Awoo.

Sega and NVIDIA announce March release date

StitchRS

Looks like the run of the mill first level to me, and I'm okay with that. Its pretty and that's all I'm willing to ask of the first stage.

Although I am starting to share in the concern that the tag-team spindash is grossly overpowered. In the last few years we've gone from no spindash at all to god stepping down off his throne to unleash justice in the form of a spinning ball of death...... didn't see that coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just wondering how they expect us to treat Sonic 4 as one whole game eventually when each episode is going to be going back to a 'first level' stage each time, in design and difficulty. Couldn't they make it slightly harder for continuity purposes?

• Thumbs Up 5

Indeed, I filtered out some of the hiss and it does sound like Sonic 4-1 soundfonts are returning.

The gameplay looks alright to me! I noticed that they gained speed while going down hills, so that's nice to see.

Why did they fix everything, but make the level design worse? 1:41 must've been done on purpose to piss off everyone. Although, everything before that was pretty decent. And goddamn, that 69 move looks unstoppable Q_Q

I'm just wondering how they expect us to treat Sonic 4 as one whole game eventually when each episode is going to be going back to a 'first level' stage each time, in design and difficulty. Couldn't they make it slightly harder for continuity purposes?

Gameplay looks good. I mean, there shouldn't be so many springs or boosters. (Actually, there shouldn't be any boosters). However, I like it overall.

Looks better than Episode I. That's for sure.

I'm not too worried about the level design just yet. I just want to know if the d-pad inertia thing if fixed once and for all.

Agreed. It's a bit annoying that they're making each Episode a totally independent game. E2 is in no way related to E1 beyond the Metal Sonic teaser. What's the point?

They likely had it planned to connect more but after the shit storm of disappointment in episode 1 the plans changed.

Edited by speedfreak

Like they did with E1?

... Touche. Still, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and wait to see if the frequency of springs and boosters persists in the later levels.

I know it's not easy to make out, but I'm sure I can hear cats. :[ I don't suppose there's any chance the first level happens to be more automated and straightforward because it's 'a tutorial level'... /greenhillgenerationsexcuse

^ Look, I can do optimism. (Well, I tried =p)

Edited by Lungo

At 0:17 you can see the homing attack can still be used for bursts of speed, like in Episode 1.

Have we had a first stage before that had an underwater section which could kill you?

Only for a 'first' stage. That's a lot of traps and things there which want to kill you.

• Thumbs Up 3

For God's sake, this camera just won't stop shaking! I can understand not being able to keep it in one place or anything, but sheesh.

Anyways, as for the release date, I'm actually surprised it's supposed to be around March/April. I was honestly expecting nothing earlier of May or something. Hopefully the game got all the time it needed it order to be good. With the way it looked, I think it looks like it has better gameplay mechanics over Episode 1, but just as much replay ability. I'll probably still pick it up anyways.

Why does Sonic give off sparkles every time he hits a spring, spins or reaches full speed/wheel-o-feet?.

Why does Sonic give off sparkles every time he hits a spring, spins or reaches full speed/wheel-o-feet?.

Residual Chaos Energy...same stuff that turned his eyes green. tongue.png

Edited by Spooky Mulder
  • Thumbs Up 2

Does look rather simple, but that may change as the game advances. Dissapointed by the dying cat music, but it won't ruin the entire game.

Finally, gotta love how it ends with Tails being horridly stupid, just like in 1992.

The website is called Phandroid? Dammit. Was gonna use that as my next username.

Edited by Phantomime

Sparkles have been coming out of springs for years. The other times, you're just mistaking Sonic sparkling for rings sparkling I think.

Because someone on the dev team thought that the best way to make Sonic 4 is to make it as different from Sonic 1-3&K as physically possible while still being a traditional 2D Sonic game, I guess. I can't think of any other possible reason. tongue.png

Edit: Oh, it was just the rings? Disregard this, then. It's not like I have a shortage of things to make snide remarks at. xP

Edited by Dissident

o you have to homing attack at that spring. Tails can't HA. Gets stuck.

Programming gold!

EDIT:

Even the fucking Spindash sound-effect is wrong.

So much fail.

Edited by Michael Myers
  • Thumbs Up 7

o you have to homing attack at that spring. Tails can't HA. Gets stuck.

Programming gold!

Ah, so this is why we can't play as Tails. "There's a spring you need to HA on in the first stage, therefore it would not be possible for Tails to complete the game." Watch that be the official reason. Tails would break the game.

This footage really is saying this to me. There are some very evident improvements, but there's a more crap going on.

Edited by HYDROCITEE