Awoo.

Pokemon Black & White 2 [DS]

PSI Wind

IGN has posted an extremely positive BW2 review.

9.6/10

Look no further - the perfect realization of Pokémon on the DS has arrived.

Don’t underestimate Pokémon Black Version 2. Rather than just a slightly expanded repackaging of the latest generation’s core titles (a la Pokémon Yellow, Crystal, Emerald or Platinum), this direct sequel breaks the Pokémon mid-generation mold by offering a brand new adventure in the Unova region. What you might expect is more of the same - and for the most part, that’s what you get. Considering the caliber of what came before, this certainly isn’t a bad thing - but Black 2 manages to complement this “same” with some truly apt refinements and a stunning amount of fresh content. The final result is a game that features some of the most cinematic moments the franchise has ever seen, and the most fully realized Pokémon game to ever make use of the DS hardware.

To start, it’s important to understand that Pokémon Black 2 doesn’t seek to upend the basic Pokémon formula, simply to refine and expand it. You can expect to employ the same expertly crafted, turn-based mechanics as ever, catch a variety of fantastical creatures and acquire eight gym badges - but don’t let the similarities fool you. Pokémon Black 2 also offers an overwhelming amount of new content. In addition to new main characters, new areas and a new storyline, the revamped Unova region supplies copious amounts of entertainment for your journey to Victory Road.

Gyms have always played an important role in the Pokémon experience, and they’re at their best in Black 2. The gyms themselves are far grander than in previous games. You’ll find Elesa’s roller coasters supplemented by a booming catwalk, Burgh’s gym covered in silk cocoons – and, while I won’t spoil it for you, suffice to say that Drayden’s domain presents an epic homage to the dragon-tamer’s type of choice.

Additional opportunities to test your team and flex your skills include the Pokémon World Tournament, a new in-game event where you can face off against gym leaders and champions from

Pokemon Black Version 2

October 7, 2012

Made for Nintendo DS, this game is a sequel to the fifth generation of Pokemon games, known as Pokemon Black & Pokemon White. Following up on the original, this game introduces new Legendary Pokemon.

Much More

Audrey Drake Says

Try This Game If You Liked:

• DargonQuest5DSboxboxart_160w.jpg
  • DSPokemonConquestAmericanFinalboxart_160w.jpg
  • Pokemon-Black-Ver_NDS_US_ESRBboxart_160w.jpg

past titles. The inclusion of a constantly running tourney is a brilliant addition, as it provides an exciting venue for honing your battle skills, and it’s a pleasure re-challenging some of the most iconic characters from the franchise’s rich history.

While battling is still the game’s main draw, a multitude of other activities round out the finely balanced experience. PokéStar Studios, for instance, lets you make miniature movies with your favorite monsters while testing your knowledge of type advantages. It’s in the same vein as the Pokémon Musicals, which are returning from Black and White - both are a tad frivolous compared to the rest of the game, but as an optional diversion they’re quite amusing if you’re in the right mood. There’s also Join Avenue, an area populated by trainers you’ve connected with via the game’s seamless IR, wireless and online communications. While it’s fun hanging out with your friends’ avatars, the main draw here is the variety of specialty shops you can encourage them to set up, each offering a range of unique goods or services for your shopping pleasure.

The series continues to advance portable multiplayer in other ways as well, with additions like the revamped Entralink’s new Fun Fest Missions. The incredible thing about these quests - which range from chasing down berries to catching Pokémon - is that they allow up to 100 players to connect locally and simultaneously experience the Unova region together. Paired with the Xtransceiver, an impressive video chat feature returning from Black and White, these options present a fun way for fellow trainers to easily connect, interact, and arrange matches or trades on the fly.

Pokémon collecting has also been improved for Black 2, made far easier by the game’s innovative Habitat List function. A new feature of your Pokédex, the Habitat List allows you to track which monsters you’ve encountered and caught in each location. This makes it incredibly simple to systematically clear each area, filling out your dex along the way. It’s a brilliant tool, especially for Pokémon completionists, and served to completely reignite my desire to catch ‘em all. It helps that the game boasts the largest regional Pokédex yet, with nearly 300 monsters spanning all five generations. This allows for far greater variety in the monsters you encounter, and also means there’s plenty of opportunity to fill your dex without looking to past games.

