Awoo.

What's the Point of Taking Things Away?

Tamaki Kawazoe <3

Okay, since I been getting F's in classes. I got my Wii and 360 taken away. Which leads me to making this topic(Luckily my computer was spared). Anyways, what is the point of taking things away from kids for getting F's in classes or stuff like that? I mean, why do parents act like it will teach kids a lesson and think that it will make them never do the wrong thing again? I don't get it, what is the point? It WON'T stop them. I mean, the stupidest reason for taking something away is getting F in classes. They act like it will make you get better grades and make you focus more in class. What are your thoughts on these kind of things?

I personally believe parents would do this, so to make their kids work harder, to get their games/computers back. I find it stupid to be honest, and it will never work on every kid. I've had this happen to me when I was a kid, and it never stopped me from working like I was before I got my games taken away.

If the games are distracting you from your work then taking them away would be an improvement, no?

It's very difficult for a parent to know how exactly to motivate their children, so they try different tactics based on their knowledge and experience. You don't get an instruction manual when you're a parent so you're on your own with it all. They could have kicked your arse for screwing up at school, so confiscating some of the things you find pleasurable is a very mild punishment. They're thinking of your future and aren't sure what to do about it. Who the fuck is anyway? If you're unhappy at school then you should talk to your parents about it or a member of staff working at your school. Either way, I feel they were justified in punishing you for your actions :F.

• Thumbs Up 1

If the games are distracting you from your work then taking them away would be an improvement, no?

The thing is, my dad always says I don't focus in school because "You think about coming home to games"excuse. But you see, it won't effect me in the least. I will try a little harder again and then do what I used to. But thing is, my grandma said if I fail the 9th grade, next year I won't have anything for that whole entire school year.

EDIT:It actually wasn't my parents btw, it was my grandma. She basically has to enforce the rules when it comes to stuff like this. So she is the one who made the decision.

Edited by Nights

Well, you got Fs in classes, and that does, in some theories and circles, merit the taking away of privileges. I, on the other hand, came out to my parents, and lost my freedom, among other things, for being who I am, so...

basically parents/guardians like to do this shit because they can. They're all high and moral, "thinking about your future," because they care about you, but if they really gave a shit they wouldn't be trying to make you do school work because if you don't you won't play your video games. Yeah, this tactic works in getting children to do their school work/chores, but it doesn't actually teach the importance of work ethic or learning/knowledge, they're doing it for the video games and not because they care.

Parents aren't doing anything forcing children to do school work or chores (in this case, they're forcing kids to do house work for them on the grounds that they fucked and that's why you're here, LOL) other than putting a band-aid on a broken arm. If they really wanted to do something good, parents would try talking to their children about their future. If that doesn't work, then it's a lost cause, and they are only damaging their relationship with their offspring at that point.

Like the whole "go to bed at X," shit. What do parents have to gain from their children going to bed at ten o'clock? Nothing. So... why?

Roarey: Yes, his grandmother may have been justified in her decision (how exactly are you supposed to be unjustified in a parental decision when you have dictatorial authority and "Because I said so," is an end-all-be-all argument?), and you are correct that children do not come with instruction manuals. Parents do come with brains, though, so they aren't entirely up a creek without a paddle.

I don't see how this is bad parenting. They're not spanking you (I hate this), beating you up, abusing you emotionally, or making you skip meals. Taking away material possessions that mean nothing in the long run shouldn't mean anything to you negatively.

And really - there's a very low chance that you're going to get or be a parent who knows exactly what to do to discipline a child. As a parent, you only have two things to go by: your own judgment and your parents'. But the parents who do these kinds of things aren't out to get you, they're trying to address the problem by taking away the distractions, even if this method is a little rough around the edges. As opposed to threatening you with violence, this is really tame.

Edited by Jake
  • Thumbs Up 1

Okay, since I been getting F's in classes. I got my Wii and 360 taken away. Which leads me to making this topic(Luckily my computer was spared). Anyways, what is the point of taking things away from kids for getting F's in classes or stuff like that? I mean, why do parents act like it will teach kids a lesson and think that it will make them never do the wrong thing again? I don't get it, what is the point? It WON'T stop them. I mean, the stupidest reason for taking something away is getting F in classes. They act like it will make you get better grades and make you focus more in class. What are your thoughts on these kind of things?

I think parents take away stuff like that so you can focus on your studies more. Also, maybe to try and make a point, saying that if you're not successful in life, you won't have all these luxuries, nor do you deserve them. I dunno, that's my best guess. I'm not saying its always the right answer. If I was your parent, I'd "advise" you to get to work, probably give a stern answer, and when college time comes around, you'd be kicked out and I'd see how well you'd do, and I wouldn't help you if you're not hired because you blew off school.

Point is, it might be wise to put down the controller and pick up the text books for like, 45 minutes a night or somethin'...

Edited by EXshad

Roarey: Yes, his grandmother may have been justified in her decision (how exactly are you supposed to be unjustified in a parental decision when you have dictatorial authority and "Because I said so," is an end-all-be-all argument?), and you are correct that children do not come with instruction manuals. Parents do come with brains, though, so they aren't entirely up a creek without a paddle.

