Awoo.

How would you redesign Sonic?

Cyrus

Honestly Amy's crotch is so nondescriptly modeled the panty shots have never bothered me. Though I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more hanging-down/floaty-ness to her dress even if her sillouhette would have to be sacrificed for it. Or they should just have her legs absorb into the bottom of the dress, Peach/Daisy Mario Kart DD style.

Edited by JezMM

What I meant to say is I'm fine with Amy now, but she seems rather bland to me. I dunno, just give her pants or something. No more pantie shots, please.

Maybe change her outfit to compliment her fur color, like blue or green. (Much like Sonic's red shoes compliment his blue fur.)

I'm not going to get in game screenshots because that would be a nightmare. I'll just leave that at Sonic (and everyone's) eyes are always in the same position. The hardly move. Now as for the renders...

Here's a bunch of Sonic renders:

facesnormal.jpg

They all look fine, no? But if you get rid of the mouths, then his eyes tell you nothing or he just looks perma-scowling because of the way they go:

facesnomouth.jpg

So much so that you can interpret his expression completely differently (no.3 is just lulz though):

facesnew.jpg

Let's play a game! Try and find the source pics for the new mouths

:P Some are easier than others

Even without a mouth, I can still identify his expression. End of discussion,

Oh hey, this thread! I had a lot of my art on the Retro version, some of it without I even noticing it, but here's the design I use for my personal uses:

tumblr_lwk997jkQ71qmot0io1_400.gif

Someone mentioned Classic Sonic is best because he's timeless, bouncy, cartoony. I ask- why not add that to Modern instead of going back to Classic? Not that that's what I've done here, my own design is basically "I like the OVA's face and Adventure's body".

Now Amy? There's something I'd redesign.

It looks like the Mr. Needlemouse napkin art that Oshima made. (No, not the derpy one.)

Even without a mouth, I can still identify his expression. End of discussion,

Really? Especially with number one, you can see all of the expression is coming from the mouth.

I drew this a good while ago, but I still think this is a good design:

Sonic___Indigo_Style_by_IndigoRush101.png

I might want to shorten his spines a bit, but the general idea is to give Sonic a more "spikey" appearance while emphasizing his more cartoony expressions.

• Thumbs Up 1

CollectionItem_043.png

I'd bring back this old design and actually use it. That'll make both the Modern AND Classic fanboys happy.

• Thumbs Up 3

CollectionItem_043.png

I'd bring back this old design and actually use it. That'll make both the Modern AND Classic fanboys happy.

Toss in some green eyes and I'm game.

Edited by Indigo Rush

Toss in some green eyes and I'm game.

Then he'd basically be SA1 Sonic.

I like Amy's design too. There's a lot of cool looking redesigns of her out there but often they end up looking really cluttered. Her current design has a really nice sillouhette and is very striking - just like a Sonic character design should be. Her classic design had a really ugly palette.

A lot of redesigns tend to give her trousers too or make her look almost punk-ish, but I like her in a skirt. She's a really girly girl so it suits her.

I always pictured Amy at having a different outfit in every game to show the fashion side of her a bit more.

To echo some folks here, I'd go for a more expressive and dynamic Sonic. Maybe not in his overall design, though I was a fan of thick quills.

But mostly in his actions and facial animation. Creating a character to talk more with his movement than his mouth. He looks back at something chasing him, he grins before spinning into something, shakes his head at getting hit repeatedly. Vary his running animation for different contexts. It's hard pin down in words.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I recall this topic on Retro. I had an answer back then, which was basically the OVA Sonic, but with a neck. Yeah.

But that was some time ago. My tastes have changed. Now? Eh, I would love to see Sonic (and Tails, for that matter) look something like this:

sonic_4_episode_2__oh_god_look_at_miles_by_proffessorzolo-d4rh34g.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, I recall this topic on Retro. I had an answer back then, which was basically the OVA Sonic, but with a neck. Yeah.

But that was some time ago. My tastes have changed. Now? Eh, I would love to see Sonic (and Tails, for that matter) look something like this:

Spoiler'd for size.

I liked how bendy Sonic used to be, so I'd like that to be brought back. Y'know, before his multiply jointed legs fused into just having a knee.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler'd for size.

I liked how bendy Sonic used to be, so I'd like that to be brought back. Y'know, before his multiply jointed legs fused into just having a knee.

Edited by Samus Aran

Lol, I can see where you were going with Tails. He kind of invokes a nerdy little kid brother now, which is cute.

Edited by JezMM

Spoiler'd for size.

Edited by Marcellove

I came to see if anyone had done the cute thing of posting a picture of Classic Sonic, and it's been done several times, so I'll spare the joke.

I have to say that although I hated Sonic's redesign in Sonic Adventure (the psycho grins gave me nightmares), they seem to have gotten the design down a lot better in recent years (save for smile issues), and is more tolerable.

I don't have any redesign ideas. I just came to be a smarty pants.

I personally wouldn't want him redesigned, but if they were going to change him, I'd like to see this

sonic-cd-sparkles.jpg

Combined with

Sonic-the-Hedgehog-Characters-kingdom-hearts-vs-sonic-the-hedgehog-17088260-233-271.gif

Basically I'd like to see THAT design get updated. Keep the sharp edges and quills on the Sonic CD anime Sonic, but make him look more lean and fit, and like he's built for speed. Also put me on board with the other people who say Sonic should be more animated and expressive. That's part of his style.

But on the subject of the Sonic Adventure redesign: A lot of people want to see classic Sonic in new games and stuff, and they're obviously entitled to their opinion, but he doesn't really translate all that well to 3D as far as I'm concerned. The Sonic Adventure redesigns weren't just about looking hip and new- although that was definitely part of it.

Classic Sonic's thick, compact design makes him really easy to look at and read in 2D. He doesn't take up much space, but he sorta fills it all out, like a big blotch on the screen- in a good way. A lot of videogame characters looked like this back then, and it wasn't just to be cute.

But in Sonic Adventure, a 3D game, the player is viewing Sonic from behind. His animations need to be completely different, and you have to be able to see what he's doing. SEGA took the natural course of action and exaggerated some of his features to make him more readable. When his arms and legs are longer, it's easier to see how much he's moving them. His different body parts don't bleed together.

Regardless, a lot of people see the redesign as tampering with perfection, and there's nothing wrong with thinking that, but I think they did what they had to.

I still like Sonic's current design best.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is really only one character that I would seriously want to redesign.

dark_preview_by_sweecrue-d4rlnf4.jpg

I just wish he was more than a shadow of a shadow.tongue.png

Edited by Sweecrue
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sonic should definitely be spikier. I don't hate the modern design, since it had already debuted when I found the series. However, I have to agree that Sonic's quills don't seem like quills at all.

I really like this design. It's sort of a Classic-Modern hybrid.

25oz6kw.jpg

I think there's something really charming about the Classic design that's been lost in the Modern one. Not to say the Modern one is bad--its not. But I see this design and I just see something that the current design lacks. Merging the two, gives us the best of both worlds

Where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah.

SonicMovieSnapshot3.jpg

Yeah, I always wondered why his design never went that route before.

-------

Anyways, I think I'd give Sonic a shorter set of spikes that are a little more ruffled. I'd also change up the spike on his tail to look a little more exaggerated.

Gonna get hell for this, but I'd also like for him to have sideburns.

• Thumbs Up 1