Awoo.

Spongebob SquarePants 2

Autosaver

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/viacom-paramount-release-spongebob-movie-late-2014-philippe-dauman295695

"We will be releasing a SpongeBob movie at the end of 2014, which will serve to start off or be one of our films that starts off our new animation effort," he told a Deutsche Bank media and telecom investor conference in Palm Beach, Fla. His appearance was webcast.
  • Thumbs Up 1

...Really?

Seriously really? Are they really going through with this? The first movie was great, I loved it. But after Stephen Hillenburg, C.H. Greenblat, and a bunch of other writers left, Spongebob has been very low lately... The characters are now flanderized versions of their earlier potrayals, (The Episode "Gone" was just plain mean spirited.) the gross out humor is much more prevailent,(Squidward's toenail anyone?) and as of recently they've been recycling plots from older episodes.

I have little to no faith in this movie. But it's pretty early, who knows, maybe they'll bring back some of the old writers of the show... If they do that, color me interested. But for now, I don't really care.

Edited by Wayward Vagabond

Am I the only one here who thinks the newer episodes are almost as funny as the earlier ones? I mean, yeah, some of the jokes are dumb, but isn't that what the series humor was like in the first place? Just look at episodes like "Just One Bite".

I dunno, I guess I just have a different sense of humor.

Here's how I see it:

1st and 2nd season - Fantastic kids' show that has some moments that are still funny to this day.

3rd season - Almost as good as the first two, but it started getting a bit more...ridiculous. I know that's kind of a weird way to criticize a show about a talking sponge and a squirrel who lives underwater, but that's the only word that comes to mind. Still good though.

Movie - I thought it was pretty good. Not amazing, but it did a decent job of bringing it to the big screen.

4th season through current - Absolutely terrible. It should have ended after the movie. The writing is horrible, the characters have been made much less interesting, the humor resorts to gross-out moments and awful songs, and the jokes are almost never even remotely funny. I'm guessing it's because Stephen Hillenburg isn't in as much control over the series anymore, and several of the original writers aren't working on it anymore. I feel sorry that the younger generation of kids gets to see this instead of the hilarious first 3 seasons. Granted they still show re-runs of those, but we've reached a point where the bad episodes unfortunately outnumber the good ones about 3 to 1.

I dunno. It should have ended after the movie, but if they are still going in a 9th season, I don't see any reason for them to stop now. If kids weren't watching it, it would have been cancelled, so I guess they still enjoy it. It doesn't really matter what the older crowd thinks. I doubt the movie is going to be any good.

Oh wow, never expected to see a second Spongebob movie.

C'mon, gang, let's use our POSITIVE ENERGY! The first movie was awesome! This sequel might be good! I could be right, right?

And hey! There's a chance this will be the sendoff that the yellow man was supposed to have in 2004, right? They might stop milking this cow, right?

... Riiiiiight?

• Thumbs Up 4

You're missing that the old episodes had clever writing and likable characters with actual personalities. Which has now devolved to gross-out humor and xD LOOK HOW STUPID SPONGEBOB AND PATRICK ARE AND SQUIDWARD IS THEIR BUTTMONKEY LOL.

Edited by Red Cap-Blue Spikes

Gross-out humor relies on being disgusting to be funny, while those actually have jokes behind them. "Closer than brothers," "pranking a guy who wants free food," "Squidward being too proud to admit to liking Krabby Patties," etc. Sure they can be icky, but they amount to more than "lol that's disgusting xDDD"

• Thumbs Up 6

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I've always wondered what they would do for a sequel. Given the higher quality of Seasons 7 and 8 compared to 4, 5, and 6 (Thanks in no small part to Doug Lawrence returning to the writing staff.), I'm confident that it'll be enjoyable. Looking forward to it! :)

They just couldn't stop.

It seems like, after the movie, everything just started going downhill with this show. What used to be some really clever writing along with colorful characters and wacky scenarios has honestly just turned into this show of annoying dialogue and unfunny jokes or even some pop references at times. Nick really should have just quit while they were ahead, I mean, I know they're probably still going with this for the fact that it's still a hit with the younger audience, but..now it's just bad.

The only thing I can really say I'm curious for is the new animation that they mentioned. They've been polishing out the colors and drawings for years now, but I think that should be interesting.

Exactly. And let's not forget those wonderful animation gags, such as when the cartoonists would create a grossly over-detailed image to complement a joke.

tumblr_l4a3zpjWES1qzueujo1_400.jpg

fleb_spongebob_squidward-EPIC-frown.jpg

I miss stuff like that.

Maybe they'll put actual effort into this one, and try to do some sort of re-boot. We can always hope that they might bring back some of the original writer's from the first 3 seasons.

You didn't like riding the Hasselhoff?!? dood ur crazi

What's funny is that was my favorite part of the movie.

What kinda suprises me about this news is that it's set for release 10 years after the first movie. Yet at the same time this just further proves Nick is still too dependant on this series.