Yeah they do come with brains, and it's very easy to make sweeping judgements about the individual actions of people you don't know XP. I get what you're saying, but I think you're missing out on the bigger picture :F. Intelligence, whether you have it or not, is often excluded from family relationships XP. I agree, though, that the "because I said so" response is setting a very shitty example for any child, and shouldn't be used.

Like the whole "go to bed at X," shit. What do parents have to gain from their children going to bed at ten o'clock? Nothing. So... why?

They gain the knowledge that their kids are getting enough sleep to be able to function properly and be healthy? Kids need more sleep than adults. They also need the melatonin that's released at night to balance out the seratonin released during the day. Kids who don't sleep enough are prone to poor concentration, lower immune systems, and depression.

It's not (just) about parents exerting power. It's about the genuine wellbeing of the child.

As for being punished by having your games taken away - that seems fair and just to me. My dad used to hit me with the metal end of his belt when he was upset with me. Wanna swap?

• Thumbs Up 1

They gain the knowledge that their kids are getting enough sleep to be able to function properly and be healthy? Kids need more sleep than adults. They also need the melatonin that's released at night to balance out the seratonin released during the day. Kids who don't sleep enough are prone to poor concentration, lower immune systems, and depression.

It's not (just) about parents exerting power. It's about the genuine wellbeing of the child.

As for being punished by having your games taken away - that seems fair and just to me. My dad used to hit me with the metal end of his belt when he was upset with me. Wanna swap?

Haha, and let's not forget, Flyboy, the whole "you can go the fuck to bed anyway you little bleeder because I've been working all day and then doing things for you and I want a sodding break" factor XP. Important for the sanity of any adult.

P.S. I wanna kick your dads' arse :F.

I had all my things taken away at one point in time. It really changed my life, I think it taught me how to prioritize and not take those little things for granted. I hated every second of it, but it was worth it.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is the exact sort of thing my parents would do if I began getting F's. Though I don't like their system, it definitely works for the better. If you really like something, you'll want to keep it.

That's why I get only A's.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah they do come with brains, and it's very easy to make sweeping judgements about the individual actions of people you don't know XP. I get what you're saying, but I think you're missing out on the bigger picture :F. Intelligence, whether you have it or not, is often excluded from family relationships XP. I agree, though, that the "because I said so" response is setting a very shitty example for any child, and shouldn't be used.

Indeed, I do not know his parents/grandmother. I can only go on what he's told me (which may be biased, but that's .

It seems that we both see each other's points however indirectly disagree on this issue. Agree to disagree, I suppose. :P

They gain the knowledge that their kids are getting enough sleep to be able to function properly and be healthy?

Pointless knowledge.

Haha, and let's not forget, Flyboy, the whole "you can go the fuck to bed anyway you little bleeder because I've been working all day and then doing things for you and I want a sodding break" factor XP. Important for the sanity of any adult.

Hahaha, an actual reason. Too true. XD

It'll help you focus more on school and your studies if you have less things to occupy your time on weekdays. I sometimes limit my games and time with friends so I can get my home work done or get some extra studying time in if I'm not doing so well in a class or I have to take an important test. Next week, Bionic Commando is supposed to come out and I really want it, but I have regents and finals coming up in about 3 weeks, and I know if I get this game I'll probably spend more time playing it than studying, which I absolutely need to do if I want a regents deploma to get into a decent college.

love

It's always a great idea to be irrational when making important decisions.

If I somehow magically gained a kid and it was failing at school. I would start hiding power cords for games consoles and actually start forcing them to start doing homework. 'cus lets face it. You're gonna screw up life by screwing up at school. You don't DESERVE to have something like a wii or PS3 or whatever if you're not actually earning the right to. Your games consoles are a privilege. Not a right. Seen as I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your parents brought it? Or the fact they pay for the electricity you use by playing them? Or they own the TV? Get over it and stop failing school.

It's what mother did to me and now I'm at university. Woo.

As for bedtimes. Parents need some times to their selves. Till about 10 I was going to bed at 7, it gradually crept up till when I was 16 I went bed when I wanted (Of course within reasonable hours yes......my favourite was 6AM <_<). Plus, sleep is more important to a child than an adult. You do most your growing while asleep! That's why I'm 6' 5" :P

Believe it or not, much of human behavior (and emotion in general) is irrational. For example, your post; you attempted to respond to my argument by inquiring of me if my biological parents loved me. This is not a response, as it doesn't respond to my argument.

I'd rather not derail the topic any further, but human emotions tend to cloud judgment. You cannot refute my point with any actual evidence, as none exists. Sorry. :(

Solid SOAP: That's good that you limit your video game/fun time in order to focus on your studies. This is indeed the way it should be; the student setting his or her own limits and achieving the grades that they wish to work for. It isn't anyone else's job to do this.

Cheers for generalising.

Seconded. That's a purely societal view, and, as mentioned, over-generalized.

Edited by MrsO

Well. I guess I deserved it, but really, it didn't really effect me in the least. All I want my 360 for is to talk to people. I don't really want it for the games atm. I was just into talking to people to make use of my gold.

I agree that Video Games is the only thing that kept me in good mood and relieves the stress that life may give me. If it wasn't for it then I would be a totally different (In a bad way) person.

Its a shame that my parents did the same thing when my grades went low in school and it had more negative effects than good.

Edited by Shade737