Awoo.

Spongebob SquarePants 2

Autosaver

Off-topic to get it off my chest:

Don't even remind me... I had this friend who was a massive fanboy of iCarly and similar shows in Nick. But not fanboy by loving it a lot, fanboy in the sense he would be rude and violent with anybody who disliked the show... and said video games were a waste of time.

So I'm not really a fan of this new movie. While I throughly enjoyed the later season, I truly think it's time to end it. But not with a killer finale; with a subtle cancellation. Think about it. A finale would leave our hearts sad and the show sore. But many cartoons which simply ended are still cult classics. I feel bad mostly for my dad, who would cry if there was such an ending to the show... and that's really bad.

Is it? I would love for the series to end on a high note with a fantastic finale movie for the yellow sponge, honestly.

I really don't want them to just suddenly cancel it because a series like Spongebob just wouldn't feel right going off the radar without a blip.

And I can't really tell how your Dad could react, but maybe on the other side he'll cry because Spongebob ended on such a good note? I think older fans of the series could appreciate this move for that very reason so much more.

OH GOD MY EYES.

What the fuck was THAT?! I mean, was that supposed to be funny? I could see little kids being scared shitless of some of those faces!

I could see old episodes doing that a lot better honestly, with how sometimes they had those photo-realistic shots of certain things to put emphasis on it. This could have definitely worked with that, and they turned it down from 11.

• Thumbs Up 1

Randomly thought about the show and was wondering if the Season 4 writers could really pull off a good movie. So I just decided to watch some episodes/clips on Youtube.

Came across (weird) ones like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GZM6t6jU8k&feature=related

And that, friends, is why I stopped watching this show. Post-season 3 SpongeBob is even worse than post-season 2 Ren & Stimpy, with all of the same faults. It thinks that if it's WEIRD and ZANY and CARAAAAZY, it's automatically funny and can thus forsake such inconsequential things as witty writing and comedic timing.

I do not have high expectations for this film.

Edited by T-Man

>Assumes that all humor is identical to the contents of a three minute clip.

>Assumes that all humor is identical to the contents of a three minute clip.

The sad thing is, this clip pretty much indicates everything the series is about anymore. Loads of grossout humor and poor attempts at slapstick, with recycled plots and poor characterization everywhere. Do I even need to remind everyone of this?

The_splinter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

The sad thing is, this clip pretty much indicates everything the series is about anymore. Loads of grossout humor and poor attempts at slapstick, with recycled plots and poor characterization everywhere. Do I even need to remind everyone of this?

This pretty much what I think of the series nowadays... Blech, what possessed them to make that and the toenail scene so grotesque? It's as if they're trying to imitate Ren and Stimpy and doing a very bad job at it. The recycling of plots is another thing that annoyed me for quite sometime.. I believe they reused the "Spongebob becoming more assertive" plot as of recently. And don't get me started on the characterization... I believe Mrs. Puff actually attempts to kill Spongebob in one episode and that really didn't sit well with me.

While post season 3 eps have given me a laugh a very few times (If only for how 'lolsorandom' they try to be, such as "Sorry for the Scabbies," and "The Power WIthin.") I've really grown out of Spongebob, only watching it if I want some sound in my quiet room.

Edited by Lyra Heartstrings

Eh, I disagree. That was two seasons ago and there really hasn't been as much of it recently. I've definitely found stuff like "Mermaid Man Begins" and "Bubble Buddy Returns" to be a lot funnier than "The Splinter" or "Giant Squidward."

Edited by Christmascontrol14

Eh, I disagree. That was two seasons ago and there really hasn't been as much of it recently. I've definitely found stuff like "Mermaid Man Begins" and "Bubble Buddy Returns" to be a lot funnier than "The Splinter" or "Giant Squidward."

You're completely right, there's a definite improvement in the most recent episodes. Though, they still can't match the originals in terms of quality and writing. A good example is "Demolition Doofus", where Mrs. Puff purposely tries to kill Spongebob, which is incredibly out of character for her.

