Awoo.

Sega and NVIDIA announce March release date

StitchRS

Because that would've made sense, we all know ST seem like to lack that most of the time.

The fact that Jun has been the main man for Sonic music since the early days may have had something to do with it as well.

At this point, I've stopped caring about the physics. The game could have the best physics ever witnessed by mankind and the game would still be crap.

The physics are a tool to be utilized by the level design; that's what makes the classics as amazing as they are. The ability to accelerate extremely quickly while rolling down a hill is cool, but it's what they do with that ability that encompasses what the classic style of gameplay is all about. When I'm being tossed around by springs and boosters like a hot potato, it's not only completely missing the point of a good physics engine; it's keeping me from actually, you know, playing the freaking game. Taking control away from me doesn't make the game more exciting, Dumps. It makes any attempt to play the game incredibly jarring and inconsistent.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 7

Because that would've made sense, we all know ST seem like to lack that most of the time.

But-I tha...fuck it. I'm gonna log off, go to youtube, listen to some Party in your bedroom Genesis mix, and log back on in about 2 hours. I really need to go and cool off right now.

Am I the only one not totally offended by the video? The automated section in the middle kinda sucks (Hell, it really sucks and is completely unnecessary), but the video as a whole showed a solid bit of level design, nice visuals and a cool title card, so that's something. It looks like a definite improvement over Episode I, if it's still a bit rough around the edges. I'm not really thrilled about team abilities, for one. You shouldn't have to do some sort of super roll to get up a ramp, that's ridiculous and very un-Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 5

Okay, I watched the video for a third and fourth time, but I'm not seeing anything that grinds my (Mad) gears. I'm really trying to hate this game, guys, honest. tongue.png

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think that's because they made the loading screen and the title card one in the same.

Wow, talk about a mixed bag there. You get quick loading times, but little time to read where what stage you're in.

Kinda funny, actually. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, I watched the video for a third and fourth time, but I'm not seeing anything that grinds my (Mad) gears. I'm really trying to hate this game, guys, honest. tongue.png

Good, I honestly wish I wasn't so damn critical at my age because I know if I saw this a few years ago I'd bug out, especially after such masterpieces like Shadow and Sonic '06.

• Thumbs Up 5

I hate how much they tried to play to the classic fans with this game's marketing; saying that they'd fix all the problems with the first Episode to make something that at least partially resembles a game worth calling 'Sonic 4' only to then crush any hopes and expectations we had of the game.

Yes I know the hype machine is a powerful selling tool but why not just state from the beginning that they were keeping the Episode 1 gameplay rather than build everyone up with false hope only to inevitably disappoint us later on down the line? GRRRRRRR

Honestly, I don't think it looks TOO bad. Well I'll definitely say that the levels look nice. I guess that's pretty much the only thing I can say right now. At the very least, I say it'll probably be a mediocre game, but I'll probably give it a try regardless. I'm terrible at first impressions most of the time until I actually play some form of the game. So i'll be waiting for a demo i guess.

Good, I honestly wish I wasn't so damn critical at my age because I know if I saw this a few years ago I'd bug out, especially after such masterpieces like Shadow and Sonic '06.

HA! I was reading Retro and saw a post that I thought "hey, Solid SOAP would agree with this guy!" then I realized it was you. Derp.

But yeah, I was actually getting a bit excited watching the video. First off, it's a first stage. May be the second episode, but given all the new moves they're going to keep things simple and throw all the new obstacles at you in the first minute. Also, that red ring at the 8 second mark got me interested in what alternate paths they might have.

I never was worked up either way about episode 2 to begin with. My only interest in this game from the beginning was Tails, and I would have gotten this game anyway (at least during a sale) just to mess around with him solo.

The game looks terrible to me, but big deal. I'll wait for the next Sonic game or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hate how much they tried to play to the classic fans with this game's marketing; saying that they'd fix all the problems with the first Episode to make something that at least partially resembles a game worth calling 'Sonic 4' only to then crush any hopes and expectations we had of the game.

