Awoo.

Are we anticipating a new Sonic game to be announced this year?

SolidSurgeTT

There may be spinoffs like ASR or chronicles etc. But I don't care for those. and Dimps has their hands too occupied with Episode 2 to make another game along with it, I may expect just maybe a storybook game or something. I think this is a perfect opportunity for Sega give us some good Generations DLC and to cash in on some ports. Maybe a Taxman style S3K or Knuckles' choatix would be good enough, and a port of SA2. Hell, CJohnson alone would probably buy and pay for like 500 of those ports.

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 2

You do realise they're not doing storybook games anymore.

SEGA never declared the Storybook Series dead, so it's still a possibility—although an unlikely one given that the team responsible moved on to Colors and the first two Storybook titles were delisted.

Still...Colours was a main series game and that was 2 years after Unleashed.

But wasn't Black Knight made by the same team?

At some point in time, yeah.

SEGA has several development teams working on Sonic round the clock. I don't expect the HD team to come up with anything, but with Dimps working on Sonic 4: Episode 2 and Sumo Digital having all but confirmed Sonic and SEGA All Stars Racing 2, I can see either another Sonic Rush-esque handheld coming up soon, or another game by the Storybook Team. Whether that's another Storybook game in itself or a more traditional game like Sonic Colors is anyone's guess.

Either way, here's to another cool year of Sonic. Cheers, 2011, bring in 2012!

Well, I'm anticipating something from the Storybook Series division will be made known sometime this year. I mean, it has been over a year since Colors came out, right?

We're always anticipating a new Sonic game.

However, I hope they focus on making Sonic 4 Episode 2 as good as possible, as well as making some sweet Generations DLC - if Sonic Team are smart, and sometimes they are, we'll get DLC of some kind.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can see either another Sonic Rush-esque handheld coming up soon, or another game by the Storybook Team. Whether that's another Storybook game in itself or a more traditional game like Sonic Colors is anyone's guess.

I'm really tired of Sonic Rush style, and I have only played up to Rush Adventure. The last we heard of storybook was a poll that showed high interes for Sonic going to ancient Greece. While I would welcome a Storybook game, mostly because they add interesting flavor to the series (I don't care if Black Knight sucked. It entertained me while better stuff was comming.) but what I am curious about is SAWNIC FRIKEN KRAWNIKLES! I know we doubt that a Chronicles sequel will ever happen, but... what happened over there?

"Oh boy! Sonic RPG! Sup, Bioware. You guys are awsome with games and stuff, how 'bout you do Sonic?"

"Sure. We'll make something reeeeel nice. wink.png"

*1/2 development cycle later

"Ok, ok, everyone just stop for a sec. Just stop. Be honest now. By show of hands, who here CARES about Sonic?"

"Wait, that's what the game is about?"

That's what I think happened. 100% accurate. Yep.

Edited by Chaos Walker
  • Thumbs Up 4

The only thing I expect from Sega is:

Sonic Generations DLC

Sonic 4 ep 2

ASR 2

This is it. Generations is a game where DLC is a must. If they don't hand us DLC for this game, I consider it a big slap in the face. S4E2 is coming no doubt and it looks fantastic so far. I'm hoping that this game is on the GOTY downloadable list. It looks too good so far. ASR 2, we want it. Sega knows it so it would be dumb not to give us it. As long as the game has BEAT (JSR) I don't care how much they change it.

Definitely expecting an additional surprise announcement. Currently the only game we have confirmation on is Sonic 4 Episode 2, and we don't have Mario and Sonic to tide over the fall period this year.

That said, I doubt it'd be anything major. Probably just a little spin-off to fill up some time.

Edited by VEDJ-F

To be honest, I'd rather they hold off on the next new game and focus on downloadable titles this year

Dream Schedule:

Spring 2012:

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II

Sonic Generations DLC 1

Summer 2012:

Sonic Generations DLC 2

Fall 2012:

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode III

Sonic Generations DLC 3

Sonic 3&Knuckles: Taxman Port for PSN, XBLA, iOS, Wii-U

Hoping Episode III is in the cards for 2012 is too much. It's taken FOREVER to even see II and the speculation that the Sonic 4 series won't go past II continues to persist.