A handful of other supplementary features further elevate and flesh out the experience, such as the new medal system. Medals are basically the Pokémon equivalent to achievements or trophies, and offer great incentive to challenge yourself on your Pokémon journey. The game has more than 200 medals for dedicated trainers to earn for things like checking all the trashcans for hidden items or winning lots of battles at the Battle Subway. The new Unova is also home to secret areas called Pokémon Grottoes, where you can nab yourself some rare items or monsters. Locating these grottoes is no small feat, but it’s incredibly fulfilling when you do, especially considering the variety of prizes you can collect from these regenerating hideouts.

The new key system also represents a great stride for the franchise. With a handful of “keys” to collect by fulfilling certain requirements (like beating the game or capturing a certain Pokémon), Black 2 allows you to manipulate the game in ways you never could before. With the right key you can actually change the game’s difficulty from normal to either hard or easy, a first for the series. It’s a remarkably successful way to allow for further customization of your game experience, and the ability to trade keys between versions means players who don’t meet the requirements can still get in on the action.

The story presented in Black and White was easily the most captivating in series history, and Black 2 only deepens and expands the narrative set forth in those games. The renewed threat of the reformed Team Plasma (and the clash between the members who just wanted power and those who really thought N was helping Pokémon) adds fresh context and depth to this scenario, and culminates in a truly epic conclusion. While the story stands on its own, watching this arc come to a close should prove especially fulfilling for fans of Black and White.

Considering this direct sequel continues the previous game’s story (albeit with a new main hero and new motivations), it’s remarkable how fresh and new it all feels. While you revisit many of the same towns and routes, most have seen significant changes in the two years since the original games. You’ll also find several entirely new places to explore, and some of the returning areas are nearly unrecognizable. The small town of Driftveil, for instance, has positively boomed, largely thanks to the newly established Pokémon World Tournament. Returning characters have also grown with the passing of time, and it’s a great joy to see not only how Unova has changed and prospered, and but also how time has treated old friends like Cheren (now a full-fledged gym leader) and Bianca (now assisting Professor Juniper as she tries to figure herself out).

As an additional reward for players who beat Black or White, Black 2 comes with the new Memory Link system, which unlocks supplementary vignettes if you link your copy of the game with your Black/White save file. While they’re not necessary for enjoying or understanding Black 2’s story, these short snippets serve to shed light on what took place in the two years between games. Linking your save files also means characters in Black 2 mention “the hero who saved Unova” by name, a cool nod for those who took the time to stop Team Plasma the first time around.

Much like Black and White, Black 2 employs a blended use of 2D sprite art and 3D graphics. The resulting visual style is at its most impressive here, and the expanded yet subtle use of 3D makes for some truly epic and cinematic moments as the story progresses. Black 2 also boasts four distinct seasons. You’ll see Unova covered in powdery snow, piles of fallen leaves and puddles of fresh spring rain, visual effects that are not only lovely, but also inform the accessibility of certain areas and affect how you traverse the environment. Much like the rest of the package, the visual presentation of Black 2 perfectly realizes the potential of the Pokémon series on DS hardware. The fog in the trees, the sweeping caves and mountains fading into the distance, your footprints in the sand and reflection in the water - small touches like these make for a beautiful and memorable world that is brimming with life.

Become a fan of IGN

The Verdict

Pokémon Black Version 2 is far more than a traditional mid-generation release, with enough new and repurposed content to keep you occupied for months on end. It offers an addicting, expertly crafted and glorious realization of turn-based role-playing at its best, and functions as the most complete and balanced Pokémon game yet, as well as the full realization of what a 2D Pokémon adventure should look, feel and play like. If you played Black or White - get this game. It's an even more refined version of that already excellent experience, with more than enough "new" to set itself apart. If you're seeking a deep, portable RPG, regardless of whether you’ve ever thrown a Poké ball in your life - get this game, as it’s one of the crown jewels of the genre on the DS hardware. And finally, if you've played Pokémon before and want to experience the richest experience the series has to offer - look no further than Pokémon Black 2.