One of the things that made the original series great was all of the creative input, some of the best cartoonists and writers out there worked on the show and many of them went on to make their own series, like C.H. Greenblatt, who had a large role working on some of the most popular episodes and went on to make his own series "Chowder", among many other people who went down the same road. The originals felt like a labor of love and many creative minds came together to make a single episode, while the newest installments feel lifeless and on many occasions rely on Grossout humor (The Splinter) or Nostalgia (Bubble Buddy Returns, which has almost nothing to do with Bubble Buddy) to carry on the series.

I'll give them credit, some of the Post-Movie episodes had their moments. "The Power Within" in particular was pretty hilarious, showing the the series can still be good if they actually tried. But even if the series improves to the point where it can match the originals in terms of quality, that will hardly make a difference because so many bad episodes have left a stain on the series that will never go away. People are still going to associate the show with the worst episodes and how hard it's fallen.

• Thumbs Up 9

So here are the credits of the film so far.

Director: Paul Tibbitt

Writers: Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger

Producer: Mary Parent

Executive Producer: Stephen Hillburg

Turns out I was wrong about them having Stephen Hillburg (the original creator of the show and director of the movie) as the director, he's instead merely the "Executive Producer," from which I have a bad feeling that it will more or less be the equivalent of Joseph Barbera's "Creative Consultant" role for Tom and Jerry: The Movie. >_>

Although Paul Tibbitt is also one of the writers/artists of the pre-movie episodes and the movie, in later/current seasons he now only servs as supervising producer and executive producer for new seasons.

Mixed feelings for Mary Parent-her career as a (executive) producer has been hit and miss, but her most recent film was Role Models, though, and her current roles as a producer for two upcoming films sounds promising (Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim and Darren Aronofsky's Noah).

The writers don't seem to have worked on the show before, but they have doe other work. I'll bring it up in another post later.

• 7 months later...

Wow that really is buttfucking nothing.

Like even by teaser standards holy shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

New trailer out, tells us butt-fucking nothing.

[Trailer]

The teaser for the original movie didn't tell us much either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2So1QoUBpI

Still more entertaining though..

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 3

Huh. That was just clips from the first one... Nothing at all...

Though, when they say "The greatest story ever told... Again", that doesn't shout "Originality!" at me... But of course this is nothing, just bad word choice? Certainly think so.

I get the feeling that they are just going to be copying a whole lot from the first one and just add a few things to make it "different."

I quite enjoyed the first movie. Hopefully the writing is better than it is in the newer episodes.

I quite enjoyed the first movie. Hopefully the writing is better than it is in the newer episodes.

Don't get your hopes up, a good lot of the modern writers will be returning for the sequel. This COULD be nice, but that loveless trailer so far seems to prove otherwise.

• Thumbs Up 3

Don't get your hopes up, a good lot of the modern writers will be returning for the sequel. This COULD be nice, but that loveless trailer so far seems to prove otherwise.

Yikes. I'll still check out the movie, but this certainly lowers my expectations.

I liked the first movie, but I don't know if this one will be any good. At least the first one still had the original writers of the show...in fact Spongebob went downhill right after the movie!

New trailer out, tells us butt-fucking nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqCYV9sTRJs

tumblr_mi30b3m0ra1rxwuovo1_250.gif

Also it's quite obvious this trailer was made ages ago, why would they still be using the former Paramount logo instead of the new one? Same goes for the brief "This following trailer is for _____ audiences" screencap. there's literally not one iota of effort or creativity put into this compared to the teaser of the first. What was the point of throwing up some old hat clips from the first film and rush it out as a "teaser"? To generate some quick early hype? Or considering the rumors that the animation will be CG and whatnot, to avoid starting a internet shitstorm? This could easily be mistaken as a  fake trailer (and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it was).