Yes I know the hype machine is a powerful selling tool but why not just state from the beginning that they were keeping the Episode 1 gameplay rather than build everyone up with false hope only to inevitably disappoint us later on down the line? GRRRRRRR

Yes, let's tell the most diehard part of the fanbase that they're rehashing the gameplay they hated so much,. I can kind of understand why he said that, and If I was him I would've said the same, but I would've actually delivered on what I promised instead spouting crap you know isn't true.

At this point, I've stopped caring about the physics. The game could have the best physics ever witnessed by mankind and the game would still be crap.

The physics are a tool to be utilized by the level design; that's what makes the classics as amazing as they are. The ability to accelerate extremely quickly while rolling down a hill is cool, but it's what they do with that ability that encompasses what the classic style of gameplay is all about. When I'm being tossed around by springs and boosters like a hot potato, it's not only completely missing the point of a good physics engine; it's keeping me from actually, you know, playing the freaking game. Taking control away from me doesn't make the game more exciting, Dumps. It makes any attempt to play the game incredibly jarring and inconsistent.

Edited by Machenstein
  • Thumbs Up 2

To me, I always just liked the tiered level design, multiple paths, etc. That's why I liked Classic Sonic in Generations and Colors, when many slammed the games. I never really "grew up" with the Genesis games per say, I played them at my cousins' house and I bought Mega Collection and loved them. My main problem with Episode I was that it just wasn't "fun" to play. The level design was okay, but Sonic was slow as shit and he was stiff and it sucked. Maybe it's just my rose tinted glasses, but Sonic seems much faster this time around, and I'm spotting lots of alternate paths. Ideally, I would love a more true to form Genesis-type game, but if they manage to fulfill my expectations (Less stiff Sonic, tiered level design, fun and varied levels) then I'll be relatively happy.

It all just sucks that no matter how good this is, it's gonna be 4-5 stages long. No matter how good it could possibly be, it's gonna take an hour to beat.

Well, let me explain why I like this game:

Inertia drop is fixed

Uncurling is fixed

Rolling gives you speed

You can't walk up walls

You can't stand up walls

Combo moves look fun

Levels look cool

Gameplay looks fun and solid

SO YEAH. For those reasons I like the game. I'll just leave it at that and leave people to criticisms, ta ta~

...how can you tell all of that from this one tiny piece of off-screen footage? Well, the standing/walking on walls part mostly.

...how can you tell all of that from this one tiny piece of off-screen footage? Well, the standing/walking on walls part mostly.

Endri.

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 5

Hmm. Fair enough, can't complain there! Glad to hear the physics are fixed then, it's just the boosters I still have a problem with! It seems like they're putting these new physics to waste by dotting boosters everywhere. D:

The same way everyone seems to be able to deduce that the entire game is springs and boost pads.

Easily lead yourselves to believe that everything told to you by first hand account was a lie yet when people present evidence showing otherwise suddenly we're making bold claims.

I never said the whole game was springs and boosts...though I still stand by my point that a lot of that footage looked like it was literally 'hold right to win'. And that there are still too many boosters than needed.

Evidence that suggests that the game will be great: Testimonials.

Evidence that suggests the level design will be exactly the same as Ep. 1: All video footage we've been shown and some screenshots.

I'll believe in what I can see, thanks. I've been blatantly lied to before, and I'm not letting it happen again.

Edited by Dissident
  • Thumbs Up 5

Evidence that suggests the level design will be exactly the same as Ep. 1: All video footage we've been shown and some screenshots.

I'll believe in what I can see, thanks. I've been blatantly lied to before, and I'm not letting it happen again.

I ran out of likes, but this is genuinely how I feel.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fair enough, bronik. But can we at least just refrain from saying that the sky is falling until we get more hands-on impressions and more than 30 seconds of shakey cam and ADD trailers, eh? tongue.png

Edited by Indigo Rush
  • Thumbs Up 3

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2012/02/sonic-4-episode-2-japanese-website-now-open-new-screenshots/

A complete figment of my imagination. Not there, no sirry, nothing but springs and boosters!