Awoo.

Boy aged 7 accused of being a racist by his school

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah sure, just wait a moment I'll cook something up.

Love you, Hoggy! ~<3

So I asked someone in my class what their nationality was, and I got dragged to the Dean's office and they forced me to sign a waver that forces me to wear a sign around my neck saying "RACIST WHITE MAN."

The sad part is I'm not sure how far from reality that actually is.

I really hate how people inflate the touchiness of race when it's already awkward enough as is. I remember a similar thing happening in my 3rd grade class; a friend of mine raised his hand and asked why Asian people have narrow eyes. He didn't get into trouble, but the teacher scolded him for the comment.

These aren't racist remarks, these are OBSERVATIONS. Well, the question by the kid in the article was more of a hypothesis, but the point is there's a difference between basing judgments on outward appearences and heritage and showing curiosity about the corelation between exhibited phenotypes and ancestry. Do these people really expect someone who's seven years old to have the context to understand that this kind of approach isn't tactful? And even in any scenario I wouldn't call it racist so much as awkwardly forward.

Racism is a belief that a person is to be judged based on their race. Stereotypes are a concluded, if false, corelation between one's race and their behaviors or tendencies; conclusions that can potentially lead to racist convictions. Humanity's innate need to study the world with empiricism can cause us to become misguided, but if these questions aren't allowed to be asked by children, then you're only blocking them from understanding the idea that it's okay to be different; you give the connotation that other races are "off limits" to you somehow. To me, the only racist thing about this scenario is the idea that the question is racist based on the race of the kid it was asked by.

• Thumbs Up 2