Awoo.

Mr Monster Guy found at Retro.

Badnik Mechanic

That's pretty cool. Though I'm glad it never made it to the game, cool as that concept art is, the monsters are a little too generic "weird plat former villain"

That said, I'd love to see more, the big ghost guy and bumble bee eggman especially

• Thumbs Up 2

Huh......never knew that he actually made it in as a later scrapped badnik. Very interesting.

It's weird to think that we came so close to a game that's so different to the finished product. Makes you wonder how the series would have progressed

Right now those screens are just from digital camera quality. were waiting on actual, clear scans to get a better idea of how the monster dude looked. but its a pretty cool discovery none the less.

This is the kind of thing we should show to Yuji Naka but its too bad we spent that on that idiot hoax this year.

Thanks for making this topic, Hogfather! I'm glad somebody did.

Anywho, more info..

Re: Palette..

[snippet of screenshot]

[snippet of picture of the baddie]

You guys do realise, using the Ending palette for the purple flowers, that Palette Line 0 uses blue and red (as in the screenshot), and Palette Line 1 uses purple and yellow (as in that concept art)?

EDIT: Palette for reference:

s1endingPalette.png

This further supports the factor that this badnik-before-badniks was here; because although you could just dismiss that picture of that blue area as a motion blur or blob, having the red and blue right beside the purple and yellow (the colors of the baddie in the original picture) in the ending GHZ's palette line confirms this baddie's existence.

It also confirms that these monsters came in multiple colors, much like the Koopa Troopas in Super Mario Bros...!

Aaaaand thanks to ICEKnight of Retro, we have custom-made sprites (using said palette lines) that give us enough of an idea as to what these little cretins really did look like:

sonicgoombax2.pngsonicgoombax2alt.png

Not perfect, but they do a dang good job.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 7

What an interesting find. I was just reading that forum on Sonic Retro and I do believe that this is quite correct. As stated, the palette colours prove this is the early badnik and the basic pencil drawn outline seconds this.

I wonder what else would have been included? Would that one-handed bat-like creature feature in Marble Zone? Seems to have the colour for it.

I wish there was a legit video for that 1990 Sega tech demo.