I was just about to get White 2 but I backed out of the deal because I didn't think it was worth it. If the game has a promotion down the line (Black Friday?) then I might think twice. I just don't think spending nearly 40 dollars on a Gray+ was worth my money. My brother ended up getting Black 2 though and he is playing it right now.

I don't have a lot of time to play through the game either, and I don't feel like grinding my pokemon all over again. Maybe next time.

Edit: I thought IGN dumped the decimal system? I thought a few years ago they agreed to only give ratings on a .5 scale?

Edited by Autosaver

I just don't think spending nearly 40 dollars on a Gray+ was worth my money.

Look it up before you bash it.

Anyhow, I'm having a hell of a hard time getting a Riolu now. Saw one half an hour ago, but I ran out of pokeballs. :/

I'm going to pass on BW2 myself, at least for a while. BW1 was easily my least enjoyed set of main Pokémon games and I have yet to find out what makes the sequels such an astronomical improvement that I'd be willing to jump back into Unova again. Whenever I do end up getting around to this, I'm most certainly not going to be using any Gen5 Pokémon on my team due to their shitty movepools. Besides, I usually only feel like playing Pokémon once every few years anyway.

• Thumbs Up 4

Look it up before you bash it.

Did you read my post? I did not call it Pokemon Gray. I called it Pokemon Gray+. I honestly don't get how people get the conclusion that people that are deciding to get the game haven't done their research. Are you trying to tell me that Pokemon Black 2 is the next big game in the series? It is Pokemon Red 2 (Gold/Silver)? No, it isn't. It is in between which fits my definition. Seriously, I get you want to defend the game and all but denying reality is just being ignorant. I did not say that it isn't a good game and I did not say that it does npt have new features. Again, GRAY+, hell the first time I saw the name is on this exact forum. I know this forum has a lot of Pokemon fans so yes, I knew that someone would respond to argue against my points. Btw, here are several snippets I've found from many different reviewers.

Nintendo Power

These are superior versions of already great games, but they don't offer a different enough experience to justify the "2" in their titles. [Oct 2012, p.80]

Gamespot

Given that it's the first numbered sequel in the series, it's even less of a version shift than seen in previous games. It's not exactly the same as its predecessor; there have been a number of tweaks, functionally and aesthetically, and the plot's (sort of) new too. The problem is that, despite the additions, a weak plot, poor pacing, and an overabundance of easily-defeated Pokemon mean it's just not as good as the games that came before it.

The Escapist

Despite the addition of new towns and trainer gyms, you can't help but feel like you're following in your own footsteps if you've already played Pokemon Black and White.

GameTrailers

Despite throwing in some new bells and whistles, Pokémon Black & White 2 doesn't deviate from established formula

GamesBeat

Do you want full-blown sequels with all the changes that we usually see between major releases in the series? Then you'll be disappointed.

Official NM UK

Better than Black and White, but lacking their freshness.

Again, I have no doubt that Black & White 2 are much better experiences than the first. I also have no doubt that there are a ton of new changes. The point being is that like Sean I don't see the sequel like you guys do. Yay Pokemon? I'd love to play the new game but not at the current price. I'm currently saving up for games on the Wii U and trying to manage my budget with real life. I'm also getting into the crowd that is getting tired with Pokemon games (ironically because someone tried to label me as one that simply adores the new releases in another thread) and I'm more willing to plop down 40 bucks for a brand new experience.

Overall, while the "sequel" does try new things, it just isn't enough to pull me in right now. I'm sure it is a great game, and even reviewers have noted that while being similar it is fantastic. I hope you guys have fun and maybe I'll pick it up down the road. I simply don't have the time and money on me right now to dive into Unova again. Hopefully Black Friday has a good deal and I'll play it over the holidays.

