Awoo.

Attitude Adjustment

Rusty Spy

Again, I never said Sonic should be a Dante clone, though I'd be lying if I said he couldn't take a few notes from the latter. I know that Sonic and Dante are wildly different characters, but it's their attitude that makes the connection. I feel that Dante's arrogant, wisecracking demeanor is pulled off a lot better than Sonic, which is why I made that comparison in the first place.

The rest of your post however doesn't really address the actual topic. Your points only relate to Sonic superficially, not how they affect Sonic's portrayal.

Phos has the right idea, and I can agree, though I'd like to hear how that can be conveyed in the games.

That's mainly because there's not a lot that has been done to anger him. The most angry we've ever seen Sonic is SA2 when he was about to attack Shadow the first time they met, and it was for good reason; his whole heroic reputation was completely destroyed in the eyes of the world due to being framed for something he didn't do.

Aside from that, everything else hasn't had much of an intent to anger him. So I don't think it's that it's hard to anger than it is that not enough as been done to anger him...although I guess that only adds to the former when there isn't a lot to anger him anyway.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think if Sega wants Sonic to have 'silly' moments..which he should;

I think they should go for something like how Rainbowdash is portrayed, of course, she's not an exact fit for SegaSonic, I mean, it wouldn't be too outlandish for him, but Rainbowdash and Sonic (well gameseries-Sonic, since Rainbowdash could easily be another incarnation of him) should have some sort of independence.

You likely wouldn't catch Sonic talking about a dress either, but this is the sort of remark that would look good on Sonic.

Rainbowdash is an adorable fuzzy animal with ATTITUDE, arrogant, she's athletic and hyper one moment and surprisingly lazy the next, aloof... and yet somehow manages to be hot-tempered at the same time, she has a slight sarcastic and slight jerk streak, very much like how I like to see Sonic. Other characters tease her for her arrogance and 'exxtreeeme cooool' mannerisms, she isn't a 'silly' character as such, but has her moments, she does stupid things to protect her massive ego and she beats herself up over doing uncool things, she also has her moments where she's proven she is in fact a puny mortal...again...Sonic.

All this trouble becuase she was ashamed of reading a book, books are, after all, only for eggheads.

Video goes weird halfway through, unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVIpuM9y658

I actually think Sonic Team are trying to recognise this with Sonic; he's proud and stubborn and that will make him do stupid things, but they're doing it wrong, it just looks as if Sonic Team are all the while thinking "lol look at that idiot he's not cool in the slightest, what a joke!"

Edited by Mysterics

I don't see Sonic making requests he doesn't understand or breaking into a hospital at night to steal a book. Wait, I mean I don't see him going to such lengths to hide things out of pride. Sonic doesn't seem to bother so much with a persona, at least not among friends. I imagine that being so frank might not sit well with some of the people he deals with, and he might not always be the best listener, though. Maybe easy to preoccupy.

^See what you mean about the '20% cooler' line, but, I'm saying that Sonic Team are trying to make Sonic seem 'silly' and that there are just better ways to do it than they are right now,this would be a better way to go about it as opposed to overly long jokes about clobbering.

Sonic has an ego and I think it's realistic he put effort into keeping face,you probably agree somewhat but just that he wouldn't go that far, am I right? I guess I'm not really sure and am more lenient with it.

Edited by Mysterics

^See what you mean about the '20% cooler' line, but, I'm saying that Sonic Team are trying to make Sonic seem 'silly' and that there are just better ways to do it than they are right now,this would be a better way to go about it as opposed to overly long jokes about clobbering.

Sonic has an ego and I think it's realistic he put effort into keeping face,you probably agree somewhat but just that he wouldn't go that far, am I right? I guess I'm not really sure and am more lenient with it.

He tried to save face when Tails caught him talking with that robot.

^OK, so you.

1. Are Agreeing with me.

2. Didn't read the my post Phos replied to, so didn't know the point of my previous post.

?

Edited by Mysterics

^OK, so you.

1. Are Agreeing with me.

2. Didn't read the my post Phos replied to, so didn't know the point of my previous post.

?

You said Sonic needed to act more like RD, ok. You said he should do things silly like her, and said he should do things to hide his pride, I mentioned the robot scene.

What's so hard to understand? I was pointing out that he has done something like that,

she's not an exact fit for SegaSonic, she's more like a hybrid of Sonic from OVA and Sonic from AoSTH,

Nope. Not seeing it. Not the same kind of stubbornness or pride.

Edited by Tornado

You said Sonic needed to act more like RD, ok. You said he should do things silly like her, and said he should do things to hide his pride, I mentioned the robot scene.

What's so hard to understand? I was pointing out that he has done something like that,

I think you've missed my point somewhere, though I'm not quite sure where.

My main point is that I think Sonic seems to become primarily silly, and despite, not because he wants to protect he pride.

Whereas RD is primarily dignified and proud, and occasionally does silly things because she wants to protect that pride.

I guess I failed to say that, since your not a mind-reader and you don't agree with me, I guess I should should have realised that you wouldn't know I thought about it that way...

Edited by Mysterics

I think you've missed my point somewhere, though I'm not quite sure where.

My main point is that I think Sonic seems to become primarily silly, and despite, not because he wants to protect he pride.

Whereas RD is primarily dignified and proud, and occasionally does silly things because she wants to protect that pride.

