Awoo.

How would you redesign Sonic?

Cyrus

Imagine you're Naoto Oshima, sitting in his desk, coming up with a new design for the blue blur. How would you draw it? (Yes, I know this is a topic on Sonic Retro, but I wanna see the creativity of you guys, here at TSS.)

I wouldn't. I like Sonic the way he is right now. The Sonic Unleashed/Generations design still remains my favorite design for modern Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't change him. His new design is just as good as the original.

I don't see the point in changing his design again.

All the fans would complain about it all over again.

I wouldn't.

Everyone looks fine, dammit.

Everyone is even more used to the new designs than the old ones.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If I were to redesign Sonic, he'd still be a blue hedgehog with red shoes. I'd alter his shoes a bit, making them look more like high tops, with a slick design. As a reference to him eating chili-dogs again, like in Black Night and Generations, he'd have a bit of a pot-belly, kind of like how his it looked like in Sonic Adventure; not too big, not to thin. I'd make his ears bigger, but not like Rouge the Bat big, but like Tails' ears. He'd be taller, of course, have a longer tail, but not too long or floppy, like a cat's tail, but like 6" long and is stiff, like a dog's. It would be something that Roger C Smith's Sonic voice can fit. Of course, he'd still have green eyes, red shoes, gloves, blue fur and peach colored skin.

I'll post a link to a drawing of it when I make it.

Why is Sonic getting a redesign?

Same as generations/colors without the ass between his eyes. Other than that I like the way he is now.

Edit: And the dimples

Edited by Jetronic

I'm not saying I think Sonic should be redesigned, I love his current look, I just wanna see how you guys would do it.

I'm not saying I think Sonic should be redesigned, I love his current look, I just wanna see how you guys would do it.

Edited by Balding Spider

Spikier. Sonic really doesn't look sharp anymore; his spikes almost seem fleshy.

Not sure if I'd still like it after seeing it a hundred times, but I ran across this pic a while back and I kind of dig the big mass of spikes.

Aside from that, I'm pretty good with his current design.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to say this not as a mod action, but as a suggestion:

Rather than fill up this topic with countless replies of "I wouldn't," how about you guys just have fun for a change by at least putting forth theoretical ideas, or even posting your own personal rendition of Sonic?

Speaking of, the topic over at Retro had a rendition of Sonic that's done in Bill Watterson's style. Nothing can top that.

EDIT: Okay yeah, this is officially me saying this as a mod since this is clearly the topic starter's intention.

• Thumbs Up 7

Same as generations/colors without the ass between his eyes. Other than that I like the way he is now.

Edit: And the dimples

Edited by Jetronic

I actually thought the CG character models in the Riders games (excluding Free Riders) was pretty damn ugly, they looked like ragdolls.

I actually thought the CG character models in the Riders games (excluding Free Riders) was pretty damn ugly, they looked like ragdolls.

They were hideous. I was talking about the in-game stuff, which was even more hideous but full of expressions.

• Thumbs Up 7

Honestly?

Classic_Sonic_3d.png

Now, now...before anyone just down my throat saying "BAAAWWW CLASSIC FANBOY", no. I love the Modern design too.

The reason I'd go back to a (read: not the) Classic style is because it's a thousand times more timeless than Modern's design. It's got that bouncy, lively feel to it that's made Mickey Mouse, Felix the Cat etc.'s design so instantly recognisable and (most importantly) fun. As good as the modern design is for the character, Modern Sonic can just look so lifeless sometimes. Like in his Generations finger wag pose, for instance.

I will update this space with a comedic interpretation soon enough. For now you'll have to settle with my (badly-in-need-of-updating) avatar.

Edited by Swiss
  • Thumbs Up 9

Sonic should definitely be spikier. I don't hate the modern design, since it had already debuted when I found the series. However, I have to agree that Sonic's quills don't seem like quills at all.

I really like this design. It's sort of a Classic-Modern hybrid.

25oz6kw.jpg

I think there's something really charming about the Classic design that's been lost in the Modern one. Not to say the Modern one is bad--its not. But I see this design and I just see something that the current design lacks. Merging the two, gives us the best of both worlds

Edited by Spooky Mulder
  • Thumbs Up 6

Sonic should definitely be spikier. I don't hate the modern design, since it had already debuted when I found the series. However, I have to agree that Sonic's quills don't seem like quills at all.

I really like this design. It's sort of a Classic-Modern hybrid.

25oz6kw.jpg

I think there's something really charming about the Classic design that's been lost in the Modern one. Not to say the Modern one is bad--its not. But I see this design and I just see something that the current design lacks. Merging the two, gives us the best of both worlds

Damn that is sexy

Sonic4.jpg

I've always loved this 1994 design

• Thumbs Up 2