started to bug me. I don't know what was going on in that Omniverse thread, but people felt the need to post something about it every damned minute. some others including myself tried changing the discussion to something else but that status would get pushed off the front page 1 minute later by more RP bull! it wasn't until that oddball made that topic claiming he wanted to be a Sonic god or whatever that it finally started dying down and getting back to normal.

Look I'm not saying that it should be banned, anybody should be allowed to talk about whatever they want so long its not against the rules, what I'am saying is that I hope it gets cracked down alittle and we don't have the need to post about the RP threads every minute like what happened on saturday so we can have our normal varied discussions.

Edited by goku262002

'Scuse me, but I hope you don't mind me quoting something you said about 3 or 4 months ago:

This is a gray area with me' date=' I mean today we were talking about a member for an out of the blue reason just got banned for an idiot status update. I guess this falls under the rule but from the conversation we were having I don't think it was really rule breaking, hopefully this is lenient on a status by status basis.[/quote']

So you're with the idea of allowing people to point out other forums, a user or something else? Because so am I. I'm tempted to post a status update about raiding another forum, but now that I've been verbally warned for the first time for a similar matter I'm not sure if I could slip away :/

I wasn't referring to the RP thread talk.

Though, I agree it should be slowed down: things that would be said in statuses would best be posted in a post/thread.

I'm more worried about how every time there is a disagreement about the RPs or how they are run ("I wanted that character," "I hated that decision," etc) the Updates seem to turn into a public battlefield for it. I'm not sure if it is all a joke or not, but it doesn't seem to be.

Yeah I remember some of those statuses as well. all apart of the annoying headache that was saturday.

I wasn't referring to the RP thread talk.

Though, I agree it should be slowed down: things that would be said in statuses would best be posted in a post/thread.

Ah alright, you gotta make yourself more clear on that man. don't want to start anything unneccessary.