Hoping Episode III is in the cards for 2012 is too much. It's taken FOREVER to even see II and the speculation that the Sonic 4 series won't go past II continues to persist.

Well, there were a few reasons why it's taking a while for E2 to come out:

1. They had to create a brand new graphics engine and physics engine for E2, in an attempt to address problems people had with E1.

2. E2 was put on hold because Sonic Team wanted to focus on the development of Sonic Generations, and now that it's out, they're focusing on E2.

So I doubt it will take as long for Episode 3 (assuming there even is an Episode 3) to come out.

I'm still expecting Sonic Generations DLC >.>

Phantasy Star Online 2 is going to be epic, but probably won't be released in english this year.

I'd be shocked if Episode III doesn't come out this year. Episodic downloadable games shouldn't have year-long spans between releases. The time between E1/E2 is attributable to Sega wanting to put the focus on SG last year and to having to basically start from scratch.

Since Episode II is coming out in the Spring, I'd guess SEGA is counting on releasing E3 sometime later in the year.

No doubt at all that something will turn up. SEGA have their spring release with Sonic 4, they'll be looking for a holiday release to. Could just be ASR I guess though.

• 3 weeks later...

So, Sonic 4 is dead.

That's not cool. I hope that means Sonic Team actually has another project on their table because this could be one of the most disappointing years in recent Sonic history if they don't correct this.

At least it brings me some joy to know Sonic Dimensions wasn't real.

So, Sonic 4 is dead.

That's not cool. I hope that means Sonic Team actually has another project on their table because this could be one of the most disappointing years in recent Sonic history if they don't correct this.

At least it brings me some joy to know Sonic Dimensions wasn't real.

Sonic 4 is dead so long as E2 performs poorly and SEGA decide not to continue it. They've been saying this since day 1.

• Thumbs Up 2

this could be one of the most disappointing years in recent Sonic history if they don't correct this.

I don't really see it as disappointing to be honest. The potential lack of a Sonic game this year would only mean that 2013's (or 14's) game would be huge.

For me it's more about Sega's touchiness on the idea of continuing Sonic 4 than the fact that they didn't specifically say Sonic 4 was ending (instead 'looking for fan reactions', to paraphrase), even though that devs have said (and are actually showing) that the game is more authentic to Sonic's roots than Episode I was.

They don't want to see this through? If the dev team actually did rework the game like they're saying, I could see myself wanting to play more (especially since I don't really consider classic Sonic in Generations to be a great analog to the games he's supposed to represent; as many problems as Sonic 4: E1 has with physics, I could rattle off a fair number of equally irksome engine issues with classic Sonic).

So, again...if retirement for Sonic 4 is imminent, I want something else to take its place.

Edited by S0lidS0nic_Th3_H

I hope we get that Sonic Heroes 2 game that was being rumoured last year.

I'm pretty sure that will never happen.

• Thumbs Up 3

Definitely expecting some news but probably not too soon (or right now) probably later this year there could be a chance of a 3D spin off game/handheld main game but never know they could be working on the upcoming 3D game but guess the news will come when we least expect it tongue.png since it's not long till Sonic 4 comes out so we'll have that to look forward to and also Sonic And Sega All Stars Racing 2 later this year. Though I guess there could be some DLC for Generations if not then that'll be disappointing for people who have XBLA/PSN ;A;

There may be spinoffs like ASR or chronicles etc. But I don't care for those. and Dimps has their hands too occupied with Episode 2 to make another game along with it, I may expect just maybe a storybook game or something. I think this is a perfect opportunity for Sega give us some good Generations DLC and to cash in on some ports. Maybe a Taxman style S3K or Knuckles' choatix would be good enough, and a port of SA2. Hell, CJohnson alone would probably buy and pay for like 500 of those ports.

LOL but then he'll still rant about wanting SA3 as he did EVERY DAMN TIME on the Sonic The Hedgehog facebook page in discussions last year (From early 2011 - Summer 11) rolleyes.giflaugh.png

Edited by C.J
  • Thumbs Up 1

I hope we get that Sonic Heroes 2 game that was being rumoured last year.

That rumour was started in 2010. By me. As a joke on the whole "SEGA has left clues as to when it will be announced" thanks to a certain floor element in Bingo Highway.

I can assure you that it never had any legitimate ground.