Awoo.

How would you redesign Sonic?

Cyrus

Outside of maybe fixing/removing the buttbrow and dimples, as Jetronic had suggested, I wouldn't really change a thing. I'm perfectly fine with his current design; I just think his face need to emote more.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm pretty fine with the design he has had in Unleashed-Colors-Gens. There are a few details that I would change, like either eliminating the "asscrack" on the face, or letting it move around more like in the NotW screens that got posted.

Though for some reason the renders for Sonic 4 also have some details that bother me. Mostly the weird smile.

Edited by Ekaje

At the risk of having rotten produce thown at me.

Sonic3_cover.jpg

I was a 90s kid, and what were the 90s Mostly comprised of?

EXTREME

RADICALNESS

Western Sonic was obviously meant to cater to the sugar exposed youth of the 90s, at least in America. So instead of just using his somewhat pudgy, round, and cuter Japanese design, they made him edgy, cool, and hip for the kids. It's a pretty dated design but I still find it kinda endearing in a nostalgic way. He represents a simpler time for me, when life wasnt so complcated and I could just focus all my attention on things like a speedy blue rodent.

So here's to you Western, the most way past cool 90s Mascot.

Disclaimer: I still prefer Modern and Japan Sonic over this one, just to be clear.

Edited by Groosenator032
  • Thumbs Up 2

At the risk of having rotten produce thown at me.

Sonic3_cover.jpg

Western Sonic was obviously meant to cater to the sugar exposed youth of the 90s, at least in America. So instead of just using his somewhat pudgy, round, and cuter Japanese design, they made him edgy, cool, and hip for the kids. Its a pretty dated design but I still find it kinda endearing in a nostalgic way.

His shoes seem to change every so often (Sonic CD he got buckles, Sonic Adventure the sneakers were introduced, Sonic Adventure 2 he had SOAP shoes) so I'd probably cut his height down and give him some new kicks.. maybe a small power ring emblem at the ankles of something

RE: "Best of Both Worlds"

One thing that I've noticed by looking at (and attempting to draw scribble) so-called "in between" Sonic designs is that they generally look like a re-run Sonic Unleashed's or Sonic CD's design. After thinking about it, I've decided this is because the differences between Sonic's two designs are obvious, yet they're done so minimally and with such subtlety that there's no way to reach a complete middle ground. If you go for the positives of one fragment of one design, you sacrifice the positives of the other.

Take, for instance, the body shape. What I -and a lot of people- love about the classic look is he has that... well, "classic" look to him. This is mostly due to the rounder tummy, making for a more 1930's Disney-esque construction. Meanwhile, what I -and a lot of people- like about the modern look is he has that more "athletic" feel to him, and translates better into 3D movement. This is due to the more oval-shaped tummy. Well, how do you combine an oval with a circle? Unfortunately, it's impossible. It's either one or the other, with the positives and negatives that come with either look.

Now look at the quills. What a lot of people like about the shorter -and generally stiffer- quills is that it makes for a very "structured", sharp look, where the head silhouette is always the same. Think Mickey Mouse's ears; it's a good to have on a iconic character. But on the modern design, you have longer, more free-flowing quills, which better help demonstrate movement (and, sometimes, emotion, as Verte pointed out). Without hair or clothing, Sonic doesn't have anywhere but the quills to put that movement- and I think demonstrating motion is a good thing, especially on a character described like "the wind".

How could you find a mid-way point? If you shorten the quills but still have them move, the motion wouldn't be as obvious or expressive as when the quills were longer, and you sacrifice that "sharper" appearance some people prefer in favour of "floppiness". Whereas if you keep them longer but remove any motion to them, Sonic loses his only place to show movement and some people will still find the size too "loose" looking.

Finding a complete mix of designs that truly brings the overall best of both is impossible- going for one person's favourite part of a design thing means alienating another person's favourite part. There's pros and cons to both of Sonic's appearances, they are both terrifically done for different reasons. Ice cream is great. Pizza is great. But if you mix the two... you just lose a lot of things that made them so great in the first place.

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 4

If I HAD to redesign Sonic, the only thing I would change about him is his constant scowl. You'd think his head were actually a perpetually scowling cowl similar to Batman in the movies, with the angry lines built into the front.

...And maybe it's just me, but I miss his Soap Shoes.

• Thumbs Up 2

19th.jpg

unfinished art work but yeah, this is how i normally draw Sonic since i'm in love with Converse shoes, so i gave Sonic his own, i'm also a bigger fan of his modern look post-Unleashed Era, i always enjoyed his SA/SA2 Art look a lot more than his current design.. more edgier and sharp.

this is old work btw, so please don't point out the flaws haha

• Thumbs Up 8

Not so much of a redesign, but I would give male Sonic characters some clothes like a shirt and some paints and new gloves.

It'd be an optional thing tho; just like how some games show your character in the outfit you chose for them for all cutscenes and scenarios, the player would have the choice to switch between "naked" Sonic and clothed Sonic and both looks would be canon with very little attention drawn to the fact that Sonic is now wearing clothes or the attention will be incredibly vague on what it's referring to. If possible, I'd personally like to bring back the SOAP shoes for him.

I've always imagined Sonic with some kind of eye visor as well, mainly because of some fan artists who made them. I thought it would be cool if Sonic actually had one for himself, and find some story use for it.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I'd bring back the classic flesh colored eye-lids, but I wouldn't change anything else.

Actually I'd bring back the flesh colored eye-lids for all the hedgehogs and echidnas (including the ones that never had them... well, I consider leaving out Shadow to keep his fur colored ones).

It's just a personal preference.

Oh, I can think of a couple of things to do to him.

First I would make him mainly mute. Silence can be golden and expression is universal. Speech is fine, but it holds stronger when it is used for occasion.

Then I would give him a bit more of a pudgy figure and tone down his attitude, since I am trying to create a leitmotif that is not as expected from a hero retaining a semi-cute air. Make him a jack-of-all trades but with a humble heart and make sure he's not too overpowered. Let him have outside help in the form of power-ups, though.

From this I would make him a bit older, oh... about into his middle-age since it is the border between being seasoned and youthful. This way he can appeal to people who grow up playing his games and anyone of all ages.

Clothing makes the hedgehog. I would give him a trademan's uniform from a blue collar worker, since it goes with the uncommon theme. Warmer hues are absolutely a great choice because of the social implications the tones hold in culture - big, bold and strong.

Facial hair would be nice too. Something definitive and striking. Being a human might have a bit of an advantage, though since we as a species readily identify with our own, so that could be a good idea.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if my re imagining would move games off the shelves though.

Am I doing it right, guys?

370px-MarioNP1.png

• Thumbs Up 4

For the most part, I wouldn't change him. As said earlier, fix his butt-brows; and PLEASE fix his mouth in his recent renders, they just look terrible (namely referring to his mouth in some of the Sonic 4/Generations posing renders)

I'd also make him somewhat of a combination of his classic and modern design, like this concept art for modern Sonic:

Sonic-Generations-Collection-screenshots-2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't know how much I'd redesign Sonic. But if I was in charge, I'd stop giving him botox. Seriously. In the games and renders his eyebrows barely move. It's so annoying. NoTW got it right.

notw09.pngnotw01.pngnotw02.pngnotw08.pngnotw03.png

He and everyone else look so much better for it. And heck, they managed it for Classic in Generations, and for everyone in Riders even. Why is everyone so expressionless now?

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, first of all I'd make him look like SA, SA2, or 2006. And then I've got a bit crazy idea to give him white fur everywhere people have it, except head.

Those pics are from NoTW, which I said got it right.

Still, none of the characters look expressionless in game.