I don't think we need to make Sonic act exactly like Rainbow Dash.

• Thumbs Up 3

We most certainly do not.

Because his ego is not his main defining personality trait or the drive behind most of his actions

Whereas hers is, and it does. They aren't the same personality, regardless of any outward similarities; so you can't make him more like her without basically changing his base ethos.

Edited by Tornado

^Well I always thought pride and ego was Sonic's main defining personality trait, so I guess that explains the rift here (if it isn't, what is?It certainly shouldn't be 'silly')

And no Shadic/Tornado,I don't mean just like her, I just meant the silliness should be handled similarly if Sonic Team want him to be silly at all (other characters poke fun at him and reprimand him, doing silly things to save face,only mildly despite wanting to save face.)

If 'silly' isn't what he's going to be, then the comparison isn't needed.

Edited by Mysterics

Little offtop here buuuut.... WHAT"S GOING ON WITH THOSE MY LITTLE PONYS?! I mean why everyone seem to be liking this cartoon or is this some kind of parody? I really want to know....

\And no Shadic/Tornado,I don't mean just like her, I just meant the silliness should be handled similarly if Sonic Team want him to be silly at all (other characters poke fun at him and reprimand him, doing silly things to save face,only mildly/rarely despite wanting to save face.)

If 'silly' isn't what he's going to be, then the comparison isn't needed.

But that's exactly what happened in Colors, albeit in one cutscene but still, its not like there were a lot of characters in Colors to start with so that comparison kind of falls flat, especially since RD actually cares her friends and doesnt ignore them in favor of hanging out with one person all the time. Sonic's a jackass.

Oook, that's what I meant when I said "SonicTeam are trying to recognise this with Sonic" but I just think Colours tried tomake silly the primary point of the character, when it should be a smaller factor, it's not just that, but the particular brand of silliness repels me, it seemed alot of times there could have been something but then the joke got killed, and excessive monologuing from Sonic, really...

Edited by Mysterics

Oook, that's what I meant when I said "SonicTeam are trying to recognise this with Sonic" but I just think Colours tried tomake silly the primary point of the character, when it should be a smaller factor, it's not just that, but the particular brand of silliness repels me, it seemed alot of times there could have been something but then the joke got killed, and excessive monologuing from Sonic, really...

Because I'm pretty sure silly is what they were going for with the entirety of Colors everything about it is whimsical, over the top and just downright nonsensical, but apparently everything about Colors sucks now, so now we're back to square one with people complaining about the characters,...so yeah, nothing's really changed with the series.

Edited by Shadic Claus

Everything about Colors sucks? Ignoring the fact that Colors hasn't ever received the usual visceral, frothing-at-the-mouth reaming across the entire web that every 3D game before it has, I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of people still appreciate the characters' portrayals in that game regardless of any changes or improvements they suggest for future titles; I certainly do. I love Sonic's personality in Colors, and I maintain that any issues with it boil down to what lack of any burdensome conflict he has to deal with in the plot itself and not his inherent traits.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 4

Everything about Colors sucks? Ignoring the fact that Colors hasn't ever received the usual visceral, frothing-at-the-mouth reaming across the entire web that every 3D game before it has, I think you'll find that the overwhelming majority of people still appreciate the characters' portrayals in that game regardless of any changes or improvements they suggest for future titles; I certainly do. I love Sonic's personality in Colors, and I maintain that any issues with it boil down to what lack of any burdensome conflict he has to deal with in the plot itself and not his inherent traits.

I don't think Colors is absolutely perfect either, I definitely think future titles could use improvements but its not a bad game, but sometimes I get the feeling that people go out of their way to seek flaws and take the game down, just for the sake of it. And this isn't just on this forum, I'm talking all over the internet. I know expecting everyone to like a game is stupid, but it'd be nice to see more positive than negative when it came to this series.

There is more positive than negative. The game has high review scores, and subsequently its public reception was better than most. Even NeoGAF proceeds to defend the game from any of the usual crass dismissals people will let slide with other titles. But you admit yourself that the game has noticeable flaws, so naturally people are going to discuss them, especially in topics concerning the franchise's future. Discussing flaws isn't the equivalent of hating something, and Colors certainly isn't hated by any stretch of the imagination.

• Thumbs Up 2

There is more positive than negative. The game has high review scores, and subsequently its public reception was better than most. Even NeoGAF proceeds to defend the game from any of the usual crass dismissals people will let slide with other titles. But you admit yourself that the game has noticeable flaws, so naturally people are going to discuss them, especially in topics concerning the franchise's future. Discussing flaws isn't the equivalent of hating something, and Colors certainly isn't hated by any stretch of the imagination.

I've let my pessimist side cloud my judgment again, i gotta stop doing that.

Apparently everything about Colors sucks now, so now we're back to square one with people complaining about the characters,...so yeah, nothing's really changed with the series.

Gees, I don't hate Sonic Colours, and don't hate Sonic's portrayal in the game either, have mixed feelings about both.

Gees, I don't hate Sonic Colours, and don't hate Sonic's portrayal in the game either, have mixed feelings about both.

I already got over that.

I think Sonic could learn a few lessons from Dante. He doesnt need to start swearing or making dirty jokes, but I think he could have better lines and maybe a little sarcasm.