Awoo.

Some of the talking adverts on TSS are bad

Badnik Mechanic

Recently TSS started using 'talking' adverts on the homepage...

And some of them are trying to put various nasty things onto my computer, at least thats what my anti virus stuff is saying.

About 5 min ago I went onto the TSS homepage, no sooner had it loaded up but my java menu suddenly pops up, then security essentials pops up with warnings and norton also starts giving me alerts. Can't remember what the advert was, might have been tescos/a shopping one if that narrows it down for anyone at all.

Has anyone else had issues with some of the adds on TSS causing virus alerts?

Now I would post what the details were via nortons reports, only it's not listed there (I can't find it at least) in security essentials the file in question was this...

Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Low\Content.IE5\L29FJV2E\560fe[1].pdf->(pdf0000:)->(SCRIPT0000)

Doesn't exactly help much I know, only the alerts started to happen whilst TSS was loading up, the only thing new about the Homepage would be those talking adds.

Edited by Hogfather

I hadn't noticed these before you mentioned it, but I am seeing some of them now. Unfortunately they're via one of our better performers, so I'm loathed to drop them. I have contacted them about it, though.

We haven't had trouble with this provider before now, so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah. The way it works in general is that these ad networks will negotiate their own deals with advertisers, but then to monetise pageviews after all the good paying stuff is gone, they use less reputable networks themselves. So while they can directly control the stuff they negotiate, it's these other networks where the problem ads slip through the cracks. And ironically the most problematic ones are the ones that usually make the least money.

In any case, I've sent them a load of code that identifies who's doing what, so they should be able to work it out from that.

• Thumbs Up 5