Edited by Autosaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

So

Uh

I'd like to play the original White version so I know what story this is continuing off of, but I can't find a working rom file (yes I'm aware of the anti-piracy thing, I'm saying none of the patches worked for me)

After seven years I'm gonna buy a new pokemon game.

The last pokemon game I had was emerald( I did enjoy it a lot), but diamond and pearl never got my attention the same with black and white.

But these two really are speaking to me, so yeah I'm probably gonna buy black 2.

I just hope I don't get disappointed.

Nintendo Power

Gamespot

The Escapist

GameTrailers

GamesBeat

Official NM UK

All these boil down to "It sticks to the same formula" which is in reviews for Black and White, Heart Gold and Soul Silver and pretty much any other Pokemon Game. They always say that Pokemon games feel like the same as before.

All of these are from Gamespot:

Pokemon Black:

What it lacks in originality, Pokemon Black more than makes up for with a vast world to explore and an absorbing battle system that's heaps of fun.

Pokemon SoulSilver:

The Bad:

The same as last year

Pokemon Platinum:

Although not exactly fresh, Pokemon Platinum's substantial fine-tuning and new features make it the best special edition yet.

They always say the formula needs changing up, this doesn't make it "Grey+". The only reason this is getting more "the same" is because it uses the same region as the previous game (although edited), which makes sense considering it's first set of numbered games

• Thumbs Up 1

After seven years I'm gonna buy a new pokemon game.

The last pokemon game I had was emerald( I did enjoy it a lot), but diamond and pearl never got my attention the same with black and white.

But these two really are speaking to me, so yeah I'm probably gonna buy black 2.

I just hope I don't get disappointed.

You should try out Pearl or Diamond. I was skeptical of Gen 4 at first too, but they're really fun.

Fuck Platinum though.

EDIT: Well, actually, I hate platinum for reasons that don't really affect gameplay, so Platinum is okay.

Edited by Solkia-kun

You should try out Pearl or Diamond. I was skeptical of Gen 4 at first too, but they're really fun.

Fuck Platinum though.

EDIT: Well, actually, I hate platinum for reasons that don't really affect gameplay, so Platinum is okay.

Fuck the haters. Best Pokemon game due to music like this:

This, so much this...I cannot vait to it to release :3

The Rival seems to be a little high strung about losing his Pokemon...

So much that he punches a Team Plasma member in the face, and I think you mean his sister's.

Edited by Jetronic

Goddammit, Gamefreak did it again.

This game is awesome.

Looking at my rival... he gave me some serious Blue vibes from his appearance. He looks like a jerk, boy I was I surprised when he turned out to be a decent human being.

Anyways, beat Cheren and got my first badge. Currently have a team of 3:

Oshawott - 16

Flaaffy - 15

Riolu - 14

In hindsight, I probably should've picked Tepig as my starter since I have both Snivy and Oshawott on Black 1. But, I'll always have room for one more of the best Pokemon, so Oshawott can stay.

TEAM PLASMA 2012

TEAM PLASMA 2012

VOTE FOR YOUR TEAM PLASMA OVERLORDS TODAY

I'm not even going to bother being serious about hating PETA anymore. They're just an Implosion waiting to happen.

Edited by Solkia-kun
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well it is a surprisingly well made game in comparison to the others Peta have tried.

They're still bat-shit crazy though.

Funny that nurse joy in the peta game says she hates how pokemon are mistreated yet her message in all of the actual games "we hope to see you again" pretty much suggests that she wants to see your pets injured to make more money.

Damn

I'm not funny

Edited by Jetronic

Well I got Black 2 yesterday and I'm enjoying it so far.

At the moment I'm 3 badges down, and constantly looking for a stupid Trapinch in the Desert Resort. Currently have a team of 4, but 3 of them where transferred over from White. I chose Oshawott as my starter, but boxed him almost immediately since I'm kinda sick of the Gen 5 starters. So:

Keldeo - 21 (my replacement starter, and surprisingly hasn't been that game breaking yet)

Lucario - 23

Zorua - 26

Porygon - 26

Really digging the gyms this time around since I'm finding them pretty creative for the most part